• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thousands of Baltimore residents protest Freddie Gray’s death

Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem is (imho) GAF is just as dismissive as the right press is being.

right press: omg "peaceful" protest, and the vandalism and looting starts.
much of GAF/left: peaceful protest has some "mild property damage" and the reason for protest is ignored.

both are completely dismissive of the truth.

the truth is that there is certainly racism going on.

the truth ALSO is that there are TONS of instances of smaller, primarily black, groups inciting shit, vandalizing, looting, etc.

the fact is that racism sucks balls.. entire races should not be condemned by the actions of a minority segment of that race. the fact also is that horrible actions ARE committed by a minority segment of that race and in addressing it, this fact becomes prominent.

But neither side will concede the other's point. If the racists concede that it's not all members of such and such skin color.. then they can't profile, assume the worst, (what they call doing their job) etc. If the left concede that, yes, in many dense areas of the country a vast majority of crimes are committed by such and such a race, then they can't really argue against an increased number of arrests, or self defense, involving them.

oh hey look at that.. it's just like modern US politics!

it's a shitty situation.. and unless both sides admit to the reality of it... it's only going to get worse. both in unwarranted or extreme cases of police brutality, and of "what? he committed an armed robbery of the store and was killed? who cares that he had a gun, the police could have still tried to disarm him first!"

pretty ashamed of both sides frankly.

I don't think that associating race with acts of violence is what should be happening ever at all, but that's what I'm reading here, unless I'm mistaken. Mind elaborating on the bolded a little bit?

I don't think that associating race with acts of violence is what should be happening ever at all, but that's what I'm reading here, unless I'm mistaken. Mind elaborating on the bolded a little bit?

He's implying there's a pattern of pathological behaviour emanating from parts of black community and that we ought to recognize black crime. Im sure hell point to things like the black on black murder rates in Chicago and other cities. Inner city violence is undoubtedly an issue, ( why does he single out black people though? Its not just black gangs running wild and spilling blood in the streets) but Id love for him to elaborate on his comments about arrest rates and incarcerations and sentencing, like a staggering double standard doesnt exist when it comes to minor felonies.

He's implying there's a pattern pathological behaviour emanating from parts of black community. Im sure hell point to things like the black on black murder rates in Chicago and other cities. It's an undoubtedly an issue, but Id love for him to elaborate on his comments on arrest rates and incarcerations and sentencing, like a staggering double standard doesnt exist when it comes to minor felonies.

Never mind what the prison industrial complex has done to communities already.

you know what this protest needs?
an ice bucket like challenge.
Spread the problems of racism throughout social media through the young and old

NY Times article link.

Images from USA Today.
6mWnr3e.jpg

Some vines:

https://vine.co/v/eWeFF6ht3zF
https://vine.co/v/eWej0jY1622
That's not a police car, unnecessary property damage basically kills any support I have for these protests.

Infinite

you know what this protest needs?
an ice bucket like challenge.
Spread the problems of racism throughout social media through the young and old
They are trying that. The thing about something like the ice bucket challenge was that it is "fun" and you can get your favorite actors and actresses to join in. Racism isn't and it's a pretty tough sell as it's bad pr. People are more afraid of being called a racist than ever doing something racist and even talking about it openly. We happen to live in a society where people actually think you're the "real racist" for acknowledging that racism exists and rather shift the blame on personal responsibility (what about black on black crime/respectability politics etc.) for issues systemic racism causes. The sad truth is that the majority doesn't want to confront racism because it makes them uncomfortable.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
They are trying that. The thing sbout something like the ice bucket challenge was that it is "fun" and you can get your favorite actors and actresses to join in. Racism isn't and it's a pretty tough sell as it's bad pr. People are more afraid of being called a racist than ever doing something racist and even talking about it openly. We happen to live in a society where people actually think you're the real racist for acknowledging that racism exists and rather shift the blame on personal responsibility (what about black on black/respectability politics etc.). The sad truth is no one wants to confront racism because it makes them uncomfortable.

I don't find it uncomfortable to discuss racism. I do find it uncomfortable that people think causing damage and hurting people will somehow justify their cause.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
That's not a police car, unnecessary property damage basically kills any support I have for these protests.
If something like this is all it takes to kill your support, you must've not had much in the first place.

Yes, the property damage is terrible, but are you really going to use these few outliers to ignore the thousands of others doing the protest justice?

