• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X Will Both Be Partially Outclassed by the Time That They're Released And Fully Outclassed One Year Later

Radical_3d

giphy.gif

According to PS warriors, this was never intended to be ported to PC so all of the assets are just PS4 assets (low res textures, shadow maps, small LOD modeling, limited anisotropic filtering, fake bounced lighting, etc..). Sorry no upgrades except resolution and FPS.

Shadow quality, texture resolution, LOD transitions, aniso filtering, etc are likely to improve. Though stuff like flight won't likely make it, and the geometry is likely to be the same.

Still in a side by side photo, while noticeable I doubt the difference will be mind blowing.

I mean were talking h/w that came 7 years later, a whole console generation. And priced at 1200$.

I mean look at god of war 3 vs god of war ps4. Or uncharted ps3 vs uncharted ps4. That's what 7 year difference in h/w gives you, in budget priced h/w gives you.

The difference between horizon on ps4 and horizon 2080ti likely won't be that big.

Gargus

Banned
Ps4 has been out classed by Xbox one x for a bit and out classed by pc since it launched. But I love my ps4 because it has a lot of great exclusive games.

Good hardware does not equal good games.

Shadow quality, texture resolution, LOD transitions, aniso filtering, etc are likely to improve. Though stuff like flight won't likely make it, and the geometry is likely to be the same.

Still in a side by side photo, while noticeable I doubt the difference will be mind blowing.

I mean were talking h/w that came 7 years later, a whole console generation. And priced at 1200$.

I mean look at god of war 3 vs god of war ps4. Or uncharted ps3 vs uncharted ps4. That's what 7 year difference in h/w gives you, in budget priced h/w gives you.

The difference between horizon on ps4 and horizon 2080ti likely won't be that big.
If the game literally stayed the same, but improved on framerate alone, that would be a world of a difference by itself. The game will definitely be upgraded for pc, and anyone doing a side by side comparison, could easily spot the pc version from the console version. Even a blind person could see the differences.

If the game literally stayed the same, but improved on framerate alone, that would be a world of a difference by itself. The game will definitely be upgraded for pc, and anyone doing a side by side comparison, could easily spot the pc version from the console version. Even a blind person could see the differences.
you can spot the difference in witcher 2 too. But that will never make witcher 2 into witcher 3 a generational leap.

GymWolf

no shit.
but exclusive games from console are gonna still be incredibles just because first party devs and optimization exist.
just watch tlou2\the order\tsushima\days gone\horizon\forza horizon 4 on ps4\xone and rdr2 on pc, there is a noticeable difference of course, but not a 5-10x difference (and a 2080ti is like what? 7-8 times better than xone\ps4 gpu?!)

also, you cant really bruteforce better animations or care for details or facial expression on pc if third party games lack these things to begin with, that's why some console games still have the edge on SOME aspects.

sure people can say that every exclusive game on console can run on far better on pc, it's true, doesn't change the fact that they don't come out on pc if not after 2-3 years (or never in some occasion, the order for example)

(and i play 95% of games on a powerfull pc)

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yes. Hold On. Can I borrow 100k to buy one? I wouldn’t call it outdated yet lol. Who’s buying those. 😂

I know someone who bought one like a year ago, think it was like $8k?

They get crazy expensive at the larger sizes.

GymWolf

This is untrue; the PC version of Red Dead Redemption 2 blows the console versions out of the water, into the sky, through the atmosphere, and out of orbit.

does it even exist a pc that can run rdr2 at 4k with ALL details on ultra at 60 ROCK SOLID? last time i checked even a i9-2080ti wasn't capable of doing this.

of course even medium details looks better than console version, i give you that.

Romulus

But this happens every generation, but what makes this different is the launch point is better in terms of specs compared to PCs. Xbox One wasn't that close to a gaming rig at launch. XSX is.

you can spot the difference in witcher 2 too. But that will never make witcher 2 into witcher 3 a generational leap.
I find that argument crazy, and here's why. You literally see nothing in this form, but console warriors in both sides making thread after thread, comment after comment, about which console is more powerful, or why this game looks better than that game. Even to the point where there are a multitude of videos and screen shots, and analysis of performance between the same game, on different consoles. If people are fighting about which is the best version of a game to get, then why is it a shock to you that PC gamers want the best possible experience, framerate, resolution, textures, effects, etc...?

I could have purchased a low end gpu, or even a console, and I could be content with that. But it's like eating McDonald's for every day of your life, and you become introduced to a high end burger. You simply can't undo eating that amazing burger. That's how I feel about gaming on PC. Once you experience it, it's near impossible to be content with a visual and performance downgrade.

Sure but look at the cost. These console will probably be cheaper than your gpu's. Value for buck and architecture shows the console as the better value.
If your only priority is gaming, sure. But to have a gaming pc, that is capable of being a high end entertainment center, or even a money maker, makes consoles a poor investment. It all depends on what you use it for and what goals you have in mind. I'm sure the majority of pc owners on here use their pc for more than just gaming. Pretty sure many use it to browse the web, or even work from their computer.

GymWolf

I said ultra quality dumbass. If you want to play it at high at variable fps between 55 - 60 enjoy lower quality than the consoles lol.
if i remember well, a lot of details in console version of rdr2 are below low details on pc and even 1440p on pc has a far better iq than xone x version at 4k (some people explain to me why but i don't remember)

console version is nowhere near pc high details.

not saying that pc version looks 10x better than console version, just adding some context.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I guess the Series X will be outclassed in every sense by a high end PC.

However PS5 isn't going for outright power, the SSD and the 12 channel interface along with audio and other features mean it is it's own thing. No load times or very very low (sub 1 second).....

PlayStation knows its space, much like Nintendo does. Competing on power in such a fast moving industry is a fools game.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This thread has some great fucking replies, I’ll say that. I haven’t mashed the “like” and especially the “lol” button this much in ages.

GymWolf

This doesn't refute my point that the game runs and looks significantly better on PC. As for how good I think that it is, I like it the most; it has everything that Arkham: City has...and the Batmobile. So, if someone likes Arkham City, then they should love Arkham: Knight.
i fucking hated the forced use of the batmobile tbh :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
to me it's better than origins, on par with city and under asylum as a game.

GymWolf

It's just like watching a film in HD and then watching it in UHD... same film, same game. As long as the performance is 30fps in a single player game, makes no difference.

Only games that need 60 are competitive games... graphical bells and whistles are just that....

My big problem is the amount of half truths and outright lies that PC gamers peddle to try and say that PC gaming was way beyond what was available elsewhere at the same price.... blah blah blah

So misleading
the only games that don't need 60 fps are puzzle game and stuff like sim city.
it's okay if you don't notice the difference but saying that 60 frame are useless in most genres its bullshit.
tlou remastered is not a competitive game and he play wonderfully at 60 frame instead of the uneven 30 frames on ps3, same with infamous 3 at 30 frame at launch against almost 60 frame on pro.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't feel they'll be outclassed at all. What do I mean by that? Of course we know there will be higher performing PC parts, but what these consoles can do now is officially at that point where anything is possible in our games. The power and capability is there for these two systems to not look dated well into when they are being replaced by next next gen systems. I know the bar will be raised on PC, but there is a shit ton of power in these consoles. Look at Gears 5 on current gen, Spider-Man, God of War. We are going to eat this gen boys!

Chankoras

Since pc gaming has been a thing, this always been the case, always has and always will be, good thing is this aren't productivity machines, just entertainment hardware and should be judge as such.

I don’t know, what should one expect when paying only $400-$500 on a console? The OP has an entire wall of “no shit” statements.
I guess it's cause there are so many people on this site thinking they are getting a 3700x and a 2080/TI, as well as telling pc players that they need to catch up, and how pc is now behind consoles, which is laughable at best. Imagine the faces of some of the Fanboys when they realize that GoW, TLOU, Horizon, Uncharted, etc, were ALL developed on a PC, and the games were them downgraded, and ported to consoles. But yet, here we are with people thinking pc is now outdated and obsolete. I'm going to sell my pc and get a console now.

Ps4 was way more outclassed on paper day one, and again 6 years later and one year before its death, it launched a game that won the technical achievement award. And probably it will win it again one last time before the grave closes.

The end.

This is silly. I build my own gaming PC's too, proud enthusiast, but even an old Intel 4790 OC'd is decent for gaming and unlikely to bottleneck anything other than a 2080ti or Titan. And even then only for very high FPS or Resolution. Consoles also have the significant advantage or being a specific target. We don't know the prices yet but I would be very surprised if Xbox or Sony can be beat 1 year later by a PC of the same price. Even if you factor in the cost of Live or PSPlus for a year. Id say based on the past, it will be 2-3 years before you can get the equivalent experience on a custom built pc. Sony and Microsoft have other ways to monetize their platforms and will likely sell the consoles at a loss.

Pallas

Gold Member
Hmm... isn’t that usually the case, since the start of this gen? I can only imagine how outclassed the launch Xbox One and PS4 were.

MrA

Banned
dang, and I assumed nvidia and amd were going to just throw up their hands and say, that's it we're done, no more advancing our graphics cards.
Of course, a high-end PC will outperform the consoles, they don't stop, and enthusiasts, please keep buying your ultra high-end video cards, I want that tech to eventually trickle down into my lower-price devices.

Ten_Fold

Doesn't matter, I think the ps4 was outclassed early into its life an the games still look good also the general public doesn't care or even know.

CyRuZ

Banned
Who forgot to close the media room door at the loony bin? Man kids today have too much time. Play where you want. Who cares about what system pushs more pixels(PC? No shit Sherlock).

Why do people act like we buy Playstations to have the best possible graphics?

its the the fucking(edgy) games. If it wasnt for Sony’s exclusives. I might not even be playing video games anymore. I wish sony focused on even more exclusives.

ToadMan

This has been true for every console ever released. In fact it’s been true for every closed system piece of popular tech ever, phones, pads, cars, watches, cameras and thousands of other tech heavy pieces of equipment.

The day they’re released they’re obsolescent .... Technology moves on...

What doesn’t seem to move on is people pointing this out like they’ve discovered some secret of the universe no one else thought of ....

Last edited:
Top Bottom