• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This "Director's Cut" thing is the dumbest shit.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ah I see that you work for your employer for free also. So do I. I set up an agreement with my bank that I would just not pay my mortgage and they were happy enough with that. I really don’t understand why people are so annoyed about this.
None of that is relative. If you buy software then you expect any small changes made to software to be included. If it’s enough for an expansion then yes I can see a difference. If it’s just a resolution boost and a couple of tweaks then no they are just being greedy.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
None of that is relative. If you buy software then you expect any small changes made to software to be included. If it’s enough for an expansion then yes I can see a difference. If it’s just a resolution boost and a couple of tweaks then no they are just being greedy.
Totally get that and I agree. But Death stranding is getting a lot more than a resolution boost and a couple of tweaks…. And that was OP’s point.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Kojima is actually against the term "directors cut" iirc.

It's no different than "game of the year" editions. People buy them. Publishers want to extract as much money out of a game as they can. Games now take 4-5 years and 50+million to make. Expect it to get worse.

Kerotan

It makes more sense calling them directors cuts instead of GOTY editions. If anything this should be commended. Ultimately there's an upgrade path for those who own the game. $10 for death stranding which is a very fair price as not only do you get new content but also a ps5 version.

Ghost is $20 for ps4 or $30 to also upgrade to ps5. Again fair prices as there's a sizable expansion. If you don't own the game and need to buy the full price version it's also very fair as you're getting one of the best games of last year which a lot of content.

If you're a cheap ass then just wait for the version you want to go on sale. Black Friday isn't far away so you won't be waiting long. I've often taken the cheap ass option when it suits.

Kerotan

If it makes you guys feel any better. I bought GTAV on the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PC, and will be buying the upcoming remaster this Fall at full price.
If you have ps plus it's free. I also bought it on PS3 disc, then PS3 physical then ps4 physical lol. If it wasn't free with ps plus for PS5 I'd buy it again lol.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Kojima is so fucking obsessed with Hollywood it's pathetic. Just make a movie already buddy.

And everyone is so obsessed with hating on the guy that they attribute corporate decisions that have nothing to do with him to his name! It's a vicious cycle!

He developed this game with Sony studios, ffs. Jim Ryan could decide it should be called "Death Stranding: Kojima is a Gaylord and Likes to Fap on Department Store Glass Doors Edition," and all Kojima could do is fucking tweet about the hidden meaning behind the words and create an ARG to save face.

Last edited:

SpokkX

All these fucking entitled idiots that care about something so stupid is hilarious to me.

Who cares if there’s a directors cut?

Go buy the original if you don’t like it.
The original DS is locked to 30fps… so yeah this is stupid money grabbing marketing from sony

they should be called out when their main competitor upgrades every single game to next gen for free (and it actually works 100% automatically unlike sonys shitty save transfer that sometimes is not even available and usually need ps+)

Last edited:

Yoboman

Agreed unless its adding a bunch of content that was meant to be in the game but didn't make it for various reasons or redoing parts of a game to make it better then its not a directors cut. And frame rate or other graphical changes don't count

Yoboman

The original DS is locked to 30fps… so yeah this is stupid money grabbing marketing from sony

they should be called out when their main competitor upgrades every single game to next gen for free (and it actually works 100% automatically unlike sonys shitty save transfer that sometimes is not even available and usually need ps+)
Gears 5 had a directors/GOTY version at launch which was paid and no cheaper upgrade path

Aggelos

Funnily enough, Kojima agrees with you.

Man what is Kojima talking about? Director's Cut, is the version that the director intended to represent his (creative) vision. But alas, for a film, in order to be released, there are so many other stakeholders that interfere in the making of it: producers, studio executives, test screenings and test audiences, MPAA rating boards, you name it. There are so many parties that somehow inform the length, flow and presentation of the entire film. Thus, there might be one director (or two for that matter) who has a vision about the film, but many others interfere and intervene before the final product is out in the market.

Bottom line is, the version that comes out in theatres, the so-called "Theatrical Cut", is a version that many 'influential' parties (producers, studio executives et al) have left their indelible mark on it beforehand. They might have told the director things like "Oh man, we've got ourselves a two-and-a-half-hour film, no way we let it come out like that. Shorten it and trim it down to 2 hours!", "Change that scene!", "Remove the other scene", "That part of the film is dragging too much, change it", "Change this, change that", etc. And as they say, he who pays the piper calls the tune.
Therefore, there has been a general consensus that there are two versions for many films: the Theatrical Cut (something that producers and studio executives demanded and exacted) and the Director's Cut (something closer to the director's creative vision but eventually sacrificed because the corridors of power demanded changes)

So what the hell is Kojima talking about, I cannot make heads nor tales of it.

by the bye, I was just wondering: is the first game to use this clever and catchy subtitle "Director's Cut" (back in 1997)?

EGwQHWM.jpg

Miles708

Just to be clear: if this was called "Death Stranding: Game of the Year Edition" we wouldn't be even talking about this, right?

This isnt even a new thing.

Silent%20Hill%202%20-%20Director%27s%20Cut%20%28Europe%29.jpg
240.jpg

FYsm2mw.jpg

81SlGOZXw9L._SL1500_.jpg

pcsx2-2019-01-18-11-01-52-87.png

80434--rogue-galaxy-directors-cut.png

51Mb1+Een8L.jpg
Yea, they have been but it's Sony and they're "Evil" right now. Xbox and Nintendo are the "Good guys" Someone already mentioned "Smart Delivery" All these "special editions" are just DLC bundles... I didn't know that Smart Delivery gave you the DLC content for free 🤷‍♂️ Please someone tell me If this is true.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah but Death Stranding: Not the original version of the game.
Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Fbh

To be honest when it comes to post launch paid content I'd rather have stuff like new chapters or side stories than enhancements to the core game, specially in longer games.

Unless I absolutely loved a game I'm not going to spend 30+ hours replaying it just to experience the new stuff, so all these enhanced versions do is make me less likely to pick up the next game by the same dev at launch.

For example I'm hyped for SMTV, but I'm still hesitant to pick it up because if they'll just release some vastly enhanced "SMTV Royal" later I should just wait for that version.

It's quite an old thing. The oldest one I can think of is Resident Evil. But I do agree with you, it's dumb and doesn't make sense.

skneogaf

I don't mind them as long as you can upgrade the original release both on disk and digital copies.

I would pay for the last of us 2, bloodborne and god of war upgrades like real 4k@60fps, extra modes and other stuff.

The 60fps patches for god of war and the last of us 2 weren't enough.

lmimmfn

Its just an excuse to rerelease something with minimal effort and to charge again.

While some games dont have PC versions, others have the assets already, Console = excuse to charge you more for a "new" version.
Its worse considering console hardware is pc hardware from ps4, xbox one onwards.

But folk will lap it up.

Kojima doing his thing is the same, minimal effort additional content for $$$

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Well, they are more than remasters since they have added content but less than remakes since a lot still stays the same. They needed a new term and I think it fits.

I think of these collections is largely irrelevant to me, what's important to me is whether I feel the additional content is worth the additional costs. I know that Game of the Year editions used to be a big thing until people understood that there isn't anything official about a game being labelled the Game of the Year because everywhere does their own version of game of the year and pretty much every game seems to win that award somewhere.
It's a little like the recent Skyrim announcement which has already had a Special Edition, a Very Special Edition and a Legendary Edition. Was the Special Edition really special? Was the Very Special Edition really very special? Was the Legendary Edition truly legendary? At least the upcoming Anniversary Edition is being released on the anniversary of the original release but isn't free either.
I do feel that there's real benefit in releasing the physical versions of games months after they've launched digitally once the company has finished updating it and/or releasing DLC.

CamHostage

I think DC is a PlayStation concept that they’re pushing on various PS4 hits and Kojima has personally criticised it in the past as “confusing”.
Yeah, I wish Sony had taken the hint when even the director of their own product said that "Director's Cut" was a silly name for the re-release.

Not that it's a big deal, but I don't like the branding. It's not the "director's cut". That has a specific use in film (usually implying compromise of some type, actually, so it's not necessarily a great term...) and it doesn't apply with what they're doing in these games. These are really "Greatest Hits" or "GOTY" or "Ultimate Edition" packages (although it's possible Death Stranding might change up the formula some, not just add on new content?)

Just a dumb name. Who cares, but I wish they had come up with a good name if this branding is going to continue in future re-releases.

jigglet

Banned
None of my favourite games have ever received a director's cut. I'd fucking love it if it ever happened. I mean more of what you love? I'm not seeing the negatives.

Bryank75

Banned
I really think this dumb ""directors cut"" thing needs to die before it become a new dumb trend that is going to try to squeeze a dollar of older titles. When i saw that Death Stranding was going to get a Directors Cut it actually gave me a good old chuckle, i mean if there's any fucking game out there that is already exactly a directors cut it's that game.

If anything it would've needed a "better cut" and some people that reigned that game in because .. dude.

Anyways... this dumbass thing needs to die before it becomes a new trend.

It's a new 'fancier' way of that old "Game of the year" edition but with an increased price instead, those GOTY editions usually were a decent deal with included dlc and stuff with reduced price more often than not.

Directors cuts have always been a thing, it's basically like a GOTY edition..... it's not setting a precedent, it is following one long established.

Things like season passes, MTX and DLC that is included on disc but locked till you pay deserves your outrage long before something like this.....

However 20 was enough to ask for the upgrade on GOT, the 10 more was bullshit.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
It's just branding to try and get some secondary sales. With backwards compatibility people can get the cheap version or the new fancy one no one is forcing them to buy the fancy one. Besides the games will come down in price again soon enough.

Kojima's definition is not strictly true, there are Director's Cuts of films which are shorter than the Theatrical versions.

The most famous example is probably Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, which is not only substantially a different movie but it is also shorter.

John Wick

I really think this dumb ""directors cut"" thing needs to die before it become a new dumb trend that is going to try to squeeze a dollar of older titles. When i saw that Death Stranding was going to get a Directors Cut it actually gave me a good old chuckle, i mean if there's any fucking game out there that is already exactly a directors cut it's that game.

If anything it would've needed a "better cut" and some people that reigned that game in because .. dude.

Anyways... this dumbass thing needs to die before it becomes a new trend.

It's a new 'fancier' way of that old "Game of the year" edition but with an increased price instead, those GOTY editions usually were a decent deal with included dlc and stuff with reduced price more often than not.
Just Sony's shitty way of getting even more money from their loyal fans

Neil Young

I don't mind them. By the time they release these versions, it includes all the dlc and is usually cheaper. Now movies on the other hand can be a mixed bag.

Funnily enough, Kojima agrees with you.

Kojima dislikes the term, he has nothing against the re-release.

He doesn't like the term in particular for his game because it's not applied correctly. For Death Stranding he thinks it would be more appropriate to call this edition something like Extended Edition. Which is what it is. I think it's pretty much the same case for Ghost of Tsushima, but I don't know for sure.

Top Bottom