• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X Will Both Be Partially Outclassed by the Time That They're Released And Fully Outclassed One Year Later

pawel86ck

Banned
That was always the case, so no one should be surprised when high end PC hardware will outclass consoles in Q4 2020. I expect something like 3080ti to run all consoles games till the end of PS5 / XSX generation but who will want to pay 2500$ for high end PC just to play console games with just a little bit better or similar settings. I was playing on high end PCs since voodoo 2 era, but IMO next year will be not a good time to build high end PC and I will probably buy just PS5 and XSX.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The point is that developers will try to squeeze the best graphics possible once again. Also, don't forget Ray Tracing will probably be a thing next gen.

So what, i'm getting what i'm paying for. The best experience with multiplatform games, the best emulators and frontends, nearly infinite backwards compatibility that covers multiple generations, free "remasters" (every past generation game gets a higher resolution and frame rate treatment), high-refresh rate gaming, etc.

I understand and Im paying for what I pay for too. For some people an extra $400-500 isnt worth it or is totally unaffordable.
For $399 I get decent 3rd party games and exclusives the PC wont have. With both Playstation and Nintendo.

Most my favourite games Ive played these past 2 generations have been console exclusives. Uncharted serfies, Last of US, God of war, Demon Souls and Bloodborne, Infamous etc. Fire emblem 3 houses, Pikmin 3, Luigi’s mansion 3, Zelda BOTW, Mario etc etc.
Yes I looove Sekrio, Dark Souls, Stardew Valley, The witcher 3 and so on, but to me I get a good balance that I would no way replace with PC only. Of course the PC gets way better stuff like multiple generations, free remasters etc.

Its more of what you prefer, I wouldn’t be happy with missing the console games. But obviously playing Kingdoms of Amalur on PC to PS3 was way better. Hopefully if consoles can do more 60fps that would be perfect for me. And when I can afford a shit hot PC in a couple years, Ill add that to the gaming.

The only thing I miss the most about PC gaming is not getting the Total War series on console.. Which sucks cause I love them.

Luckily the times the PS4 Pro has given me the option for better FPS. God of war. Nioh. Kingdom Hearts 3 etc. Im hoping it will become the normal throughout the years on consoles.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I never said there isnt higher res game on the PC. Im saying 6 years later on a hardware they said was outdated from the very first day gave us God of War 4 and Spiderman. And those games look absolutely stunning. So all this pro- pc master race talk how the next gen consoles are already going to be old hardware...yeah let me see a PC put out games like these for $500 on a runing late to the party HW. Also majority dont run their games on 4K and ultra graphics with RT becuase they dont have a $3000 PC. Most people i know still play 1080p on their little 23 ultra wide monitor. $500 consoles and 65" TV any day of the week.

What you guys are comparing is how a texture has been painted, or a sky has been colored. The art of the main character or some little detail like a holster moving in the wind, etc..

All of those things are just art direction and not technology. It's the most unfair comparison I've ever seen on these boards. You ignore that the textures look blurry on the ground halfway the distance from the character to the horizon due to low anisotropic filtering (4x). You ignore that the game doesn't run at true 4k resolution and you settle for the reconstruction technique. You ignore the low approximation of SSAO over a more sophisticated technique that shows better results like HBAO+. You ignore a crude approximation to SSS skin on the character which only shows around the ears and isn't physically correct instead of seeing a true SSS solution on the entire character and not just the ears., etc.. etc..

There is so much tech that hasn't been shown on the current gen games it's not even funny. And when you start to see these things this generation, you'll write it off as being technically superior when it's been done years ago on the PC.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Always love PC only gamer's being disingenuous whenever consoles are brought up. No pc game next gen will be able to leverage 8 GB/s of NEW data every single second even with 64 GB of RAM. Resolution is what bottlenecked GPU's this gen not asset fidelity.

You make this claim over and over and over again as if you know exactly how much data will be needed to push into the system. And over and over and over I either a) ask you to prove it in a realworld scenario or b) give you the truth about how 8GB/s is nothing when you need over 400Gb/s for good bandwidth.

Just downloaded Death Stranding on ps4 pro and you have so much blur that you better not use right stick at all, if you want to see anything and the grass keeps growing 10 feet in front of you its disgustingly distracting to look at. Will wait for PC version. 60 fps and improved lod will make this game a looker.

That was always the case, so no one should be surprised when high end PC hardware will outclass consoles in Q4 2020. I expect something like 3080ti to run all consoles games till the end of PS5 / XSX generation but who will want to pay 2500$ for high end PC just to play console games with just a little bit better or similar settings. I was playing on high end PCs since voodoo 2 era, but IMO next year will be not a good time to build high end PC and I will probably buy just PS5 and XSX.