Infinite

I don't find it uncomfortable to discuss racism. I do find it uncomfortable that people think causing damage and hurting people will somehow justify their cause.
I find it uncomfortable that black people aren't seen as individuals by yourself apparently.

^That window does outweigh the message of injustice.
It's easy to dismiss vandalism when the window that's broken doesn't belong to your home or your car, for cash-strapped families with young children, you get violent in these protests and start destroying other people's property, they're not going to be very sympathetic to your cause and they're probably going to push for the police to tear gas your ass off their streets. I'm all for peaceful protests to fight things like racism but a protest should not be used as an opportunity to destroy things, vandalism and looting are acts of the stupid.

I think it's disingenuous to suggest that people are really "thinking" that causing damage and hurting people will justify their cause. That people get caught up in the moment and their own anger and sometimes act out (perhaps moreso in a large crowd due to mob mentality, like we see at white-dominated riots over say, sports team victories) is not new information and does not invalidate the totally legitimate grievances these people (and frankly, everyone) have against the police when they do things like this.

Crosseyes

Banned
It's easy to dismiss vandalism when the window that's broken doesn't belong to your home or your car, for cash-strapped families with young children, you get violent in these protests and start destroying other people's property, they're not going to be very sympathetic to your cause and they're probably going to push for the police to tear gas your ass off their streets.
Indeed if that is the reaction to the inevitable violent pushback when peaceful means of reforming the institution prove useless it will be on police as much as those supporting them when the community fights back violent suppression with violent resistance.

espher

All I'm saying is that human lives are worth more than property. You can't replace a human life. Very telling some folks are fixating on broken property over human life. The outrage is severely misplaced.

While there are probably some people in here who (based on past threads) are 'fixating' on broken property 'over' human life, a lot of people getting shit on in this thread are displaying correct levels of contempt for both sets of actions.

Anyone commenting about the rioting is automatically being 'tagged' as someone who is unwilling to comment or display outrage about Freddie Gray's murder or someone who values property over people (though I'll acknowledge, as I did earlier in the thread, there are probably some ever-present actors in these threads that always try to downplay that shit), and that's driving me nuts.

One thing I will say is that the people destroying innocent bystanders' property can't possibly be "hurting the message", because the people that care about the message can still understand the message while being mad about shit being destroyed, and the people that don't care about the message are going to try and use people destroying shit to go "SEE, SEE, MESSAGE LOST" and ignore or downplay the message. Smashing up businesses has no impact on 'the message'.

That still doesn't mean someone can't get mad about wanton destruction of property belonging to outside parties -- they just shouldn't be more pissed off about that than about the systemic racism and/or murder of black Americans. It's not a zero sum game. There's no "outrage tank" that can only hold so much outrage that you have to allocate, and that someone giving fucks about businesses getting smashed up means that's outrage that can't go somewhere else.

Enzom21

It's easy to dismiss vandalism when the window that's broken doesn't belong to your home or your car, for cash-strapped families with young children, you get violent in these protests and start destroying other people's property, they're not going to be very sympathetic to your cause and they're probably going to push for the police to tear gas your ass off their streets.

I guess from your standpoint it is easy to dismiss protesting police brutality because it doesn't affect you.

Infinite

Where in the universe did you come up with that claim? Because I said, I find it uncomfortable for people to cause violence and hurt people?
You're conflating the entirety of the people protesting with the few who caused property damage. If that isn't what you mean you should make yourself a little clearer as words mean things. Furthermore you'll be hard pressed to find someone you're talking to in this thread who thinks the property damage is excusable. You may find people here who understands what it must feel like to be gunned down by the state with impunity, then to hear your cries for justice and fairness fall on deaf ears and the frustration that must bring to where smashing shit around you in a fit of rage seems like the only way you're going to get heard. You won't find people endorsing it though so i really don't know what you're talking about. Your position also lacks empathy for those out there suffering. If you truly don't want these riots to happen you need to first understand why are they rioting to begin with. If you just want to wave fingers then go ahead but don't pretend like you care.

unsightly

How do you feel about unnecessary killing of unarmed minorities? Or does your sympathy only extend to inanimate objects?

Pretty hilarious, especially considering most people who get their car smashed during a riot are going to get a hefty insurance payout. Media distraction success.

the problem is (imho) GAF is just as dismissive as the right press is being.

right press: omg "peaceful" protest, and the vandalism and looting starts.
much of GAF/left: peaceful protest has some "mild property damage" and the reason for protest is ignored.

both are completely dismissive of the truth.

the truth is that there is certainly racism going on.

the truth ALSO is that there are TONS of instances of smaller, primarily black, groups inciting shit, vandalizing, looting, etc.

the fact is that racism sucks balls.. entire races should not be condemned by the actions of a minority segment of that race. the fact also is that horrible actions ARE committed by a minority segment of that race and in addressing it, this fact becomes prominent.

