• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense’s Microphone Array Has Active noise Canceling and More

DualSense’s Microphone Array Can Identify Users, Exclude Sounds, Eliminate Crosstalk.

"When three or more microphones are included in the array of microphones, it is possible to determine the location of a sound source relative to the microphone array [that] can be localized based on the relative timing of its sound as captured by each of the microphones.

Taken in combination with the known location and orientation of the controller (as determined based on sensors and tracking methods) and by extension the known location and orientation of the microphone array, then the location of the sound source within the interactive environment can be determined.

Furthermore, captured sound can be processed to exclude sounds which do not emanate from a certain region of the interactive environment."

Nice. Hope the cost wont be high for dualsense.

Evilms

Banned
the dualsense jimbo limited edition

dualsense5c6rks2.png

Gamernyc78

Banned
DualSense’s Microphone Array Can Identify Users, Exclude Sounds, Eliminate Crosstalk.

"When three or more microphones are included in the array of microphones, it is possible to determine the location of a sound source relative to the microphone array [that] can be localized based on the relative timing of its sound as captured by each of the microphones.

Taken in combination with the known location and orientation of the controller (as determined based on sensors and tracking methods) and by extension the known location and orientation of the microphone array, then the location of the sound source within the interactive environment can be determined.

Furthermore, captured sound can be processed to exclude sounds which do not emanate from a certain region of the interactive environment."

Nice. Hope the cost wont be high for dualsense.

Loving the controller info.

Grinchy

Banned
This is good to hear.

Sorry for the accidental but then purposely left in pun. I just read that a controller had a microphone built in and I thought it was crazy since sound is gonna be coming from the game and the controller itself, all blasting into the mic. But I guess they know what they're doing.

Yeah Kinect did this and it was shit. Just buy a headset.
Kinect would have been stationed a few feet away on the tv stand whereas your controller is literally right in your hands so the close proximity to you should ensure much more accurate noise cancelling performance.

That said headsets obviously will still be the better option but its good that those who do not wish to spend extra on a headset will have this feature.

EDIT:
Also wish to add i'm loving this controller more and more. Not just all the features but the look as well. I hope the final PS5 design is radically different to PS4 BUT also wish the console focuses on function over form. I'd rather have a weird looking console that can adequately cool the innards and stay as quiet as possible than fancy looking design that sounds like a jet engine. For the first time yesterday my partner commented how loud my PS4 Pro got and i'm more than happy to see this machine retired in favour of PS5.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So how many Mics are there and where are they located, one is know, others not so much. Aside from that, is this some Elite type controller or standard?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Being closer than Kinect should help; but it's gonna boil down to the quality of the mic array and the processor behind it.

If you've ever been in corporate meeting rooms with various conferencing tech, you'll know that the quality can vary wildly lol

hunthunt

Banned
So cool.

Btw the touchpad thingy looks like a lid to me, probably is nothing but wouldn't be funny if it was a cover for a small lcd screen? :messenger_fire:

DrAspirino

Banned
Yeah Kinect did this and it was shit. Just buy a headset.
....and just like kinect, it will be flooded with screaming brats on multiplayer multiplatform games.

Whether any of us buys a PS5 or a XSX, we'll have to deal with that nuisance on multiplayer multiplats, even if we use headsets (I, for one, prefer my headset over a microphone array).

Last edited:

ZehDon

Advanced haptics, new design, mic array, noise cancelling... either the build quality is going to be terrible, or we need to brace for expensive PS5 controllers.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Advanced haptics, new design, mic array, noise cancelling... either the build quality is going to be terrible, or we need to brace for expensive PS5 controllers.

Or, it is 2020 near 2021 when this releases and (6-7 years after the DS4 was introduced) this is adding “only” a microphone array (noise cancelling is par for the course with such a solution and a god deal of it is software not just custom or commodity HW) and haptic feedback is something that should fit around the price of DS4 / Joycon now. I think it will have more than decent build quality and a price close to the DS4 of today.

Last edited:

onQ123

They did it with PSEye on PS3 in 2007 why do people think this will be expensive?

https://www.gamesradar.com/playstation-eye-its-the-mic-that-matters/

Dr. Richard Marks, the man behind the PS3's upcoming Eye camera, says that the device's most important feature is its background noise-reducing microphone.

Speaking to Level Up the good doctor said, "The hands-free voice input this enables may be the single most important feature of PlayStation Eye. Previously, the only way to get clean voice data was using a headset worn by the player; now, without wearing a headset, players will be able to talk freely.

"The device is especially good at removing ambient sounds like traffic and wind noises from outside, the whirring of fans, etc. Also, there is special processing to remove the game sounds generated by the PS3 itself."
Sony-PlayStation-3-Eye.png

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
On the plus side, more criminal activity we be caught on mic by accident as many won't turn off the mic.

zeorhymer

Oh yay. I can now have a dedicated mic and free up the jack for good headphones. The question will be: how good is the mic?

Nice find OP! I can’t wait to see the patented “PlayStation Assist” feature as well. Seems like they used similar tech to an echo dot.

onQ123

Arguably the most underappreciated piece of SONY hardware EVER.

Before Kinect came along this was one of the most used cameras in the computer vision scene because it can track up to 180fps I used to do tracking tests with it but never really made anything with it

fersnake

i wanna know how noisy its gonna be having the mic attached to the pad. i know its not the same but my friend hear my mechanical keyboard and the mic its on my headset tho.

Was listening to the kinda funny games podcast. The were doing a break down of the controller and there thoughts. Greg Miller brought up a great point that i completely forgot about based on a Patron submitted question. Sony filed a patent a while back with voice control and "Alexa" type functionality. If this is indeed in the PS5 with its percieved snappyness... that actually might be a game changer. Like you could be like yo Playstation create a party, invite bob fred and joe, launch COD start multiplayer match making. It seems like an revolution to what MS was trying to do with Kinetic in a good way. Im pumped about this actually.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't actually use a headset due to my preference for Surround Sound

I usually just use the Camera mic.
This makes perfect sense to me

longdi

Banned
Wow, but why? I am legit concerned now.

Why do so much in a controller? To most gamers, it is just a bread and butter item and thrown about at the end of a session. What about PS6 and so forth, will these become standards in Sony ecosystem?

And what about the battery life, anc drinks battery juice.

Seems clearer and clear, Mark Sony choose to give up a big CU part and spent that on ancillaries?

Last edited:
Wow, but why? I am legit concerned now.

Why do so much in a controller? To most gamers, it is just a bread and butter item and thrown about at the end of a session. What about PS6 and so forth, will these become standards in Sony ecosystem?

And what about the battery life, anc drinks battery juice.

Seems clearer and clear, Mark Sony choose to give up a big CU part and spent that on ancillaries?
I mean in the era of diminishing returns how do you sell the next generation? Switch was able to do it with innovation why not Sony? Everything they have announced thus far has been positive. If they give up a little on the top end to present a more immerse experience with QoL advances seems like win win no?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I hope there's a fast way to mute/unmute it. Like quickly double pressing the touch pad or something.

Top Bottom