• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

I really wish the newest patch didn't break the mods. The ENB shots are absolutely gorgeous but they don't work for EFLC. Hopefully the modding community will come and save the day.

Mik2121

I just bought the Liberty City Episodes for PS3. Is it just me or it seems to run smoother than GTAIV itself?.

Anyway, I thought I wouldn't like the Lost and Damned pack because of all the fags (j/k, it's a south park joke..), but I'm enjoying it a lot. Only thing I don't like is that the heavy metal radio is on every time you take one of the members bikes, so I have to change it all the time :lol :lol

eosos

Banned
So I just got the game on steam and I'm trying to run the ENB series mod. Is this impossible since I got it on steam? Thanks for the help!

Anksta

eosos said:
So I just got the game on steam and I'm trying to run the ENB series mod. Is this impossible since I got it on steam? Thanks for the help!

I've been able to run it without issues on my install.

Edit: Sorry that was on Episodes From Liberty City. But I'm sure it will be fine on GTA IV too!

JoeBoy101

I can confirm that the ENB mod for EFLC (can't provide a link right this second) DOES work with the updated patch for GTA IV. In fact, even with ENB on, it runs much smoother than the plain vanilla pre-patch. I can't tell if its in a limited sense, and there is discussion about the shadows not work through ENB, but the game's updated shadows do still work fine.

You can find the mod on the GTA forums.

Anksta said:
I've been able to run it without issues on my install.

Edit: Sorry that was on Episodes From Liberty City. But I'm sure it will be fine on GTA IV too!

JoeBoy101 said:
I can confirm that the ENB mod for EFLC (can't provide a link right this second) DOES work with the updated patch for GTA IV. In fact, even with ENB on, it runs much smoother than the plain vanilla pre-patch. I can't tell if its in a limited sense, and there is discussion about the shadows not work through ENB, but the game's updated shadows do still work fine.

All the features of ENB? I've heard that only SSAA works. Everything else is borked.

Kayhan

JoeBoy101 said:

Eh? Are you sure the mod is enabled and did you apply Supersampling AA?

Because there is no way in hell that ENB with supersampling AA is smoother than vanilla.

Kayhan said:

Because there is no way in hell that ENB with supersampling AA is smoother than vanilla.

What's the average performance hit with the ENB mod? Greater or less than 50%?

JoeBoy101

Kayhan said:

No because the AA they used looked like ass to me. Blurred up everything that I preferred to go without AA so I could see the textures clearly. I know the mod is at least partially enabled because I can 'Alt+F12' between modes to remove the shitty vanilla filter, improve the bloom, and improve on reflections.

Again, I'm using the ENB for EFLC so I'm not sure if some of the functionality is different, and I know the shadows are wonky so I stick with the game's vanilla post-patch shadows.

Gully State said:
What's the average performance hit with the ENB mod? Greater or less than 50%?

All depends on how you configure it. You can go small and have a minor hit with some decent gains or go large and take a sizable hit. There is a sweet spot, for sure, but I don't know the configs well enough for tweaking, so I'm relying on pre-done ones right now.

JoeBoy101 said:
No because the AA they used looked like ass to me. Blurred up everything that I preferred to go without AA so I could see the textures clearly. I know the mod is at least partially enabled because I can 'Alt+F12' between modes to remove the shitty vanilla filter, improve the bloom, and improve on reflections.

Again, I'm using the ENB for EFLC so I'm not sure if some of the functionality is different, and I know the shadows are wonky so I stick with the game's vanilla post-patch shadows.

All depends on how you configure it. You can go small and have a minor hit with some decent gains or go large and take a sizable hit. There is a sweet spot, for sure, but I don't know the configs well enough for tweaking, so I'm relying on pre-done ones right now.

If it even partially works for EFLC, that's really good news. When I get home from work, I'll give it a try. Also, which copy of EFLC do you have? Apparently the exe for the GFWL/Retail and Steam are different.

JoeBoy101

Gully State said:
If it even partially works for EFLC, that's really good news. When I get home from work, I'll give it a try. Also, which copy of EFLC do you have? Apparently the exe for the GFWL/Retail and Steam are different.

I have Steam's version of GTA IV. I don't own EFLC. :D

Someone suggested using ENB for EFLC for the newly patched GTA IV and Steam auto-updates so I had no choice but to try it. Apparently the guy who modded ENB to work with it released a shader patch for the shadows, but I'll be damned if I can get the thing to work.

JoeBoy101 said:

Someone suggested using ENB for EFLC for the newly patched GTA IV and Steam auto-updates so I had no choice but to try it. Apparently the guy who modded ENB to work with it released a shader patch for the shadows, but I'll be damned if I can get the thing to work.

Even better...I've got the steam version of GTAIV as well..

JoeBoy101 said:

Can you provide links or direct me to the right place to get ENB going? It'd be much appreciated as the GTAforums are really cumbersome to navigate through, especially when you don't know the lexicon.

Kayhan

Oh, I see now. ENB dosen't really work work with EFLC. It is an older version of the mod that has been modified to work to some extent.

You are not going to get the great graphical update that ENB brings without taking a big prformance hit. The SSAA, SSAO, reflections etc. are the whole point of ENB.

Good news that the First Person mod can be made to work with EFLC though.

rvy

Banned
Finished it, I think?
Killed Darko in "That Special Someone".
Love the game, really want to try and get 100% completion.

Edit, guess not. :lol

I bought the episodes from GFWL when they came out. I've managed to play through Lost and Damned without any problem, but now when I download Gay Tony it looks like I get about 2/3rds downloaded and it says the entire thing is there, but when I try and play it crashes to desktop after the first cutscene. Fucking GFWL, should have just got them from Steam. I've tried deleting and redownloading but it does the same thing. Anyone know what's going on?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
rvy said:
Finished it, I think?
Killed Darko in "That Special Someone".
Love the game, really want to try and get 100% completion.

Edit, guess not. :lol

I finished GTAIV this morning and the entire last hour was like "okay, *now* I've killed everyone... guess not... how about *now? wrong again. *now?* nope." It really drags on. But when you're done you actually feel done.

Jrmint

I have a quick question regarding the expansions:

I am still playing the main story, but I would like to be able to use the Guns and Vehicles and whatnot that come with the expansions. If you buy the expansions are you able to use the additional items they added with Niko's story, or are they only available for those specific stories?

Thanks much.

Pimpbaa

AgentOtaku said:
No AA. PS3 version does get the better shadows though. Not dithered like 360's

The shadows are dithered on the PS3 as well. The blurring due to it being sub 720p makes them slightly less noticeble

After playing and enjoying Red Dead I really want to give GTA4 another chance. I had the game on PS3 but never really got into it sadly. I want to give it another try so I wonder if I should stick with PS3 or try PC version?

I have:

e8400 @ 3.9 Ghz
4GB RAM
5850 @ 920/1190
Windows 7
1680x1050 monitor.

No gamepad on PC though but I could buy some cheapo PS2 looking pad if need be

Interfectum

beat Gay Tony a few days ago... much better than Lost and Damned, imo. The characters are so over the top and it's as if Michael Bay directed a GTA game. :lol

Wiggum2007

Interfectum said:
beat Gay Tony a few days ago... much better than Lost and Damned, imo. The characters are so over the top and it's as if Michael Bay directed a GTA game. :lol

I loved LatD as much as BoGT, but yeah I hope this is an indicator of the direction they'll be going with for the next GTA.

My brother just got this for his PC.

Does anyone know which patch is optimal ?

It seems like many people are complaining about the latest patch (6th or 7th?) because it turned down some graphics to improve performance.

Is 1.0.4.0 patch any good ?
Is there a list anywhere that tells the differences ?

AnEternalEnigma said:
Because it's just DLC. It depends on the disc for the game engine.
But isn't the install just city assets? That should work fine with both games, as long as the DLC stuff is on the disc. If I was to download it from the Store, it would read the GTA IV install just fine.

This is weird.I have GTA 4 on pc ( steam version) and the cops do absolutely nothing when I shoot at them! Is this a bug or something? I can't get any wanted stars.I even tried using the wanted stars cheat and that doesn't even work.

Has anyone else had this problem?

This game also needs an AA patch!

bigben85 said:
Thinking about picking up the Steam GTA IV and the EFLC. Which mods should I get for better graphics?
Would like to know myself, just upgraded the PC. But don't have the internet to redownload 15gb

Why does the PS3 version of episodes from Liberty city use the same save file system as the original GTAIV? I believe GTAIV had a limit to the maximum number of save files and now I find that any Episodes from liberty city save files count towards that limit. Why would they do this if they are essentially different games?

What problems are you having with the controls and camera? Are you trying to play using a controller? Console gamers complained about the driving controls in GTA 4 from day 1 but the cars handled like a dream for me. I just assumed it was because they were driving with controllers instead of m/kb.

jett

D-Member
I <3 Memes said:
What problems are you having with the controls and camera? Are you trying to play using a controller? Console gamers complained about the driving controls in GTA 4 from day 1 but the cars handled like a dream for me. I just assumed it was because they were driving with controllers instead of m/kb.

I don't like how the cars handle at all, not for this type of game anyway. It's so hard to simply turn and powerslide in this game, I'm crashing into everything. I'm not sure if it's trying to be realistic but I don't like it as it is.
Character controls feel unresponsive and laggy.
Camera snaps to the back of your character way too quickly after you look around with it, after being used to other, higher quality third-person action games this gen I can't deal with this. There's something about it I really dislike.

I have advanced very little but just based on controls itself I cannot believe this game got all those perfect scores.

I am using a controller though, but I couldn't imagine playing a GTA game with a keyb/m.

Running like total crap doesn't help either. :p

gogogow

Be sure to download the latest patch v.1.070, it has a nice performance boost, without the patch it will run like crap, even if you have a decent rig. If you already have the patch applied, be sure to move the sliders/bars all the way to the left (the 3 green sliders/bars in the graphics option). I would set the first two sliders between 10-20 and the third one, car density to 40-50. Just check the framerate, move it up/down a little. And yeah, the cars are slippery as hell and hard to take a turn without hitting other cars, just how I remember them from the PS3 version. Try to use handbrake lol, the camera will follow your car from the side, it's horrible, no idea why they would implement it like that. And be sure to turn off auto-aiming.

Epix

I installed the PC version via Amazon Downloader and I finished the install and I'm now staring at this screen:

2wbzt7b.jpg

The Microsoft icon isn't a link as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

Epix

The Microsoft link is taking me to a page to install SP3 for Windows XP. I'm running Windows 7 64bit. What do I do?

Top Bottom