• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's no point in buying Ubisoft games because eventually they will give them to you for free

Drizzlehell

Banned
Case in point:

I've been looking at this game for a good while, always seeing it on sale and considering a purchase because it looked like a fun enough "podcast game" that I can just bumble around in whenever I have nothing better to play. But I've made a mistake of buying AC Valhalla before. I never actually played it because I wanted to get through Odyssey first but then the latter game was so god damned long and draining that I just needed to wait like a year to recharge my batteries before getting into Valhalla. But then it eventually became a free download on PS Plus and I basically wasted 60 fucking dollars.

But now I'm happy that I never bought Riders Republic because in a typical Ubisoft fashion, they just gave it away. Probably because they usually wait until sales numbers drop low enough that they can get more juice out of them by simply giving copies away for free and hoping that people will be hooked enough to pay for DLCs and microtransactions.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Where's my free copy of Far Cry 6?

reggie-nintendo.gif

R6Rider

Gold Member
Nah, still worth buying, just waiting a bit after launch as they drop in price very fast. Far Cry 6 and Immortals Fenyx Rising dropped to $30 or below after a few months.

Gimme that Splinter Cell Remake day one though.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Welp there you have it folks. Based on this sample size of one, all Ubisoft games eventually pivot to F2P.
Mate, this eventually happened to every single Ubisoft game. Most of my library on that shitty PC launcher (whetever they call it these days) consists of games that were given away by them for free.

Fredrik

Well, yeah, you pay for the day 1 experience - bugs, bad performance, lack of features and high price. If you can wait it’ll always get you a better and cheaper game.
This is not just Ubisoft games though, goes for everything, can’t remember a single game the last couple years that didn’t get any patches.

Last edited:

TexMex

Mate, this eventually happened to every single Ubisoft game. Most of my library on that shitty PC launcher (whetever they call it these days) consists of games that were given away by them for free.

It does not happen to "every single Ubisoft game" - or even most of them.

Fbh

"Free" with a $99/year subscription.
Either way, this applies to most games. The only reasons to buy games at launch these days is to support a developer/franchise or because you want to get in early on a multiplayer game.

Otherwise wait a year, buy them for a fraction of the price (or play them through a subscription), usually fully patched up and in a better state than the one they launched in.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Its not free its included with the medium tier of a subscription model that costs 15 euros a month also when you unsubscribe you loose access
Free? You mean eventually it comes to PS+?

Well lots of games do, the calculation is there’s enough people want to play it before it’s (maybe) offered up on a sub.
Either way, this applies to most games. The only reasons to buy games at launch these days is to support a developer/franchise or because you want to get in early on a multiplayer game.

Otherwise wait a year, buy them for a fraction of the price (or play them through a subscription), usually fully patched up and in a better state than the one they launched in.
You pay for a service, part of which is access to a vast library of games free of any extra charge to play them. Jesus, don't be so anal about semantics.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The game is like a year and a half old, I don't see how it being on PS+ is much different than just being part of a big sale. You'll have some people that will wait on things like that (ME!), but those aren't people that were day one buyers to begin with.

This applies to basically every AAA game coming these days, at least from third parties. This week you can grab Star Wars: Jedi Survivor full of jank, bugs, and performance issues for $70 USD, or you can pick it up in September all patched up for half the price. If you wait til next summer it'll be $20, if it hasn't already been offered for free.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah, agreed 100%.

I guess if there is a heavy story focus and you can’t deal with spoilers there is a point in buying a game day 1 for that reason too.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This applies to basically every AAA game coming these days, at least from third parties. This week you can grab Star Wars: Jedi Survivor full of jank, bugs, and performance issues for $70 USD, or you can pick it up in September all patched up for half the price. If you wait til next summer it'll be $20, if it hasn't already been offered for free.
What if I'm gonna get crushed by a piano next week? Nah screw that, I'm playing that one right now.

lem0n

Maybe it's a 'me' problem, but the last Ubi game I genuinely enjoyed was R6 Vegas 2. All the ones I tried on Gamepass or whatever didn't stick. Crew 2 was okay. But given how hit and miss they have been for a long time I just don't buy anything they put out unless it's on deep discount.

Drizzlehell

Banned
its literally just like renting...so no its not free
Do you understand the meaning of the word "semantics"? The point is that you don't have to drop 70 quid for a brand new Ubisoft game because you can just wait 12 months and get it either completely for free or in some subscription. And not by paying for that specific game - you're gonna be subscribing to a service that happened to have that game added at no extra charge, along with hundreds of others. What's so hard to understand about this concept unless you wanna be really annoying?

Last edited:
its literally just like renting...so no its not free
PS+ Essential is better than renting cause it's forever tied to your PS+ account and you can renew whenever and it'll still be there. PS+ Extra/Premium and Gamepass are more like strictly rentals, you never know when the services will pull the titles and it doesn't matter if you renew, it'll still be gone.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The point is that you don't have to drop 70 quid for a brand new Ubisoft game because you can just wait 12 months and get it either completely for free or in some subscription. And not by paying for that specific game - you're gonna be subscribing to a service that happened to have that game added at no extra charge, along with hundreds of others.

What if I'm gonna get crushed by a piano next week? Nah screw that, I'm playing that one right now.

BowedBeneficialFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

Top Bottom