• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thousands of Baltimore residents protest Freddie Gray’s death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpcrawler

He's calling you a House N-word. Look it up if you need further clarification.

Yeah, I googled it. I don't see how it is applicable to me. I didn't say I am black so it wouldn't be offensive, nor did I say I defend the police brutality in the US. I just think that two wrongs don't make it right. So kinda weird to throw this as an insult that is very vague and doesn't really insult me nor describe what I believe.

In terms that won't get me banned, I think it's fucking stupid that you're putting more focus on this potentially undermining the cause rather than the people that would disregard the years of police brutality all because a few people are being violent.

Which do you think is the worse problem: people rioting or people using rioting to justify racist beliefs and disregard the peaceful protesting and the reason people are in the streets?

As I said, two wrongs don't make it right. The majority of the protesters who didn't take part in looting and robbing should have step in. Otherwise you get Pro-right news channels in US showing cherry-picked footage to further push racial stereotypes.

As someone from Baltimore not too far from that "hood" this thread is seriously pissing me off. Everybody stuck on the riots is an asshole. The cops didn't even show up until protests hit downtown. Why? Well you gotta make sure whitey is safe at the fucking orioles game that's more important.

Baltimore cops are racist as fuck and the hoods in this city are decrepit and the youth doesn't have shit to do in the city and aren't heard but that doesn't matter because the orioles are playing.

Everybody thats playing the whole "riots" game needs to ask why these kids were rioting anyway. Why have blacks been rioting for the past couple of months.

I am minority myself in my country, yet at no point would I undermine my or my group cause if such issue would arise, not only undermine, but undermine by criminal and other activities that play exactly into stereotypes.

Any protest of significant size will have a degree of violence involved.

If it seems like it won't, you can be sure that whoever opposes the movement will infiltrate or instigate it and make sure that it does.

Precisely because a lot of people would rather go "ohmygoshtheviolence" and discard the whole thing cuz lolniggersgonniggeramirite than focus on whatever systemic issue the protest is attacking.

MLK realized that before someone decided to ventilate his skull. Was his rant against the moderate liberal.

Everybody thats playing the whole "riots" game needs to ask why these kids were rioting anyway. Why have blacks been rioting for the past couple of months.
Months?

Siegcram

As I said, two wrongs don't make it right. The majority of the protesters who didn't take part in looting and robbing should have step in. Otherwise you get Pro-right news channels in US showing cherry-picked footage to further push racial stereotypes.
Are you really dense enough to type that sentence and not realize whose at fault there?

it's not the protesters, violent or otherwise

Rembrandt

Banned
Yeah, I googled it. I don't see how it is applicable to me. I didn't say I am black so it wouldn't be offensive, nor did I say I defend the police brutality in the US. I just think that two wrongs don't make it right. So kinda weird to throw this as an insult that is very vague and doesn't really insult me nor describe what I believe.

lol, you should answer the question, though.

Do you also think we should extend our hand towards all the racists and teach them the errors of their ways?

tkscz

You are right, what Rembrandt is saying to you sounds like it is out of his anger and he shouldn't be attacking you for being an outsider looking in. Quite frankly, I agree with you as not only an insider, but a black man who, in 2001, went through this personally (2001 Cincinnati Riots for the same reason). Rioting did nothing but made shit harder and gave the media ammo. Yes, we are judge by these people a lot, and that bothers the shit out of me, but this only adds to the judgement.

However, from his last comment, it sounds like he is saying racist people are rioting? Is that what is happening right now? That would be different if so, but if we're the ones rioting, that won't give us anything, and give them too much ammo.

As someone from Baltimore not too far from that "hood" this thread is seriously pissing me off. Everybody stuck on the riots is an asshole. The cops didn't even show up until protests hit downtown. Why? Well you gotta make sure whitey is safe at the fucking orioles game that's more important.

Baltimore cops are racist as fuck and the hoods in this city are decrepit and the youth doesn't have shit to do in the city and aren't heard but that doesn't matter because the orioles are playing.

See. I was unaware of that. Didn't know they showed up until the protest started. Protest don't need cops, they just escalate shit until it becomes a riot.

CSJ

All I'm saying is that human lives are worth more than property. You can't replace a human life. Very telling some folks are fixating on broken property over human life. The outrage is severely misplaced.

