• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 worked fine with the slowest compatible SSD we could find

Md Ray

lmfao the verge...

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Hugare

Good news

Maybe it will become a bottleneck with more taxing games later on? We will see.

Right now its not the bottleneck, which is great. More options to the people.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
now that Sony is going to port their games to PC, wouldn't it make sense to develop for the lowest common denominator? meaning that their games probably will still work fine with slower SSDs.
That's probably the only explanation here for not making 5.5 GBps required or minimum. Like why even take a chance here? They refuse to allow you to put in a PCIE Gen 3 SSD so clearly they are able to reject non-compatible SSDs on the firmware level.

We will see what happens when this firmware leaves beta. Maybe they change the Recommended spec to Minimum, but now that they have bought a studio just to port their first party games to PC, I wouldnt be surprised if developing for PC's lowest common denominator is the reason why. That was always a possibility the moment they announced they were bring first party games to PCs. Several PS fans brought up this scenario in those threads and were laughed off.

Kholinar

Banned
Calm down, everything is going to be ok. The TF advantage the XSX has doesn't make a massive difference in practice.
Why the fuck are you even bringing XBOX to the table when no one asked? Holy hell, don't you got some Halo beta to be fawning over, clown? Let me guess, did that turn out to not meet your expectations, as usual? Fucking hell.

The PS5's SSD/IO system isn't what it was hyped to be.
Unless you believed initially that the I/O complex could literally wipe the Cheetos dust off of your dick and proceed to subsequently fellate you, then this is patently untrue. ALL native first-party games have literally 1-2 second loading times, which is an authentic delivery on all marketing slogans pertaining to the SSD, so what are you blabbering about? Hell, most third-party native apps are on that level of loading speed now, and it's only the start of the generation where most game engines aren't even optimized for next-gen data management. The fact that you have to literally delude yourself on some Scientology shit just to downplay the overt data streaming advantage that PS5 has over every consumer gaming system is, honestly, laughable.

As a PC owner, I'm getting the best of both worlds anyway.
"Oh, let me position myself as a PC owner so I can convince both the moderators and others that I come from a station of impartiality and I'm not just some falseflagging tribalist trying to sow discord in a neutral thread! Ingenious!"

It's not working.

Sounds like you've been warned against console warring a number of times in the past (enough to be angry about it, anyway), yet you accuse me of trolling... You wouldn't ever engage in such low behaviour, right?
Blah, blah, blah, don't care about your high-roading codswallop when you're literally trolling yourself and you know it. Bake off or put forth actual evidence for your claims, clown.

Last edited:

geary

I mean it's the one game that stresses the SSD the most. But you're right that future games could stress it even more so we'll see.
When is the next game which will stress the SSD? in 2023-2024, because next big games from Sony 1st party are last-gen compatible? So the SSD will shine after 4-5 years after release? in the mid-end of the generation?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope this gen isn't crippled by devs having to think for customers who put a 3800mbs drive in their ps5. Insomniac did that with spiderman last gen right?

I'm pretty convinced that Sony will have made the decision higher up for games to run on slower drives because of the recent want to get their big titles on pc and its going to potentially suck the live out of the ps5s most groundbreaking feature.

reksveks

They mentioned the slowest compatible SSD, which I believe is the same one that the author tested for this article.

Anyway, I don't see the point of testing Rift Apart when Insomniac has already done that and shared the results. As you said, random testers won't know what stress-test areas are, so their tests will always be insufficient, just like this one.

Only mentioned that.

I think the tests are still useful whilst the insomniac tweets have been a bit vague.

Last edited:
I hope this gen isn't crippled by devs having to think for customers who put a 3800mbs drive in their ps5. Insomniac did that with spiderman last gen right?

I'm pretty convinced that Sony will have made the decision higher up for games to run on slower drives because of the recent want to get their big titles on pc and its going to potentially suck the live out of the ps5s most groundbreaking feature.

Every PS5 has the same soldered drive. That's what developers will focus on. People who have issues with slower drives can just install the game on the soldered drive.

Problem solved.

Concern eliminated.

This proves nothing though. It might not be the same story with future releases that stress the i/o even more heavily.

The key issue is that the assumed throughput must always be available or else all kinds of bugs can ensue, its a QA nightmare.
Yeah. This was expected. Imsoniac said they needed to update their engine to be able to work with PS5s SSD full capability. So obviously there was no problem playing Ratchet or Spiderman because those games aren't fully using the SSD.

I don't understand this beta. If you had a minimum spec why are you accepting drives that are half of that? Obviously they're gonna work if there are no games that use the SSD maximum specs, but by allowing this you're essentially limiting what future games will be able to use.

All the talk about how the SSD was going to finish Xbox and at the end of the day it turns out it will be the same lol.

