• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

JB1981

Extremely LTTP, however I have to write about when you
kill Dwayne

Man, I really felt like SHIT after I decided to kill him. To top it all of, if you go to the internet cafe afterward, he sends you this email where he's reaching out to you - wants to get closer to you and chill, feels you're the only decent guy around etc.

Also the shootout to save
Roman
was fucking EPIC and Niko barks some AWESOME lines at the Russian mob during the gun fight. The AI is actually pretty good too, better than some recent first person shooters imo. There are times where this game frustrates me to no end, and then there are times where the game is absolutely brilliant imo. Can anyone tell me how far into the game I am?

bathala

Banned
I was surprised to get this in the mail today. I thought it was a late X-mass present, but it said Congratulation from winning MS XBL GTA IV OFFICIAL SWEEPSTAKE.
totally forgot about it.
gtabat.jpg

gtabat2.jpg

Goldrusher

JB1981 said:
Also the shootout to save
Roman
was fucking EPIC and Niko barks some AWESOME lines at the Russian mob during the gun fight. The AI is actually pretty good too, better than some recent first person shooters imo. There are times where this game frustrates me to no end, and then there are times where the game is absolutely brilliant imo. Can anyone tell me how far into the game I am?
About halfway I think...
Storyline ends at around ~60% in the game's pause screen statistics.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking that I really need to replay this game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Rez>You said:
I'm thinking that I really need to replay this game.
I've been getting back into the online, still really fun. The SP, well, I like it but it's nowhere near SA. If this was as good I wouldn't have put it down. You have 360 version no? Add me on PSN if you have the PS3 version, I'm on regularly.

I replayed this for a couple of trophies,
I remembered which missions forced you to ditch your car so I played it safe this time around and abused the Taxi element

with the Taxi, I was able to get the under 30 hour Trophy while still .

its really really really sad when you start working for Packie, Gerry, Derek, Phil and Jimmy that you are forced to ditch your beleved car for the mission designated vehicle.

I spent 90% of GTAIII on a Banshee...
I spent 90% of GTAIV traveling by Taxi because I was tired of being forced to ditch my Banshee i

aries_71

Well, this thread is almost dead (even if the PC release is very recent, and several sites have given the game the GOTY title).

I managed to finally beat GTA4, after a long, long pause lasting several months. I bought it at launch, and stopped playing after being frustrated by the Paper-trail helo mission.

This weekned I finished the game by just ignoring all the social-interaction aspects of the game, using the taxi teletransport constantly, and my God... it's a totally different game. One very enjoyable! I now undestand that trying to keep friends happy with all those stupid mini-games, and those long, long manual travels around the city was killing the game for me.

Once I stopped with all that friends bullshit, and did only main missions, the game impressed me again. It was a good experience, although one marred by some very wrong design aspects (friends interation, mainly).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
I've been getting back into the online, still really fun. The SP, well, I like it but it's nowhere near SA. If this was as good I wouldn't have put it down. You have 360 version no? Add me on PSN if you have the PS3 version, I'm on regularly.
I have the PS3 version, I'll add you when I can. :)

My PS3 is currently being lent to someone who wants to play through MGS4, so it mightn't be for around a week or so. :lol

AkuMifune

Banned
I beat GTAIV when it first came out (@ 80%) on the PS3 and traded it in not long after. Like many, I was kinda disappointed with the final 1/3 of the game and overall felt the city wasn't as much fun to dick around in as SA.

Thanks to GiantBomb for talking me back into it, I recently picked up the 360 version (DLC), and I'm enjoying this world alot more than I did the first time. Still, things like linear car chases are total bullshit. I know they wanted to create some epic scripted moments, but when you're good at driving, you're basically just babysitting the AI until you're allowed to kill them, which is ridiculous, especially for a GTA game. Lack of checkpoints is another negative, but honestly if they gave you as much freedom to complete missions as previous entries it wouldn’t bother me so much.

I'm nearly done with the story missions, and then I'll try to wrap up as many achievements as I can (including multiplayer ones) before the DLC. If anyone is still playing on 360, add me up (same as GAF).

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Help please,

I just had a call from little jacob to take him out as a friend, now I took him everywhere, but after each place I went to there was never a way pointer appearing to take him home, in the end I just did a runner from him lol, did I doing something wrong ?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Topher said:
I just killed a R* employee. Yeah!!!
No, that's not how it works.

A kills R* employee.
B kills A and gets the achievement.
C kills either B or A and gets the achievement.
D kills either C, B or A and gets the achievement.

etc etc

I got it on my first kill online. Everyone got it.

Seiken said:

A kills R* employee.

etc etc

Maybe he was "A". I was "A".

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mac the KNife said:
Maybe he was "A". I was "A".
No chance in hell. R* ain't playing this game anymore.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
AkuMifune said:
Thanks to GiantBomb for talking me back into it, I recently picked up the 360 version (DLC), and I'm enjoying this world alot more than I did the first time
Yeah, I think I'll get it again pretty soon. I got 3/4/5 hours in on my first go before getting bored, but I'd like to play through it all at some point. Maybe pick up the DLC depending, too.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Seiken said:

A kills R* employee.

etc etc

michael-scott-steve-carell.png

Why must you crush my dreams?

Yoshichan

Sorry :lol :lol

Seiken said:
No chance in hell. R* ain't playing this game anymore.

Someone at Rockstar must still love GTA Race because I killed their ass and got the achievement. There's a distinction in the game between regular players and R* employees.

yowoe

Banned
Mac the KNife said:
Someone at Rockstar must still love GTA Race because I killed their ass and got the achievement. There's a distinction in the game between regular players and R* employees.

Or maybe they have bots playing constantly as employees so everyone can get the achievement!

*Puts on tin foil hat*

I played the game all the way through the end, and hate the ending sequence. Couldn't do it (not for lack of trying) and got REALLLLLLLLLLY frustrated at having to restart all the way at the beginning every time. Probably going to use cheats to finish it.

JB1981

The final mission: perhaps the most frustrating mission I've played in any videogame ever. And I loved the game so much up to that point. Oh my god. Worst trial and error game design I've ever seen. You literally have to die like 5 times in that sequence in order to know how to beat it.

"Get on the bike."
*gets on bike*
"Pellegrino got away." --WTF?!!!! I just got on this motherfucker!

"Use the ramp."
*ok .. that thing on the right looks like a ramp*
- wrong fucking ramp

"Use the machine guns and stay low."
*BLASTED out of the sky by a rocket launcher*
*Crashes helicopter into the water*
*crash lands chopper on the pier*
"Chase Pelegrino"
*gets killed by an enemy that pops out of NOWHERE!
- redo the entire fucking mission ten to twelve fucking times.

OH MY FUCKING GOOOOOOD

Walshicus

JB1981 said:
The final mission: perhaps the most frustrating mission I've played in any videogame ever. And I loved the game so much up to that point. Oh my god. Worst trial and error game design I've ever seen. You literally have to die like 5 times in that sequence in order to know how to beat it.
I did that in one...

The only mission I had a hard time with was the sniping-cover one for the mafia guy...

RBH

JB1981 said:

"Get on the bike."
*gets on bike*

"Use the ramp."
- wrong fucking ramp

"Chase Pelegrino"

OH MY FUCKING GOOOOOOD
I can't drive the helicopter for shit. I think I redid the mission over 10 times because I either crashed into the water with the helicopter or got blasted out of the sky by a rocket launcher each and every time. :lol

Hey, so Little Jacob likes me 88% and I've finished all his missions and deliveries but he hasn't called me about buying guns off him. Has this ever happened to you guys or does he always give you that after 80%? Any suggestions?

ElyrionX

JB1981 said:

"Get on the bike."
*gets on bike*

"Use the ramp."
- wrong fucking ramp

"Chase Pelegrino"

OH MY FUCKING GOOOOOOD

:lol

That's almost exactly what happened to me. When the message came on screen for you to get on the bike, I was actually looking around and wondering why the fuck I'm being asked to get on a bike since I didn't see him get on the boat. After I realize he's on the boat, I got on the bike and immediately failed the mission and had to go through the whole fucking shootout before that again. Pissed me off so much.

How hard is it to get the platinum trophy? The only time consuming part would seem to be the MP stuff but other than that everything seems pretty easy to do.

Goldrusher

bdizzle said:
How hard is it to get the platinum trophy? The only time consuming part would seem to be the MP stuff but other than that everything seems pretty easy to do.
Yeah. Most difficult and/or boring trophies imo:

Liberty City (5): make sure you respond positively to every e-mail you get or you're screwed
Driving Mr. Bellic: stay good friends with Roman during the story
Finish Him: 10 melee counters in 4 minutes, much harder than it sounds
Gobble Gobble: 3 strikes in a row in bowling, tricky, but not impossible

Fly The Co-op: ridiculously hard (useful videos: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=007craft&view=videos )
Wanted: time consuming
Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic: time consuming... Easiest way is to this one with a friend, letting each other win the ~100 races (set it to 1 lap, no traffic), which then of course equals 200 races, but you're both guaranteed easy wins.