This is the most grounded reply I have seen on these forums since forever. You are a high end PC guy, that follows console trends, will also buy a PS5 even though your avatar is Xbox. I raise my beer glass to you, good sir :messenger_beermugs:

JLB

Banned
I never said there isnt higher res game on the PC. Im saying 6 years later on a hardware they said was outdated from the very first day gave us God of War 4 and Spiderman. And those games look absolutely stunning. So all this pro- pc master race talk how the next gen consoles are already going to be old hardware...yeah let me see a PC put out games like these for $500 on a runing late to the party HW. Also majority dont run their games on 4K and ultra graphics with RT becuase they dont have a $3000 PC. Most people i know still play 1080p on their little 23 ultra wide monitor. $500 consoles and 65" TV any day of the week.

Im not saying consoles dont have great looking games, but God of war or spiderman are 30fps games. That is joke level for a regular pc.
And im a primarily a console gamer, but wont deny the obvious.
Next year pc will have dlss 2.0, next gen consoles wont have anything closer to that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

What you guys are comparing is how a texture has been painted, or a sky has been colored. The art of the main character or some little detail like a holster moving in the wind, etc..

All of those things are just art direction and not technology.
It's the most unfair comparison I've ever seen on these boards. You ignore that the textures look blurry on the ground halfway the distance from the character to the horizon due to low anisotropic filtering (4x). You ignore that the game doesn't run at true 4k resolution and you settle for the reconstruction technique. You ignore the low approximation of SSAO over a more sophisticated technique that shows better results like HBAO+. You ignore a crude approximation to SSS skin on the character which only shows around the ears and isn't physically correct instead of seeing a true SSS solution on the entire character and not just the ears., etc.. etc..

There is so much tech that hasn't been shown on the current gen games it's not even funny. And when you start to see these things this generation, you'll write it off as being technically superior when it's been done years ago on the PC.

dude all the vegetation moving with the wind in tsushima is not only art style, you need computational power and tricks and heavy optimization with an ancient hardware to get that shit done and no pc game has that (at least not in the same amount), not even rdr2, that's why people thought the game was some sort of tech demo for next gen when they released the first trailer, no amount of art design can do that.
same for facial animation, details in characters, care for details or animations, it's all technical work for devs, not art design choices...

Last edited:

All of those things are just art direction and not technology. It's the most unfair comparison I've ever seen on these boards. You ignore that the textures look blurry on the ground halfway the distance from the character to the horizon due to low anisotropic filtering (4x). You ignore that the game doesn't run at true 4k resolution and you settle for the reconstruction technique. You ignore the low approximation of SSAO over a more sophisticated technique that shows better results like HBAO+. You ignore a crude approximation to SSS skin on the character which only shows around the ears and isn't physically correct instead of seeing a true SSS solution on the entire character and not just the ears., etc.. etc..

Look, if your avatar name is true in its claim, I am not going to argue with you over specifics as that is not my field of knowledge. I get what you are saying, same as me in my photography field, I know what is a quality photo for retouching while someone else out there thinks an iphone photo is good enough with limited pixels and jpeg format. Obviously consoles are not works of magic for only $400. Specifically as JLB JLB mentioned most games do run at 30fps and all the other things that you mentioned. What Im saying is at the end of the day as a gamer, consoles are so much more fun to play. From its plug n play (no drivers, no figuring out what to lower in settings to get those extra 2 fps etc). While those examples you gave are valid, me 3 meters away from my 65" cant tell and wouldnt even notice pixel peeping especially in motion. So my comment is not against PC gamers but against articles such as these that just want to shit on someones parade. DOesnt matter how outdated it gets, I dont see PC putting out games that are optimized for a hardware machine 6 years old and yet it looks as good as any modern game of today. On consoles thats is what you get, the more time they have with the hardware the more juice they get out of it and its insane what they pull out of a $400 system. You can not even get minesweeper in 4K to run on a $400 PC.

Also im pretty sure you dont have a beefy PC just because of gaming but because of your work. Same as I do my iMac that is specked out for large image files and editing. I personally know more PC gamer friends than console ones and they always talk big against consoles but to me you cant make those claims as in facts only if you dont have the actual hardware to run as you are saying the PC can. Thats my gripe because majority ends up still playing 1080P with medium textures and shadows off but then they come here and say how PC is so much better. Its amazing if you want to spit out $3000, but console gaming at its price point is awesome because I never felt "oh man I really think my PS4 Pro is so outdated, cant wait for next gen hardware". A PC at $500 after 6 months Id be considering something new again.

Last edited:

Kerotan

What is with people and their infatuation with what the next man has? I never understood this toxic mentality. Get what you like, and don't worry about others. I only care about what I have, and no next gen console has my interest, as it would be a downgrade.

Why would pc's need that when the average gamer has 16gb of ram or more? That's not including vram either. Even old ram is faster than ssd's. Why would anyone want to stream textures from a ssd vs from the ram? Do you even understand how pc gaming differs from consoles? Or do you only listen to console PR/hype?
Who said I cared? What I care about is playing games at the ps5 will allow me to without spending an absolute fortune.

pawel86ck

Banned
This is the most grounded reply I have seen on these forums since forever. You are a high end PC guy, that follows console trends, will also buy a PS5 even though your avatar is Xbox. I raise my beer glass to you, good sir :messenger_beermugs:
I have good memories with xbox classic, but I'm playing games on all platforms. If I would play just on xbox I would miss many great games on PC or playstation. But maybe I will stick to consoles next year, because the last time when I bought high end PC (8700K + 1080ti) I was playing on consoles most of the time, although I have paid 4x more for PC.

Who said I cared? What I care about is playing games at the ps5 will allow me to without spending an absolute fortune.
Well if you didn't care, I don't see why you are concerned about what the average pc owner has as far as hardware specs go. You said it, not me. My whole ordeal with consoles are: they just don't have the performance I need. 30fps is a sin, and dropping below 30fps is fucking unacceptable. 60fps is barely acceptable, to me at least. The average gamer may not care, but I do and I'm willing to pay a little extra, to get a lot more performance and customization, which isn't available on consoles.

With several first party exclusives coming to PC, directly from Sony, there is no reason for me to waste money on a console, as I can play the same games with higher quality visuals, resolution, and framerate. People shouldn't be worried about what the next person prefers, but to enjoy their methods of gaming. I just don't like when people attack myself or others decisions, because they have outrageous expectations for next gen consoles, and think they are "superior" to pc hardware, which is furthest from the truth.

Last edited:

Shmunter

You make this claim over and over and over again as if you know exactly how much data will be needed to push into the system. And over and over and over I either a) ask you to prove it in a realworld scenario or b) give you the truth about how 8GB/s is nothing when you need over 400Gb/s for good bandwidth.
I don’t know who’s backing you on this forum, but fuck me it’s outrageous you’re allowed to get away with such ignorance while wearing a title.

Luckily most have the good sense to see through it.

I don’t know who’s backing you on this forum, but fuck me it’s outrageous you’re allowed to get away with such ignorance while wearing a title.

Luckily most have the good sense to see through it.
Hmmm... Is he the ignorant one? Or is it the person who doesn't understand how simple things like bandwidth can affect resolution, framerate, etc, that is the ignorant one? You are right on one thing though, that most people have good enough sense to see right through it.... because the majority agree that pc's will always be ahead. Look through the first couple of pages before all the console warriors turned the thread into shit. You'll see that most people are saying "water is wet" , "isn't that oblivious?", Or "tell us something we didn't know". It's only the console warriors who are saying otherwise, without any factual data to prove otherwise.

Let me ask you a simple question. If games are developed on pc, why would they not be the most powerful part of the equation? If consoles had the upper hand, wouldn't pc games be developed on consoles instead? Why can I have over 100 tabs open in chrome browser, music playing, discord running, editing programs opened in the background, all while playing a game with maximum fps, resolution, quality, while streaming it online to others? A console can only have music playing in the background while playing a game. Isn't it obvious which has the advantage in regards to "power"?

Kerotan

Well if you didn't care, I don't see why you are concerned about what the average pc owner has as far as hardware specs go. You said it, not me. My whole ordeal with consoles are: they just don't have the performance I need. 30fps is a sin, and dropping below 30fps is fucking unacceptable. 60fps is barely acceptable, to me at least. The average gamer may not care, but I do and I'm willing to pay a little extra, to get a lot more performance and customization, which isn't available on consoles.

With several first party exclusives coming to PC, directly from Sony, there is no reason for me to waste money on a console, as I can play the same games with higher quality visuals, resolution, and framerate. People shouldn't be worried about what the next person prefers, but to enjoy their methods of gaming. I just don't like when people attack myself or others decisions, because they have outrageous expectations for next gen consoles, and think they are "superior" to pc hardware, which is furthest from the truth.
I'm not concerned I can just talk about whatever I want. That's the point of this forum.

Do you have any proof of said claims? Not like a tech demo, but any footage of loading a level in a next gen game? These certain claims were made, along with 8k resolution. It kind of reminds me of how current gen consoles were supposed to be native 4k60fps. Just like previous gen was supposed to be native 1080p.... There's a trend with consoles, that have outrageous claims, and usually never come true. I don't doubt developers will optimize loading times on ALL platforms. Remember now, devs had to cater to the lowest hardware, which were very slow laptop hard drives included in ps4 and xb1. We will see if all of these claims hold true, but for now there is absolutely no factual evidence to support those claims.
The only proof we have are the figures Cerny gave and the spiderman demo. The spiderman demo went from 8 seconds to 0.8 seconds. A 10x speed up, it is likely there's some minimal amount of time needed always for things like scene setup, that might mean we only see 100x loading speed ups in games with minute+ load times.