Every PS5 has the same soldered drive. That's what developers will focus on. People who have issues with slower drives can just install the game on the soldered drive.

Problem solved.

Concern eliminated.
So why is Sony allowing people to install slower SSDs then? I think you are looking at it wrong. Devs have to abide by the guidelines Sony provides, so what people think will happen is that Sony will update the guidelines to make sure the devs make their games playable on slower SSDs.

For me none of this makes any sense since the console has been out for almost a year so telling a dev to make their game playable on inferior specs old be unheard of.

The Yakuza PS4 speed has to be an error right? It's slower on the internal and Sabrent than it is on the Gammix?

Also the Mile Morales one seems to be slower on internal as well.

The chart shows loading from home screen to actually playing the game. There's more to loading the assets and data when games are booted up.

The test that we need to see are scenarios in game that stresses the SSD.

So why is Sony allowing people to install slower SSDs then? I think you are looking at it wrong. Devs have to abide by the guidelines Sony provides, so what people think will happen is that Sony will update the guidelines to make sure the devs make their games playable on slower SSDs.

For me none of this makes any sense since the console has been out for almost a year so telling a dev to make their game playable on inferior specs old be unheard of.

People can just transfer their games to faster drive if it needs that extra speed. Should be easy to do since everyone will have the soldered drive in their system. The same can't be said about an NVME. PS5s don't come with them.

Neo_game

I think this is a good news. That probably means it is the IO and the compression doing the main work. Those who want to upgrade and get bigger storage SSD and not necessarily the fastest and most expensive ones. Faster SSD is not showing realtime results is not surprising. Hopefully devs can get more out of it though and in future having a 7gb/sec will have some sort of advantage.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think people still have a bit pie in the sky expectations of games being designed around crazy I/O.

But I've been saying that since early 2020 lol

The best thing is just.. crazy load times + devs just barely having to even worry about I/O, and not be limited by bandwidth. That doesn't mean many games are going to push the insane speeds made possible by the PS5 I/O complex, even on the bare minimum PCIE 4.0 drive.

twilo99

Anyway how can you even trust the site where Tom Warren writes?

The guy has been basically on Microsoft payroll for more than a year, leaking Series S and more

It's clear why he wants you to think that PS5 fast SSD is useless...

I don't think the verge are going to be the only ones who will find out the same information. Just give it some time for other outlets to do the same test. I am surprised Sony didn't embargo this in some way

BeardGawd

Banned
Not in stressful situations according to the developer.

Mike Fitzgerald (@fitzymj) Tweeted:
We tried some below-spec Gen4 M.2 drives as well and saw up to 15% slower loading in the most SSD-stressing areas of the game. Not too shabby, but keep a close eye on technical specs if you’re making an SSD purchase, as our game does rely on high-quality storage. 🙏

Has anyone else been able to observe this?

And even still 15% isnt much. Instead of something loading in 1 second it would load in 1.15 seconds.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Jump to conclusions the thread, and based on the verge of all places lol. At least wait until a competent website does some analysis before you freak out.
But this thread is so much fun. I encourage more people to jump to conclusions based solely on what they want to believe.

scydrex

Insomniac games said in the DF interview that they are not fully utilizing the SSD/IO capability. That there is performance left on the table for the future. I read comments of people thinking that would not change in the future. That R&C is using 100% of the SSD/IO. Go watch the interview. Stop making excuses or saying that the slowest drive would be enough for future games.

K' Dash

Why the fuck are you even bringing XBOX to the table when no one asked? Holy hell, don't you got some Halo beta to be fawning over, clown? Let me guess, did that turn out to not meet your expectations, as usual? Fucking hell.

Unless you believed initially that the I/O complex could literally wipe the Cheetos dust off of your dick and proceed to subsequently fellate you, then this is patently untrue. ALL native first-party games have literally 1-2 second loading times, which is an authentic delivery on all marketing slogans pertaining to the SSD, so what are you blabbering about? Hell, most third-party native apps are on that level of loading speed now, and it's only the start of the generation where most game engines aren't even optimized for next-gen data management. The fact that you have to literally delude yourself on some Scientology shit just to downplay the overt data streaming advantage that PS5 has over every consumer gaming system is, honestly, laughable.

"Oh, let me position myself as a PC owner so I can convince both the moderators and others that I come from a station of impartiality and I'm not just some falseflagging tribalist trying to sow discord in a neutral thread! Ingenious!"

It's not working.

Blah, blah, blah, don't care about your high-roading codswallop when you're literally trolling yourself and you know it. Bake off or put forth actual evidence for your claims, clown.

I hope you're a 12yo, if not, seek therapy or at least, leave the site for a while

WitchHunter

Banned
This proves nothing though. It might not be the same story with future releases that stress the i/o even more heavily.

The key issue is that the assumed throughput must always be available or else all kinds of bugs can ensue, its a QA nightmare.
:DDD Where on earth would you need 3 GByte/sec throughput, hm?

So we were told a lot was only possible because of the super fast SSD inside the ps5, but now you can use a slower drive and get similar results?

what about texture streaming and wheat not, what will that be like with a slower drive?
We're now at the stage where we argue that Verge are Microsoft shills who have falsified the benchmark results to hurt Sony or something.

Insomniac games said in the DF interview that they are not fully utilizing the SSD/IO capability. That there is performance left on the table for the future. I read comments of people thinking that would not change in the future. That R&C is using 100% of the SSD/IO. Go watch the interview. Stop making excuses or saying that the slowest drive would be enough for future games.

I've watched that interview. They have not fully utilized the SSD I/O capability. I'm not sure if I remember it right, did they say they had a slow version when developing the game? In a different interview, I think with IGN, they also said that they are barely scratching the surface with R&C's use of the I/O.

scydrex

So we were told a lot was only possible because of the super fast SSD inside the ps5, but now you can use a slower drive and get similar results?

what about texture streaming and wheat not, what will that be like with a slower drive?

They only tested loading. They did not tested streaming or anything like that. They did not test R&C with the portals for example. Also R&C is not fully utilizing the SSD/IO performance. The devs themselves said there is some performance left on the table from what i understood not a little bit or a tiny bit no... some. They did not specified how much.

reksveks

They only tested loading. They did not tested streaming or anything like that. They did not test R&C with the portals for example. Also R&C is not fully utilizing the SSD/IO performance. The devs themselves said there is some performance left on the table from what i understood not a little bit or a tiny bit no... some. They did not specified how much.

Post in thread 'The PS5 worked fine with the slowest compatible SSD we could find' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-...ible-ssd-we-could-find.1614733/post-264282029

Please read the article before saying things like they didn't test the portals

twilo99

I've watched that interview. They have not fully utilized the SSD I/O capability. I'm not sure if I remember it right, did they say they had a slow version when developing the game? In a different interview, I think with IGN, they also said that they are barely scratching the surface with R&C's use of the I/O.

I can't wait to see what happens when they fully utilize the I/O capabilities .. its going to be insane

I can't wait to see what happens when they fully utilize the I/O capabilities .. its going to be insane

They can afford to use 8k textures if they bother with it. That meager 13GB of usable RAM will not hinder them when they can load assets 'just in time'.

You could double the loading screens in Ratchet ( the ones that replace the entire level with a new one) and 95% of people probably wouldn't notice.

I doubt that the console is strong enough that it would ever coming close to maxing out the I/O when streaming in open world stuff etc as surely the GPU would just get overwhelmed but we've been held back by 5,400rpm HDDs for so long that maybe some crazy stuff is possible.

I'll still be buying whatever the fastest drive is as having a slower drive would eat away at my soul.

vpance

Dumb article, as to be expected from The Verge.

Cross-gen and early-gen games are not utilizing the SSD in the manner or extent that is eventually intended. With these early games you can put a below-spec SSD in there and everything works fine, albeit with load times a bit slower. This is misleading and does not tell the full story.

When developers start using the SSD to it's full potential, it will be essential to have an SSD that performs at the same level as the internal one. Most likely you will require one that is faster (than 5.5GB/s) in order to achieve functional parity, which is why Cerny is recommending a 7GB/s one.

Whatever that difference in performance between the internal and a slow M.2 will manifest in is most likely just going to be increased load times or worse pop in. I don't think devs will make fundamental parts of their game constantly require the absolute max speed of internal.

Even if future games were to I imagine there's some intelligent ways to handle it in this case, like by borrowing that chunky portion of reserved internal space as a cache or something.

FranXico

Some people (who will never want to go near a PS5) bitch and moan all they like about Sony lying about the PS5 SSD speed requirements, when later on it turns out slower (and even cheaper) SSDs can be used.

I hope it's worth the extra premium they pay for the considerably slower but more expensive proprietary storage expansion of other consoles.

At least these clickbait "journalists" are getting paid to do exactly this.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
but if the game loads it works?

Kholinar

Banned
PS5 ssd so magical don’t even have to use it to see the benefits…
Of course. It's just a 5.5GB/s drive. There were faster drives on the market since last year. It's the entire I/O complex that allows the PS5 to hit a real-world benchmark of 17GB/s with compression.
I hope you're a 12yo, if not, seek therapy or at least, leave the site for a while
With your level of literacy, I think you're the twelve-year-old here, buddy-pal.

GHG

The load times isn't the only thing that hammers the I/O in rift apart.

Lets see what DF have to say with a more in-depth and conclusive test.

Top Bottom