• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Thing | Xbox/PS2/PC

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So I was in the mood to scare my 13 year old daughter, so I introduced her to The Thing. I thought she would also get a kick out of Keith David, who is her favorite Disney villain.

After watching both movies, it made me think of the game I played on Xbox. I sure wish there was an easy/legal way to play it on consoles.

Did anyone else here play it? It mixed survival and horror very well, and felt like a true survival horror game.

Skifi28

Heard good things about it and watched some videos a few years ago, but I didn't even know it existed back then.

Mr Hyde

5NL1mtE.jpg

Still got my copy in the collection. I thought it was good back in the day. Devs nailed the setting and horror vibe of the Thing, it had an interesting mechanic, with who you could trust in your team, but if iirc controls and camera were pretty iffy. But to its defense, most games of this era hadn't gotten the camera sorted out yet. Would love to see a re-release or a remaster (or even remake). I think Carpenter himself talked up this game saying he approved of it calling it a great license game (which at the time were fucking awful and nobody wanted to associate with them).

EruditeHobo

I really enjoyed it at the time... never finished it and wonder if it has aged well, but had some cool fear/panic mechanics.

I used to have it on PS2. Idk y i would've traded it in, because i def don't own it anymore. But i remember liking it. You just kinda move from station to station in the blizzard and u have flares and i think u had to get to hot areas to not freeze.

and then the normal gameplay involved Fear meters on ur party

intbal

After watching both movies, it made me think of the game I played on Xbox. I sure wish there was an easy/legal way to play it on consoles.

You can play it on a 360.

It was published by Black Label aka Vivendi aka Activision.
If the ABK deal goes through, it might get added to the modern BC library.

Last edited:

Kikorin

I bought it bundled with a magazine for PC, it was surprisingly good. Lot of good ideas well executed, original survival horror, great atmosphere and I remember graphically it was pretty nice too.

Gojiira

Had some interesting mechanics from what I recall, like the suspicion and morale systems, shame no game after really fleshed them out.

poodaddy

Genuinely good, truly unique, and interesting game with great mechanics. Played through it on Xbox back in the day, would love to play through it again.

How's Xbox emulation? I know PlayStation emulation is in a great spot and pretty much always has been, but for some reason you never hear about Xbox emulation.

MiguelItUp

It's a great game! It released when I was working at Electronics Boutique (EB Games, lol), so I just checked it out on PS2. I had no idea it was releasing, felt like it came out of nowhere. I definitely beat it, and the game kind of helped shed some light on the events that happened after the movie. It was really cool.

Definitely had a little jank, even at the time. But it was SO incredibly unique. There's a trust system that's a huge mechanic in the game, something I haven't experienced anywhere else. I wish it got more attention and love. Apparently a sequel was planned, but it never got off the ground.

Hoping for more games that revolve around the IP. It's such an awesome and terrifying one.

ParaSeoul

Its way better than it should be for being one of those licensed games that came out a decade after the movie

coffinbirth

Great game, absolutely adore it. Doesn't hurt that the movie is one of my all-time favorites either ;)

You can owe a lot of that greatness to John Carpenter being involved, and the fact he is an actual "gamer" probably didn't hurt knowing how brutal his critiques tend to be, haha.

Still gutted they canned the sequel.

I don't know what your proficiency level with computers is, but if you own the game, it's perfectly legal to rip your disc and run it via emulation. The BIOS files are a little trickier to obtain (technically) legally, but they are readily available on archive dot org, and have been for TEN YEARS without getting DMCA'd by Sony. Also worth pointing out that the rights to this game went into receivership 20 years ago, so downloading it from that very same place is as illegal as removing a mattress tag. If you have an android phone with a Snapdragon 865 or better, you can do it all from your phone.

To be clear, I am not promoting piracy, but these particular files are hosted on the Internet Archive.

I played it back then on PC and only recently reinstalled it. Still a decent game imo. Nails the atmosphere and functions as the Canon sequel. There are some mods on nexus that get rid of the kinks. As a fan of the (first) movie I highly recommend it.

Ozriel

M$FT

Buy the PS2 disc on eBay. Rip it and play the rom on the ‘retail’ PS2 emulator on any Xbox Series console.

Fairly straightforward and legal

Drizzlehell

Banned
The positive reviews that this game got back in the day always confused me because I remember that it was pretty awful.

The squad mechanics sounded good on paper but in practice the AI was wonky as fuck and the whole system didn't even work properly half the time, with your squadmates turning into monsters seconds after testing negative for the thing virus because that's how the game was scripted. I also remember that it was super derivative of Half-Life, as 60% of the game you were fighting these headcrab things and there's also a shocking plot twist halfway through the game where government soldiers show up and start shooting everyone. The plot was just awful and cliched, with the only highlight being the Cigarette Smoking Man from The X-Files providing the voice for the bad guy.

Oh yeah, the game isn't scary either. It's just a poorly made third person shooter where you mow down hundreds of idiotic monsters and enemy soldiers and it aged horribly both in terms of visuals and gameplay. I remember that boss fights were particularly frustrating, with some of them giving you zero time to react after a cutscene before one-hit killing you, until you figured out that all you had to do was to circle-strafe around it and shoot at it a whole bunch of times.

I guess there are no other games that would combine all the elements from the movie in one package, like the Arctic setting and themes of paranoia and body horror, but I'm sure you can find plenty of games that use those elements individually to a much greater effect than this official The Thing video game.

Better yet, maybe you could show your daughter the original Alien next, and then play Alien Isolation, which is a fantastic game and a much more successful movie-to-game adaptation/followup.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This game is a hidden gem imo.
Everyone needs to play it
I wonder if theres a way to play it on steam deck

Last edited:

calistan

It really nailed the feel of the movie at the time. I’ve still got it on PS2 - been meaning to go back to it for about 20 years.

It was brutally difficult and unforgiving. I got as far as a boss area, a big pillar of flesh that pops out of the floor of an icy cave, but the save file dropped me right in front of it with almost zero health left. I never got any further. If I ever replay it, it would have to be with cheats.

Evildoomnerd

Neo Member
I loved the game, but I think it could've refined the squadmate trust mechanics by randomizing who was and wasn't infected in each playthrough to keep us on our toes. Kinda felt cheap to use a blood test on a Squadmate, confirm negative, only for that NPC to turn thing at specific areas in a stage.

Duchess

There's a game called Distruct (PC, Xbox, and PlayStation) that takes its cues from The Thing. Never played it myself, but reviews suggest it's pretty average:

Personally, I'd like to play the LucasArts edition that's available to some lucky gamers in a parallel universe:

DBGrO4TXYAE2Q_d

Last edited:
Great game. Good example of using a license well. King Kong is another one. I want to ask everyone what are some other examples of games using licenses well?

Power Pro

I'm feeling like the reception to this game in recent years is over rated. It's been about a decade since I played it last, but I still remember being underwhelmed and found the writing to be pretty poor. Very generic early 2000s video game writing, and it was never scary because the systems the game touted were all phony. You could blood test someone and get a negative result, only for them to turn into a Thing creature immediately after, because all the transformations were scripted. Kinda ruins the tension when you can predict when and who is gonna transform.

It had interesting ideas that the game just doesn't live up to. False promises, which might have been limited by the time in which it was made, but that doesn't make it any less mediocre to me.

Plus...seriously, how the hell does Macready survive? He just randomly shows up at the end in a helicopter to save the day. Just really hokey, and not as good as some people like to act like it is. Just cuz it was ambitious, doesn't mean it's good when it doesn't live up to that ambition.

I owned it for awhile and remember enjoying it a good amount. That game would benefit greatly from a remaster and build upon what was there!

Fools idol

Banned
This game was a gem indeed. It's crying out for a remake... If we got a remake quality of resident evil 2, or dead space, but in the first person style of something like Aien Isolation I would be all over that shit.

Hope it happens one day - one of the best IP's in the world.

Romulus

It's definitely underrated. But I have the entire library of OG XBox though and I'm surprised how much better games were then, even obscure stuff I never played. Developers are just terrible by comparison now, there's barely any passion. I'm guessing it's because of social media and constantly being distracted.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It's definitely underrated. But I have the entire library of OG XBox though and I'm surprised how much better games were then, even obscure stuff I never played. Developers are just terrible by comparison now, there's barely any passion. I'm guessing it's because of social media and constantly being distracted.
Nah. It’s because most games are made by committee and focus groups these days.

Pilgrimzero

It's fine... at first.

It falls apart on the AI side. Give someone whos scared a few bullets and their fine. The tests are near worthless as its scripted when party members change. You can literally test some one and they are human and then move 5 feet toward the level exit door and they turn into a Thing (because you are supposed to go on alone).

Not to mention it gets real hard later on. Like out of ammo and monster respawns.

So I was in the mood to scare my 13 year old daughter, so I introduced her to The Thing. I thought she would also get a kick out of Keith David, who is her favorite Disney villain.

Did anyone else here play it? It mixed survival and horror very well, and felt like a true survival horror game.
HOLY SHIT.

I looooooved this game. It was way better than it had any right to be - a solid 6 or 7/10. I played it on PS2 and must have beat it 3 or 4 times. I would die if they announced a remake to flesh out some of the half-baked systems. It captured the dark, cold, lonely atmosphere of Antarctica so well. It had great sound if I recall too and the jankiness added to the horror.

The Alien

Banned
Played it....and still own it for the XBox.

I picked it up years ago at a garage sale for like $5. Grabbed it cuz I love the movie.

Game was pretty good/decent from what I remember. It had a cool 'fear' or 'paranoia' mechanic where u had to calm down team members or they went crazy-ish.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I can listen to his reviews of any game. Such a good channel.
My next best discovery right after civvie11
Yeah, I knew civvie before, just a random recommendation probably just because I was watching so much Gmanlives. But Grimbeard was recommended by a friend and I was floored that he still has less than 100k subs. Dude has a great talent and his reviews have been my main comfort food recently.

Last edited:

Lasha

The Thing is a solid adaptation of the source material. It was mechanically advanced for it's time with a system where your crew would become paranoid. You would have to manage resources to keep people on board and even then somebody ended up being the thing. Definitely worth a playthrough.

Top Bottom