But neither side will concede the other's point. If the racists concede that it's not all members of such and such skin color.. then they can't profile, assume the worst, (what they call doing their job) etc. If the left concede that, yes, in many dense areas of the country a vast majority of crimes are committed by such and such a race, then they can't really argue against an increased number of arrests, or self defense, involving them.

oh hey look at that.. it's just like modern US politics!

it's a shitty situation.. and unless both sides admit to the reality of it... it's only going to get worse. both in unwarranted or extreme cases of police brutality, and of "what? he committed an armed robbery of the store and was killed? who cares that he had a gun, the police could have still tried to disarm him first!"

pretty ashamed of both sides frankly.
This is unbelievable..look in the mirror. The shame should be directed at your reflection.

Siegcram

I'm getting the oh so novel argument of black-on-black crime from that.

But he earned it since he conceded that "racism sucks balls".

This entire thread is full of the same shit that comes up every time: property damage is equated to centuries worth of oppression, people "inquiring" about the personal history of the victim, invoking the spirit of MLK and all the other bullshit just to detract from the protest and its message.

The obsession with material, replaceable (and more often than not, insured) goods and the complete disregard for human beings and their struggle in favor of those goods is one of the most vile aspects of the American culture. Only slightly behind the fucking racism this whole thing is about in the first place.

I'm getting the oh so novel argument of black-on-black crime from that.

But he earned it since he conceded that "racism sucks balls".

This entire thread is full of the same shit that comes up every time: property damage is equated to centuries worth of oppression, people "inquiring" about the personal history of the victim, invoking the spirit of MLK and all the other bullshit just to detract from the protest and its message.

The obsession with material, replaceable (and more often than not, insured) goods and the complete disregard for human beings and their struggle in favor of those goods is one of the most vile aspects of the American culture. Only slightly behind the fucking racism this whole thing is about in the first place.

To the bolded: That's the thing, all that this extra info and these hand picked images do nothing but move the spotlight further and further off of the actual reason that protests are happening in the first place. Where the actual issue is systematic and institutionalized racism by law enforcement, the issue becomes perceived as "black people protest and break shit". If we could take a step back and separate, as a matter of course in our perception of the issue (crisis, honestly), we would see these "additional facts" as nothing more than what you pointed out...an attempt to detract from the protest and its message.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You're part of the problem.

This is unbelievable..look in the mirror. The shame should be directed at your reflection.

pretending like race (any race, given a location) isn't one of MANY markers in determining and predicting crime, you are playing a zero sum game.. good luck with that.

"white male 30 year old charged with rape in the inner city"

all bolded items are markers. there's no excuse AT ALL for what cops have done in issuing unusually extreme (and/or lethal) force in near blatant acts of racism and/or profiling .. but to want to throw specific markers out completely and standing firm that those markers are just wholesale racism (they're not inherently), is basically just going to strengthen the actual racists' beliefs.

america has been heading on a crash course for extreme ideological segregation for ~20 years now.. and this is another example of it. All I am doing is recognizing that. But of course each extreme side to that argument is going to call me "part of the problem".

Funny. you guys here call me a part of the problem. Racists call me a part of the problem. and yet here we are. let me know how that works out for everyone... :(

That picture, what in the fuck?

And borghe, you didnt respond to any of the pertinent questions and comments about your throwaway remarks on arrest rates.

Reset

Well the person did say they lost support for the protests after the riots started.

Still don't know how that means he's ok with police brutality. So just because he's against property damage and violence against innocent people, it also means he's ok with police brutality? Ok.

To the bolded: That's the thing, all that this extra info and these hand picked images do nothing but move the spotlight further and further off of the actual reason that protests are happening in the first place. Where the actual issue is systematic and institutionalized racism by law enforcement, the issue becomes perceived as "black people protest and break shit". If we could take a step back and separate, as a matter of course in our perception of the issue (crisis, honestly), we would see these "additional facts" as nothing more than what you pointed out...an attempt to detract from the protest and its message.
There have been tons of peaceful protests done on this topic yet nothing gets resolved. People are outraged that once again an American citizen has been killed due to police brutality. The protests didn't happen until after the system that is supposed to protect and serve American citizens once again failed. These violent protests, while not acceptable, do draw national attention to the topic. There have been plenty of peaceful protests and things aren't changing. I'm not justifying that people destroying innocent people's property is okay but that it is understandable when numerous attempts have been made to change things through peaceful protests and through the legal system in the past. When all methods and systems in place for their voice to be heard hasn't been working; people are going to try other ways to get their voice heard.

Still don't know how that means he's ok with police brutality. So just because he against property damage and violence against innocent people it also means he's ok with police brutality? Ok.

Unless he wants to do something about police brutality, silence is compliance.

And I say that to everyone pissy about these protests spiraling out. Have a problem but still want to do something about police brutality? Lead by example.

Don't want to? Well, I'm not surprised.

prwxv3

I'm glad more and more are turning out for protests. this is how change happens.

Also, I really, really don't like the narrative being pushed in this thread by some that all white people are complicit in systemic racism and deserve to have their stuff smashed. Allies exist. You can't just assume things like that based off skin color.

This is fairly reductive thinking. If property goes undamaged, is that actively furthering systemic racism, as this one or the other thinking would imply?

I agree. I don't want this to distract from the just cause but business owners/civilians don't deserve to have their property destroyed. Many business owners don't have enough money to get damage like this fixed.

Still don't know how that means he's ok with police brutality. So just because he's against property damage and violence against innocent people, it also means he's ok with police brutality? Ok.

So one condemning riot violence against innocent people means one must also condone police brutality?

Quite the logic leap you've made there

That's not what he's saying.

What he (and many others in this thread) is wondering is why is the riot violence of a select few the thing that makes his blood boil, and the thing that drives him to post in this thread? Not the peaceful protests or the unjust murder of Gray, but the small minority of rioters who smashed windows. He cares so much about broken windows yet he said nothing of the senseless killing of unarmed minorities. The rioting and violence were already condemned by the peaceful protests and family of the deceased:

Mr. Gray’s sister, appearing composed less than 48 hours before her brother’s scheduled funeral, spoke only briefly, saying, “Freddie Gray would not want this. Freddie’s father and mother does not want the violence.”

The OP's article also has several other quotes condemning the violence. Clearly those who want to spread the message of justice are distancing themselves from the violent outbreaks.

But yet there are still people in this thread who insist on joining the two together, and using the violence as a facile excuse to dismiss the message entirely.

If you're in this thread talking about nothing but broken windows that speaks mountains of your priorities. You're not "condoning police brutality", you are ignoring it, which in and of itself is a problem.

Crosseyes

Banned
Because if he's turned off enough by the violent outbursts of the oppressed people that he dismisses the cause of the violence he's implicitly for keeping the status quo of police brutality and lack of liability. That's how things are already when peaceful protests don't accomplish any actual change.

Enzom21

So one condemning riot violence against innocent people means one must also condone police brutality?

Quite the logic leap you've made there
They are protesting against police brutality and he wrote that he no longer supported them. There was no leap of logic, it is exactly what he wrote.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
And borghe, you didnt respond to any of the pertinent questions and comments about your throwaway remarks on arrest rates.

markers. 5% arrested being black, 20% being latino, 75% being white.. etc.. all markers and statistics. people want that info thrown out? Why? Then let's throw out age, gender, location of the crime, or anything else that can be categorized?

And the part is... shitty racist cops don't need those statistics to be shitty racist cops. "6% of crimes in rich white suburpia are caused by minorities" won't stop shitty cops from needlessly pulling over a minority.

RACISM is a problem. 100%.

but acting like race is irrelevant in virtually every context is a) not entirely accurate especially in reports, trends, etc.., the same as any other marker, and b) is going to get us absolutely nowhere in actually solving the problem.

the problem is asshole racist cops. pretending like it doesn't matter that it's a certain demographic of person in a specific area causing the vast majority of the trouble, isn't going to do shit about there being asshole racist cops who feel they are justified.

I don't know what the answer is.. at the same time among all of these peaceful protests.... all I see is strengthened resolve (and you see it reported constantly, including pics in this very thread like above) among the people being protested against... just seems like a lose lose scenario (aka zero sum game)

edit - and I mean I am just stupid for posting anything in here.. I get it. I just don't see the paths that both extreme sides are heading on as resulting in a win for anyone.. just further ideological and political segregation for this country... and who the hell knows where that will end... :( Sorry some of you guys took offense. Was not my intent. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom