• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's no point in buying Ubisoft games because eventually they will give them to you for free

Drizzlehell

Banned
BowedBeneficialFinwhale-size_restricted.gif
Ubisoft games are trash. That Star Wars game is at least something to look forward to.

Larxia

You must be a fucking riot in social situations.
He's right though... you're paying for those. These games aren't "extra", do you not remember that when PS+ started on ps3, it was actually only for the "free" games? That was the whole point of it. They just made it mandatory for online play too when they saw xbox could get away with it.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah, agreed 100%.

I guess if there is a heavy story focus and you can’t deal with spoilers there is a point in buying a game day 1 for that reason too.

I guess the spoiler bit can be true though thankfully I haven't had something spoiler for me in a while. For example I still haven't played GOW:R and nothing has been spoiled for me.
Though I guess using almost no social media (aside from GAF) helps.

You pay for a service, part of which is access to a vast library of games free of any extra charge to play them. Jesus, don't be so anal about semantics.

Come on, it's not semantics. Stuff you get through a paid service isn't free.

You can maybe make the argument for Ps+ essential since you might be primarily paying for the online multiplayer and cloud saves and you can see the games as a "free" perk.
But with Ps+ extra you are literally paying to access the library of games, there's no other added perk to the service.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Doesn't this game requires to be always online? Does it have any sort of single player content?
If you played Steep then this is pretty much the same live service bollocks but with added mountain bikes. You can play it solo to your heart's content, though.

Come on, it's not semantics. Stuff you get through a paid service isn't free.

You can maybe make the argument for Ps+ essential since you might be primarily paying for the online multiplayer and cloud saves and you can see the games as "free" perk.
But with Ps+ extra you are literally paying to access the library of games, there's no other added perk to the service.
Fine, whatever. I'm not gonna argue over this because I don't care. Now go away.

Last edited:

Jalucan

Neo Member
Day one buyer here. You are wrong about this particular game. They have given out tons of time limited cosmetics and vehicles for free since release. I paid full price and have put hundreds of hours into this game making it well worth the price of admission. I am still playing and do not regret being a day one buyer at all.

CLW

Yep which is also true for EVERY PUBLISHER in the industry ms Sony ea etc ALL put games up for “free” on gold/+

Chastten

Banned
the last part of the thread title was unnecesary.

"There's no point in buying Ubisoft games" is enough. Has been for at least a decade now.

Damigos

No point in buy Ubisoft in general, unfortunately. And i ve enjoyed AC and Far cry series so much.
The new Ubisoft is bland, tasteless, uninspiring. 4 franchises full of endless sequels of the same things over and over again

In the past 60$ games sooner or later went into the bargain bin. Now they get offered in subscription services- ie not really free. (even though some actual presents are made sometimes and Epic freebies are actually free) It was the same principle.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Its not free its included with the medium tier of a subscription model that costs 15 euros a month also when you unsubscribe you loose access
Its a rental service just like any other one. No clue why they think 18 per month is reasonable, it really only makes people say, I'll pay $18 to play that one game I want to play and beat in a month and then drop the service. Ubisoft and EA both do $15/mo on PC. The math isn't much different.

Aion002

I kinda like ubi games and they go on sale so fast that I only pay 10 usd at most on them.

The last 60 usd game that I bought from Ubi was AC Blackflag.

Last month I bought Far Cry 6 Gold Edition for 8 bucks.

So just wait, eventually you will get the games for cheap or on your subscription service.

Episode 18 Patience GIF by Law & Order

Last edited:

Chronicle

Ubi games are great and always have been.

This argument works for any product: Eventually it will go on sale and then clearance.

I bought all my FROM games on sale. I received Demon's Souls 'free'.

Superkewl

Gold Member
I don't know about free, but I always wait for Ubi games as they tend to go on deep sale rather quick and quite often.

Last edited:
Eventually everything will be cheaper, or even offered as part of a subscription, so If I’m excited for something, I’m not going to wait.

Kenpachii

I buy games to support the devs.
Ubisoft games are known to drop in price fast, yet i still buy them day one because they are in general polished and feature ton of gameplay.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Nice - can you tell me how you got a free PS+ Extra subscription? What's that? You still have to pay for Far Cry 6 after all?

star trek laughing GIF
1. You don't get the subscription to get Far Cry 6, Far Cry 6 is just incidental of having it.
2. If you prefer paying full price for the game instead of 10 bucks for the sub then KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.

Pop

This is the same argument as not buying a PS5 because the games will "eventually" come to PC.

Ya after 2 years or so. Why the fuck would you want to wait that long

bender

What time is it?
PS+ Extra and GamePass aren't free.

This.

Ubisoft games do tend to go on deep discount faster than a lot of other publisher titles. Buying Physical Ubisoft games at release always felt foolish, especially if they release around but not after Black Friday. You'd often get them for less than their MSRP.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
2. If you prefer paying full price for the game instead of 10 bucks for the sub then KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.
It's $12 right now on PC on Ubisoft's store. It's $11 on the Epic Games Store. I assume console prices are similar-ish. Used copies of this game are going for about $10-$15 shipped on eBay here in the US.

For the price of a single month of your subscription, you can have access to the game forever. If you wanna keep throwing money at subscription services where you don't actually own anything then KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.

I don't know about free, but I always wait for Ubi games as they tend to go on deep sale rather quick and quite often.

Not on PC I find. It stays at their wallet-gouging levels, and then they do an "85% OFF!!!!" type sale. It's still way more than it should be. It reduces it to the price that it should be at this point in its life. Laughing all the way to the bank. Jokers.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's $12 right now on PC on Ubisoft's store. It's $11 on the Epic Games Store. I assume console prices are similar-ish. Used copies of this game are going for about $10-$15 shipped on eBay here in the US.

For the price of a single month of your subscription, you can have access to the game forever. If you wanna keep throwing money at subscription services where you don't actually own anything then KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.
chair-throw-chair.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They do at least drop in price fast, all the far cry games I have bought were at about 1/5th retail.

Top Bottom