• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk on Steam Deck should be perfect, but is ruined by always online.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I usually don't care, but with the ROG Ally and Steam Deck released, crap like always online is getting much more noticeable. I just requested a refund on Steam due to the recently released Tony Hawk's being always online. Steam reviews are also hammering this decision.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I usually don't care, but with the ROG Ally and Steam Deck released, crap like always online is getting much more noticeable. I just requested a refund on Steam due to the recently released Tony Hawk's being always online. Steam reviews are also hammering this decision.
It's also an issue for games like RDR2 and GTA. Games that should be a perfect fit end up gimped because of the Wifi/verification requirement on the terrible Cockstar launcher.

Always Online DRM is a cancer on PC (and Console) gaming that only really gets illuminated when these portables that don't always have an online connection shine a light on this BS.

Last edited:

graywolf323

ugh, removed from my cart then

I thought the always online thing was because of Epic Store stupidity but there’s no reason to pick this up to play on my Steam Deck if it’s still always online even on Steam 😑

Gamezone

Gold Member
Publishers who release games that are primarily single-player focused, but still have an always-online requirement, should be forced to slide down a splintered board on their bare ass and have their feet beaten.
I also think the game was cracked prior to the Steam release.

calistan

Steam Deck hates being offline. Recently I wasn't able to play a large chunk of my Steam Deck library on a trip because I hadn't played those games in a while and they'd been flagged as pending an update. So they could not be launched at all.

graywolf323

Steam Deck hates being offline. Recently I wasn't able to play a large chunk of my Steam Deck library on a trip because I hadn't played those games in a while and they'd been flagged as pending an update. So they could not be launched at all.
Steam Deck is just fine being offline, you could have put it in offline mode before you left for the trip to avoid that headache or at least made sure your games were up to date (which isn’t difficult unlike say Switch where it only auto updates recently played games)

as far as I know with Steam Deck you just have to restart it & it’ll automatically check to update everything (it’s not as good as checking for updates when you leave it running even on standby for some reason, but that’s more of a Steam issue I believe since I’ve noticed even the Steam client on my Windows laptop does the same thing)

GHG

I travelled around for most of August with my steam deck offline and didn't have any issues.

You just need to make sure your updates are complete and then set it to offline mode before you lose internet connection and you're good to go.

Last edited:

graywolf323

not when you're out and about. Steam Deck doesn't exactly have 4g/5g connectivity either....
exactly, I like to play a bit on my Deck over my lunch break at work (I made good progress in the Trails in the Sky trilogy the past few months thanks to that) but there’s no public wifi available where I work (and we’re not allowed to connect to the office wifi with personal devices)

I travelled around for most of August with my steam deck offline and didn't have any issues.

You just need to make sure your updates are complete and then set it to offline mode before you lose internet connection and you're good to go.
I will say, the one downside to offline mode that I’ve found is it doesn’t seem to track your playtime, so unless I know I’m going to be offline for a while I typically just leave mine in regular mode and let it be grumpy there’s no network to connect to (as long as I’m not playing a game with an online connection check this doesn’t seem to cause any problems)

edit: should note offline mode doesn’t track your playtime for things like stats but it does for things like refund requests, which shows they are actually tracking it but for some reason choosing not to show it for some inexplicable reason 🤷🏼‍♂️ honestly to me that’s one of the most baffling design decisions Steam seems to have made

Last edited:

Filben

Games with singleplayer modes with always online requirements should bomb so hard. This shit needs to die and people shouldn't support it.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Welp.... they just save me money. When I first heard Tony Hawk is coming to steam, the first thought in my mind was it will be perfect for the steam deck.

Antwix

From what I've read, the game isn't "always online". There's just an online check at the start of the game. Seems like you can go offline afterwards. Doesn't make it much better though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why Steam Deck users? why cant it just be everybody?
that-is-the-question-that-is-the-right-question.gif

Top Bottom