I don't think it's fair to argue against people who are annoyed with vandalism or physical harm when the thread is about the protest itself. There's a thread for the cause of it so why not take it there? Honest query, I mean they are two separate subjects and it's more fitting for this thread than the other.

I'm not arguing either way though, I think there's place for both.

But honestly the people affected by this couldn't give a shit what you or I think, they have to deal with the aftermath. It's not up to us to define what's worse in someone eyes. That's personal loss or the loss of someone or something you don't know.

keuja

How the hell do you sever 80% of someone's spinal chord? Did those cops stomp on him or what? They are worse than animals.

Rembrandt

Banned
You are right, what Rembrandt is saying to you sounds like it is out of his anger and he shouldn't be attacking you for being an outsider looking in. Quite frankly, I agree with you as not only an insider, but a black man who, in 2001, went through this personally (2001 Cincinnati Riots for the same reason). Rioting did nothing but made shit harder and gave the media ammo. Yes, we are judge by these people a lot, and that bothers the shit out of me, but this only adds to the judgement.

However, from his last comment, it sounds like he is saying racist people are rioting? Is that what is happening right now? That would be different if so, but if we're the ones rioting, that won't give us anything, and give them too much ammo.

What's funny is that occupy wall street was pretty peaceful and they were attacked by cops and still got dogged out by the media. They were also subsequently forgotten.

But yeah, let's chill out before they find more reasons to hate us.

lednerg

Then they moved to other businesses, like dinner where you can see desperate female owner/manager trying to plead them to stop destroying her place. No one provoked them there. Then you have big group of young adults/teenagers talking on camera to RT journalist and later mugging her. The link I saw online before to YouTube was taken down by RT for some reason, but I was able to google webm file with it someone linked on twitter.

http://a.pomf.se/edjqca.webm

All I am saying, this type of behavior does nothing other than promoting racial profiling and prejudice against black people in United States

It depends on how it's being covered in the news this week. The story should be: The scheduled march of thousands of people ended without incident. Afterwards, this very small group broke off and had a mini riot.

This kind of thing happens all the time with big protests. During Occupy there were these so-called 'anarchists' doing black bloc tactics, running around smashing up windows of local businesses and spray painting slogans. They ended up becoming the face of the movement, despite how they were a miniscule fraction of the overall group. Some of the more conspiratorial minded believe that they were agents provocateurs, hired to sway public opinion. Whether or not that's true, they definitely didn't help the movement and led to a lot of public apathy towards OWS.

The difference with #BlackLivesMatter is that it is very focused on one issue. An issue that is not going to just go away, and one that many people feel very passionate about. Unjustified shootings of unarmed minorities by the police don't seem to be stopping. People still want body cameras on cops. People still aren't comfortable with the militarization of the police force. If someone sees a mini riot like this one or in Ferguson and goes "black people don't deserve fair treatment because they're animals," well that person wasn't ever going to be swayed in the first place.

tkscz

What's funny is that occupy wall street was pretty peaceful and they were attacked by cops and still got dogged out by the media.

But yeah, let's chill out.

Not telling you to chill out, I'm asking you to not attack someone who was just giving their opinion on a forum. I understand your anger, I understand theirs. Not a day goes by when I don't hear this shit and want to go the fuck off and do something I know I'll regret later in life. But I stop myself and think about it. It won't solve anything, it won't fix the problem. It's releasing the anger brought on from how they treat us and then get away with it. But giving assholes in the media ammo to use against us, to distract others from the real issue, that's even worse in my eyes. And you know that's what they do, it's what they did here. So much so that people forgot there were even peaceful protest prior to the riots. I don't want that happening again.

Provide a quality question then. The victim's past in these cases is entirely irrelevant and discussing it serves only and exclusively to shift the blame.

This isn't how things work. I ask a question and it is up to your discretion to whether or not you want to respond.

I don't think it really matters. I'd imagine that they'll use the small amount of protester violence for all their deflection needs.

They already seem to be. That's all Fox News was focused on. I don't even think they commented on why people showed up to Baltimore in the first place.

