• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sandman - First Look Trailer

The Lord of Dreams has been summoned, and captured, by mortal men. Once free from his captivity, this eternal ruler of Dreams will realize that his troubles are only just beginning.

The Sandman is a Netflix series based on the groundbreaking comic book series created for DC by Neil Gaiman. The series is Executive Produced by Neil Gaiman, Allan Heinberg (Wonder Woman), & David S. Goyer.

According to Gaiman, the plan is to faithfully adapt the series, beginning with the first season adapting "Preludes & Nocturnes" and "The Doll's House". However, the series features changes intended to update the story for modern times. For example, it begins in 2021 rather than 1989, with Dream now having been imprisoned for 105 years instead of 75 years. Other characters were similarly updated, as "... if we were creating this character now, what gender would the character be? ... who would they be? What would they be doing?".

Cast
  • Tom Sturridge as Morpheus/Dream
  • Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer
  • Vivienne Acheampong as Lucienne
  • Boyd Holbrook as the Corinthian
  • Charles Dance as Roderick Burgess
  • Asim Chaudhry as Abel
  • Sanjeev Bhaskar as Cain
  • Kirby Howell-Baptiste as Death
  • Mason Alexander Park as Desire
  • Donna Preston as Despair
  • Jenna Coleman as Johanna Constantine
  • Joely Richardson as Ethel Cripps
  • David Thewlis as John Dee/Doctor Destiny
  • Kyo Ra as Rose Walker
  • Stephen Fry as Gilbert
  • Razane Jammal as Lyta Hall
  • Sandra James-Young as Unity Kinkaid
  • Patton Oswalt as the voice of Matthew

Last edited:
Bleh to Netflix and their instant release methodology. You have to tease the people to drum up the anticipation and then whack them over the head at season's end. Works all the time, every time.

Fbh

The comic has a nice and distinct look

Live-action-Sandman-Neil-Gaiman.jpg

This just looks like some straight to DVD movie.

Last edited:

Elginer

Not liking some casting choices but then again I’m a massive fan of the books and the Death books.

FunkMiller

Oh god.

Where’s the style? Where’s the thick layer of gothic surrealism? Where’s the whimsical? Where’s the weird? Why are they selling this as some mad cult movie? I want to see the vistas of hell, what the Corinthian looks like, John Dee’s diner, hints of the connection to the wider DC universe... not this bog standard looking Netflix creepy pasta.

Ugh.

Last edited:

DKehoe

That's all from incredibly early on in the story. So I feel like I can't really make any judgment on it. Although it does feel weird that Dream just looks like an ordinary guy. I guess maybe the pale white look maybe didn't translate well to live-action.

Last edited:

plushyp

Jesus Christ. You might want to actually read The Sandman. Unless you like sounding incredibly stupid?
Calm down and don't have a bitch fit, I forgot Johanna was the ancestor as I read it years ago. The Lucifer thing threw me off.

Last edited:
The comic has a nice and distinct look

Live-action-Sandman-Neil-Gaiman.jpg

This just looks like some straight to DVD movie.
idk what sandman is but this image is fuming with style which the trailer has none of

the comic clearly lays out the look and feel

just skimming through a page or two will give infinitely more substance than three hours of this movie

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
His glowing eyes under a shock of black hair

All of these great comics being adapted recently, I am hoping this one hits for me. Sad it probably won't be set in the same universe as the comics. No Doctor Destiny or the Justice League or John Constantine or mentions of Swamp Thing. Hopefully they find clever ways around not including those characters while keeping the story straight.

FunkMiller

His glowing eyes under a shock of black hair

All of these great comics being adapted recently, I am hoping this one hits for me. Sad it probably won't be set in the same universe as the comics. No Doctor Destiny or the Justice League or John Constantine or mentions of Swamp Thing. Hopefully they find clever ways around not including those characters while keeping the story straight.

If they haven’t got permission to set the story within the DC universe it completely ruins the contextualisation of the whole damn thing. The Endless only really work in a multiverse of other super powerful beings. Gaiman’s intention was to mythologise the supernatural element of DC’s canon, and provide a hierarchy. Remove that aspect, and you strip so much of the wider context out. Morpheus should exist in the same universe as Superman. And given Gaiman’s love of DC, I’d be disappointed if he didn’t push for the whole thing to be included.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
If they haven’t got permission to set the story within the DC universe it completely ruins the contextualisation of the whole damn thing. The Endless only really work in a multiverse of other super powerful beings. Gaiman’s intention was to mythologise the supernatural element of DC’s canon, and provide a hierarchy. Remove that aspect, and you strip so much of the wider context out. Morpheus should exist in the same universe as Superman.

It sort of is, it looks like they're going with the Vertigo take after the two universes were divorced. It has Lucifer and the one female Constantine relative, but it's clearly not DC proper (unless they're hiding things well).

Top Bottom