• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: MS says it needs smaller games to do well yesterday

Null Persp

85nyjYs.png

Ozzie666

Xbox division seems to be run completely different than the rest of the trillion dollar company. If this is all true, it's really embarassing and also disturbing?
i mean it's turning into a clown show, if it hasn't already been for years. The upcoming event should be interesting, will they pretend nothing is happening?
Is Xbox still every screen? Is it still chasing the cloud and streaming? Is it a handheld? Gamepass? Oxygen? Third-party? Exclusives, not exclusives?

Chasing their tails constantly and changing direction, this can't be good for share holder confidence.

Hi-Fi Rush was pitched in 2017 and in development from 2018 to 2023. It's information from that documentary they made. How is that a small game?

bender

What time is it?
There's nothing wrong with the quote.

They want smaller titles than Hi Fi Rush, which was not a small title. They're talking about games built by 50 people and under.

Johanas would pitch the project to Bethesda after Tango Gameworks wrapped production on The Evil Within 2 and spend a year hammering out the basics with a single programmer before expanding the team to around 20 members.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Johanas would pitch the project to Bethesda after Tango Gameworks wrapped production on The Evil Within 2 and spend a year hammering out the basics with a single programmer before expanding the team to around 20 members.

I guess they want 10 and under.

Sorcerer

What if they go ahead and make Hi-Fi rush 2 with another studio? Sounds like this may the case. Weird!!!

Xbox leaders don’t know how to do their jobs, hire Reggie or someone from Japan please. Xbox needs fresh start.

Last edited:

nick776

My GP subscription expired about the same time MS announced that "only 4" titles were going Multiplatform. I did not renew it and do not plan to. If I needed money, I would even sell my Series X. Xbox is dead, done and Microsoft doesn't care as long as they make money from Multiplatform titles. I do not understand why anyone would invest in the Xbox ecosystem at this point. I posted last fall and asked the question of what Microsoft was going to do in light of Switch 2 and PS5 Pro. It looks like the plan has been to basically join them this whole time by selling their titles on those systems. I only regret having spent SO MUCH money on the Xbox platform and ecosystem since the launch day of Xbox 360. Lesson. Learned.

Edit--just please HURRY and release Hellblade 2 on PS5.

Last edited:
I think you're all misreading the quote.

I think you're reading it as Microsoft says it needs smaller games in order for them to do well. The actual quote is they need their smaller games to do better than they are currently doing.

Aaron Greenberg said Hi-Fi Rush was a success and it probably wasn't.

Microsoft has a real problem on its hands due to GamePass. No one is buying games on Xbox let alone games like Hi-Fi Rush, Pentiment, Grounded. They're barely buying the big 3rd party games like Hogwarts Legacy.

This is why they needed to go 3rd party, but unlike Sega, Microsoft is trying to have their cake and eat it too. Maybe Sega would have tried this too if the Dreamcast had a digital storefront and a subscription service. For Sega it wasn't worth taking a loss on Dreamcast games only to make a modest amount on games sold at retail. You have to remember retail took a 10-15 percent split on software sales, even their first party titles. And they struggled with 3rd party support.

The clock is ticking on Xbox, but the reality is its already dead. Microsoft is just Weekend at Bernie's-ing it up.

Phil is making sure his name is worthy in a debate for who was worse for the brand against Mattrick.

I think that's a poor read on things.

Xbox has been dead since the Xbox One. Phil Spencer simply kept it moving through GamePass. If anything he's pulled off a miracle in getting Microsoft to keep throwing money at Xbox.

Last year though was kind of the last straw and you could tell that from Phil's interview where he said even if Starfield was an 11/10 it wouldn't allow them to out console sony. This was the white flag moment and probably around the time that Phil reached out to Sony to start getting their games ported over.

That was May 2023. In July of 2023, Sony signed the CoD agreement, essentially clearing the path for the ABK deal to go through.

Pentiment was ported to PS5 in February 2024. Does anyone think that happened in a day. Most ports will take at least 6 months to make. But it's not like they decided this and started the next day. It's clear that these discussions probably started around that May time frame.

Jim Ryan announced his retirement in September of 2023, with the full knowledge that Microsoft was going 3rd party, especially after Starfield indeed failed to move the needle.

bender

What time is it?

Xbox has been dead since the Xbox One. Phil Spencer simply kept it moving through GamePass. If anything he's pulled off a miracle in getting Microsoft to keep throwing money at Xbox.

Last year though was kind of the last straw and you could tell that from Phil's interview where he said even if Starfield was an 11/10 it wouldn't allow them to out console sony. This was the white flag moment and probably around the time that Phil reached out to Sony to start getting their games ported over.

That was May 2023. In July of 2023, Sony signed the CoD agreement, essentially clearing the path for the ABK deal to go through.

Pentiment was ported to PS5 in February 2024. Does anyone think that happened in a day. Most ports will take at least 6 months to make. But it's not like they decided this and started the next day. It's clear that these discussions probably started around that May time frame.

Jim Ryan announced his retirement in September of 2023, with the full knowledge that Microsoft was going 3rd party, especially after Starfield indeed failed to move the needle.

The gaffes of the One might not have been recoverable but Phil has done very little to pull back from the nosedive with the significance of the little determined by how one weighs the impact of the One X or the their Backwards Compatibility program. Everything else feels like a billion dollar throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks with little thought of the long term nor the effects that one clump of shit would have on another. I'm not sure the bolded miracle is a win either. At least if he had made the decision to exit the market and shift focus that would have shown some forethought instead of that decision being forced upon him. We still have "insiders" here thinking there will be more Xbox hardware, be it traditional, a handheld, or a spec for 3rd parties to follow, it all seems destined for a similar fate. Given the war chest that has been spent under his reign and the lack of results, I'm not so sure there isn't an argument to be made.

Microsoft cares about revenue growth, not about how it happens. They have given up on gaming hardware and are going all in with publishing software. It's the same strategy they use in their core business - enterprise software. Don Mattrick was a complete fool but the Xbone fiasco was Microsoft's strategy. I agree that it's impressive how Phil kept Xbox in the game for so long, but Microsoft's patience ran out and now we are seeing what happens in a high interest rate, low growth environment when your shareholders are demanding profits each quarter.

Top Bottom