• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
godhandiscen said:
It is certainly not the worst. There are a few levels in the second half of Halo 2 which just fall apart.

Agreed. The first half (maybe a bit more) of halo 2 is fantastic and to me is the peak of the series.

The second half was certainly underwhelming by comparison.

KevinRo

Azar said:
I really enjoy watching some of the MLG matches, and some of the players are pretty incredible, but as a subgroup of the Halo populace I find them nigh-unbearable. Even the ones who aren't haughty have an annoyingly narrow view of what makes the game fun.

And then there's shit like that forum. :lol

Trust me when I say that 90% of users that religiously post on that forum have never been to an event. They are not MLG if that makes any sense.

If you go to an event, you'll see for yourself that the real competitors are all cool and love games. There is nothing like walking into a hotel and just LAN'ing the whole fucking weekend with complete strangers and putting faces with gamertags. Also, the apples to apples games are epic beyond imagination.

EazyB

Banned
KevinRo said:
Trust me when I say that 90% of users that religiously post on that forum have never been to an event. They are not MLG if that makes any sense.

If you go to an event, you'll see for yourself that the real competitors are all cool and love games. There is nothing like walking into a hotel and just LAN'ing the whole fucking weekend with complete strangers and putting faces with gamertags. Also, the apples to apples games are epic beyond imagination.
Part of that has to do with the fact that no one would act like those posters do on the MLG forums (and all internet forums for that matter) in real life. It's easy type "get raped" over the computer but saying it to someone's face will only result in "RL" ass kicking.

Thermite

KevinRo said:
Maybe he requested a ban? I dunno on the mlgforums he did - link

What an idiot. Dude posts that he's leaving until '09 on that forum seventeen days ago, and then comes over here to post, so that it actually looks like he left to the people over there? :lol WOW.

KevinRo

EazyB said:
Part of that has to do with the fact that no one would act like those posters do on the MLG forums (and all internet forums for that matter) in real life. It's easy type "get raped" over the computer but saying it to someone's face will only result in "RL" ass kicking.

Actually, trash talking at the event is pretty common. I mean... fights don't break out and stuff but you'll hear the occasional "RAAAPE!!!" or "OH MY GOD YOU SUCK!" that will start some heated words between teams. But MLG has Security and what-not to monitor anything if it gets out of control.

THE BEST trash talking happens at local events or small events like EGL(or w/e EGL is now). Man, I love it when the parents of kids are shocked by what they hear. They start to yell at the opposing team, then the opposing team curses at them, then they're shocked because they were cursed out by a 16 year old kid. lolz good times.

Keikoku

Banned
Hi guys, I'm new to the multiplayer and I have a question :

I like the DLC mode very much, because of the big team battle mode, and I'd like to know if it's counted as a ranked mode ? Thanks.

Keikoku said:
I like the DLC mode very much, because of the big team battle mode, and I'd like to know if it's counted as a ranked mode ? Thanks.
No, the DLC playlists are not ranked.

You'll know if a playlist is ranked by the number that appears (1-50) next to your name in the lobby.

Dirtbag

KevinRo said:
Actually, trash talking at the event is pretty common. I mean... fights don't break out and stuff but you'll hear the occasional "RAAAPE!!!" or "OH MY GOD YOU SUCK!" that will start some heated words between teams. But MLG has Security and what-not to monitor anything if it gets out of control.

THE BEST trash talking happens at local events or small events like EGL(or w/e EGL is now). Man, I love it when the parents of kids are shocked by what they hear. They start to yell at the opposing team, then the opposing team curses at them, then they're shocked because they were cursed out by a 16 year old kid. lolz good times.

that's so kewl

343 Guilty Spark: 9.5/10
-Couple of questions concerning the plot.
1. "Drop ship vector 933 to Pillar of Autumn..." why would that damaged pelican be trying to contact the Pillar of Autumn? Keyes and the crew abandoned it as soon as they crash landed on Halo.
2. The thing Captain Keyes had that guy used to unlock the door... how do Humans know so much about Forerunner tech already?
-I LOVED the atmosphere; it's so good.
-It has the best cutscene in the whole game.
-First time you encounter the Flood, and you even get creepy music to go along with the encounter.
-Like "The Silent Cartographer," "Assault on the Control Room," and "Halo," this level really makes you want to explore all there is too it, and it makes you want to explore all of Halo. God damn I want a Halo RPG.
-Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the only level in all three Halo games in which you see the what kind of "magazines" the needles for the needler come in.
-Discovered something (surprising, isn't it?): when you're finally out of the structure, after meeting the group of marines, and where you meet Guilty Spark for the first time, one of the marines yells out, "Hey! I recognized that one! That's Bob!" Something along those lines... Never heard that before.

