• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

Only 37% of US viewers finished watching Rings of Power

I stopped during the 7th episode because I just couldn't force myself to watch anymore.
I stopped after episode 3 or 4. Star Wars has taught me to try and just let these things go when it's clearly not made for me anymore.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I stopped during the 7th episode because I just couldn't force myself to watch anymore.
Ok, now we have a great survey telling us 63% of Americans are racist and misogynist people…

/s

Tams

I finished it but only because I couldn't help but watch the train wreck.

But it still makes me feel dirty that I gave Amazon a 'complete' statistic; do I won't be watching season 2 at all. Not sure I need the cringe in my life anyway.

Chiggs

I can't stop laughing at what a failure Rings of Power was. Now we get confirmation that Amazon was covering it all up?

Even better!

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Good. They should stick with their vision. Those who have made up their mind to love it or hate it will not be swayed by any changes made now. It's obvious they've done their homework on the lore and I'm excited to see what direction they take with the material.

But their vision is what's causing the show to fail. And if their interpretation of the lore is indicative of their 'homework' as you put it, then it's a woeful, subpar and amateurish submission. I'm glad that you enjoy the show, but it could have been so much better.

Artoris

Gold Member

Good. They should stick with their vision. Those who have made up their mind to love it or hate it will not be swayed by any changes made now. It's obvious they've done their homework on the lore and I'm excited to see what direction they take with the material.
Anyone who fucks with what Tolkien wrote will fail, and I see no point in trying it again

Madflavor

[/URL]

A completion rate of 60% is considered acceptable but not good by most streaming services. 50% completion rate from my understanding is bad, or "in the red" as I've been told. The goal of course is to keep viewers invested and returning, so when the next Season airs, you have strong viewership. So if only half of your subscribers who started the show ended up finishing it to completion, then how many of the other half who didn't will return for Season 2? There in lies the concern.

A 37% completion rate is quite terrible and hugely concerning. This isn't some random show. Rings of Power is supposed to be Amazon's flagship series. A series that they spent an absurd amount of money on. If only 1/3rd of the audience of Rings of Power managed to get through it, then Rings of Power is in serious fucking trouble. "Sticking with their vision" is going to guarantee further loss of viewership, which will lead to smaller budgets and less episodes. Whatever roadmap that have planned out will likely get gutted. If you like this show, you should actually be hoping for course corrections and the showrunners looking to improve what didn't work in Season 1.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

They may know the lore but what if they have misinterpreted it. Or try applying modern ideology to ancient themes.

Fbh

Oh no am I now considered a super fan because I somehow actually sat through it all ?

That works if your show is relatively cheap to make or if the detractors are a small vocal minority.
Not when you are making one of the most expensive shows on TV and over 60% of the audience didn't even bother to finish watching the first season

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
[/URL]

They have *not* done their homework on lore and continuously shit on it at every turn they can. They can stick to their vision, but their vision is objectively shit.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
A completion rate of 60% is considered acceptable but not good by most streaming services. 50% completion rate from my understanding is bad, or "in the red" as I've been told. The goal of course is to keep viewers invested and returning, so when the next Season airs, you have strong viewership. So if only half of your subscribers who started the show ended up finishing it to completion, then how many of the other half who didn't will return for Season 2? There in lies the concern.

A 37% completion rate is quite terrible and hugely concerning. This isn't some random show. Rings of Power is supposed to be Amazon's flagship series. A series that they spent an absurd amount of money on. If only 1/3rd of the audience of Rings of Power managed to get through it, then Rings of Power is in serious fucking trouble. "Sticking with their vision" is going to guarantee further loss of viewership, which will lead to smaller budgets and less episodes. Whatever roadmap that have planned out will likely get gutted. If you like this show, you should actually be hoping for course corrections and the showrunners looking to improve what didn't work in Season 1.

Back when I played MMO's regularly, this is what got me about MMO fans who enjoyed hugely disliked updates or expansions and the devs who decided to reject the criticisms while embracing the minority who enjoyed it. "If you don't like it quit" was the common sentiment.

Well, yea, of course we're going to quit once we learn that no course correction will take place. Just know that as we leave this game you adore will die. And they did. Every single time.

37% seems awfully high. The American TV watcher's tolerance for dreck is a lot higher than I could have anticipated.

Amazon is willing to throw billions at this TV series but they closed down British bookseller The Book Depository after more than 20 years. Fuck this timeline TBH

Last edited:

You clearly haven’t read Tolkien if you think that they’ve done their homework on the lore.

phaedrus

Oh no am I now considered a super fan because I somehow actually sat through it all ?
mom son GIF

Tams

There's almost nothing worth saving, so the next season ain't going to make it a good show. And in all probability, it'll just get worse as they double-down.

The completion metrics are terrible, inside and outside the US. And I wonder how many of us suffered through the whole thing but certainly won't be back for more.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Kev Kev

Geez, some of you guys really hate this show. Not sure how to respond to all those replies, all I can say is I just really enjoyed season 1 and I'm looking forward to more. Sorry if that bothers some of you.

I did come across an interesting rumor about Sauron/Charlie Vickers recently, in regards to season 2...

The general thought amongst the community is that Halbrand will still be in the show somehow, so Vickers can still be himself, and the other may be Annatar. I didn't care for how they rushed Halbrand through Numenor and Eregion, so perhaps they can have Annatar revisit these cities in season 2, showing how he corrupted leadership and caused chaos within the ranks. If the other isn't Annatar, then it could just be another disguise that serves the same purpose, which would be perfectly fine.

At any rate, this was was on the posts in response and I thought some of you might get a kick out of it...

FtS43_eXsAAvR_n

Last edited:

Tams

Geez, some of you guys really hate this show. Not sure how to respond to all those replies, all I can say is I just really enjoyed season 1 and I'm looking forward to more. Sorry if that bothers some of you.

I did come across an interesting rumor about Sauron/Charlie Vickers recently, in regards to season 2...

The general thought amongst the community is that Halbrand will still be in the show somehow, so Vickers can still be himself, and the other may be Annatar. I didn't care for how they rushed Halbrand through Numenor and Eregion, so perhaps they can have Annatar revisit these cities in season 2, showing how he corrupted leadership and caused chaos within the ranks. If the other isn't Annatar, then it could just be another disguise that serves the same purpose, which would be perfectly fine.

At any rate, this was was on the posts in response and I thought some of you might get a kick out of it...

FtS43_eXsAAvR_n

Because it's shit.

JCK75

37% seems awfully high. The American TV watcher's tolerance for dreck is a lot higher than I could have anticipated.

Amazon is willing to throw billions at this TV series but they closed down British bookseller The Book Depository after more than 20 years. Fuck this timeline TBH

I heard somewhere they will be reopening it under the rings of power writers leadership and be rebranded as the Book Suppository.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

FtS43_eXsAAvR_n

Only one here who seems offended is you, mate.

Madflavor

I replied to you in what I think was an informed and respectful take on your statement that you hope that they stick to their vision, and I explained why that would be a bad thing. If you hope to see a full 5 seasons of their uncompromising vision, then you should understand why a 37% completion rate for the most expensive show ever made, is very bad news for the show.

I enjoyed Man of Steel. But a lot of people didn’t and divisive word of mouth hurt it at the box office. Because of this, despite my enjoyment of the film, I never got a Man of Steel 2.

“The only opinion that matters is yours” isn’t always true. If you desire a long and successful run of a show or film series, to an extent you should care about how it’s being received by others.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
There's almost nothing worth saving, so the next season ain't going to make it a good show. And in all probability, it'll just get worse as they double-down.

The completion metrics are terrible, inside and outside the US. And I wonder how many of us suffered through the whole thing but certainly won't be back for more.

I decided to finish it because it wouldn't be fair to pass judgement otherwise.

My final conclusion was it's dire. Far worse than I could have expected. I won't be watching season 2.

Kev Kev

I replied to you in what I think was an informed and respectful take on your statement that you hope that they stick to their vision, and I explained why that would be a bad thing. If you hope to see a full 5 seasons of their uncompromising vision, then you should understand why a 37% completion rate for the most expensive show ever made, is very bad news for the show.

I enjoyed Man of Steel. But a lot of people didn’t and divisive word of mouth hurt it at the box office. Because of this, despite my enjoyment of the film, I never got a Man of Steel 2.

“The only opinion that matters is yours” isn’t always true. If you desire a long and successful run of a show or film series, to an extent you should care about how it’s being received by others.
So I'm not allowed to just like the show, I have to be concerned if everyone else likes the show too? No thanks, I'll pass.

Last edited:

Madflavor

So I'm not allowed to just like the show, I have to be concerned if everyone else likes the show too? No thanks, I'll pass.

I didn’t say you weren’t allowed to like the show. I said if you want the show to continue and have a long and successful run with their vision for the story uncompromised, you should also care to an extent how the show is being received as a whole. Because if reception continues to be poor, and less people are watching it, it’s probably going to get cancelled or they’ll end up compromising their vision for a quicker end to the show instead of all 5 Seasons.

Kev Kev

I didn’t say you weren’t allowed to like the show. I said if you want the show to continue and have a long and successful run with their vision for the story uncompromised, you should also care to an extent how the show is being received as a whole. Because if reception continues to be poor, and less people are watching it, it’s probably going to get cancelled or they’ll end up compromising their vision for a quicker end to the show instead of all 5 Seasons.
Again, no thanks. All that matters to me is how much I am enjoying the show. If it gets canceled, I'll just move on with my life.

Madflavor

Again, no thanks. All that matters to me is how much I am enjoying the show. If it gets canceled, I'll just move on with my life.

Well I suppose it’s a good thing you don’t like the show enough to care if it gets cancelled. That’s definitely a mark of quality for a show, when it’s fans feel indifferent about it getting cancelled.

Fake

Is funny those days when a terrible series/movie got bad receive from the public now people draw the 'hate' card.

When a movie is good, we expect the sequel to be better. I don't remember calling people like me that find Spider-man 3, Iron man 3 and Caribian Pirate 3 horrible a hater.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I'm happy you enjoy it. I wish I did. I'm a little envious actually.

Artoris

Gold Member
Here's my collection...
mwo7C0g.jpg

I read them all, except for The History of Middle Earth one (also missing volumes 2 and 3 but whatever), and I am perfectly happy with The Rings of Power adaption.
But surely then you can understand why using the original material would have been better

Kev Kev

But surely then you can understand why using the original material would have been better
I like what they have done with the material they have available to them. It's obvious they consulted experts with important plot points and details that they got right. There is a lot they could have done better and a lot they just got plain wrong, but I still really enjoyed what they did.

Rising_Hei

Haven't been following this thread, since I got back into my account after almost 10 years, but, all I have to say about this show is:

Some parts of it felt mediocre to me, and too forced (like how Sauron forges the rings), but, I liked, for example, how the show portrayed Mordor coming into existence, and the political aspect... To me, it does many things right, and some terrible things; but one expects more of a show with "Lord of the Rings". I do hope that it improves with the next season :)

Artoris

Gold Member
I like what they have done with the material they have available to them. It's obvious they consulted experts with important plot points and details that they got right. There is a lot they could have done better and a lot they just got plain wrong, but I still really enjoyed what they did.
I think it was ok, but think how much better it could have been if they had done a full episode on war of wrath or The Nirnaeth Arnoediad

Top Bottom