BPoole

Downtown is a big tourist attraction and makes the city a lot of money. If it is no longer safe (much like the rest of Baltimore), that just outs the city in an even worse position than it already is. There are only so many officers in the city so obviously they're going to protect what is in the best interest of the city. If they split up into smaller groups they wouldn't be as effective.

Also, referring to a group of white people as "whitey" is racist so you should stop.

Rembrandt

Banned
Not telling you to chill out, I'm asking you to not attack someone who was just giving their opinion on a forum. I understand your anger, I understand theirs. Not a day goes by when I don't hear this shit and want to go the fuck off and do something I know I'll regret later in life. But I stop myself and think about it. It won't solve anything, it won't fix the problem. It's releasing the anger brought on from how they treat us and then get away with it. But giving assholes in the media ammo to use against us, to distract others from the real issue, that's even worse in my eyes. And you know that's what they do, it's what they did here. So much so that people forgot there were even peaceful protest prior to the riots. I don't want that happening again.

Gonna happen regardless. When character assassination is still a prevalent thing and peaceful protesting is essentially ignored, my last worry is giving racists more ammo. They're going to hate us regardless and its convenient to ignore us.

Downtown is a big tourist attraction and makes the city a lot of money. If it is no longer safe (much like the rest of Baltimore), that just outs the city in an even worse position than it already is. There are only so many officers in the city so obviously they're going to protect what is in the best interest of the city. If they split up into smaller groups they wouldn't be as effective.

Also, referring to a group of white people as "whitey" is racist so you should stop.

Aren't you a cop or something?

You can't be racist towards whites, as has been stated by many on this forum previously.

I agree with the other guy, as an outsider myself, that's saying 2 wrongs don't make a right.

The view of "who gives a shit about the property owners, no-one died there so it doesn't matter" is fucking disgusting and if you're of that view, then you are also part of the problem.

Hopefully the cops responsible are dealt with through the appropriate means and the violent thugs also.

BPoole

Gonna happen regardless. When character assassination is still a prevalent thing and peaceful protesting is essentially ignored, my last worry is giving racists more ammo. They're going to hate us regardless and its convenient to ignore us.

Aren't you a cop or something?
No, I work at a law firm in Baltimore

I live in Baltimore and people complaining about "riots" are hilarious. We are talking about thousands of people mobilized for hours and maybe an hour or two of pockets of knuckleheads breaking off and busting windows, throwing trash cans and engaging in fights when the cops got involved. Keep in mind that this wasn't even the first protest over Freddie Gray's death and there were no "riots" then. Anyone focused on a couple of busted windows has a clear agenda. The message wasn't "lost;" you never wanted it to get out. If it wasn't broken glass then it would be complaints about blocking traffic or he was no angel or we don't have all the facts or whatever other nonsense always derails threads like this.

Some people may have forgotten American history but we were brought over here in chains and I guarantee you that there weren't enough windows in the world to break back then to justify the slave trade.

First of all the only people who say Baltimore isn't safe are white people who are scared to leave the county and only go downtown. I've been living here for 22 years and this city isn't that bad unless you either don't have street smarts or are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also your next point is wrong as well because the Police did break off into smaller groups so just be quiet because you clearly don't know what you are talking about.
Baltimore only cares about the inner harbor and the surrounding hotspots because that is where tourists and white people go. The inner cities are suffering because of this. Public schools? Getting millions of dollars cut from budget. Activities for inner city youth? All rec centers are gone? IT AINT SHIT IN BALTIMORE FOR THESE KIDS TO DO. But they damn make sure county schools and kids have everything they fucking need. These kids riot because they know they won't be heard...by whitey.

*Splinter

Exactly. I don't have to preface my posts with "Oh I totally think it's great that they're protesting but..." to point out shit I don't like. Just because I don't bring something up doesn't mean it's not something I think about.
I know I'm super late here (and this poster is already banned), but since we're 600 posts in and still stuck on this point, I'll chip in:

Zen (and others making similarly points) has completely missed the point. These protests only serve to raise awareness to a serious issue that people need to be talking about. By talking about the pocket violence instead of the reason for the protest, you are undermining the protest.

Yes, it shouldn't happen and yes, Fox and co will be all over it to push their agendas, but if you join in that rhetoric you're a part of the problem. Don't be Fox.
How about going and breaking the windows of one of the establishments that you're angry against instead of fucking up innocent people's property? It is irrational to break the property of people who have nothing to do with what you're angry with. This doesn't suddenly change depending on the situation. It has nothing to do with race. That's irrational behavior for any human being. Breaking a window of a deli doesn't suddenly become a rational action just because you're angry with police brutality. And I don't think criminal activity should be ignored, regardless of why it was done.
It's irrational and shouldn't happen, but it's going to happen, and I don't say that as a justification.

YoungHav

Banned
I love the recurrent meme that any "bad" black individual behavior is a reflection on all blacks. Black people are like Mass Effect 2's Legion.

A few friends of mine were marching with them most of the day Saturday. They had nothing but positive things to say about the crowd and the mood in general. They left before the bad stuff happened though, so I haven't gotten a ground-level viewpoint on what went down.

My sister (who is a nurse in Baltimore) was pretty frustrated Saturday night, as apparently they ended up having to deal with a lot crazy shit.

BPoole

First of all the only people who say Baltimore isn't safe are white people who are scared to leave the county and only go downtown. I've been living here for 22 years and this city isn't that bad unless you either don't have street smarts or are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also your next point is wrong as well because the Police did break off into smaller groups so just be quiet because you clearly don't know what you are talking about.
Baltimore only cares about the inner harbor and the surrounding hotspots because that is where tourists and white people go. The inner cities are suffering because of this. Public schools? Getting millions of dollars cut from budget. Activities for inner city youth? All rec centers are gone? IT AINT SHIT IN BALTIMORE FOR THESE KIDS TO DO. But they damn make sure county schools and kids have everything they fucking need. These kids riot because they know they won't be heard...by whitey.
Way to double down on your racism against white people.

Baltimore is not that safe. Am I just imagining all the blue light districts sprawled throughout the city? What about Baltimore being touted as one of the most dangerous cities in the world (#36) and the 7th most dangerous in the US (http://lawstreetmedia.com/fbi-uniform-crime-report-2012/)

I used to hang out in Baltimore almost every weekend as well and saw crimes all the time. My ex gf was shoved on the ground and had her purse stolen just a few months ago walking down Charles St.

Saying "Baltimore is safe if you've got Street smarts" is idiotic and just further proves that it is not actually safe. If I place is safe, anyone should be able to go anywhere lawfully and not feel threatened or worried that they're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Crosseyes

Banned
With all these incidents continuing to get more publicity and tensions getting worse the violent outbreaks are only going to get worse. If the institution that keeps murdering and imprisoning people doesn't change from peaceful measures then more and more of the oppressed population will have to resort to violence to fight back against their oppressors.

And I just don't see how the institution of America's law enforcement is going to transform into a fair organization through peaceful means. Their current reaction to the many different calls for justice shows they are unwilling to reform through peaceful means. They'll either be brought too much pressure from both sides from their methods creating the violence they're supposed to protect the white population from, or they'll succeed in violently quelling the current swell of unrest.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Baltimore is not that safe. Am I just imagining all the blue light districts sprawled throughout the city? What about Baltimore being touted as one of the most dangerous cities in the world (#36) and the 7th most dangerous in the US (http://lawstreetmedia.com/fbi-uniform-crime-report-2012/)

I used to hang out in Baltimore almost every weekend as well and saw crimes all the time. My ex gf was shoved on the ground and had her purse stolen just a few months ago walking down Charles St.

Saying "Baltimore is safe if you've got Street smarts" is idiotic and just further proves that it is not actually safe. If I place is safe, anyone should be able to go anywhere lawfully and not feel threatened or worried that they're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yeah, statistics aside, you could just post pics from Fredrick Ave/Road and people here would likely agree it doesn't look very safe comparatively speaking, mainly due to the large amount of abandoned and dilapidated rowhomes. Course, this is the perspective of someone who grew up outside of the city.

I agree though that more of the money being made in the Harbor area should go towards making the rest of the city as safe and desirable to live in.

You can post statistics all day it doesn't touch on the actual reason why these areas are like this. It also assumes that everyone in that area is hostile which isn't true. I honestly feel worse walking around downtown,fells point area because of the people there staring at me or saying racist things to blacks which is an everyday occurrence in this city.

As for the bolded congratulations you now know why black people feel the way we do.

BPoole

Yeah, statistics aside, you could just post pics from Fredrick Ave/Road and people here would likely agree it doesn't look very safe comparatively speaking, mainly due to the large amount of abandoned and dilapidated rowhomes. Course, this is the perspective of someone who grew up outside of the city.

I agree though that more of the money being made in the Harbor area should go towards making the rest of the city as safe and desirable to live in.
The city definitely has a funding problem across the board. Just imagine if a huge riot broke out downtown and people were scared to go there. That is a lot of money being missed out on. The riot that happened outside Camden Yards will probably turn away families for some time because nobody isn't going to take their kids places that they feel threatened in.

Needlecrash

Baltimore: Streets are calling. If you're in any area with Blue Light cameras, best to get out of the area quickly. North Avenue has a LOT of them. Stay away from Cherry Hill if possible.

Baltimore: Streets are calling. If you're in any area with Blue Light cameras, best to get out of the area quickly. North Avenue has a LOT of them.
Lol and the funny part about that is the police said the camera wasn't even working in the area to get the footage of what happened. It miracoulsy cut out all of a sudden.

Edit: and don't get me started on the pure fuckery that is the inner harbor/ fells point area.

Van Owen

Banned
So did Freddie Gray have any "baggage" with him like Brown did so that the (shitty) media can focus on it? Was he a gang banger of some sort?

I've just seen image of his wrap sheet floating around. If true, he has a bunch of arrests for selling drugs, a burglary, but that was mostly it.

*Splinter

I've just seen image of his wrap sheet floating around. If true, he has a bunch of arrests for selling drugs, a burglary, but that was mostly it.
The U.S. has a justice system, that system does not (pertain to) include being murdered while in police custody for 'miscellaneous' offences.

Needlecrash

Lol and the funny part about that is the police said the camera wasn't even working in the area to get the footage of what happened. It miracoulsy cut out all of a sudden.

Edit: and don't get me started on the pure fuckery that is the inner harbor/ fells point area.

Why am I not surprised that the camera wasn't "working"? I haven't had too many issues of the Inner Harbor but I hear that Fells Point has gotten worse over the years. I personally haven't been there enough to give my opinion but I've heard from others that it's not look that great.

Oersted

All I'm saying is that human lives are worth more than property. You can't replace a human life. Very telling some folks are fixating on broken property over human life. The outrage is severely misplaced.

There is a infamous sarcastic saying in my country. To paraphrase:
" Of course I'm more worried when windows get broken and cars destroyed. My house has windows and I own a car. I don't own people."

I'm afraid there is some truth to it.

Van Owen

Banned
The U.S. has a justice system, that system does not (pertain to) include being murdered while in police custody for 'miscellaneous' offences.

I know? I'm just saying that the image has been floating around, not that it makes what happened excusable.

I didn't really present it as a choice - If one of these incidents were forced upon me is more in line with what I was getting at.

I'm glad more and more are turning out for protests. this is how change happens.

Also, I really, really don't like the narrative being pushed in this thread by some that all white people are complicit in systemic racism and deserve to have their stuff smashed. Allies exist. You can't just assume things like that based off skin color.

I think I'd rather have my property damaged than be shot in the back multiple times. Almost too close to call though.

This is fairly reductive thinking. If property goes undamaged, is that actively furthering systemic racism, as this one or the other thinking would imply?

With all these incidents continuing to get more publicity and tensions getting worse the violent outbreaks are only going to get worse. If the institution that keeps murdering and imprisoning people doesn't change from peaceful measures then more and more of the oppressed population will have to resort to violence to fight back against their oppressors.

And I just don't see how the institution of America's law enforcement is going to transform into a fair organization through peaceful means. Their current reaction to the many different calls for justice shows they are unwilling to reform through peaceful means. They'll either be brought too much pressure from both sides from their methods creating the violence they're supposed to protect the white population from, or they'll succeed in violently quelling the current swell of unrest.

Whats interesting is the mayor, police commissioner, and deputy PD of Baltimore are all black and been in office a while. Something like 45% of the baltimore police dept are black (65% or so of the city is black).