The Library: 8/10
-Highly repetitive, yes, but constantly exhilarating.
-Flood, Flood, and more Flood. THERE'S TOO MANY OF THEM!!!!!
-Plot question: If protocol prevents Guilty Spark from retrieving the index, what were to happen if containment was lost and there were no Reclaimers around? Would the Flood just keep on spreading or would the Forerunners intervene somehow?
-Obviously the most controversial level in all of Combat Evolved. Some hate it with a passion, some enjoy it (like me).
-Many of what Guilty Spark says is of some interest. When you shoot at him: "Quit being human!"
-In all four floors of this level, there is a point where you can see the index chamber in its entirety and how many floors there are: it's something to behold.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Dax01 said:
343 Guilty Spark: 9.4/10
-Couple of questions concerning the plot.
1. "Drop ship vector 933 to Pillar of Autumn..." why would that damaged pelican be trying to contact the Pillar of Autumn? Keyes and the crew abandoned it as soon as they crash landed on Halo.
2. The thing Captain Keyes had that guy used to unlock the door... how do Humans know so much about Forerunner tech already?
1. I think it's "Dropship Victor 93," as in "our callsign is V93," and I could be wrong, but I think there's a bunch of static and you couldn't hear exactly what was said; so they were probably just identifying themselves as "Pelican V93 of the Pillar of Autumn."

2. Well, he says "the Covenant tried pretty hard to lock it down," or something like that. So it was Covenant tech they were disabling, not Forerunner.

Dax01 said:
-Plot question: If protocol prevents Guilty Spark from retrieving the index, what were to happen if containment was lost and there were no Reclaimers around? Would the Flood just keep on spreading or would the Forerunners intervene somehow?
The Monitor can deploy Sentinels at will, but if there are no Forerunners or Reclaimers around, then the Index can't be retrieved and the Array can't be activated. It would be insane to give an AI the ability to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy whenever he pleases.

Cocopjojo said:
2. Well, he says "the Covenant tried pretty hard to lock it down," or something like that. So it was Covenant tech they were disabling, not Forerunner.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

The Monitor can deploy Sentinels at will, but if there are no Forerunners or Reclaimers around, then the Index can't be retrieved and the Array can't be activated. It would be insane to give an AI the ability to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy whenever he pleases.
So the Flood will be just free to go rampant with nothing to stop them? It makes sense not to give an AI that kind of power, but surely there would be another way.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Dax01 said:
So the Flood will be just free to go rampant with nothing to stop them? It makes sense not to give an AI that kind of power, but surely there would be another way.
Well, they aren't supposed to break out.

Kibbles

Didn't AscendantJustice have a compilation of snippets from Weekly Updates and such on the new maps? Whatever happened to that? I've been trying to find more info on Orbital (aka Moonbase Alpha/Space Camp).

I was looking at a Weekly Update in April, I love how Luke says Purple Reign will be coming out in the "forseeable future", was a year later the plan all along? Face it, Halo Wars will probably have a month exclusive =(

So, I'm hoping to settle an argument between 2 friends(brothers) who recently played a 1v1 match on Guardian.

They were both @ 24/25 kills, ones good w/ a sniper, ones good w/ a shotgun, both are carrying battle rifles.

They Agreed no Sniper
They Agreed no Shotgun
They then agreed "only this gun, no other weapons/guns"
Player B throws a grenade across the map and almost sticks Player A
Player A responds saying "you sneaky bastard"
Player B then throws a second sticky nade and sticks player A ending the match.
Player A now argues that the grenades we're illegal so Player B cheated.
6/7 people present agreed Player B won fair and square.

So who do you think is right?

GhaleonEB

Kibbles said:
Didn't AscendantJustice have a compilation of snippets from Weekly Updates and such on the new maps? Whatever happened to that? I've been trying to find more info on Orbital (aka Moonbase Alpha/Space Camp).

