• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This "Director's Cut" thing is the dumbest shit.

I really think this dumb ""directors cut"" thing needs to die before it become a new dumb trend that is going to try to squeeze a dollar of older titles. When i saw that Death Stranding was going to get a Directors Cut it actually gave me a good old chuckle, i mean if there's any fucking game out there that is already exactly a directors cut it's that game.

If anything it would've needed a "better cut" and some people that reigned that game in because .. dude.

Anyways... this dumbass thing needs to die before it becomes a new trend.

It's a new 'fancier' way of that old "Game of the year" edition but with an increased price instead, those GOTY editions usually were a decent deal with included dlc and stuff with reduced price more often than not.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Charlie Day Reaction GIF

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Agreed. Its a bad precedent.

But it seems to vary game by game. The Death Stranding $10 dlc seems like a good deal.

Last edited:

elliot5

Director's Cut is just another way of saying "Goty", or "ultimate edition", or "definite version" or whatever.

If that meas having all content in one place (the disc) without having to download anything, like the latest Ghost of Tsushima version, then please, keep 'em coming!
It's another way of packaging it but with the added flair of elitism like "games are so juvenile, but these blockbuster cinematic master pieces are elevated to the artistic integrity of cinema which is why we call it Directors Cut".

Director's Cut is just another way of saying "Goty", or "ultimate edition", or "definite version" or whatever.

If that meas having all content in one place (the disc) without having to download anything, like the latest Ghost of Tsushima version, then please, keep 'em coming!

Yes i get that but the GOTY versions usually had a better and reduced price released a year later or such.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It's just branding. Makes as much sense as multiple titles getting GOTY editions. Now if they start releasing Directors Cuts alongside GOTY editions then we can talk.

EDMIX

I really think this dumb ""directors cut"" thing needs to die before it become a new dumb trend that is going to try to squeeze a dollar of older titles. When i saw that Death Stranding was going to get a Directors Cut it actually gave me a good old chuckle, i mean if there's any fucking game out there that is already exactly a directors cut it's that game.

If anything it would've needed a "better cut" and some people that reigned that game in because .. dude.

Anyways... this dumbass thing needs to die before it becomes a new trend.

It's a new 'fancier' way of that old "Game of the year" edition but with an increased price instead, those GOTY editions usually were a decent deal with included dlc and stuff with reduced price more often than not.

Exactly! Why make more money? Why keep teams busy? Why grow the fanbase? Just dumb /s

Be like "new trend"

oh...oh boy. Good luck =)

Clever marketing + cash grab. Usually a game gets 1 or more DlCs and after some time there comes a GOTY/Gold whatever edition. These Director Cuts come super fast parallel to the first aditional content so they can get more money out of it. Sure people could still buy a used 10-20 dollar disc and upgrade for much less, but people are fucking lazy and they know it. Also some people don't want a mix of disc + digital upgrade and some people will think this fancy sounding Directors Cut is a completely new game.

In the end, such a fast Directors Cut will make them more money than their already droped to 10-20 bucks games + a DLC and that's why they exist.

Last edited:
It's just a marketing term.

I am loving the improvements to Ghost of Tsushima. The PS5 enhancements really magnify the experience, and the new content is great.

Can't wait for Death Stranding as well, probably one of my top games of last gen.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It’s just another way to sell the game again, like “game of the year edition” for games that aren’t anywhere close to an actual game of the year. Definitive edition is another annoying one.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The name is trivial to me. I'm open to the concept, it just depends.

How old is the game? What are the new features? Are you pumping these out because you have nothing else give us?

I'm looking forward to Death Stranding Director's Cut, because Kojima set a good precedent with the expanded Metal Gear Solid games, which I'm expecting him to live up to.
Same time, I can understand someone calling bullshit on it, seeing as it's a very recent game, among other factors.

It's another way of packaging it but with the added flair of elitism like "games are so juvenile, but these blockbuster cinematic master pieces are elevated to the artistic integrity of cinema which is why we call it Directors Cut".
Games have directors too. What is this nonsense.
This isnt even a new thing.
80434--rogue-galaxy-directors-cut.png
I always tell myself Ill play this game. Ill wait for the PS5 directors cut.

elliot5

Games have directors too. What is this nonsense.

I always tell myself Ill play this game. Ill wait for the PS5 directors cut.
I know they have directors. The term director's cut comes from cinema and if you ask any average person they wouldn't be able to name a game director vs a movie director. It's clearly an attempt at creating a link to cinema and the connotation that brings (elevated media).

Hugare

This isnt even a new thing.

Silent%20Hill%202%20-%20Director%27s%20Cut%20%28Europe%29.jpg
240.jpg

FYsm2mw.jpg

81SlGOZXw9L._SL1500_.jpg

pcsx2-2019-01-18-11-01-52-87.png

80434--rogue-galaxy-directors-cut.png

51Mb1+Een8L.jpg
Yeah

Imagine when this industry gets to 100-150 years old.

"This microtransaction thing, I dont know, guys"

OP, "GOTY editions" were never an amazing deal. They were the same game + DLC for $60.

Now at least we are getting graphical improvements, haptics and etc., DLC, QOL features + the option to pay a smaller price if you already own the original game.

The only bad part is that I'm not replaying some games, waiting for a DC version.

Like TLOU Part 2. I'm sure as hell that they will make a DC version of it.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I don’t care that Kojima is making me pay for DSDC. To play it again at 60FPS on PS5 is going to be lovely. Looking forward to a few laps of fragile circuit as well. What a stunning game. I’ll get GoT DC down the line as well. There is more content, it’s not as if they’re asking you to pay for nothing…..

Top Bottom