Doc Evils

I'm doing a second run on the PS3 and you know, even though at first I hated it this time I'm noticing all these small details and I'm enjoying it.

wotter

Goldrusher said:
Finish Him: 10 melee counters in 4 minutes, much harder than it sounds
Gobble Gobble: 5 strikes in a row in bowling, tricky, but not impossible

The melee counters really aren't that hard, do it at the helipad.
I'm pretty sure its 3 strikes in a row for the gobble gobble trophy, I still have to beat a friend at pool.

Zenith

Banned
needlesmcgirk said:
Hey, so Little Jacob likes me 88% and I've finished all his missions and deliveries but he hasn't called me about buying guns off him. Has this ever happened to you guys or does he always give you that after 80%? Any suggestions?

taking him out for dinner, etc raises it. you have to wait until you get a phone call saying "we're friends now".

GQman2121

Banned
bdizzle said:

The online stuff is nothing more than a huge grind.

The worse part is that R*'s servers are rubbish, so there will be times when your stats are not even recorded properly. This makes getting the platinum trophy or achievement damn near impossible.

I know on the official Playstation boards there's a thread devoted to just the AWP trophy, where people will meet up and try to help each other out in one sitting to unlock everything that is required.

I have all of the single player trophies and a few of the online ones, but I'm not even going to try to get the platinum.

GQman2121 said:
The online stuff is nothing more than a huge grind.

The worse part is that R*'s servers are rubbish, so there will be times when your stats are not even recorded properly. This makes getting the platinum trophy or achievement damn near impossible.

I know on the official Playstation boards there's a thread devoted to just the AWP trophy, where people will meet up and try to help each other out in one sitting to unlock everything that is required.

I have all of the single player trophies and a few of the online ones, but I'm not even going to try to get the platinum.

That sucks, I was hoping it'd less grinding involved, that's actually one of my fears. I'm just gonna keep plugging away until I get it. In the 3 weeks I've gotten a plat in Uncharted and Burnout, and GTA is the last trophy enabled game I have until SFIV, KZ2, and RE5 is released; and I'm hoping to get a platinum in it before they come out.

About how long did it take you to get 100% in the game and all the SP trophies?

RotBot

bdizzle said:
That sucks, I was hoping it'd less grinding involved, that's actually one of my fears. I'm just gonna keep plugging away until I get it. In the 3 weeks I've gotten a plat in Uncharted and Burnout, and GTA is the last trophy enabled game I have until SFIV, KZ2, and RE5 is released; and I'm hoping to get a platinum in it before they come out.

According to this, you need $5,000,000 in multiplayer to get the Wanted achievement. Fastest moneymaker is apparently grinding the NOOSE mission, which gives you $4,500 for each match. So that's 1,112 matches. Assuming you average 3 minutes per match, that's 55.6 hours of grinding.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Posted this in the Lost and Damned thread, no one cared. SECOND TIME LUCKY!

I was just playing Grand Theft Auto IV and got this text from Roman

"Hey Cuz, thanks for saving ass back there. I thought I'd played my last hand when that biker guy kidnapped me for the Russians"

Cool, can't wait to play it in LnD :p

GQman2121

Banned
bdizzle said:

I beat the game in under 20 hours, and that's with watching all of the cutscenes. After going back and doing all of the stunt jumps and finding all of the pigeons, I was at about 25 hours.

Those three are the most time consuming single player trophies. The races for Brucie, Cop car missions, assassin missions, and random peds are all very easy. If you focus you could do all of it in about 5 hours.

Once those were done with I focused on my friends. Not counting Roman, there are three trophies you get when each of your main friends (Packie, Brucie, Jacob) likes you more than 75%.

For the Key to the City trophy (100%) you have take each of them out one time successfully for each of the options available in your phone. So just take each out one right after the other, and make sure to write down or get some kid of system so that you don't repeat any of the "dates" your first time through. Don't repeat the same date back to back with the same friend. Meaning if you go for drinks, don't ask him to go out for drinks again on your next date. They'll only brush you off and take a few friend points with them.

Also, make sure not to call Packie or Jacob between 24:00 (midnight) and 12:00 (noon) because they'll be sleeping. Brucie is up at 8:00, so knock him out first and then go from there.

One thing to remember with all of your friends is to watch what ever cutscene you're given when out together. If you go to comedy club--watch the show. If you go bowling or play pool--finish a whole game before leaving. If you bounce early you'll still get the thumbs up and receive positive % points, but you won't get the maximum amount, which is 7.

Another thing to remember is to always take your friends to the Super Star Restaurant east of Middle Park when you're going for food. They all like it and your guaranteed to take max points.

Like I said, the online stuff is all pretty much just a huge grind.

Here's the AWP thread on the Playstation forum. It outlines the games online issues with recording stats, and there's a good number of people there that are willing to help if there's a particular online trophy you're looking to get.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=gta&thread.id=505051

I still need to get the Fly the Co-op one my self, so if anyone wants to try one night, hit me up.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
JB1981 said:

"Get on the bike."
*gets on bike*

"Use the ramp."
- wrong fucking ramp

"Chase Pelegrino"

OH MY FUCKING GOOOOOOD

I ended up going to youtube to see how I was supposed to do it. Still took me 4 more tries.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I think the second piece of DLC should be played from Packie, or maybe Little Jacob's perspective, and take place after GTA IV.

Playing missions would let you see the effect Niko Bellic had on the criminal underbelly of Grand Theft Auto IV. You'd also be able to go out for drinks/food/bowling etc with Niko and see how Niko lives after IV ended.

I guess it would have to read your save game to know your choices.

Still, it would be a sweet epilogue.

jts

...hate me...
McBacon said:
I think the second piece of DLC should be played from Packie, or maybe Little Jacob's perspective, and take place after GTA IV.

Playing missions would let you see the effect Niko Bellic had on the criminal underbelly of Grand Theft Auto IV. You'd also be able to go out for drinks/food/bowling etc with Niko and see how Niko lives after IV ended.

They probably want it to be playable even for people who actually didn't play or finish GTA IV yet. An epilogue would kinda spoil the story.

RotBot said:
According to this, you need $5,000,000 in multiplayer to get the Wanted achievement. Fastest moneymaker is apparently grinding the NOOSE mission, which gives you $4,500 for each match. So that's 1,112 matches. Assuming you average 3 minutes per match, that's 55.6 hours of grinding.

Are you serious? I thought that was 5m in SP :'(

Holy fuck! Sadly I'm dumb enough to get this trophy. I'll spend 3hrs a day for a month or so. Hopefully by then I'll be LVL 10 I was hoping to have plat by feb 17 but I guess not....

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but GTA4 has quite a few references to the Lost.

"Ray got her to get her friends to steal the ice off of some club owner guy. Her friends are the Lost biker gang".

So we get to steal ice and kidnap Roman. Hot.

Don

McBacon said:

Recently I've been trying to work out who the main character for the next DLC will be, and if it takes place during the same time line as both Niko and Johnny's story then I think you will end up playing as Luis. Luis appears in about the same number of missions as Johnny (he was in the bank during "Three Leaf Clover", he broke up the diamond exchange during "Museum Piece" and was the other character with Anthony "Gay Tony" Prince when you are exchanging Gracie for the diamonds druing "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend") and also for beating the "Museum Piece" mission, you get an achievement/trophy called Impossible Trinity, maybe because it is the also the only mission where all three characters cross paths.

Edit:
Playing as Luis would also allow the Story to focus on some of the other gangs that didn't show up too often during Niko's story.

Niko's story focuses on the Russians, Italian-American families, and the Irish family.
Johnny's story will focus on the biker gangs such as The Lost and the Angels of Death.

So maybe Luis' story could focus on the North Holland Hustlers and M.O.B. which are both mentioned briefly during Niko's story.

Another hint is that on the Police database on the in-game internet, all the playable characters (Niko, Johnny and even Huang Lee from Chinatown Wars) have grand theft auto on their criminal records, and Luis also has it on his.

fresquito

I have a doubt, related to performance on PCs. I hope someone can help me out in this one.

I have tried GTAIV on my comp when it launched, and on minimun of everything is ran at about 25-30fps. It was weird because at maximun it would run on the 15-20fps. Anyway, I've read the two patches have improved performance quite a bit, but now I'm in no position to try the game again.

So, could you hint me what kind of performance I could expect with the following?

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
- 3.25GB 800DDR2 RAM (I have 4, but my Windows XP 32 won't detect them all).
- GeForce 8600GT

I'm not demanding when it comes down to resolution. I'm fine playing at 1024x768, if there're no graphical glitches because of that. So... any helping hand that can answer me before the weekend deal from Steam goes off?

Thank you.

Top Bottom