• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum Review Thread

skit_data

Watched Skillups review. Simply amazing.
I saw someone comment on his review something about surely the devs must’ve had some pretty strong gameplay ideas to choose such an odd character and setting but no, it’s simply just really bad on every level. Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Last edited:

Moses85

Omg
Poor developers :(
Poor developers?

Bunch of non talented amateurs.

Benedict Cumberbatch Drinking GIF

What a waste of time, energy and co2

dEvAnGeL

This probably cost millions to develop. I wonder why was this greenlit in the first place. The premise seemed awful. Play as one of the most hated characters of the LOTR IP.

justonething

Jada's BFF
The devs releasing this in this period where competition is high is a feature not a bug. They want to blame the competition for their failure.

Ozriel

M$FT
That's your first take,really?.......how about poor customers,this piece of shit is full price with a bunch of egregious dlc's.Poor developers my arse,they all got paid.

Very high chance of layoffs. And for most of them, They’d just be making the game their higher ups told them to make.

It’s like blaming rank and file Facebook/Meta employees for the state of Zuckerberg’s Metaverse disaster.

This bad and it still received 2. How bad a game must be to receive 1?
I think a "1" makes it look like theyre shitting on it, without it being legitimately critical. Whereas a "2" looks more like 'yeah they actually played it and this is their professional judgement".

Just like how a 10/10 always looks like praise + preconceived notions (Zelda...)

Roufianos

Have you seen it?
Looks ancient, bad art direction, and gameplay seems boring.
Plus: are there really people who thought that playing Gollum would be fun?
I'm not questioning the reviews, I'm merely pondering how they managed to serve up such a shit game.

How is it even possible to release such a terrible game? Surely when you are working on something for so long there would be a point when you say "this isn't very good"?

How is it even possible to release such a terrible game? Surely when you are working on something for so long there would be a point when you say "this isn't very good"?
Because people in charge sometimes don't give a fuck about quality.
Also this game was in development for six years, so they already spend quite a bit of money on it and at one point you just have to release it, no matter how awful it is.

Drake

I mean you could tell from the previews that this game was trash. You couldn't pay me to play this let alone actually giving them my hard earned money.

skyfall

Something went wrong here. It's not even so much that the game is bad, but it's straight up unfinished. The game should be pulled, they shouldnt be allowed to sell people this

I am genuinely sad that the game turned out to be such a disaster because I was really looking forward to playing a Lord of the Rings game based around Gollum because it has never been done before (at least to my knowledge).

You know a game is absolutely atrocious if a review mentions having more than 100 crashes while playing it on a console. I dread to think what it must be like on PC because the footage I've seen seems to show a game that runs with the usual shader compilation and traversal stuttering that Unreal Engine 4 has become infamous for.

_Ex_

"The Lord of the Rings: Gollum could have ushered in a new era of The Lord of the Rings-based games. One that had the daring to fill in Tolkien’s gaps, but still showed respect for the source material. The Lord of the Rings: Gollum isn’t that game. While the story is compelling with a great performance from Smeagol/Gollum, the remainder of the game is a woeful mess. While Daedalic’s vision for Middle-earth is filled with artistic beauty, it’s altogether let down by a terrible technical presentation that’s far behind today’s standards. Ultimately, though, it’s the lack of polish and jankiness that is its undoing. From the myriad gameplay issues that bog down the simple mechanics to the mind-numbing crashes capable of hampering progression, there is little about The Lord of the Rings: Gollum that’s polished or enjoyable. The Lord of the Rings: Gollum crafts a compelling story around Gollum and Smeagol, but it fails to craft a polished, stable or enjoyable gameplay experience. Unfortunately, The Lord of the Rings: Gollum isn’t the Precious we’ve been searching for. 2/5"

Of all the myriad LotR characters a company could have made a game about, they chose Gollum. Not Gandalf, not Legolas, not Elrond... nah, Gollum! As if any player truly wishes to be Gollum, staring at his hideous emaciated deformed figure for hours on end. Daedalic you geniuses. :lollipop_confused:

Top Bottom