• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense’s Microphone Array Has Active noise Canceling and More

doesnt ps4 comes with headset mic?
It does, the problem for me at least is when your main headset dies and you have to scramble for that crappy little add in during your gaming session. As long as you can easily mute it, this should be a feature on all controllers IMO

Not stalking you, you just bring up good points :)

Gamerguy84

Could the mic be for more than chat?

Isnt the PS5 supposed to have some virtual assistant going on?

Either way its wild that not only the DS5 have a mic and speaker, it has the 3.5mm jack also. Two ways to hear and communicate in one controller.

The PS4 had some voice commands but they werent extremely useful to me.

ILLtown

It would be cool for voice commands. That's the one reason why I've still got a Kinect hooked up to my Xbox One X.

It might be OK for voice chat too. Kinect was not good for voice chat, but only because of the distance between it and the user, which will be much less of an issue with this.

Reallink

This mic is definitely also going to be used to calibrate their 3D audio system for TV speakers, soundbars, and loudspeakers. So they're getting at least triple duty out of the single expenditure--smart assistance, voice chat, and audio calibration. Not at all surprising they're willing to invest in it.

Last edited:
This should also help in finding the sweet spot for the 3D audio using the TV speakers.
Thats an interesting point. Im am illiterate when it comes to audio but i know when its good if that makes sense. Anyway, do you have any insight into how this could help the 3D audio? Would love to hear if you had a theory.

Thats an interesting point. Im am illiterate when it comes to audio but i know when its good if that makes sense. Anyway, do you have any insight into how this could help the 3D audio? Would love to hear if you had a theory.

I've actually only picked that idea up from other forumers. Cerny already said that TV speakers could work with 3D audio but there's only a sweet spot in front of the TV where the 3D audio will work.

I suppose that needs calibration. Perhaps they could do an input from the user on how big his TV is, how far he is from the TV, etc. They could also perhaps play sound cues to the user and ask user to adjust based on his position (during calibration). I don't know if I'm making any sense, But this process is tedious.

I'm thinking Sony could make everything automatic without the need for long tedious calibration process by using the user's controller as the point of reference for the calibration since the controller has many microphones in array anyway.

I've actually only picked that idea up from other forumers. Cerny already said that TV speakers could work with 3D audio but there's only a sweet spot in front of the TV where the 3D audio will work.

I suppose that needs calibration. Perhaps they could do an input from the user on how big his TV is, how far he is from the TV, etc. They could also perhaps play sound cues to the user and ask user to adjust based on his position (during calibration). I don't know if I'm making any sense, But this process is tedious.

I'm thinking Sony could make everything automatic without the need for long tedious calibration process by using the user's controller as the point of reference for the calibration since the controller has many microphones in array anyway.
Some youtuber said the mic is the dumbest idea he's ever seen citing issues with controller clicking of buttons being an issue when chatting and the he can only see one mic on the controller and not an array of them.

the dualsense jimbo limited edition

dualsense5c6rks2.png

Only if it comes with the Jim Ryan USB-C Feathery Hair Attachment!

AKQBmqz.png

THEAP99

Banned
It will be cool if the ps5 allows for different input and output. For example I hope i am allowed to use the mic on the controller for input while using my own headphones as the output.
PS4 doesn't allow this as I can't use my blue yeti mic at the same time as using my hyper x alpha's.

I play games with an audio setup that cost way more than upcoming consoles. Having a good audio solution is a bit differentiator from the next person. But I highly doubt consoles will support high end audio solutions, which is shitty, as Microsoft has done away with optical audio and what not.

Kagey K

Banned
I play games with an audio setup that cost way more than upcoming consoles. Having a good audio solution is a bit differentiator from the next person. But I highly doubt consoles will support high end audio solutions, which is shitty, as Microsoft has done away with optical audio and what not.
If your audio setup is that good It would support ARC, which offers more bandwidth and features then your optical input can.

jaysius

Banned
Does it automute when some kid is shouting profanity at you? Does it automute a domestic because the dude/gal is STILL playing games when they've been told to some simple task? Does it automute when the troll yells at his mother for tendies?

An open mic is NEVER a good idea. Yes there's a mute button RIGHT THERE, do you think any of those real life cases will use that mute button ever?

This is just going to lead to more auto muting in multiplayer lobbies.

What we should be thinking about, is what half assed thing is this going to play a huge role in, in the future for the PS5, like how that stupid light bar was a big component of the PSVR.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Does it automute when some kid is shouting profanity at you? Does it automute a domestic because the dude/gal is STILL playing games when they've been told to some simple task? Does it automute when the troll yells at his mother for tendies?

An open mic is NEVER a good idea. Yes there's a mute button RIGHT THERE, do you think any of those real life cases will use that mute button ever?

What we should be thinking about, is what half assed thing is this going to play a huge role in, in the future for the PS5, like how that stupid light bar was a big component of the PSVR.

Not sure where this “concern” is coming from (especially the “what should really worry you is the half assed thing is is an enabler of), a convenience that is easily remedied when abuse occurs at a relatively trivial cost for the controller’s overall BoM.

jts

...hate me...
So far this controller is what I’m liking the most from the PS5. Firstly because it looks cool, and now this also seems cool. Sony is very good at noise cancelling.

It’s funny how fast they wanted to distance themselves from the DualShock 4 and the DualShock brand. On that note, what will be reeaaally important to know is the DS’s battery life in real conditions, that was the main reason for the DS4’s poor reputation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wow, but why? I am legit concerned now.

Why do so much in a controller? To most gamers, it is just a bread and butter item and thrown about at the end of a session. What about PS6 and so forth, will these become standards in Sony ecosystem?

And what about the battery life, anc drinks battery juice.

Seems clearer and clear, Mark Sony choose to give up a big CU part and spent that on ancillaries?

:messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

• LOL
Reactions: GHG
So many controllers that will be spit sprayed with insults about somebodys mother. So many controllers wanting to kill themselves because they got told to.
ojM4WYk.png

Alphagear

I'm saying the controller is going to cost more than usual. Noise cancelation is not a trivial thing and usually implies higher cost for headsets.
All levels out. Older components in the Dualsense will be cheaper now than they were during Dual shock 4.

Lets just say we arent looking at Elite controller prices. Not gonna happen.

Ar¢tos

If only there was an option to have it always muted until you want to press the button and use it....
Nah, I'm sure stupid Sony didn't even consider this scenario, after all they are not MICROSOFT ENGINEERS.

Kagey K

Banned
If only there was an option to have it always muted until you want to press the button and use it....
Nah, I'm sure stupid Sony didn't even consider this scenario, after all they are not MICROSOFT ENGINEERS.
Yeah, good guy Sony will probably work it that way. They love you so much., that they will only respect your privacy.

Why cNt every company be like them?

Ar¢tos

Yeah, good guy Sony will probably work it that way. They love you so much., that they will only respect your privacy.

Why cNt every company be like them?
Why are you constantly posting in PS5 threads if you don't like Sony's products or politics?

Sony spreading their R&D budget across its ecosystem is going to pay off big time.
Exactly how I feel about this. To be frank, I am really glad Sony took a radical next gen approach with PS5. This has really put next into next-gen; I am actually hyped for a new generation again! Another thing, I have a suspicion that they will reveal the back buttons as well but later.

Alphagear

For some people Sony can do no right. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Lack of features they complain and if they add a feature they complain about costs.

Last edited:

Alx

Noice cancelling will definitely be useful for voice commands during gameplay. Not sure about the chat quality, but I don't think it's the primary purpose, as those who worry about that would rather use a headset (that's even suggested by Sony themselves).

Top Bottom