• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lords of The Rings: Rings of Power Official Teaser Trailer

sol_bad

Nice way to side step my questions and observations.

As for getting angry about Amazon creating new stories, didn't Tolkien also say he is happy for people create new things with paint, music and drama?

BigBooper

Nice way to side step my questions and observations.

As for getting angry about Amazon creating new stories, didn't Tolkien also say he is happy for people create new things with paint, music and drama?
You just going to keep trying to gatcha people by referencing fourth hand+ information?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I hope the show will be good. Judging by the trailer, it probably won't be. I hope the show will be better.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Seems like Amazon should just fast track it to the Hobbit ASAP. 1 season of this prequel stuff, get straight to Isildur and the great war versus Sauron, then hit the Hobbit and then the Fellowship.

If this show tanks I wonder how quickly they can move on to the actual books.

AJUMP23

Seems like Amazon should just fast track it to the Hobbit ASAP. 1 season of this prequel stuff, get straight to Isildur and the great war versus Sauron, then hit the Hobbit and then the Fellowship.

If this show tanks I wonder how quickly they can move on to the actual books.
They cannot do the hobbit.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
So Tolkien never described his characters. Tolkien left those details to the readers and readers can picture the characters however they want?

Ted Nasmith envisioned those characters in his mind's eye, that's his version of the characters / creatures. Another artist will have another interpretation.

Even LOTRO allows people to change skin colour and I never saw anyone up in arms about that.
Tolkien did describe characters, but in the material they have access to not there. There are other sources that do describe the characters in detail but they can't draw material from it.

sol_bad

Tolkien did describe characters, but in the material they have access to not there. There are other sources that do describe the characters in detail but they can't draw material from it.

Entire races or just a few characters? I mentioned that LOTRO allows skin colour changes and there no uproar over this. LOTRO dictates skin colour choices based on geographical location. Is there anything in the texts that does the same?

T TaylorSwiftFan I tried reading LOTR and gave up before finishing 100 pages, maybe even 50 pages. Tolkien was way too descriptive about the world.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Entire races or just a few characters? I mentioned that LOTRO allows skin colour changes and there no uproar over this. LOTRO dictates skin colour choices based on geographical location. Is there anything in the texts that does the same?

T TaylorSwiftFan I tried reading LOTR and gave up before finishing 100 pages, maybe even 50 pages. Tolkien was way too descriptive about the world.

Sure. In the appendices he goes into all sorts of details. He's most descriptive about Hobbits and what the men of Rohan and Gondor look like. Elves and dwarves he doesn't give too much detail, oddly enough. In terms of physical details, he mostly describes the different hues of Elves hair when identifying different elvish ethnic groups. I don't recall elvish or dwarvish skin tone being described.

With regards to human tones, he mostly either uses "fair" or "swarthy" when describing human tones.

Tams

If your beef with this is because of wokism or beards or some shit, then you shouldn't really be interested in this in the first place and you're just setting yourself up for some obvious disappointment.

Let it go.

Legitimate criticism will be moreso about whether or not the plot is captivating or original enough, not about how accurately it reflects Tolkien's works.
No.

We shouldn't just ignore this. Those very things are affecting accuracy and cohesion.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Came across this snippet from Peter Jackson, in the YouTube comments:

wPHeCCo.png

Tams

LOTRO is an MMO game. Decorating (yes, the skin colour of your character is decoration) is an intrinsic part of the experience.

Films and TV are telling you stories, not trying to make you actually feel part of their worlds.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't think you should try and translate and project your thoughts into someone you don't even know.

Not my thoughts. You can rightly guess what Tolkien and his son would have thought of this.

In a letter Tolkien once wrote regarding a screenplay for a LOTR adaptation, he ripped it apart for not being true to his vision. At one point he states the screenplay has the seasons all wrong and the world is set in the Northern Hemisphere and should reflect that setting

"The Lord of the Rings may be a 'fairy-story', but it takes place in the Northern hemisphere of this earth: miles are miles, days are days, ..."

That's just one criticism he had of the changes the screenplay made to his book with something minor regarding the seasons. If you really want to read the whole letter, it's letter 210.

In terms of Christopher, take a look at his comments on Jackson's LOTR adaptation. He absolutely hated it and thought it butchered his father's work.

Based on the above, I think I can correctly say both Tolkien and his son would have hated what Amazon is doing.

IIRC Tolkien was less open to adaptations and alterations as he got older and wrote more stuff.

Christopher Tolkien's opinion on the movies is exaggerated by the Internet. In 2001 he did not disapprove of them. In 2012, he said the book was eviscerated to make an action movie for 15-25 year olds, which is correct.
He then added some words about commercialization, which clickbait sites merge with the action movies quote. However, this was in the context of the estate clashing with Saul Zaentz over mishandling of the rights.

Sure. In the appendices he goes into all sorts of details. He's most descriptive about Hobbits and what the men of Rohan and Gondor look like. Elves and dwarves he doesn't give too much detail, oddly enough. In terms of physical details, he mostly describes the different hues of Elves hair when identifying different elvish ethnic groups. I don't recall elvish or dwarvish skin tone being described.

With regards to human tones, he mostly either uses "fair" or "swarthy" when describing human tones.
Actually he did describe the Noldor as all being fair with dark hair and grey eyes, except for the house of Finarfin. The Vanyar were all blonde so safe to assume they were fair skin. Not a lot of description of the Teleri other than some of them have silver hair.

The only race that I know were described as having dark skin are humans like the Haradrim.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
That's how descriptions via exception work. If everyone is NOT described via skin color but one specific person IS described as dark skinned, then it is fair to assume the rest are light skinned. Just like the one really tall guy in a group, the really old guy, the only person with a limp, etc. It is only when there is a wide variety of options that things are well detailed, like hair or eye color amongst caucasians. I doubt writers in asia spend a lot of time describing long straight dark hair and dark brown eyes because that is the default appearance.

Amazon unlisted this "superfans" review, I wonder why... :messenger_winking_tongue:

It's a generation of people who can't relate to anything unless it exactly like them and that's why everything sucks now and everyone can't take anything because they don't have any ability to realize that the world doesn't revolve around them. It's fucking lord of the rings. It's not about you. Just be the best person that you can be and don't force everyone to suck your ass.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's a generation of people who can't relate to anything unless it exactly like them and that's why everything sucks now and everyone can't take anything because they don't have any ability to realize that the world doesn't revolve around them. It's fucking lord of the rings. It's not about you. Just be the best person that you can be and don't force everyone to suck your ass.
That's just a talking point that is kinda hard to refute without sounding a bit like an ass. When paired with "that's your white privilege speaking" if you flip the comparison around (white person liking black media for example) it basically kills any debate or discussion.

Darryl

Banned
I don't think anyone would care if there were minority leading characters in this story. It's ridiculous to think there wouldn't be nowadays. It's just a glaring red flag that the creators of the series believe they can justify the entire existence of the series on that merit alone. They're inclusive, therefore their "heart is in the right place". They're taking advantage of our collective desire to help the weak and excluded by prompting us to have empathy for a cynic corporate cash grab. They're moral brood parasites.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Every Episode Of Amazon’s ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Show Reportedly Costs More Than $50 Million​

It was all of yesterday when we were marveling at Netflix spending $30 million per episode for Stranger Things season four. “Hold my mead,” says Lord of the Rings.

Variety confirmed that the first season of Prime Video’s upcoming The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power will be eight episodes long with a budget of $465 million.
That’s $58 million PER EPISODE. Two episodes of the Lord of the Rings show will cost more than the entire eight-episode final season of Game of Thrones.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

Every Episode Of Amazon’s ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Show Reportedly Costs More Than $50 Million​

It was all of yesterday when we were marveling at Netflix spending $30 million per episode for Stranger Things season four. “Hold my mead,” says Lord of the Rings.

Variety confirmed that the first season of Prime Video’s upcoming The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power will be eight episodes long with a budget of $465 million.
That’s $58 million PER EPISODE. Two episodes of the Lord of the Rings show will cost more than the entire eight-episode final season of Game of Thrones.

Money Burn GIF by nog

Pilgrimzero

having recently re-read the lotr books, im going to commit heresy and say: the movies are better.

Why?

Because a lot of stuff is glossed over. think like where Aragorn gets the undead army. in the movie its a killer sceene. in the book its "Aragorn went into the mountain and the dead exited with him." thats it. a lot of the battles are the same way. "and they fought and it was bloody and hard fighting and the heros won".

Now, im not saying the books arent good. i love them. i just find the movies more entertaining.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
No TV is worth this much. WTF are these people doing?

Stranger things in particular. Are they literally rebuilding an 80s theme park from scratch or something?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Laundering of the Blings.

All that money and watch it turn to shit anyways. At least that's my bet

FunkMiller

That's a fucking insane amount of money, and entirely unnecessary.

The whole LotR trilogy cost a bit under 500 million dollars, adjusted for inflation. This is costing almost the same, for one fucking season of TV, that's an hour shorter overall.

sol_bad

If consumers want and studios want to offer theatrical movie quality shows than the cost isn't overkill. It costs about 150 million to make a typical 2 hour big budget film. I'd say 50 million for an hour of footage is still cheap.
:)

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned

Kev Kev

i cant believe we are a couple months away from a lotr series set in the second age. smh i genuinely thought this would never happen. reading the silmarillion (nasmith illustrated version) and unfinished tales remains some of my favorite experiences in a fantasy setting. there are so many good stories in there. and they are going with one of the best parts in all of tolkien lore. yessssssss!

what do the kids say....? oh right LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO

7bf0b8b9b7b29446e7bb353855e21499d6bb8971.gif

AJUMP23

i cant believe we are a couple months away from a lotr series set in the second age. smh i genuinely thought this would never happen. reading the silmarillion (nasmith illustrated version) and unfinished tales remains some of my favorite experiences in a fantasy setting. there are so many good stories in there. and they are going with one of the best parts in all of tolkien lore. yessssssss!

Try not to get your hopes too high. But I too am looking forward to it.

Kev Kev

Amazon promoting a LOTR series with sex and nudity with a commercial featuring kids.
according to a vanity fair interview back in february, there wont be any sex or nudity. co-showrunner patrick mckay said the show will be "for everyone, for kids who are 11, 12 and 13"

"So will there be Westerosi levels of violence and sex in Amazon’s Middle-earth? In short, no. McKay says the goal was “to make a show for everyone, for kids who are 11, 12, and 13, even though sometimes they might have to pull the blanket up over their eyes if it’s a little too scary. We talked about the tone in Tolkien’s books. This is material that is sometimes scary—and sometimes very intense, sometimes quite political, sometimes quite sophisticated—but it’s also heartwarming and life-affirming and optimistic. It’s about friendship and it’s about brotherhood and underdogs overcoming great darkness.”"

It’s about time New Zealand brought out a new tourism video.
Just a 2 hour flight to the south island and this is the kind of stuff you see around every corner. It truly is a stunningly beautiful country

Planning another trip down south now that its snowing. Haven't been to the ski fields yet.

FB-IMG-1655775072686.jpg

BTW I shot this on my Sony camera with 14mm wide angle Sigma prime lens ;)

Last edited:

Are you being sarcastic here? I assume you are since Amazon does not have access to the stories in the Silmarillion.

Top Bottom