I was looking at a Weekly Update in April, I love how Luke says Purple Reign will be coming out in the "forseeable future", was a year later the plan all along? Face it, Halo Wars will probably have a month exclusive =(
That's back when they were called the Halo 3 Data Archive (H3DA), IIRC. That content was taken offline and they were reborn in all its current vociferous glory.

Two plot holes in the first game still annoy me.

1) I'm still floored that stealing a Covenant Drop ship at the end of Truth and Reconciliation wasn't a major plot point in the game. They've just stolen an enemy ship. What to do with it? Can they get intel from the com channels? Use it for covert movement around the ring? But it never shows up again after that mission; it's just forgotten.

2) It's never explained where Keyes is going. Early in The Silent Cartographer, he says "we're still on route to the objective" - but doesn't say what it is. At the end of Assault on the Control Room, Cortana is talking about needing to stop Captain Keyes.

CORTANA: The Captain, we've got to stop the Captain!

MASTER CHIEF: Keyes? What do we-

CORTANA: The weapons cache he's looking for, it's not really-we can't let him get inside!​
It's implied around the edges, but I wish they had explained what it was Keyes thought he was searching for, why, and how they determined to go there. I was so confused my first time through. Wait where's he going? Then later, he went to weapons cache? Wha?

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

Compartmentalization.

coolclimate said:
So, I'm hoping to settle an argument between 2 friends(brothers) who recently played a 1v1 match on Guardian.

They were both @ 24/25 kills, ones good w/ a sniper, ones good w/ a shotgun, both are carrying battle rifles.

They Agreed no Sniper
They Agreed no Shotgun
They then agreed "only this gun, no other weapons/guns"
Player B throws a grenade across the map and almost sticks Player A
Player A responds saying "you sneaky bastard"
Player B then throws a second sticky nade and sticks player A ending the match.
Player A now argues that the grenades we're illegal so Player B cheated.
6/7 people present agreed Player B won fair and square.

So who do you think is right?

Its gotta be settled by a fist fight. Thats how we do it over here at least. To the death too.

GhaleonEB said:
Two plot holes in the first game still annoy me.

1) I'm still floored that stealing a Covenant Drop ship at the end of Truth and Reconciliation wasn't a major plot point in the game. They've just stolen an enemy ship. What to do with it? Can they get intel from the com channels? Use it for covert movement around the ring? But it never shows up again after that mission; it's just forgotten.

2) It's never explained where Keyes is going. Early in The Silent Cartographer, he says "we're still on route to the objective" - but doesn't say what it is. At the end of Assault on the Control Room, Cortana is talking about needing to stop Captain Keyes.

CORTANA: The weapons cache he's looking for, it's not really-we can't let him get inside!​
It's implied around the edges, but I wish they had explained what it was Keyes thought he was searching for, why, and how they determined to go there. I was so confused my first time through. Wait where's he going? Then later, he went to weapons cache? Wha?

I still don't understand how Cortana is able to carry the Index. Did she digitize it or something?

EazyB

Banned
Dax01 said:
I still don't understand how Cortana is able to carry the Index. Did she digitize it or something?
And why do plasma grenades stick to people and vehicles but not walls and elephants?

This kind of shit keeps me up at night.

KevinRo

EazyB said:
And why do plasma grenades stick to people and vehicles but not walls and elephants?

This kind of shit keeps me up at night.

I'd like to imagine that the plasma can detect heat. It doesn't stick to the elephant cuz it runs on hamster power dumby.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Dax01 said:

I have to go play it again, but didn't Chief actually put the index inside the console, and that was when Cortana "took" the codes that the index contained?

Metroidvania said:
I have to go play it again, but didn't Chief actually put the index inside the console, and that was when Cortana "took" the codes that the index contained?
Yeah, but then she "carries" it while inside Chief's suit.

EazyB

Banned
Why do I get hurt if someone shoots the tail end of the warthog and I died without the hog even blowing up? Not realitistic

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Dax01 said:
Yeah, but then she "carries" it while inside Chief's suit.

She carries the "codes", as vizualized by a holographic representation, I think.

The index itself was probably stuck inside the console as a semi-useless piece of metal.

Again, I have to go replay it, tho.

Why do I get hurt if someone shoots the tail end of the warthog and I died without the hog even blowing up?

Your shields as a driver are connected to the warthog?

GhaleonEB said:
That's back when they were called the Halo 3 Data Archive (H3DA), IIRC. That content was taken offline and they were reborn in all its current vociferous glory.
I actually think he's referring to something we had up for a while at AJ, but took down. Cocop may still have the link to it, but I'm not sure it's been updated in a while. A good few months ago, there was a decision to focus only on certain types of articles, so we stopped updating it.

Those two plot holes and others made me change some of the elements in the script we released on AJ. It works all right in a game, because there are other things of greater significance going on for the player, but in a film, it falls apart. Nevertheless, the game itself remains my favorite Halo experience in the trilogy. Not sure if its simply nostalgia or the vastly open gameplay which is fostered by experiences like being able to fly Banshees hundreds of meters into the air, driving a Warthog completely around an island, having a massive and distinctively different series of environments to explore or just the purity of the gameplay -- but it's definitely my favorite of the three.

Kibbles

Ah, I see.

That guy who supposedly played the maps early is getting pretty lucky.
Orbital: I played 8v8 on this map, and it was WAY too many people. But it was a lot of corridor shooting. I never got a chance to explore this map (this was the only game I played on this map). It was obvious it was some sort of orbiting platform around earth - most likely a MAC cannon. There were quite a few computer screens on top of every entryway. Very neat.
Everything here seems obvious, and I'm not sure what he means by entryway, but in the shot we have, there are computer screens. *rubs chin*

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
GhaleonEB said:

I'm no expert on these things, but I thought that the Halo itself was the weapon Keyes wanted to find and activate (like he had overheard and misinterpreted some Covenant communications), hence Cortana's agitation.

GhaleonEB

Mr Vociferous said:
Those two plot holes and others made me change some of the elements in the script we released on AJ. It works all right in a game, because there are other things of greater significance going on for the player, but in a film, it falls apart. Nevertheless, the game itself remains my favorite Halo experience in the trilogy. Not sure if its simply nostalgia or the vastly open gameplay which is fostered by experiences like being able to fly Banshees hundreds of meters into the air, driving a Warthog completely around an island, having a massive and distinctively different series of environments to explore or just the purity of the gameplay -- but it's definitely my favorite of the three.
Must....not.....respond..... :p

That's one of the great things about these games. They provide such an array of experiences, and the combat sandbox so deep, that we can find very different things to appreciate about them. Some players love SWAT, while I romp in BTB. Same game, utterly different stuff. By same token, the trilogy's respective campaigns improved with each release for me. All have their unique flaws, and none exactly replicates the experiences of the others.

I can see why the first one would be #1 when you want freedom to roam the levels, while the later two games put up many (often arbitrary) invisible barriers. I never explored much in the games, so that element never registered much difference between the games for me.

Ramirez

KevinRo said:
Blackout sucks because bungie nubbed the shit up by making the jumps accessible so blind people can pull them off. Oh, I almost forgot about the spawns, I can't forget to mention who (m) was responsible for that clearly took the day off.

The ability to throw amazing nades coupled alongside the amazing sniping spots(elbow to BR ramp, snipe1 to BR1, snipe2 to anywhere on the map, back br to snipe2/3) on lockout changed its position on the map replayability index from good to amazing.
[/URL]

Agreed, the nade problem is just one on a laundry list of reasons Blackout is bad compared to the original.

Speaking of originals, is there still any chance of those low budget map ports Frankie once mentioned? I assume that would be very little work considering the money it would probably generate.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Ramirez said:
Agreed, the nade problem is just one on a laundry list of reasons Blackout is bad compared to the original.

Speaking of originals, is there still any chance of those low budget map ports Frankie once mentioned? I assume that would be very little work considering the money it would probably generate.

I doubt the general populous would appreciate that enough to spend the money on it.

EazyB

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
I doubt the general populous would appreciate that enough to spend the money on it.
While I'd personally find more value in completely new maps, I think those who played Halo 2 would love to see remakes of their favorite maps more than new maps that they have no fond memories of or no knowledge of how good the map actually is.

Right now I'm just hoping we see new maps of any form or fashion: remakes, originals, 3rd party.

GhaleonEB said:
Must....not.....respond..... :p

That's one of the great things about these games. They provide such an array of experiences, and the combat sandbox so deep, that we can find very different things to appreciate about them. Some players love SWAT, while I romp in BTB. Same game, utterly different stuff. By same token, the trilogy's respective campaigns improved with each release for me. All have their unique flaws, and none exactly replicates the experiences of the others.

I can see why the first one would be #1 when you want freedom to roam the levels, while the later two games put up many (often arbitrary) invisible barriers. I never explored much in the games, so that element never registered much difference between the games for me.

The campaign of Halo CE is by far the superior in my book. AotCR is my favorite mission of any game that I've ever played. It has the perfect balance between huge outdoor vehicle encounters and close quarters combat. I enjoyed the bridges, as each one was different. One would have you sneaking around, trying to smack all the sleeping grunts, while another would have you fight for every inch and then right when you reach the end a Golden Elite with a sword appears through a door. That is the most memorable part of any game that I've ever played.
And the outdoor encounters allow for a host of choices. There are multiple paths to take, and then you have the choice between the Ghost, Warthog, Scorpion (finally get to drive this thing), Banshee (with a few well placed grenades), or to just trek it out on foot. I mean, the variaty in that one level is amazing.

Halo CE is the first game that really made me wow. I mean, Mario 64 was great, but this Halo game was just phenominal. The second campaign was hard to follow IMO, but the third was pretty sweet.

Kibbles

Waterworks is so underrated. I loved it when you would be walking/driving around in battle and one of those stones hanging from above would drop down (after someone in a banshee, or heavy shooting from below shoots them down, which is also fun :lol). Great stuff. Headlong is amazing too. Hell, almost everything was. I'd totally buy the pack if it ever existed.

I think Bungie said in an update not too long ago that Halo 3: Recon and the Mythic Map Pack would mark the end of new Halo 3 content though.

A Penguin

Kibbles said:
Waterworks is so underrated. I loved it when you would be walking/driving around in battle and one of those stones hanging from above would drop down (after someone in a banshee, or heavy shooting from below shoots them down, which is also fun :lol). Great stuff. Headlong is amazing too. Hell, almost everything was. I'd totally buy the pack if it ever existed.

I think Bungie said in an update not too long ago that Halo 3: Recon and the Mythic Map Pack would mark the end of new Halo 3 content though.
Although we haven't seen anything of it, here's to hoping that Sandbox turns out to be so customizably awesome that we don't need new content.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Kibbles said:

Like voc said, we decided to go in a different direction with the Blog; but the page you're talking about still physically exists, though it isn't linked from anywhere and will no longer be updated.

Moonbase Alpha / Spacecamp

Ramirez

Kibbles said:

I don't think it's entirely out of the question that some 3rd parties might port some older maps or do completely new ones, sorta like how Desolation & Tombstone worked at the end of Halo 2...

Kibbles

"The Wall" = Sandbox =Blue Grid. (Bungie shot down bots and "Campaign objects in Forge" from that video, but I don't recall them ever explaining the blue grid)

Thanks cocopjojo =) Apparently Orbital will be pretty... very pretty.

While it’s not the prettiest map in all of Halo history (seriously, the upcoming map nicknamed Spacecamp very well might be, IMHO), The Pit is without a doubt one of my personal favorites…

I found this to be interesting as well. Maybe you can fall into Space?
As we mention in the Q&A following this, “Moonbase Alpha” now has large opening doors and more unusually, a kind of unlockable jump over a deadly chasm.

FourDoor

Off topic aside from the fact that it's taken away from my Halo time this weekend...

So somebody's been stealing my mail and packages for the past couple of weeks apparently. So when I found out last weekend I bought a security camera and pointed it at my porch and left bait for the thief tot ake. The result is the video below.

We're currently trying to identify this lady and I already filed the reports with the PD and USPS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMTVXcvGoo

I want to make this chick internet famous for the thief that she is so pass this around to any other website/blog/forum that you guys also frequent. It's already on DIGG so if you could help DIGG it up there, I'd appreciate it to.

http://digg.com/security/Mail_thief_caught_on_security_cam_It_s_the_spirit_of_taking

/threadjack and back to Halo...

Kibbles

Have Bungie said they're releasing a new map pack? I'd love some new maps. I need to play something on my 360, because GoW2 is broken.

Yes, the Mythic Map Pack, as urk stated will contain the maps: Assembly, Orbital, and Sandbox and will release with the Halo Wars LE on March 3rd if you want to get it early. Otherwise, it'll release later on the Marketplace. Halo 3: ODST, the expansion which will release in disc format in Fall 2009, will come with the 3 remaining maps: Citadel, Heretic, and Longshore. These maps are exclusive to Halo 3: ODST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom