• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goyer pitching Sandman film to WB with Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

He's a bad writer that's coasted on his collaborations with the Nolans. The things he wrote on his own have all been terrible.
Blade 1 and 2? The Crow sequel, though shat on from a great height by the original, isn't bad.

Man of Steel is one of the best comic book movies ever made. Don't care what the haters have to say.

inm8num2

I guess WB thinks Goyer's the only person capable of writing graphic novel adaptations, like other producers think Lindelof is the only person capable of writing sci-fi.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Blade 1 and 2? The Crow sequel, though shat on from a great height by the original, isn't bad.

Blade 1 and 2 were basically fixed in production. Del Toro's commentary on the Blade 2 DVD is hilarious, including statements like "And here's another line Dave Goyer thought a human being could say," which sums up a lot of his dialogue quite well. Blade Trinity was pure Goyer, written and directed by him, which I notice you didn't use as an example there. The Crow sequel is a godawful script with interesting visuals and a couple of strong performances buoying it. If you just focus on the actual screenplay for the movie it's astounding how badly Goyer missed the appeal of the original.

Man of Steel is one of the best comic book movies ever made. Don't care what the haters have to say.

I would consider this an indefensible statement. There are very demonstrable structural problems with Man of Steel's narrative, and incredibly weak dialogue and characterization throughout. Even people who liked it for whatever ungodly reason admit that there are almost no memorable/quotable lines in the film. It's no coincidence that Warner Bros. is quietly shifting Goyer to smaller budget productions like Suicide Squad so they can bring in some top level writing talent for the heavy hitters coming up like Justice League. They know Man of Steel wasn't what it should have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom