• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Microphone in PS5's DualSense Controller Will Identify Users and Eliminate Crosstalk

Shmunter

The Microphone in PS5's DualSense Controller Will Identify Users and Eliminate Crosstalk using the microphone array

www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/04/the_microphone_in_ps5s_dualsense_controller_will_identify_users_and_eliminate_crosstalk

...” the Japanese giant has a solution which will at least help to eliminate some background noise. As part of a patent filed in February and published this week, the manufacturer explained how its new pad’s “microphone array” will operate. “Captured sound can be processed to exclude sounds which do not emanate from a certain region of the interactive environment,” the document illustrates.”

This was a concern, but rightfully Sony is on top off it. The Cacophony of sound could have ruined multiplayer. Instead a proper implementation may mean the resurgence of social gaming where making friends with cool strangers makes a comeback. Breaking down the barrier to talking is indeed exciting times.

aclar00

Unfortunately for me the last and only game that required talking to teammates for me was Socom II. Any other game has just involved trash talking or chitchat. Then again i dont play too many online games.

thelastword

Banned
What's about all the noise and crosstalk I heard on how low quality the DualSense mic would be?

Seems like it's great quality all round....

I wonder how many hours went into tweaking the software to recognise the different tones and dialects of “you fucking f........t”

Last edited:

Zannegan

Cool tech, but the problem of chatting with randos has never been the technology, it's the people.

Trash talk is one thing, but the worst is when you get people trying to micromanage the team and pitching a hissy fit when A. people ignore them or B. people listen but they lose anyway. The screeching of 12 year old wannabe generals is more than I can take.

It'll be nice not to hear crappy music and or moms yelling in the background, but I have no interest in open group chat. The exception would be if they make it local, like you can only hear people near to you. Then it might be useful for coordinating moment-to-moment.

seanoff

Sounds like they’ve used some of the tech from their new camera mic the ECM-B1M

there are youtube that show how utterly brilliant it is at changing from omni to uni directional. they sound like they’ve borrowed the unidirectional tech.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Sounds like they’ve used some of the tech from their new camera mic the ECM-B1M

there are youtube that show how utterly brilliant it is at changing from omni to uni directional. they sound like they’ve borrowed the unidirectional tech.
I'm not so sure maybe they are using the ANC technology from their headphone series (most probably the wh1000 xm2/3)and believe if it is the same, were in for a treat those headphones are amazing.
Anyway they are amongst the best for active noise cancelling in this industry, so I'm pretty confident.

MayauMiao

Don't like the mic on by default. There should be a button to turn off the mic. I hate the idea of other people hear me scratching my balls.

BigLee74

Word of warning... sounds exactly like the microphone tech the Kinect had (or was meant to have), and it was awful for online gaming.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox controller sounding awfully weak right about now 😬 I say that as an Xbox guy! The DualSense sounds amazing.
The only thing the Xbox controller is missing is adaptive triggers, which will only be properly implemented for first party games. Don't forget that the Xbox One controller was already the best controller, and Sony is playing catchup. A more ergonomic design to rival the Switch Pro controller and Xbox One controller, haptic feedback to again bring it up to date, texture analog sticks to again bring it up to speed, etc.

MayauMiao

Judging by your post history, you know a lot about console warring and FUD spreading.
If you have no interest in ps5 or the dualsense why are you doing Drive-by shitposts in a ps5 related thread?

To be fair, I too think smartphones listen to us all the time. I've seen ads that often tailored to what I have said awhile ago.

I don't own that smart speaker so can rule that out for my case.

Aceofspades

Banned
The only thing the Xbox controller is missing is adaptive triggers, which will only be properly implemented for first party games. Don't forget that the Xbox One controller was already the best controller, and Sony is playing catchup. A more ergonomic design to rival the Switch Pro controller and Xbox One controller, haptic feedback to again bring it up to date, texture analog sticks to again bring it up to speed, etc.

I laughed at bolded 🤣

I can feel the pain through every word 🤣

So, you say Sony is playing catch up? I wonder who just copied Sony and added a "share" button to their controller? Also Xbox controller is lacking a speaker , a gyro still uses a technology from the 80s (AA battery lol)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Don't forget that the Xbox One controller was already the best controller, and Sony is playing catchup

Debatable and disagreeable, but if it is the workshopped official group line fine ;). I do appreciate the effort to put down adaptive triggers which the XSX controller does not have just in case people were excited about it hehe.

You did forget for example about the built in speaker, the share button (guess who copied who here ;)), and that neither Xbox One controller nor DS4 have haptic feedback but just more basic rumble. This seems to be a step up from even what Switch brought to the table with HD Rumble.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Xbox controller sounding awfully weak right about now 😬 I say that as an Xbox guy! The DualSense sounds amazing.
Thought so until I learned that the DualSense doesn't feature classic rumble anymore but thoise same buzzing things as the Switch or smartphones. I hate the feeling those things give. I want actual rumble. But I can see why Sony did it, to keep battery consumption in check with the ton of features the controller has.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Thought so until I learned that the DualSense doesn't feature classic rumble anymore but thoise same buzzing things as the Switch or smartphones. I hate the feeling those things give. I want actual rumble. But I can see why Sony did it, to keep battery consumption in check with the ton of features the controller has.

Not all smartphones are the same haptic feedback wise and good haptic feedback can be better than the old rumble.
Haptic feedback is, for example, what makes you feel like you are clicking a MacBook trackpad albeit the surface is not moving one single bit.

Bonus point for calling the upgrade to haptic feedback a measure chosen to conserve battery life... people who tried it seem to strongly prefer it to the DS4.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Not all smartphones are the same haptic feedback wise and good haptic feedback can be better than the old rumble.
Haptic feedback is, for example, what makes you feel like you are clicking a MacBook trackpad albeit the surface is not moving one single bit.

Bonus point for calling the upgrade to haptic feedback a measure chosen to conserve battery life... people who tried it seem to strongly prefer it to the DS4.

I was interested in "HD rumble" at first as well. And if done right it can give convincing results. Bad the truth is that few devs even bother to do accurate rumble and they just use what they use for rumble on the actuators. And as a result it's just an annoying buzz that goes through every bone. It helps that it uses 1/10th of the energy, but it's also really limited by how forceful the effect can be.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I was interested in "HD rumble" at first as well. And if done right it can give convincing results. Bad the truth is that few devs even bother to do accurate rumble and they just use what they use for rumble on the actuators. And as a result it's just an annoying buzz that goes through every bone. It helps that it uses 1/10th of the energy, but it's also really limited by how forceful the effect can be.

Good thing the console has a strong and technically minded stable of first party developers that can both help prove the unique ideas of the controller to the world as well as create tools and best practices for other devs to follow shire (very strong dev tooling department like the ICE team beside ND and the other tech support teams around the globe) :).

FranXico

Over time, I stopped caring about rumble and started turning it off to extend the DS4 battery life.
I expect to try the novelty a couple of days, go from (possibly) impressed to no longer bothered and then keep it off to prolong the battery life again.
But if it already uses less juice than current rumble, that's a really good thing in my opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Debatable and disagreeable, but if it is the workshopped official group line fine ;). I do appreciate the effort to put down adaptive triggers which the XSX controller does not have just in case people were excited about it hehe.

You did forget for example about the built in speaker, the share button (guess who copied who here ;)), and that neither Xbox One controller nor DS4 have haptic feedback but just more basic rumble. This seems to be a step up from even what Switch brought to the table with HD Rumble.
What group? This is so typical, just because I have a different opinion on the controller I must be a fanboy that is part of a ridiculous discord group... Sorry to disappoint you but this is all me.

Indeed I didn't add the speaker, will depend on how good it is to see if it's an actual addition. I don't even know a use case for that. Share button... That's a joke right? Microsoft copied that indeed, but it's a button... That's nothing compared to the already superior ergonomics and comfort that Sony is now trying to match. And the Xbox One definitely has haptic feedback. Maybe you've never tried it, but you should check it out before commenting on that.

GetSchwifty

Banned
Don't like the mic on by default. There should be a button to turn off the mic. I hate the idea of other people hear me scratching my balls.
What do you think that button is?

7pr6Zkv.png

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What group? This is so typical, just because I have a different opinion on the controller I must be a fanboy that is part of a ridiculous discord group... Sorry to disappoint you but this is all me.

Indeed I didn't add the speaker, will depend on how good it is to see if it's an actual addition. I don't even know a use case for that. Share button... That's a joke right? Microsoft copied that indeed, but it's a button... That's nothing compared to the already superior ergonomics and comfort that Sony is now trying to match. And the Xbox One definitely has haptic feedback. Maybe you've never tried it, but you should check it out before commenting on that.

Xbox One has standard spinning mass based rumble motors for the chassis and additional precision programmable spinning mass based rumble motors specific for triggers, apples and oranges:

PS5's Dual Sense adopts haptic feedback engines for the entire chassis and programmable variable resistance as well as rumble feedback for the triggers (this is beyond what Impulse Triggers deliver no matter how much you want to put this bit aside):

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

Have to agree.

I really like the effect when done well, though. There’s been times where I’ve been like, whoa, that actually feels like a splash, or something of the nature.

Hopefully 2/3 manufacturers in the gaming space using it, makes some developers reconsider their priorities on this. Likewise, it’s been three years since the Switch launched, and even though my inner Nintendo fan will be jelly, lol, I do hope we see some interesting improvements to the technology too.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Have to agree.

I really like the effect when done well, though. There’s been times where I’ve been like, whoa, that actually feels like a splash or something of the nature.

Hopefully 2/3 manufacturers in the gaming space using it, makes some developers reconsider their priorities on this. Likewise, it’s been three years since the Switch launched, and even though my inner Nintendo fan will be jelly, lol, I do hope we see some interesting improvements to the technology too.

Some games on Switch, looking at you Shinobi: SEGA Ages, do a very poor job of utilising the finesse HD Rumble can provide... just do a strong raw buzz as soon as you hit an enemy. The first and only game where I have ever turned rumble off :/.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Some games on Switch, looking at you Shinobi: SEGA Ages, do a very poor job of utilising the finesse HD Rumble can provide... just do a strong raw buzz as soon as you hit an enemy. The first and only game where I have ever turned rumble off :/.

Yeah. I’m a big fan of Fortnite, and it did the same. Off it went. It’s a shame to see a game like that, where feeling every aspect of the different guns, from shots to reloads, could be fantastic, but the potential is left on the table for ‘BZZZ’ ‘BZZZ’ ‘BZZZ’.

To me, if you’re making a Switch or PS5 game, you should be making the most of that feature. Period.

Anything else is lazy, and as overused as the lazy developer rhetoric is, it really is that, to march in the opposite direction of where the technology is going, the potential, and provide the worst possible user experience.

Numenorean

The problem with features that are left to be implemented by developers choice is that third party developers usually aim for the least comun denominator, the least effort to say a thing.

Just look at the controller speaker and the touch pad on the DS4. Those festures, if well designed and integrated, can add a whole new sense of immersion to a game (Tear away unfolded, Horizon ZD, Uncharted 4)

The new haptic feedback rumble in the DualSense could add a lot new experience to the game, but surely only will be used by 1st party studios

Judging by your post history, you know a lot about console warring and FUD spreading.
If you have no interest in ps5 or the dualsense why are you doing Drive-by shitposts in a ps5 related thread?
Because everyone has a right to an opinion and I choose to exercise mine, unless we are in a communist country.

The share button on Xbox Series X controllers can be customised to something else. It's just an extra button.

Majority of gamers will probably disable haptic feedback, Speaker and mic on DuelSense in competitive Multiplayer games. Imo It's gimmick with more gimmick features. I want to hear footsteps in Siege, Call of Duty etc... not feel some vibrator, vibrating my fingers.

I will always use an headset which will make these features obsolete.

Gediminas

Banned
Can we pretend that Microsoft released the controller so we can have a real conversation about privacy concerns and how they plan to implement microtransactions with your mic?
they would monetize every word you spoke and after 1 month they would send you a check. you know, monthly fee. or they could add it into gamepass which would cost 200$ a year. oh mighty subscriptions :) you know, they like to charge for thing that are free..

Naked Lunch

A built in mic is something ive never wanted - and should not be standard.
Just think of it from a practical point of not wearing an ear piece. Youre going to hear all those people talking thru your TV speakers/surround - rather than just thru the ear piece. Youre going to hear people talking to people in their house, talking on their phone, etc. Im going to spend more time trying to mute people online than playing the game. It sounds like a bad idea - battery drainer. Should have been optional is some sore of pro controller.

When Kinect tried this is was terrible. You could tell who was using Kinect - and you could tell half of these people didnt even know how to turn it off. It of course picked up people just talking to their family in a room.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The share button on Xbox Series X controllers can be customised to something else. It's just an extra button.

Majority of gamers will probably disable haptic feedback, Speaker and mic on DuelSense in competitive Multiplayer games. Imo It's gimmick with more gimmick features. I want to hear footsteps in Siege, Call of Duty etc... not feel some vibrator, vibrating my fingers.

Uhm... ;)
6fGV6zz.png

You will be able to disable it, but tons other people will enjoy great haptic feedback and more immersive sound and triggers feedback :).

Top Bottom