• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Saints Row looks atrocious (gameplay video)

I'm sure the pay wasn't very high for the VA, there is like 8 or something for the MC. So I wouldn't expect something great. Like I said before, I'll get this on steam a year from now when its cheap.

Last edited:
this-is-the-worst-worst.gif

Wasnt this series always “GTA for kids”?

Are they suppose to go for the tastes of some old fucks that bought the game when they were younger.. or to all the kids of today.

Or are preteens too busy with FTP games nowadays?

EDMIX

Dear God, the UI, the voice acting, the dialogue, the brain dead AI & gameplay. This is awful.

Are there generally people excited for this?

lol ironically, this video may have sold me on it.

Saints Row has never been seen as some deep serious game or something. This looks like its pulling from that PS2/360 era gameplay tropes that funny enough is a great selling point for the idea of what Saints Row actually is.

Some crazy shooter, sandbox game with vehicles that doesn't take itself seriously. From what I see, I just can't say this is the worst we've seen from a game or something. If someone asked me what gaming is like in 2022, I don't think I'll have an issue showing them this game lol We've seen some bad games where the fucking game isn't even playable, where the AI is so slow, they can't drive cars or come after you or seem to not know you exist or something.

Sorry buds, but this game isn't some shining example of awful games or a bad game or something like that. You simply dislike it, but I'd argue one can say that about the whole Saint's series, but i don't know if I can reach to the level of say those are awful or great examples of bad games or something. I've seen enough from this very video that argues its a working playable game that seems to fit the objective of what they are going for with some sandbox chaos type thing.

So....are there people generally excited for it? I don't know, did you really fucking believe no on disagrees with you and no one will buy this or something? lol the fuck? You do know people have different views in this thing call the world right? lol Thats some narrowminded thinking bud. smh.

Darchaos

Ive been playing Mass effect 1-2 the 4 couple of last weeks, think im going to continue with 3:) Infact, im just done withe the Vancouver part and has arrived on Mars. So this is the future of gaming, this Saints row or what its called?

Antwix

I've actually seen a lot of people excited for this. Don't really know why. Gameplay looks rough. Story is abysmal.

I forget what video I was watching last week, but they said the camera doesn't "move" with the car while making a turn. You have to manually pan your camera. Not sure if that's a PC only thing or what but yeah, basically a 2002 game with 2015 graphics.

Wasnt this series always “GTA for kids”?

Are they suppose to go for the tastes of some old fucks that bought the game when they were younger.. or to all the kids of today.

Or are preteens too busy with FTP games nowadays?
Nah, this is GTA for kids :

22ad3e12db707280f46e382c57a85a6177e51e4b.jpeg

Reallink

Mad-Libs derived 25 year old open world mission design aside, the technical aspects also seem embarrassing. Foliage or foliage shadows appear to hard pop-in 3 feet ahead of you and the dirt bike seems to lack any kind of physics simulation at all.

Last edited:

EDMIX

So this is the future of gaming, this Saints row or what its called?

lol no.

The game doesn't suggest any of that, in fact it seems to purposely take a step back to those PS2/360 ideas of open world gameplay concepts. So a love letter to those games, homage, fan services to that type of gameplay etc.

I don't see anything here that the team is showing some revolunary thing, but they also don't claim that is what this is or something. I think all those mechanics are done on purpose to focus on those old school core ideas.

Reallink Reallink lol trust me, I don't think anyone hype for this game gives a shit. Nothing in this games selling point seem to reach to try to get sales based on what you are saying. It looks like its aim is simply for those old gameplay concept and not to take itself too seriously. If this was Red Dead Redemption 2 or a remake of Red Dead 1 or something I'd 100% agree with you btw, but it seems their focus isn't to sell to that type of gamer and more so a focus on the core gameplay stuff

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I am more surprised that more and more people are just now catching on. It looked horrible from the start. The art direction is all over the place and the game design, animations and physics are really dated. None of the game looks cohesive. The story and writing seem poor as well.

ClosBSAS

Doesnt it have egs exclusivity too? I guess that money hat allows them to do this shit and not worry about sales, cause sales are gonna be bad.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Doesnt it have egs exclusivity too? I guess that money hat allows them to do this shit and not worry about sales, cause sales are gonna be bad.

I had to google it, it is EGS exclusive. Yuck. I may wait until this thing is bargain bin price then, rather than going day on the PS5 like I was planning.

N30RYU

I always looked at Saints Row as a niche ugly game that for some reason theres ppl that likes it like the Earth Defence Force franchise.

like an ugly bastard son of GTA and Crackdown trying to be funny.

Last edited:
I don't know how to feel. On one hand, that gameplay (had to look it up since it's been removed) does look really janky (jankier than the old games which is depressing), and clearly the writing has been deflated by the fear of "punching down". On the other hand, classic Saints Row deep customization, and an empire building system where you can plop business fronts down in the world where you want and they become side actvities are cool features I don't see a lot of.

I'm tired of "liberate enemy camp" type open worlds, and I really need something different. Jank is ok to a degree, but gunplay has to feel good and this looks... floaty. So I'll take it, but maybe at a discount.

I always looked at Saints Row as a niche ugly game that for some reason theres ppl that likes it like the Earth Defence Force franchise.

like an ugly bastard son of GTA and Crackdown trying to be funny.
Saint Row 2 was the peak IMO.

After that they ramped up the goofy shit x10 fold and along with that came the x10 cringe factor. Whoever was responsible for that radical shift in tone deserves to be fired. It fucking tanked this IP.

Last edited:
Saint Row 2 was the peak IMO.

After that they ramped up the goofy shit x10 fold and along with that came the x10 cringe factor. Whoever was responsible for that radical shift in tone deserves to be fired. It fucking tanked this IP.
5lak3q34qzy81.png

(Amount is per millions sold)

The main thing potentially impacting this series was the whole situation with THQ tanking, and then THQ being absorbed by Deep Silver, Deep Silver doing business with Koch Media, and then Deep Silver then being absorbed by Embracer.

Look at Deep Silver's releases in the past 5-7 years, organize by 'new' and filter out remasters. Dead Island's sequel that's still nowhere to be found is more proof.

Top Bottom