• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

jts

...hate me...
I don't where to go to so I'll just post it here. Any help is appreciated.

I think the game just glitched out on me badly. On Jeff's second encounter (he's a random character) we get a call from him to meet him at a garage.

So I went there by taxi and I don't know, I must have passed near the yellow spot so he went to the garage alone or something. I think that spot moved as I was getting out of the cab.

The problem now is, I can't get to him. The spot is there and there is a garage near the gas station right next to the yellow spot but it doesn't open up!

And since this is a mission I'm in the middle of, I can't even go and save the game. I've been doing a few stunt jumps and don't wanna lose them.

Maybe I'm just missing something, I dunno. Any tips?

If nothing else, at least is there something I can do just to fail at the mission?

Thank you.

edit: nvm, just killed myself :p realised what the problem was, too.

Tendo

So I'm trying to play this on steam but I can't seem to access the graphic options? Any idea how to override this? i'm stuck in 848xsome garbage.

Shurs

From the OP:

Duck Amuck said:
- You can trick police to get rid of wanted level. Since there's no Pay and Spray you must use other ways to get rid of wanted level: changing your clothes (especially if they are bloody); switching cars to confuse the police; running into someone's house, out the back, and on to their fire escape, among other things.

- Depending on how well and what you do during missions, you can form relationships with your bosses and clients. If you do good, kill your targets discreetly, you will have a good relationship. If you do things in plain sight, without using your brains, your boss will most likely hate you and break all contact. It sounds like a great evolution on GTA2's fun, but not exactly deep, respect system. Also, there are points in the game where you have the choice to kill characters. The OXM UK reviewer said he pined over one his decisions longer than he did any moment revolving a Little Sister in Bioshock.

- People will react to your weapons. So if you have an rpg out, they will obviously go batshit, which will cause attention to you. Pulling out a pistol will cause pedestrians to call the police.

- The days where you carry millions of cash on you are over. You can now use atms or go to the bank to deposit or withdraw funds.

- You now have a cell phone, which allows Niko to call the police, 911, the fire department, or any number in the game. pedestrians will even call you on accident. When you fail a mission you can simply just choose the option to retry it on your cell right when you fail. No backtracking, no hassle.

Is any of the bolded text true?

I think you can confuse the police by switching cars -- if you switch cars while you're out of eyesight of any cops, they seem to need to be much closer to your vehicle before they'll spot you again. I guess that doesn't directly get rid of wanted level, but it helps you evade the police a little better.

Juice

Hey, I'm almost done with the main game before getting into L&D, but the final missions aren't triggering. I have absolutely no (non-assassin) missions left, but
Peregino
hasn't called me to meet him at Honkers, so I can't finish the game.

What I do?

Man, I popped this in for about twenty minutes just to drive around after finishing TLAD and it really makes you appreciate this game more.

And it feels so different. Man, seriously, I love this fucking game. Just driving around in a stolen Mustang. Kick ass.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Juice said:
Hey, I'm almost done with the main game before getting into L&D, but the final missions aren't triggering. I have absolutely no (non-assassin) missions left, but
Peregino
hasn't called me to meet him at Honkers, so I can't finish the game.

What I do?

Look carefully on the map there must be something you have not done.

The icons are sometimes hard to see, also look at your game stats and see what % missions you have done on each character

*shrugs*

Mamesj

Banned
Just beat the game. My ending choice:
Deal+ Revenge side

I went into the game just wanting to beat a GTA game. Like how my gamer life would have a hole in it had I not beaten the original SMB a million times. I had my preconceptions, as I've started and put 15+ hours into every GTA, but have not finished any. Usually I hit up a few story missions, but spent the rest doing crazy shit. Other times I've gotten stuck on missions that seemed impossible or really poorly done. My impression of the series was tepid, though I've always found them well written and funny.

Then there's the hype, of which there's an unending amount of. All I'll say is that the game is flawed in some ways, but not in that "this game is unpolished" way. Considering the scope of its execution, it may be one of the more polished games ever, relatively speaking.

The culture of Liberty City is what blew me away and is why I think the game (and series) will always be remembered. It's a nigh-complete cultural commentary on the Bush years, all taking place in NYC. Anyone I've showed the game too will be like "oh Grand Theft Auto, I heard it's really really (violent, bloody, vulgar, gory etc.) and that you can (rape women, fly airplanes into buildings, kill children, etc.)" After about 10 minutes, they can see the game is not that awful, that it's much more than a violent sensory fix, and they are usually laughing their ass off. Had this happen with a couple different friends and relatives.

They're usually intrigued by Niko after seeing a few cutscenes. I'm also in love with the cutscenes, but as a whole, I didn't feel like it all flowed together so well. The relief between game and movie is sharp and obvious. But the cutscenes are done well enough that they kept me playing. The mission structure is repetitive, but it's worth it to hear dialogue, see the cinematics at work, and see what new insane character comes up.

This post was originally going to end shortly after that first sentence, but I feel like there's a shitload to say about the experience. I'm glad the game got the recognition it deserved, as I loved it, and feel like its one of the more incredible uses of the medium out there. The gaf backlash is somewhat understandable though, as the gameplay is pretty much solid at best (most of the game) and occasionally really frustrating (having to restart missions while you get used to a new vehicle like helicopters, motorcycles, or boats.) The actual impact of the game isn't in its gameplay though--you'll be hard pressed to find a more complete and entertaining cultural commentary on the beginning of the 21st century anywhere.

This game took up all my time for the past 2 weeks, so I'm taking a break before getting on with Lost and the Damned! :D

b.e.r.g

LTTP but how did this game actually turn out for the PC? I heard all sort of complains regarding bad framrates and nasty glitches, but I also heard words about Rockstart working on a patch to address the issues, but then it got all quiet. What happen?

Bugs and issues aside, is it otherwise a good port? GTA:SA is a pain in the ass to play on PCs mostly cause of the horrible controls. Space is run, shift is jump, WASD is move and LMB is attack, but damn return and numbpad 8 and 2 is special moves! Good luck with that!

It has gamepad support, but with 47 actions to bind it's kinda useless. Does GTA4 have good gamepad support? Even if it's not an Xbox controller?

Chris R

Just finished the game today. Not very hard, compared to how impossible some of the GTA:SA missions were. Story was decent, though I'd love to have more "game changing" decisions made earlier in the game to allow for a better branching story and more reason to do entire replays (instead of just reverting to an older save and doing the last X missions).

Speaking of game changing decisions... (SPOILERS DUH)
So Kate died, and basically as soon as the credits rolled and I got the sub 30 hour trophy, Kate calls and asks to go out on a date :lol I go and everything happens like normal, and after the date Packie calls and says how bad he feels about what happened to Kate :lol

Mogg0

Banned
Very LTTP, but I need to get this off my fingertips. For the record, I'm one or two missions from the end of the game. I already
killed the Russian dude Niko had shipped into the country.

HOLY SHIT THE CONTROLS IN THIS GAME ARE RUBBISH.

The amount of times I've died because of the controls is fucking ridiculous. Tapping the RB to go into cover mode and the game flings me against the opposite wall right in the fireline of gun-toting baddies, resulting in my immediate death. This wouldn't be so frustrating if you dinnt have to redo the travel portion of the mission every time. ARGH.

But basically, the unresponsive, twitchy and completely imprecise controls just infuriate me. It really does damage my perception of the game. It's vastly overrated in some areas and justifiably loved for other sections, but the overall sense I get from the game is 'Maybe GTA5 will do this better'.

Dennis

Banned
GTA IV with 2x2 Supersampling Anti-Aliasing (4xSSAA) - playable at about 25 fps.
This is accomplished by rendering the image at 3360x2100 resolution but displaying it at 1680x1050.
I also tried 3x3 Supersampling (9xSSAA) but is was not playable (below 10 fps).

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So in order to go from TLAD to GTA IV's main story, you have to switch saves, right? Everytime I load up GTA IV, it takes me straight into TLAD.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Pretty screenshots. I'm still really impressed with the graphics.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
who ever wrote the ending is a dick

still loved the game though. the ingame tv is a good substitute for my lack of real cable.

renzengeki

Neo Member
is there a way that my character can run without holding X? i hate it especially when ur in a gunfight....

or is there a way that you can remove the auto target while ur aiming?

acevans2

renzengeki said:
is there a way that my character can run without holding X? i hate it especially when ur in a gunfight....

or is there a way that you can remove the auto target while ur aiming?
You don't auto-aim if you hold the aiming button down only slightly.

So I saw a cheats and tricks edition of Playstation Magazine (Fall Edition) in store. It covered most of the current PS3 exclusive titles and some multiplatform titles. In Grand Theft Auto 4 section, they covered "Lost and the Damned" and all the cellphone cheats.

What gives? An error or the fact that Rockstar is going to announce it for PS3 soon?

I can't seem to change settings in the multiplayer section.

I want to be able to change weapons, turn on cops, etc...

Can someone put up some quick directions?

Even when I create the room, others can change the settings but not me for some reason.

LLaMa-Tech said:
I can't seem to change settings in the multiplayer section.

I want to be able to change weapons, turn on cops, etc...

Can someone put up some quick directions?

Even when I create the room, others can change the settings but not me for some reason.

No help GAF?

kitch9

Banned
Hmmmm, the new PC patch a couple of days ago has introduced TLATD achievements on the PC version....

Does that mean its been confirmed or wat?

Never beat the 360 version (due to constant console death) so I went ahead and got the PS3 version last night. Wow, I forgot how much fun this game is, between this and Dragon Age Origins I don't know what I'm going to do come tuesday along with March!

PS3 version runs great too, surprisingly better than I remembered the 360 to run.

$200

Banned
Just started playing GTA4 for the first time and I'm experiencing some graphical issues.

It's hard to explain without pictures but basically the graphics on the "main game" is a bit tuned out; the pixels seem to be flashing constantly. The menu and subtitles however look just fine.

I'm playing the PS3 version on a plasma with component cables by the way. Does anyone here know anything about this :( ?

Takuan

I beat the game last weekend and was left wanting. San Andreas has a better story and stronger characters. This game was just full of douchebags I wanted to kill. The final confrontation was a joke
(Pegorino? Seriously?)
, and the conclusion was pretty disappointing. It felt like a bunch of build-up towards nothing.

What happened to the Russian from Nico's past? The guy who was part of the ship that went down, and was tied to Dimitri? I don't remember popping him.

shwimpy

I finally finished the game after owning it since launch. Just wanted to get it over with because I'm actually looking forward to the episodes coming out at the end of month.

Takuan said:
I beat the game last weekend and was left wanting. San Andreas has a better story and stronger characters. This game was just full of douchebags I wanted to kill. The final confrontation was a joke
(Pegorino? Seriously?)
, and the conclusion was pretty disappointing. It felt like a bunch of build-up towards nothing.

My thoughts pretty much echo yours.

What happened to the Russian from Nico's past? The guy who was part of the ship that went down, and was tied to Dimitri? I don't remember popping him.

Are you talking about the traitor? If so, you were given an option to kill him or let him go. I let him go and nothing happened afterwards.

rc213

Playing some multi with some strangers online is still great. Just messing around in the helicopter at full capacity had my tail rip off and so I chose to climb as high as possible so everyone could bail but it was spinning all wobbly so when everyone jumped out we immediately got killed by the blade.

Can't believe the in game friends list was never fixed. Can't even join or invite some people new to my friends list who want to mess around and try for some mp trophies.

Makes me nervous for Liberty City Stories, I actually had someone from rockstar answer my email but the said it would never be fixed in GTA IV because it was a limitation of how the game was coded.

thechemist

FleckSplat said:
So I just booted up and there's a new patch (PS3). Any thoughts?

I cannot confirm but this is what i just found.
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=443722&st=0&#entry1059837347

''Well they finally added preferences so you can chose disallow and stuff. I wonder if they fixed the 50 friend list limit.

Things I noticed
-Preferences
-Loads faster if you are finding a game.
-I think it loads faster when you start the game also but that just might be me thinking its better...lol
-Also the loading logo is different
-Friends List fixed ''

''they fixed the BDB bug and the 50 friends glitch and added TLAD and TBOGT tros!!!''

Goldrusher

DennisK4 really killed this thread by posting over 15MB of screenshots.
130 pages and we've been stuck on the last one for a year now. :lol

thechemist said:

''Well they finally added preferences so you can chose disallow and stuff. I wonder if they fixed the 50 friend list limit.

Things I noticed
-Preferences
-I think it loads faster when you start the game also but that just might be me thinking its better...lol
-Friends List fixed ''

''they fixed the BDB bug and the 50 friends glitch and added TLAD and TBOGT tros!!!''

Thanks, I don't play multiplayer. :lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
After playing this on 360, I'm trying it on PS3...

Something looks off about the way it looks on PS3, like it's soft or a little more lo-res. I guess trying TLAD on PS3 will show if they improved the graphics issues there.

rc213

thechemist said:

Things I noticed
-Preferences
-Friends List fixed ''

What is this disallow stuff?

Messed up that they decided to fix the friends list bug after I went through hell to get a buddy to show up in game. :lol

Top Bottom