• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lords of The Rings: Rings of Power Official Teaser Trailer

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
We'll see, the teaser has the same feel as the LOTR Peter Jackson films, at a minimum I'm expecting it to be far far better than the Hobbit films.

I know that isn't saying much but the Hobbit films are really bad and even if this series is a tiny bit better, it's a win. But I'm expecting it to be far better. Not as good as the LOTR movies though.

You certainly have a lot of faith. What makes you think it'll be better than the Hobbit trilogy?

It's not based on the books like the Hobbit trilogy, and the experience of the writers for a series of this scope is a huge red flag. It'll be a miracle if it ends up being better than the Hobbit trilogy.

Saber

Gold Member
It looks generic as fuck. The only thing that made me think of LoD are the visuals(which are kinda nice). Cast its pretty terrible looking, dunno if its LoD or a teenage dark movie wannabe.

sol_bad

You certainly have a lot of faith. What makes you think it'll be better than the Hobbit trilogy?

It's not based on the books like the Hobbit trilogy, and the experience of the writers for a series of this scope is a huge red flag. It'll be a miracle if it ends up being better than the Hobbit trilogy.

I just generally have a positive outlook on things as much as possible. This show could turn out to be a pos but I'll stay optimistic. I was optimistic about Boba Fett as well but that turned out to be primarily a turd.
:(

Last edited:

thefool

Its important to note this controversy isn't new. It was a worry back then too. The difference was the reverence Jackson had for Tolkien.

Jackson himself acknowledged the books’ religious themes, commenting, "I’m not a Catholic, so I didn’t put any of that personally into the film on my behalf, but I certainly am aware that there were certain [religious] things that Tolkien was thinking of… We made a real decision at the beginning that we weren’t going to introduce any new themes of our own into The Lord of the Rings. We were just going to make a film based upon what clearly Tolkien was passionate about."

“We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren’t going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies. What we were trying to do was to analyze what was important to Tolkien and to try to honor that. In a way, we were trying to make these films for him, not for ourselves.”

Cringy as fuck. Also, why are all the comments below in Russian?

All the online trolls, supremacists, misogynists, racists and GAF members have converged into the unholy forces of Mordor in order to express their discontent:

49RSXXm.jpg

Tolkien is beloved by many fans worldwide, this is what they get from removing the dislikes. Soon they'll have to remove the comments too :messenger_winking:

Fbh

The budget definitely shows, and I'm still willing to give this a chance.
But that trailer wasn't really hype. Looked kinda generic and gave me an awkward "young adult" novel vibe.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It looks way too clean, for one. Everyone and everything looks pristine, which is just absurd.

The original trilogy was grimy, gritty, muddy and dirty.
Yeah, there is one scene in the trailer with a dude with his hair perfectly set and hair sprayed into place, like he just came out of the makeup chair. Like WTF dude, you don't belong in this world/time/dimension.

Kimahri

Banned
I think what ruins it for me are two things. First is that girl right at the beginning. She looks like she's on a theatre stage in a production of annie or something. Smooth and fake.

Second is whoever they chose to play Elrond, and whoever styled his hait in that ridiculous hairspray way. To go from Hugo Weaving to that...

8bitpill

Just watched it since I got in front of my computer this morning.

Looks overly polished, feels like it's aiming for a younger audience, and has the Hobbit Trilogy feel.

I know this is a snip of what will be there, but with the photos and this, this is just a guess but their focus just comes off like they're reaching for a younger audience that don't or won't care about this series.

When they nixed Tom Shippey ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Shippey ) from the show in 2020, I didn't have high hopes for it.

It wouldn't be a surprise if they're looking at the internet cries and go back for re shoots within the next six months.

GeekyDad

That budget!

After watching Wheel of Time, this looks a hundred million times better! Will watch!

The budget definitely shows, and I'm still willing to give this a chance.
But that trailer wasn't really hype. Looked kinda generic and gave me an awkward "young adult" novel vibe.
In all seriousness, I'd love to read your feedback if you guys do end up watching it.

I liked the trailer. Felt like LOTR films.

I still don't really know what it's about but it looks like they took from the Appendices and some from the history they spoke of in the movies.
If there's references to The Silmarillion, then that changes everything. I'd check that out.

In all seriousness, I'd love to read your feedback if you guys do end up watching it.

If there's references to The Silmarillion, then that changes everything. I'd check that out.

What was the extent of Amazon's purchase of the tv rights? Does it include everything or is it limited to TLOR? If it's the latter than Silmarillion cannot be referenced.

Fbh

I'll definitely watch at least the first episode, my sister and her husband are big LOTR fans and aren't as critical of these things, so I'll probably meet up with them for some pízza + beer and this.

I was going to say something like this too. It is just lacking… something.

Not sure what it is, it is almost like the world doesn’t feel real. Not sure what I even mean.

It's just random epic shots, nothing that says "these are the characters that will take you on a journey". Nothing to latch on to and form an attachment.
The Hobbit's first teaser introduced the entire company before getting to the cool shit.
LOTR's first teaser was a behind-the-scenes look followed by a bit of action stuff (some of which never made it to the final movies). The second teaser started with that epic action but ended with the iconic Fellowship going past the camera shot.

It strikes me now that both trilogies had better internet marketing that this show. I still remember the day they revealed the dwarves. Amazon is hiding the show like it's the Roswell corpses. There's no reason for this other than exec paranoia. There is still no official confirmation that Weta Workshop is involved, which is just fucking retarded at this stage.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Reactions here are funny because most of them reflect mine. I felt nothing watching this trailer, it was completely bland. I'm a LOTR fan BTW.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
. There is still no official confirmation that Weta Workshop is involved, which is just fucking retarded at this stage.

I just assumed they were involved. The fact it hasn't been confirmed makes me think they're probably not involved.

Why wouldn't Amazon just say if they're involved or not? Bizarre decision.

I just assumed they were involved. The fact it hasn't been confirmed makes me think they're probably not involved.

Why wouldn't Amazon just say if they're involved or not? Bizarre decision.
Because they're that secretive about the show.
They did not confirm Weta Digital either, but we know they're on the show because their managers highlighted it as one of big challenges while working from home.

I'm convinced the Workshop is also on it but they're under some sort of gag order:
mxPhlOp.png

I think it will be just like the Disney stuff. Somewhere between bad and mediocre. It will be moderately successful, but it won't be the next GoT.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Because they're that secretive about the show.
They did not confirm Weta Digital either, but we know they're on the show because their managers highlighted it as one of big challenges while working from home.

I'm convinced the Workshop is also on it but they're under some sort of gag order:
mxPhlOp.png

If they were under an NDA, chances are they wouldn't have commented to some random Twitter user anything remotely related to the show IMO.

Even if Weta is involved, I think the series is going to need more help than just some cool looking armor and orcs. :messenger_neutral:

Top Bottom