No he doesn't. Remember the PS guys say things as if they are developers working at Sony. All of their comments are factual and must be adhered to since it's been proven already in a game they've made or a benchmark they've designed.
Do you think Cerny pulls figures out of a magic hat? He clearly benchmarked it somewhere, as he said the developers can see that 100x speed up not in theory but in practice.
I don't the reason. But when I play on pc even 40+fps seems unstable and jarring. Might be frame times, or somethings. On console those 30fps almost always seem smooth like butter.
And when you start to see these things this generation, you'll write it off as being technically superior when it's been done years ago on the PC.

just like happened between witcher 2 and witcher 3. We will see a generational leap in the quality of content. you can say that technically they are the same, but they are not.

Just about every time there's been a console jump there's been a generational leap in the quality of content the consoles run. Until the new consoles arrive most games are easily ported to existing consoles with minor loss of textures, shadows, etc. but essentially intact geometry, physics, level design, etc. After a console jump there's a massive increase in geometry, level design complexity(look at uncharted ps4 chase scene scenario vs ps3's uncharted more limited scenarios), physics, etc But a game like god of war ps4 or ghost of tsushima would need massive cuts to run on ps3, not just a drop in a few shadows or texture resolution.

Im not saying consoles dont have great looking games, but God of war or spiderman are 30fps games. That is joke level for a regular pc.
And im a primarily a console gamer, but wont deny the obvious.
I don't know the reason. But when I play on pc even 40+fps seems unstable and jarring. Might be frame times, or somethings. On console those 30fps almost always seem smooth like butter.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
dude all the vegetation moving with the wind in tsushima is not only art style, you need computational power and tricks and heavy optimization with an ancient hardware to get that shit done and no pc game has that (at least not in the same amount), not even rdr2, that's why people thought the game was some sort of tech demo for next gen when they released the first trailer, no amount of art design can do that.
same for facial animation, details in characters, care for details or animations, it's all technical work for devs, not art design choices...

No you don't. You know how easy it is?

Take a transparent card and place 3 joints on it so it can move from side to side (it only shows it moving to either side because it's a card). Instance the one piece of geometry about 1,000 times. The memory only has to store 1 set of vertices in memory and all the others can be transformed. Place direction vectors with a force attribute applied to them in the scene. Iterate through a timeframe and move the joints in a direction parallel to the direction vectors. Apply a follow-through force vector so that they move smoothly from standing position to blown direction. That's it. Not hard to do at all. This shit is all over UE4 and Unity graphics engine.

Why don't you guys take a course on game design before spouting off non-sense so that you know how shit works before talking?

RDR2, Assassin's Creed, Batman (all the games), Watch Dogs, Witcher 3, Hellblade, Jedi Fallen, Crysis, The Division, Control, Tomb Raider, etc.. etc.. etc..

It's nothing new man and has been done for years.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

LOL! Backing me? Ignorance? Tell me why an SSD is required for computing the final pixel color on a screen. Can you walk me through a scenario where 5G/s from an I/O drive is absolutely required for a game to run and not be bottlenecked at the GPU? Do tell.

ZywyPL

Banned
Always love PC only gamer's being disingenuous whenever consoles are brought up. No pc game next gen will be able to leverage 8 GB/s of NEW data every single second even with 64 GB of RAM. Resolution is what bottlenecked GPU's this gen not asset fidelity.

Why would a PC with 64GB RAM need to stream anything while it can store entire games in the operation memory?... Comments like this one shows how clueless some people are in this whole SSD hype debate. Streaming, no matter how good, was, is, and always will be a workaround for insufficient amount RAM, that's why PC never even bothered with it that much, while it's used as much as possible in most if not all games on consoles.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Why would a PC with 64GB RAM need to stream anything while it can store entire games in the operation memory?... Comments like this one shows how clueless some people are in this whole SSD hype debate. Streaming, no matter how good, was, is, and always will be a workaround for insufficient amount RAM, that's why PC never even bothered with it, that much, while it's used in most if not all games on consoles as much as possible.

I don't understand these guys!!! WTF??? Are they that desperate to find a reason to own a console over a PC that they resort to make-believe scenarios in order to make their hardware appear superior?? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

hyperbertha

Why would a PC with 64GB RAM need to stream anything while it can store entire games in the operation memory?... Comments like this one shows how clueless some people are in this whole SSD hype debate. Streaming, no matter how good, was, is, and always will be a workaround for insufficient amount RAM, that's why PC never even bothered with it that much, while it's used as much as possible in most if not all games on consoles.
Don't insult my common sense. Obviously I was talking about games far larger than 64 GB. In the 100s. And with the openworld no loading screen system so common in games these days, this is a very likely scenario. Yeah no shit a 50 GB game can be loaded into memory.

And lets not forget that 64 GB itself was an exaggeration. Lowest common denominator next gen is going to be 16 GB on PC, so its not like PC has a RAM advantage anyway for 50 GB games.

GymWolf

No you don't. You know how easy it is?

Take a transparent card and place 3 joints on it so it can move from side to side (it only shows it moving to either side because it's a card). Instance the one piece of geometry about 1,000 times. The memory only has to store 1 set of vertices in memory and all the others can be transformed. Place direction vectors with a force attribute applied to them in the scene. Iterate through a timeframe and move the joints in a direction parallel to the direction vectors. Apply a follow-through force vector so that they move smoothly from standing position to blown direction. That's it. Not hard to do at all. This shit is all over UE4 and Unity graphics engine.

Why don't you guys take a course on game design before spouting off non-sense so that you know how shit works before talking?

RDR2, Assassin's Creed, Batman (all the games), Watch Dogs, Witcher 3, Hellblade, Jedi Fallen, Crysis, The Division, Control, Tomb Raider, etc.. etc.. etc..

It's nothing new man and has been done for years.

yep, pretty unimpressive dude

Otherwise, the demo stands out in three areas: the swathes of plant life, the physics interaction, and also Sucker Punch's post-effects pipeline. Of course, the breadth of swaying plants in that opening shot is staggering, and the first thing to catch the eye. The draw distance is quite unlike anything we've seen this generation, and even a game like The Witcher 3 with its White Orchard area had to prune back its rendering range to cope on current-gen systems. By contrast, Ghost of Tsushima shows no sign of pop-in at all. Combined with PS4 Pro's 1800p resolution, you can see the wind causing a ripple-effect across a sea of white, and even a siege on a village far away the distance.

What takes this to the next level is the physics simulation. It's a showcase feature across the demo, and a big focus for Sucker Punch's engine next to the more static cityscapes of InFamous. Grass bends around Jin's horse as it gallops through the meadow, and individual tousles of hair in its tail bounce against each other mid-stride. Most impressive of all is the final showdown though. Hundreds of leaves swirl around the legs of our hero, as he makes sharp lunges forward. A burst of energy forcing a clear line across the ground, but it's impermanent, and these patches are covered up again by a new wave of leaves falling from a nearby tree.

Everything is affected. Clothing ripples in the wind, and even flags, ropes and everything in between flap during the initial horse-ride too. Now let's be clear: Ghost of Tsushima puts a big emphasis on the stillness of its warriors. Whether it's the characters engaged in a stand-off - waiting for the opponent to strike - or a chance to take in the view, the interplay with physics offsets that lack of motion beautifully. At every moment the screen feels alive - even if that moment is a quiet one.

Another great touch is the lighting. Over the course of the demo, a conscious effort is made to have the sun slowly set; from the grasslands, to the temple, to the final battle, each area incidentally has a different tone as a result. At the start, the leaves glisten brightly, and bloom blends in with the layer of mist across the grass. You can catch streaks of god rays firing down between the dark clouds - but everything is clearly lit to show off that open space. It's a dynamic time of day - and shadows are affected by the sun's position, casting detailed shade from branches.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Not sure if that $2500 number is true, but even if it is, that $2500 becomes $2000 becomes $1500 becomes $800, etc. And this process will happen pretty quickly if AMD can actually deliver competitive cards.

And for many of us, we already have solid PCs and can just slot a 3xxx or 4xxxx GPU into our existing systems and be good to go.

What pc version? Let me guess on the rig that 1%!of pc owners own with cross fire and titans? 😂😂🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Meanwhile stats not too long ago showed majority oc gabers aren't even playing in 4k or wuth hdr lol
It's easy to spot someone who only games on console, and has never had an experience with pc gaming. For the majority of pc gamers, they prefer higher frame rate, over 4k resolution. I prefer 3440x1440 resolution, over 144fps on a curved ultrawide monitor with HDR >>> basic 4k hdr tv. With DLSS you get the best of all worlds, resolution, high frame rate, and raytracing.

You don't need SLI and definitely not a Titan to run that. Even a medium spec pc can play RDR2 in double the framerate of a console, and graphical features unavailable on console. Only insecure gamers pull out the "well you need to spend 3k" or "what percentage of pc gamers can run that?". Is it more important how many people have been to the moon? Or the fact that the feat was accomplished? Stop worrying about the next man, and what he has.

JimboJones

I don't know the reason. But when I play on pc even 40+fps seems unstable and jarring. Might be frame times, or somethings. On console those 30fps almost always seem smooth like butter.

This is one of the worst myths out there, the "smooth" console 30fps
Bro of course 40fps is gonna feel like ass, it's gonna feel like ass on any system, did you not see RE3 pre update on Xbox?

This is one of the worst myths out there, the "smooth" console 30fps
Bro of course 40fps is gonna feel like ass, it's gonna feel like ass on any system, did you not see RE3 pre update on Xbox?
60fps needs to be a standard at all costs. If consoles need to drop resolution and textures, so be it. But 60fps is bare minimum now a days, at least for a certain crowd.

JimboJones

60fps needs to be a standard at all costs. If consoles need to drop resolution and textures, so be it. But 60fps is bare minimum now a days, at least for a certain crowd.
I usually aim for 60 minimum on PC but I have no problem playing at a fairly stable 30fps, it's not ideal but generally i can stand it if the game is good enough and it's not too unstable.

It's just bothers me with this myth that 30fps is better on consoles than PC, especially when you look back at said 30fps game and discover it wasn't even a locked 30fps game in the first place, it fluctuated wildly but yeah console smooth 🧐 , you can play a 30fps on PC just fine if you so wish and have a perfectly "smooth" experience if that is what you desire. It only seems janky because 90% everything about the PC defaults to at least 60fps so the sudden change to 30 in some cases seems out of place where consoles tend to have lower expectations.

I might do a few videos of gameplay with solid 30fps across various games.

I usually aim for 60 minimum on PC but I have no problem playing at a fairly stable 30fps, it's not ideal but generally i can stand it if the game is good enough and it's not too unstable.

It's just bothers me with this myth that 30fps is better on consoles than PC, especially when you look back at said 30fps game and discover it wasn't even a locked 30fps game in the first place, it fluctuated wildly but yeah console smooth 🧐 , you can play a 30fps on PC just fine if you so wish and have a perfectly "smooth" experience if that is what you desire. It only seems janky because 90% everything about the PC defaults to at least 60fps so the sudden change to 30 in some cases seems out of place where consoles tend to have lower expectations.

I might do a few videos of gameplay with solid 30fps across various games.
It seems most console players prefer that stop animation framerate, and anything above that is a bad thing. I've seen countless people on here say that 60fps is not needed, unless it's a fps. That mentality is beyond ridiculous, and toxic to the gaming community as a whole. I can't see how someone can prefer low framerate to high framerate, regardless of type of game.

VFXVeteran

Banned
yep, pretty unimpressive dude

Otherwise, the demo stands out in three areas: the swathes of plant life, the physics interaction, and also Sucker Punch's post-effects pipeline. Of course, the breadth of swaying plants in that opening shot is staggering, and the first thing to catch the eye. The draw distance is quite unlike anything we've seen this generation, and even a game like The Witcher 3 with its White Orchard area had to prune back its rendering range to cope on current-gen systems. By contrast, Ghost of Tsushima shows no sign of pop-in at all. Combined with PS4 Pro's 1800p resolution, you can see the wind causing a ripple-effect across a sea of white, and even a siege on a village far away the distance.

What takes this to the next level is the physics simulation. It's a showcase feature across the demo, and a big focus for Sucker Punch's engine next to the more static cityscapes of InFamous. Grass bends around Jin's horse as it gallops through the meadow, and individual tousles of hair in its tail bounce against each other mid-stride. Most impressive of all is the final showdown though. Hundreds of leaves swirl around the legs of our hero, as he makes sharp lunges forward. A burst of energy forcing a clear line across the ground, but it's impermanent, and these patches are covered up again by a new wave of leaves falling from a nearby tree.

Everything is affected. Clothing ripples in the wind, and even flags, ropes and everything in between flap during the initial horse-ride too. Now let's be clear: Ghost of Tsushima puts a big emphasis on the stillness of its warriors. Whether it's the characters engaged in a stand-off - waiting for the opponent to strike - or a chance to take in the view, the interplay with physics offsets that lack of motion beautifully. At every moment the screen feels alive - even if that moment is a quiet one.

Another great touch is the lighting. Over the course of the demo, a conscious effort is made to have the sun slowly set; from the grasslands, to the temple, to the final battle, each area incidentally has a different tone as a result. At the start, the leaves glisten brightly, and bloom blends in with the layer of mist across the grass. You can catch streaks of god rays firing down between the dark clouds - but everything is clearly lit to show off that open space. It's a dynamic time of day - and shadows are affected by the sun's position, casting detailed shade from branches.

It's a current gen game that can easily be implemented on any hardware bro. It'll probably be released on PC so there's always that. It's not a tech workhorse.

And that UE4 demo can't be done on a console. What's important about physics is it's accuracy. We write real physics equations all the time where I work. It's a CPU-bound feature. Games can do it with the hardware now, they just prioritize getting shit to the screen more because that's the bottleneck.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not sure if that $2500 number is true, but even if it is, that $2500 becomes $2000 becomes $1500 becomes $800, etc. And this process will happen pretty quickly if AMD can actually deliver competitive cards.

And for many of us, we already have solid PCs and can just slot a 3xxx or 4xxxx GPU into our existing systems and be good to go.

That Nvidia 3080 will cost you $1,000 though.......Like do you NOT seeing the issue in that?

It seems most console players prefer that stop animation framerate, and anything above that is a bad thing. I've seen countless people on here say that 60fps is not needed, unless it's a fps. That mentality is beyond ridiculous, and toxic to the gaming community as a whole. I can't see how someone can prefer low framerate to high framerate, regardless of type of game.

You're being ignorant. Console gamers are okay with a stable 30 fps, because it's been good enough for 30 years. Stop acting as if 60 fps is the minimum we should expect or even like.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

No issue if you have the money. The card has the latest tech. It's not going to be sold for $500 dude. You can't even find a 2080Ti for $1k. Most are in the $1,200s.

Hence the issue/problem. That's what many of us are trying to get some of you to understand. And I didn't even know a 2080Ti was $1,200. Like, of course, your experience will be better. It "HAS" to be lol.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Hence the issue/problem. That's what many of us are trying to get some of you to understand. And I didn't even know a 2080Ti was $1,200. Like, of course, your experience will be better. It "HAS" to be lol.

If you don't have the money, that's fine. But don't declare superior hardware when it's inferior. Look at your friends comments and refute their nonsense because you know it's nonsense. If some of you PS fans would actually argue with your own zealots, you might get them to calm down and think rationally.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

What is there to understand exactly... a lot of people don’t have 2080TI or even 1080TI. But if you want the best performance it costs what it costs.

We have no idea what the next line of GPUs are going to look like but based on rumors I don’t think you’ll need a 3080TI to have a more powerful GPU than the Xbox. And of course there will be a line of cards later that brings that performance down (in the past, the new 70 performed like the old 80, the 60 like the 70, down the line)
. Just like not everyone buys a console at launch not everyone needs a top of the line GPU immediately or ever.

That Nvidia 3080 will cost you $1,000 though.......Like do you NOT seeing the issue in that?

You're being ignorant. Console gamers are okay with a stable 30 fps, because it's been good enough for 30 years. Stop acting as if 60 fps is the minimum we should expect or even like.
Well why don't console gamers stop bitching about 30fps or 60fps. When games can't keep up with 30fps, of course people are going to bitch on console.

Look, if your avatar name is true in its claim, I am not going to argue with you over specifics as that is not my field of knowledge. I get what you are saying, same as me in my photography field, I know what is a quality photo for retouching while someone else out there thinks an iphone photo is good enough with limited pixels and jpeg format. Obviously consoles are not works of magic for only $400. Specifically as JLB JLB mentioned most games do run at 30fps and all the other things that you mentioned. What Im saying is at the end of the day as a gamer, consoles are so much more fun to play. From its plug n play (no drivers, no figuring out what to lower in settings to get those extra 2 fps etc). While those examples you gave are valid, me 3 meters away from my 65" cant tell and wouldnt even notice pixel peeping especially in motion. So my comment is not against PC gamers but against articles such as these that just want to shit on someones parade. DOesnt matter how outdated it gets, I dont see PC putting out games that are optimized for a hardware machine 6 years old and yet it looks as good as any modern game of today. On consoles thats is what you get, the more time they have with the hardware the more juice they get out of it and its insane what they pull out of a $400 system. You can not even get minesweeper in 4K to run on a $400 PC.

Also im pretty sure you dont have a beefy PC just because of gaming but because of your work. Same as I do my iMac that is specked out for large image files and editing. I personally know more PC gamer friends than console ones and they always talk big against consoles but to me you cant make those claims as in facts only if you dont have the actual hardware to run as you are saying the PC can. Thats my gripe because majority ends up still playing 1080P with medium textures and shadows off but then they come here and say how PC is so much better. Its amazing if you want to spit out $3000, but console gaming at its price point is awesome because I never felt "oh man I really think my PS4 Pro is so outdated, cant wait for next gen hardware". A PC at $500 after 6 months Id be considering something new again.

If I were you, I wouldn't take VFXVeteran to be an authority in anything other than being a VFX artist. I'd add that it has absolutely nothing to do with graphics programming, performance profiling, etc. They use tools like Maya, Cinema 4D, etc. VFXveteran knows about as much about graphics programming and performance profiling as you do. He's not qualified to talk about the topic intelligently and he's attempting to stretch outside his area of expertise to claim expertise in a topic that is completely foreign to him. It's not the first time he's done so. He attempted to do so on the other forum and was banned. He's a VFX "veteran" and that's about it. For a 50+ year old dude, his line of reasoning at times is rather childish.

Last edited:
If I were you, I wouldn't take VFX to be an authority in anything other than being a VFX artist. I'd add that it has absolutely nothing to do with graphics programming, performance profiling, etc. They use tools like Maya, Cinema 4D, etc. VFXveteran knows about as much about graphics programming and performance profiling as you do. He's not qualified to talk about the topic intelligently and he's attempting to stretch outside his area of expertise to claim expertise in a topic that is completely foreign to him. It's not the first time he's done so. He attempted to do so on the other forum and was banned. He's a VFX "veteran" and that's about it. For a 50+ year old dude, his line of reasoning at times is rather childish.
So because VFXVeteran VFXVeteran knows his shit, and because some may not like his standpoint (which is an absolute fact), you wanna discredit him? Let's take for example of technology and the way it moves. We have the Rtx 3xxx series coming out this year. The 2080 TI, and other current cards will demolish next-gen consoles. Why would the 3xxx series not continue the trend? More or less, wouldn't the 4xxx series not release upon console midcycle, and further dominate consoles, yet again? Do some people believe that consoles are the only next gen systems?!

Last edited:
So because VFXVeteran VFXVeteran knows his shit, and because some may not like his standpoint (which is an absolute fact), you wanna discredit him? Let's take for example of technology and the way it moves. We have the Rtx 3xxx series coming out this year. The 2080 TI, and other current cards will demolish next-gen consoles. Why would the 3xxx series not continue the trend? More or less, wouldn't the 4xxx series not release upon console midcycle, and further dominate consoles, yet again? Do some people believe that consoles are the only next gen systems?!
It's well known that pc hardware will outperform console hardware. I did not attempt to dispute that fact. Now, what percentage of the population would have access to that hardware, that's a completely different debate all together.

My post was merely meant to highlight the simple truth that, VFXVeteran is not an authority in anything other than being a VFX artist. VFXVeteran is not qualified to speak about GPU architecture, CPU architecture, programming paradigms, apis, etc. He can speculate and engage in knowledge-less discussions like the vast majority on this forum. I was just informing the other poster that they had no reason to feel intimidated as VFXVeteran is just as clueless in this discussion.

It seems that you percieved what was not written. Take the texts as it is and refrain from trying to deduce intention.

Last edited:

Sagii86

He did not discredited him, he pointed a fact. There's a huge difference between knowing your hardware performance & compare it to others based on benchmarks and dry specs sheet provided by the manufacture (which anyone can do) and claiming you know how the next step in visual fidelity will look like, like he did in the past.

It's well known that pc hardware will outperform console hardware. I did not attempt to dispute that fact. Now, what percentage of the population would have access to that hardware, that's a completely different debate all together.

My post was merely meant to highlight the simple truth that, VFXVeteran is not an authority in anything other than being a VFX artist. It seems that you percieved what was not written. Take the texts as it is and refrain from trying to decipher intention.
You do realize you don't need more than an average spec computer to get more than double the framerate of consoles, right? It's the higher end pc's that have quadruple the framerate of consoles, and then some. The amount of people doesn't matter, as anyone who doesn't rely on government payouts, can easily build a more than decent desktop. Maybe if you realized that already, you would not be talking about the population of pc gamers and what they own.

Last edited:
You do realize you don't need more than an average spec computer to get more than double the framerate of consoles, right? It's the higher end pc's that have quadruple the framerate of consoles, and then some. The amount of people doesn't matter, as anyone who doesn't rely on government payouts, can easily build a more than decent desktop. Maybe if you realized that already, you would not be talking about the population of pc gamers and what they own.
I have no interest in participating in a consoles vs pc debate with you or anyone else for that matter. It's a low IQ discussion that yields no rewards and it's a waste of my time. With that, I'm out of this thread.

Last edited:
I have no interest in participating in a consoles vs pc debate with you or anyone else for that matter. It's a low IQ discussion that yields no rewards and it's a waste of my time. With that, I'm out of this thread.
It's only low iq when you have nothing to add or counter an argument. If you have anything to add to the discussion, it's more than welcomed. If you accept the fact, that's about end of story. But let me not stop you from commenting. It's a forum after all, you can add anything you want.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

If you don't have the money, that's fine. But don't declare superior hardware when it's inferior. Look at your friends comments and refute their nonsense because you know it's nonsense. If some of you PS fans would actually argue with your own zealots, you might get them to calm down and think rationally.

How many people are actually arguing that the PS5 or the XSX will be superior to any and all PC hardware for a whole generation? I don't think that's the debate that's being had to be honest.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Alas, the work of my hands hath incited enmity amongst the people. The people's words flow from their fingertips as does magma from mountains of fire, the wake of their words becoming filled with piles of ash from which heaps of smoke rise higher and higher - blackening the skies and thereby concealing the light from our eyes. Soon, there will be only darkness - and that darkness shall be my doing.

It's only low iq when you have nothing to add or counter an argument. If you have anything to add to the discussion, it's more than welcomed. If you accept the fact, that's about end of story. But let me not stop you from commenting. It's a forum after all, you can add anything you want.
You have successfully baited me into a final reply. Its low IQ because its a discussion focused on disputing a well known fact. Arguing about this topic is borderline idiotic in the same vein that arguing against the existence of gravity is idiotic. This thread should have been immediately locked for being entirely pointless. It is why I refuse to be drawn into such a stupid discussion. Feel free to continue to participate but expect to do so without any further replies from me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom