• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X Will Both Be Partially Outclassed by the Time That They're Released And Fully Outclassed One Year Later

ZywyPL

Banned
PCMR.jpg

Corrected with actual Steam data ;)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So, I have 3700x/x570 pc with rtx 2070 and nvme pcie x3 drives.... I fucked up by apparently not going x4 ?

Well done OP. 👏👍
You're right, the only revelant part of next gen is PS5 SDD. Everything else will be outaded before the end of the year. Claiming one is more powerfull than other, when they are both "shit" (they are not and Zen 2 CPU is a real game changer in what i understand), is childish.

Woo-Fu

Banned
No plans to purchase either of them, isn't near enough information for me to make a decision like that yet. Check back in a couple years when I can see what each one offers in terms of exclusives I can't play anywhere else.

Nickolaidas

I'm not going to give my opinion because it will be ignored, refuted, invalidated and/or ridiculed by the console warriors.
I prefer the term 'bullshit warrior' myself.

I fight the arguments spouted by people who move goalposts at light speed and create fictional scenarios to fit their narrative.

Bullshit, in short.

Alphagear

Outclassed by what?

Hardware that costs the same or 1500/2000 dollars?

Consoles are made to be a powerful and affordable to the average gamer. Pc gamers dont have that handicap and are more than free to fork out whatever they want.

I could build a pc now which would not just outclass the next gen Xsx and Ps5 but probably the ps6 and xsx2. Will cost me thousands to build though.

One thing is for sure, the average pc gamer aint getting anything close to a xsx and ps5 for 500 dollars.

Not for next couple of years for sure. Come back when pc hardware outclasses ps5 and xsx at the same cost. Then you have a point.

Nickolaidas

Outclassed by what?

Hardware that costs the same or 1500/2000 dollars?

Consoles are made to be a powerful and affordable to the average gamer. Pc gamers dont have that handicap and are more than free to fork out whatever they want.

I could build a pc now which would not just outclass the next gen Xsx and Ps5 but probably the ps6 and xsx2. Will cost me thousands to build though.

One thing is for sure, the average pc gamer aint getting anything close to a xsx and ps5 for 500 dollars.

Not for next couple of years for sure. Come back when pc hardware outclasses ps5 and xsx at the same cost. Then you have a point.
Silly peasant!

The whole point is to make you all realize how weak consoles are to pc! Context is neither needed nor wanted!

Look at you lot, pathetically clinging to your cheap, weak little toys instead of sucking off the power of tomorrow, today!!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The big question mark is RDNA 2 RT and ML performance. Sounds like XSX is already around the raster performance of a 2080 with Gears 5 quick port according to DF. We'll have to see where RDNA 2 ends up in comparison to Turing/Amphere RT/ML performance.

PC doesn't strictly follow console gens. When PS5/XSX release you don't have to run out and buy a whole new system. In my case I'm planning on doing some upgrades to facilitate giving my son a better PC than his current for his birthday later in the summer, but I would be just fine hanging onto my current specs even another couple years if I wanted.

fybyfyby

From my point of view, you are partialy wrong.

Wrong side: The thing with consoles is, that you have lowest common denominator within base model of console (for xbox it will be more complicated because they want to suppor X1 for some time further).

But, in case of PS5 exclusives, you can rely on fast ssd access and you dont have to look back. The point is, on pc, you always need to look back and you have to decide, what hardware you will support.

You can say, lot of people have ssds. Ok, but are they at least 3GB/S NVMe ssds? Lot of people, if they have ssds have sata ssd. And you still need to not forget on people with GTX 1060 3GB and classic disc with 150 MB/s read potential.

Thats the point.

Of course you can buy 2080 Ti. But how many people have it to be paying audience for game development specially for 2080/ti ?

Of course you will have more fps / details. But in terms of game design, developers still need run their game on that inferior pc config, which is what most people have.

Good side: For multiplats, lowest common denominator will be probably X1, or that gtx 1060 with slow disk. It depends. Multiplats will probably not change so dramatically. Im really curious about them. I think lot of developers will try to make some PS5/XSX exclusive game because of their much higher lowest common denominator. I dont know, if someone makes a game for PC saying, that it needs NVMe 3GB/s disc and 1080/2060/Vega/5700 card minimally.

And thats on of differences between console and PC world. Consoles have relatively tight budget and are projected to last longer. So they had custom chips and very often also custom system architecture. Lot of people say, consoles are now only PCs. Thats also partialy true. They are custom made PCs with lot of optimalizations for gaming, which arent present on PCs. Thats the reason Pro and XOX were able to run 4K30/60 games with much more inferior hardware in opposite to PC.

hyperbertha

if i remember well, a lot of details in console version of rdr2 are below low details on pc and even 1440p on pc has a far better iq than xone x version at 4k (some people explain to me why but i don't remember)

console version is nowhere near pc high details.

not saying that pc version looks 10x better than console version, just adding some context.
Like I said earlier, consoles already have ultra models and textures (proof is already in this thread). If getting ultra grass lod and water physics is that important to you, go ahead.
I for one am hard pressed to notice differences between the pro versions and the pc versions. People here praise fps, but rdr2 on ultra is still capping 40 ish on pc so I really don't get the appeal.

This is about choosing whether you want AAA console exclusives or the extra bells and whistles on the PC version of third party games and IMO this task is too easy. Last gen I had a PC for third party and a Ps4 pro for exclusives and tbh I can do without the bells and whistles.
Next gen, all games are pretty much guaranteed to have a 60 fps performance option on console so even the fps maniacs have no real argument for pc really.

ZywyPL

Banned
The big question mark is RDNA 2 RT and ML performance. Sounds like XSX is already around the raster performance of a 2080 with Gears 5 quick port according to DF. We'll have to see where RDNA 2 ends up in comparison to Turing/Amphere RT/ML performance.

XBX is capable of maximum 97 TOPS in INT4 calculations, only when all 52CU are used for deep learning tasks, which will obviously never happen, whereas 2080Ti dedicated Tensor Cores can do up to 522 TOPS, without tasking the Shader Processors, so that's "quite" a difference in DL/MD computation.

However, software still plays a huge role, as seen with first and latest 2.0 DLSS implementation, so it will all come doen to how efficient DirectML is. Someone posted a video some time ago with Forza running at over 4000FPS thanks to DirectML, it was an early implementation, with a lot of blur, but with such immense framerate headroom there is obviously a lot of space for optimization for the image quality.

As for RT, MS already showed path-traced Minecraft, so a typical ray-traced effects like shadows, reflections, global illumination etc. shouldn't be an issue, as even seen in that Gears 5 demo (GI).

Bottomline is, those consoles are made with 4K in mind, as oppose to PC's that aim for QHD at best, so it's hard to have a 1:1 comparison when even with exact same specs, API, engine, the same computing power is used it vastly less demanding scenario (resolution).

Last edited:

NeoGeoAES

Banned
The CPUs in the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X are models of AMD's (Advanced Micro Devices) third generation of Ryzen CPUs (the 3000 Series), which feature the company's Zen 2 microarchitecture; both CPUs have eight cores and can process two threads (i.e. programmed instructions) per core, which means that both CPUs can process sixteen threads simultaneously. The CPU of the PlayStation 5 runs at a variable frequency that is capped at 3.5 GHz; and the CPU of the Xbox Series X runs at a constant 3.6 GHz when its ability to process two threads per core is activated and runs at 3.8 GHz when said ability is deactivated.

Among the 3000 series of Ryzen CPUs, which is the series to which the CPUs in the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X belong, there are two models that have eight cores and can process two threads per core; hence, it's reasonable to assume that each of the CPUs in the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X is one of these models. The models are as follows:
Based on the maximum frequencies of the CPUs in the PlayStation5 and the Xbox Series X being 3.5 GHz and 3.8 GHz, respectively, we can conclude that each of them is a customized Ryzen 7 3700x. Further proof of this is the 3700x's lower thermal design point of 65 watts relative to the 3800x's higher thermal design point of 105 watts; Sony and Microsoft would want the model with the lower TDP for their consoles since it's nearly as fast as the model with the higher TDP and would minimize the likelihood of their consoles overheating.

Hence, PC gamers are currently able to possess...
  • The CPU that is in both consoles (i.e. Ryzen 7 3700x)
  • More powerful models of the Ryzen 3000 series (e.g. 3900x [12 cores, 2 threads per core], 3950x [16 cores, 2 threads per core], 3960x [24 cores, 48 threads], 3970x [32 cores, 2 threads per core], 3990x [64 cores, 2 threads per core])
Furthermore, the Ryzen 4000 series of CPUs, which will be the successor to the Ryzen 3000 series and will feature AMD's Zen 3 microarchitecture, is expected to be released in the Fall. So, before either console is released, PC gamers will be able to possess CPUs with even newer technology and better performance than those in the consoles and others among the generation to which they belong.

The GPUs in both the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X are also customized versions of technology designed by AMD. The GPU of each console features a customized version of AMD's RDNA 2.0 (Radeon DNA 2.0) microarchitecture, which will debut in the successor to AMD's currently-available RX 5000 series of graphics cards in late Summer or during the Fall, before the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X are expected to be released.

Hence, before the consoles are released, PC gamers will be able to possess GPUs that feature...

However, in the mean time, PC gamers can possess GPUs that outmatch those of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X in terms of raw rendering speed (i.e. rendering without Variable Rate Shading or Sampler Feedback Streaming) when rendering imagery that does not contain ray tracing: the RTX 2080 Super (which is more powrful than the PS5's GPU) or the RTX 2080 Ti (which is more powerful than the XSX's GPU).

As for RAM, both consoles will have 16GB of GDDR6 RAM; GDDR6 is currently available on the Nvidia GTX 1660 Super and will presumably be on the next generation of graphics cards from both AMD and Nvidia.

However, PC gamers will have to wait a while for SSDs that are as fast as the one in the PlayStation 5, which can process data at 5.5 GB/s; it's a custom SSD with 12 channels and that is compliant with PCIe 4.0 and NVMe. At the moment, the fastest SSDs available to PC gamers that are compliant with PCIe 4.0 and NVMe can process data at 3.5 GB/s. It'll probably be a year or so until SSDs as fast as the one in the PS5 become available. As for the SSD in the XSX, it processes data at 2.5 GB/s, which is a speed that currently available SSDs for PCs can attain.

So, how long do you think it will take PC to completely advance past the tech in the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X?

EDIT:

The point of this thread isn't to insult gaming consoles, because I like consoles (I have a PS4 Pro and an X1X). The point of this thread is simply to alleviate worry that the technology in the PS5 and the Xbox One X will lead gaming design in a direction that will leave PC behind, namely the super-fast SSDs in both machines (particularly that in the PS5) and the subsequent possibility of creating open-world games that are truly seamless (i.e. have no loading screens [whether hidden by forced traversal through corridors or unhidden], instant fast travel, no forced decrease in rate of movement in order to avoid outpacing the rate at which the world is rendered, etc). This is a worry expressed by the YouTuber Coreteks in this video.
Thats nothing new at all, nobody said otherwise

Keihart

Multiplats are not even going to target comparable PC to console specs in the first year, i expect first party games to be pretty ahead of the multiplats on the first years. More so than in this generation, and let's be honest, KZSF and Infamous SS looked bonkers compared to anything when they came out.

joe_zazen

From my point of view, you are partialy wrong.

Wrong side: The thing with consoles is, that you have lowest common denominator within base model of console (for xbox it will be more complicated because they want to suppor X1 for some time further).

But, in case of PS5 exclusives, you can rely on fast ssd access and you dont have to look back. The point is, on pc, you always need to look back and you have to decide, what hardware you will support.

You can say, lot of people have ssds. Ok, but are they at least 3GB/S NVMe ssds? Lot of people, if they have ssds have sata ssd. And you still need to not forget on people with GTX 1060 3GB and classic disc with 150 MB/s read potential.