I think our grand kids are going to look back at our century and wonder what the hell was wrong with us for prosecuting the war on drugs so long. So many of these citizens vs. cops problems have the root cause of drugs. The money made in the drug trade fuels extremely violent confrontational situations, which leads to the police treating every situation as something that can blow up into open warfare. So many black men are locked up for ridiculous drug offenses that robs neighborhoods of role models and fathers.

Unfortunately without the war on drugs police dept budgets would be slashed, number of officers on staff reduced, the entire prison system would be gutted, etc. There is a lot of money involved and its going to take a long, long, long time to transition to a different system.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This has to be the snarkiest, black and white statement I've ever read on the Internet.

the problem is (imho) GAF is just as dismissive as the right press is being.

right press: omg "peaceful" protest, and the vandalism and looting starts.
much of GAF/left: peaceful protest has some "mild property damage" and the reason for protest is ignored.

both are completely dismissive of the truth.

the truth is that there is certainly racism going on.

the truth ALSO is that there are TONS of instances of smaller, primarily black, groups inciting shit, vandalizing, looting, etc.

the fact is that racism sucks balls.. entire races should not be condemned by the actions of a minority segment of that race. the fact also is that horrible actions ARE committed by a minority segment of that race and in addressing it, this fact becomes prominent.

But neither side will concede the other's point. If the racists concede that it's not all members of such and such skin color.. then they can't profile, assume the worst, (what they call doing their job) etc. If the left concede that, yes, in many dense areas of the country a vast majority of crimes are committed by such and such a race, then they can't really argue against an increased number of arrests, or self defense, involving them.

oh hey look at that.. it's just like modern US politics!

it's a shitty situation.. and unless both sides admit to the reality of it... it's only going to get worse. both in unwarranted or extreme cases of police brutality, and of "what? he committed an armed robbery of the store and was killed? who cares that he had a gun, the police could have still tried to disarm him first!"

pretty ashamed of both sides frankly.

If the left concede that, yes, in many dense areas of the country a vast majority of crimes are committed by such and such a race, then they can't really argue against an increased number of arrests, or self defense, involving them.

Well we certainly know this theory doesnt apply to drug felonies, seeing as there is a pandemic of "epic proportions" in white suburban America involving abuse of heroin and prescription drugs. But the cops arent gatecrashing those communities, are they? Of course the community over policed will produce crime stats totally out of proportion with their numbers. Just look at Ferguson.

the problem is (imho) GAF is just as dismissive as the right press is being.

right press: omg "peaceful" protest, and the vandalism and looting starts.
much of GAF/left: peaceful protest has some "mild property damage" and the reason for protest is ignored.

both are completely dismissive of the truth.

the truth is that there is certainly racism going on.

the truth ALSO is that there are TONS of instances of smaller, primarily black, groups inciting shit, vandalizing, looting, etc.

the fact is that racism sucks balls.. entire races should not be condemned by the actions of a minority segment of that race. the fact also is that horrible actions ARE committed by a minority segment of that race and in addressing it, this fact becomes prominent.

But neither side will concede the other's point. If the racists concede that it's not all members of such and such skin color.. then they can't profile, assume the worst, (what they call doing their job) etc. If the left concede that, yes, in many dense areas of the country a vast majority of crimes are committed by such and such a race, then they can't really argue against an increased number of arrests, or self defense, involving them.

oh hey look at that.. it's just like modern US politics!

it's a shitty situation.. and unless both sides admit to the reality of it... it's only going to get worse. both in unwarranted or extreme cases of police brutality, and of "what? he committed an armed robbery of the store and was killed? who cares that he had a gun, the police could have still tried to disarm him first!"

pretty ashamed of both sides frankly.

Now THIS is a black and white statement.

Ayt

Banned
I don't get why all these protest turn violent and to looting at first opportunity. Why innocent business owners have to suffer? Why loot stores? Even more, why destroy stores with no rational reason? Now the store owners will feel apprehensive whenever blacks walk past in the future. A natural fear instinct that reminds them that last time blacks walked past they indiscriminately destroyed the place. And thus racial profiling and prejudice will only intensify.

And we have people in this same thread justifying such behavior even though those businesses have nothing to do with random police or random people showing up to harass protesters (I didn't see a single video of that with only videos being of clashes).

Why do riots break out after relatively meaningless sporting events?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom