• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney emailed Gabe Newell calling Valve 'you assholes' over Steam policies, to which Valve's COO simply replied 'you mad bro?'

JimboJones

Valve makes games though, they have released 2 games in the last 4 years and also mantain a live service game in dota2. That they don't make AAA cinematic games doesn't mean they are not a game developer, if they have no interest in that, then they don't. There's plenty of those games.

What purpose would it serve to hire 200 more people, invest 100mill and the better part of a decade to make AAA in the vein of first party console games? Probably none, so that's why they don't do it.

They want to push VR and they want to push the steam deck, expect their game output to align with those goals.
Basically= Games I don't like therefore they don't exist.
Not Listening Season 5 GIF by Friends

Hudo

Is there legacy Unreal titles even on Epic Games store?
Good question. I reckon they have removed any traces of Unreal 1, 2 or the Unreal Tournament games. I naive quick search on the store didn't amount to anything for me, at least.

StereoVsn

Yeah man, it sucked balls but it had to happen I guess. Like you say, the patch hunting etc was/is a pain. If you try setting up old games out of the box now it can be hell finding the patch for the right region to install on old hardware. Digital even makes that easier lol.

PC games packaging is a lost art too. The new Baldurs Gate physical release is a good example. They made it so it fits on a shelf next to the 90s games but it it comes with a music CD, some stickers, a foldout map and a poster. Back in the day there'd be no soundtrackCD or stickers... just the game, a big fuck off manual, lore book and a cloth map. Call me crazy... I just spent the last few years re-buying my old PC big box collection after throwing away probably 80% of it over the years.
Yeah, I love the old school PC game boxes. Got all the old RPGs that I used to have, Doom, Civ, etc.

Fallout 1&2 had outstanding packaging. Manuals were amazing.

Reactions: M0G

SoloCamo

Good question. I reckon they have removed any traces of Unreal 1, 2 or the Unreal Tournament games. I naive quick search on the store didn't amount to anything for me, at least.

They did a while ago, as if they are trying to erase the past. It makes no sense as to why they can't host it. They even killed off a new UT project that as far as I'm aware was being worked on by volunteers. I hope Epic fails miserably and their engine is flaming garbage that too many games use at this point despite known issues. Yes I'm salty. UT99 was peak PC gaming to me.

Last edited:

Hudo

They did a while ago, as if they are trying to erase the past. It makes no sense as to why they can't host it. They even killed off a new UT project that as far as I'm aware was being worked on by volunteers. I hope Epic fails miserably and their engine is flaming garbage that too many games use at this point despite known issues. Yes I'm salty. UT99 was peak PC gaming to me.
Hell. Yeah. UT99 and Unreal 1 were fucking awesome back then. And I say that as a devoted Quaker

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm still salty that I didn't buy the Unreal Tournament games before they were delisted.
They didn't even give a warning before they removed them, did they?

M0G

Yeah, I love the old school PC game boxes. Got all the old RPGs that I used to have, Doom, Civ, etc.

Fallout 1&2 had outstanding packaging. Manuals were amazing.

Jealous of the Fallout games. I think they're worth a small fortune if they're in good condition..

SoloCamo

Hell. Yeah. UT99 and Unreal 1 were fucking awesome back then. And I say that as a devoted Quaker

Yup, and the wars if Quake is better than UT, etc. Played tons of Q3 too. UT2003 was great and 2004 was just icing on the cake. UT3 was ok so it's a shame that's the one the series died after. I still play UT99 multiple times a year, even if only against bots.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Seriously? You don't need to be a fucking expert to calculate that they expenses can't be too much. They only host the game files on their servers and some relatively low quality videos, which are probably their biggest expenses other than workforce and R&D. 30% for that is fucking robbery, yes Steam is an excellent service but it's still annoying that they're ripping off developers, especially indie ones

You actually need to be a fucking expert to calculate their expenses.

Do you know how much it costs to host 1 gb file on the cloud? Do you know how robust and rescilient their architecture is? How about coms to support voice chat, online gameplay and all of the rest of steam works? Do you know how much they spend in payment processing?

All of this in a global scale.

It's not only hosting files, my friend. When was the last time Steam had downtime? Even Facebook has downtime every know and again and you could say "they are only hosting a website".

Even if they are taking a large piece of the pie, what's the problem? Do you think publishers would pass down the savings to the consumers? Because if they were, games would be consistently cheaper on EGS or their own stores in the case of EA and Ubi and guess what, they are not all the time.

If Sweeney was interested in competing he would be investing in the store. He prefers to invest in giving away games hoping libraries would become large enough that people would be willing to go and play on their platform and abandon critical features like refunds, gifting games and reviews. Instead he rather money hats for temporary exclusives, sues companies and bitches on social media.

I mean, as consumers we get to spend our money where we want to but companies' profit split and expenses should not be one of our concerns. They only are in people's mouths because Sweeney brought that topic to the table as if it was more important to consumers than an online store cart (which they were lacking back then). At least in my opinion it is not more important.

It's fucking 2024 and I still can't gift V-Bucks to my children on any platform. How consumer friendly is that?

Hudo

I still play UT99 multiple times a year, even if only against bots.
I have recently pulled out Battlefield 1942 and played it with bots. Genuinely more fun than all modern Battlefield games (everything post Battlefield 2) combined

SoloCamo

I have recently pulled out Battlefield 1942 and played it with bots. Genuinely more fun than all modern Battlefield games (everything post Battlefield 2) combined

I'm a masochist when it comes to BF (stares at the game time hours log for BF2042 which I regrettably preordered) only because I've been playing BF1942's release and hope it will return to the glory days. By the time the games are EOL is when they are in an ok enough state to at least be fun here and there but I can't play for hours on end like I used to.

Top Bottom