Thats the point.

Of course you can buy 2080 Ti. But how many people have it to be paying audience for game development specially for 2080/ti ?

Of course you will have more fps / details. But in terms of game design, developers still need run their game on that inferior pc config, which is what most people have.

Good side: For multiplats, lowest common denominator will be probably X1, or that gtx 1060 with slow disk. It depends. Multiplats will probably not change so dramatically. Im really curious about them. I think lot of developers will try to make some PS5/XSX exclusive game because of their much higher lowest common denominator. I dont know, if someone makes a game for PC saying, that it needs NVMe 3GB/s disc and 1080/2060/Vega/5700 card minimally.

And thats on of differences between console and PC world. Consoles have relatively tight budget and are projected to last longer. So they had custom chips and very often also custom system architecture. Lot of people say, consoles are now only PCs. Thats also partialy true. They are custom made PCs with lot of optimalizations for gaming, which arent present on PCs. Thats the reason Pro and XOX were able to run 4K30/60 games with much more inferior hardware in opposite to PC.

yeah, MS’ new strategy is going to change what next gen means in terms of baseline.

First, they will 100% support x1 for one or two years post launch (it isnt clear yet), then there is lockhart, and finally older pcs. The days of new gen meaning big baseline tech jump are kind of over.

New baseline will be x1 until 2021 or 2022; then be 5 or 6 year old pcs and the $200 Lockhart. I get why Microsoft is happy about this, not so sure why gamers would be.

Still, we have Sony first party shit which may leverage things.

B_Boss

Personally I don’t (nor ever) cared if they’re outclassed lol. I mean I love and appreciate the technology surrounding one of my favorite hobbies but I stopped building PC’s long ago. I keep up with them at a distance but it’s a given that the game console hardware will always be outclassed at some point (if not at their inception at times lol) eventually, absolute given. My only question is the technical “how and why” they’re outclassed. So fascinating.

GymWolf

Like I said earlier, consoles already have ultra models and textures (proof is already in this thread). If getting ultra grass lod and water physics is that important to you, go ahead.
I for one am hard pressed to notice differences between the pro versions and the pc versions. People here praise fps, but rdr2 on ultra is still capping 40 ish on pc so I really don't get the appeal.

This is about choosing whether you want AAA console exclusives or the extra bells and whistles on the PC version of third party games and IMO this task is too easy. Last gen I had a PC for third party and a Ps4 pro for exclusives and tbh I can do without the bells and whistles.
Next gen, all games are pretty much guaranteed to have a 60 fps performance option on console so even the fps maniacs have no real argument for pc really.
dude, read my first post in this topic, i already said that pc games are not 10 times better than console in terms of graphics and sometimes they are even worst is some aspects because first party devs are wizards.

and rdr2 looks noticeably better than xone x version at 4k with a mixture of lower than low, low and medium details except for textures, you don't really need ultra setting to have better overall details than console versions.

and i don't have to choose nothing because i both play on console and pc.

Last edited:

Bankai

Who gives a shit? Consoles are always behind on cutting edge in no time. Hell, the PS4 and XboxOne were weak the minute they came out.
Consoles need to be affortable, obtainable and it is supposed to be about playing games - not about flaunting your teraflopdick around.

This is exactly the reason why I stopped being a PC gamer. You're always lagging behind spec-wise and it's tempting to keep on tweaking an fiddling.. whilst forgetting to play & ENJOY the fucking game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its pretty weird how the "master race" group has come to define PC gamers, I mean the reality is that PC is actually the most varied and accessible gaming platform there is. There have to be millions upon millions of older PC's still in use for gaming, specced way below whats considered to be the present acceptable minimum.

Nickolaidas

Its pretty weird how the "master race" group has come to define PC gamers, I mean the reality is that PC is actually the most varied and accessible gaming platform there is. There have to be millions upon millions of older PC's still in use for gaming, specced way below whats considered to be the present acceptable minimum.
It's literally like boasting the horsepower of a ferrari, while you actually own a getz.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PC Master Race is funny,

You see stats on Steam and:

Top 3 video cards used: GTX 1060, GTX 1050 Ti, GTX 1050

Top 2 output video resolution: 1920x1080 and 1366x768

The big advantage that PC had in this generation was CPU performance. That will be gone with Zen 2
And that cpu performance was unused. My old 2500k was only strained by cities skylines fast forward and .... Shadow of the Tomb raider village segments lol. I did ot 3700x though... and don't use it almost for nothing

Kenpachii

The thing that console users don't understand is that there is no lowest common dominator on PC. Your steam stats are useless.

People make games on PC for the sake of what they wanna push. If they want to target budget hardware they can but far from everybody does that. star citizen is a good example that already needs a SSD for example for a while now.

Some games target higher performance hardware, some games target lower performance hardware as result.

So that whole argument can go out of the window.

And then if you look at consoles, hows control running on PS4? how's ac odyssey running on the PS4? hows witcher 3 when it came out running on the PS4? and ac unity? if consoles would be the main focus why would those games not run at super stable performance rate?

Divinity had to be rebuilded for the PS4 to even run it at any decent rate as example, the same goes for billions the same goes for black desert online. Did devs target there specs? nope.

Other games like anno 1800 can't even run on consoles without massive sacrifices to the point they don't even bother. So where's the console focus here.

So the one way ideology of everything focuses around consoles is simple not the case.

Last edited:
Not sure high end gaming rig owners will care too much about steam stats while running multiplats at double the framerate come ps5, xbsx launch.

Alphagear

Forget PS5 and XSX, I doubt the average pc gamer has a rig up there with a Xbox one X and PS4 pro.

Next gen for console gamers 4K will be the standard with the XSX and PS5.

Not the case with PC gamers. So lets get rid of this perception that PC gamers are ALL 4K gaming currently or in the future.

diffusionx

Gold Member
PC Master Race is funny,

You see stats on Steam and:

Top 3 video cards used: GTX 1060, GTX 1050 Ti, GTX 1050

Top 2 output video resolution: 1920x1080 and 1366x768

The big advantage that PC had in this generation was CPU performance. That will be gone with Zen 2

I have a 1080TI and play games up to 4K (as long as I get 60fps), what do I care what the Steam stats say?

The whole point of the PC platform is that you play games the way you want to play them.

Last edited:
PC will of course still exist and appeal to those that are willing to pay a premium to have the best possible experience available to them.

Consoles set the baseline for the minimum developers need to realistically be aiming for.

So a new generation of consoles sets a new baseline and allows PC games to aim for even greater heights, while most people who don't care get a solid upgrade in their plug and play, hassle free experience.

Everyone wins.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Console baseline will be an SSD. PC baseline will be a rotational disk until a very distant point. Of course PC has more raw compute. But until 3rd parties leave behind PC users with traditional HDD they will be the bottleneck for next gen....

Alphagear

Lol. Lots of "nobody cares" but look at all these replies. Of course OP. This happens in every cycle. The PC platform will always have the superior tech. By the end of the PS5 and XSX lifecycles, the PC will be lightyears beyond what the consoles have.
Yes and most pc gamers will not have that superior tech you refer to.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yes and most pc gamers will not have that superior tech you refer to.
By the end of the lifecycles they absolutely will. I have a 1080 which was high end over two years ago. It's far superior to the xbox one x and ps4 pro. Besides all that it's not just about having the best tech. You have choice on pc. Not on console.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yep, who cares.
Those consoles will be standard for the next 3 to 4 years until a mid gen refresh comes out.
I'm not sure we see a mid gen refresh this time. 4k became a thing after these last consoles came out. I doubt we are going to see massive adoption of higher resolutions in the home for quite some time

Last edited:

Alphagear

By the end of the lifecycles they absolutely will. I have a 1080 which was high end two years ago. It's far superior to the xbox one x and ps4 pro.

Yes it is superior to ps4 pro and xbox one x but do most PC gamers have it or something superior?

The answer is no, the average PC gamer doesnt have superior rigs to Ps4 pro and Xbox one X.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yes it is superior to ps4 pro and xbox one x but do most PC gamers have it or something superior?

The answer is no, the average PC gamer doesnt have superior rigs to Ps4 pro and Xbox one X.
The ones who bother to post on forums do. I'm sure if we took a survey of everyone's rigs who calls themselves a pc gamer here it would be a bloodbath. It's okay man. There's plenty of advantages to console. Just as the pc has plenty.

Alphagear

The ones who bother to post on forums do. I'm sure if we took a survey of everyone's rigs who calls themselves a pc gamer here it would be a bloodbath. It's okay man. There's plenty of advantages to console. Just as the pc has plenty.
Check the Steam surveys. Will give a good idea how many pc gamers are actually playing on superior hardware to consoles.

For example 2.5% of steam users have a 1080. 1.5% use 1080ti 1% use 2080.

To put it into perspective around 25% of PC gamers have specs superior to current consoles. The rest are not.

That obviously will change when next gen consoles are released.

Dont get me wrong, PCs will always have superior hardware available but theres a price to pay for it and most pc gamers cant afford it.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Check the Steam surveys. Will give a good idea how many pc gamers are actually playing on superior hardware to consoles.

For example 2.5% of steam users have a 1080. 1.5% use 1080ti 1% use 2080.

To put it into perspective around 25% of PC gamers have specs superior to current consoles. The rest are not.

That obviously will change when next gen consoles are released.

Dont get me wrong, PCs will also have superior hardware available but theres a price to pay for it and most pc gamers cant afford it.
What do steam surveys have to do with the enthusiasts who posts on here? And besides all that all you did was highlight the level of choice you have on the pc platform.

Alphagear

What do steam surveys have to do with the enthusiasts who posts on here? And besides all that all you did was highlight the level of choice you have on the pc platform.
My argument was this perception that ALL gamers are playing on superior hardware.

That level of choice also comes with drawbacks.

When was the last time a game was fully optimised for PCs.

You need alot more and pay alot more to get the same results as consoles.

cormack12

Gold Member
Dont get me wrong, PCs will also have superior hardware available but theres a price to pay for it and most pc gamers cant afford it.

Exactly. PC will crush my PS4 copy of The witcher in terms of IQ and image enhancement etc. But it's still built to the lowest common denominator.

Next gen-game design will be built round the largest market - why would devs not cater for 75% of people who play games on lesser specs? Consoles have usually had a mid range GPU (at launch) equivalent. However it's now superseded the lowest PC threshold by virtue of the SSD. PC will still outgun consoles in raw power but as long as they still cater to HDD then we'll still have games constrained by it. XsX, PS5 and rigs with SSD wont need to see those jedi fallen order gap squeezes. But we still will because the game will be developed to run on all PCs which will need the time to stream.

Take those PCs out the equation and make SSD the baseline for all 3rd parties then you'd see significant gains.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Exactly. PC will crush my PS4 copy of The witcher in terms of IQ and image enhancement etc. But it's still built to the lowest common denominator.

Next gen-game design will be built round the largest market - why would devs not cater for 75% of people who play games on lesser specs? Consoles have usually had a mid range GPU (at launch) equivalent. However it's now superseded the lowest PC threshold by virtue of the SSD. PC will still outgun consoles in raw power but as long as they still cater to HDD then we'll still have games constrained by it. XsX, PS5 and rigs with SSD wont need to see those jedi fallen order gap squeezes. But we still will because the game will be developed to run on all PCs which will need the time to stream.

Take those PCs out the equation and make SSD the baseline for all 3rd parties then you'd see significant gains.
So true.

Reality is consoles are first priority for developers then PC. Was alot different 20 years ago.

Sethbacca

A small small percentage games on the super high end rigs, the vast majority of PC players are on 3-4 year old rigs that get periodically updated. Just check the steam hardware survey results The fact is that the new gen consoles will be at minimum on par or faster than the average PC for a bit. Yes the bleeding edge will always be faster, but if you need an article to know that then I'm not sure what you're doing on a site like Gaf.

Top Bottom