• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

What score do you think The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 10 -20%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 125 47.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sephimoth

they ran out of stock. I called at 9 AM on the day and no more copies until next week. If you didnt get shipped today you are fucked.
WTF! I haven't had a dispatch email either, ordered mine months ago. The Twitter rep has been replying to messages on Twitter throughout this evening they'll get it tomorrow

Last edited:

Yoboman

basically a non-issue.
you get a constant stream of fusion materials (but not enough that you can just use them without thinking), so after the first part, you will always have some weapons of good level just by mixing rusty weapons and monster parts.

takes a bit away from the resource management of botw, but I guess they went for a different feel
We will see. My issue with weapon durability was more that every weapon felt under developed and pointless rather than just having a mix of really good weapons

Maybe the experimentation with fusing can offset all of that though

R6Rider

Gold Member
We will see. My issue with weapon durability was more that every weapon felt under developed and pointless rather than just having a mix of really good weapons

Hearing things about weapons now feel useless unless you fuse them with something. Hopefully that's not the case.

Majukun

some weapons have some special abilities that get carried on the fused ones, but it's nothing that will impact too much combat, mainly some small things like better flurry rush, faster charged attacks, "conditional" higher damage , etc.
other than that, the weapons fit more or less in the same categories that botw already had as far as i can see.
also there are some rarer "named" weapons that i will not spoil, still not sure if they are a one off or they respawn..maybe with the blood moon.

MacReady13

I truly think gaming would move forward and Nintendo would have made so much more money if this new Zelda was on a subscription service. I mean seriously, who wants to pay full price for a mobile phone game?!

But in all seriousness, I cannot wait to finish work to play my physical edition of Zelda in what must be the greatest gaming franchise ever!?!

Majukun

Hearing things about weapons now feel useless unless you fuse them with something. Hopefully that's not the case.
it's true, past the tutorial you are always fusing weapons since base ones pales in terms of damage with fused ones (i mean it's a simple addition most of the times, so a base weapon fused with some monster parts will always be stronger than a base one

exception to the rule are named weapons, that have considerable base power, but then you have even more reason to fuse it with your best materials..and if you are like me never actually use them because you always save them for later until your finish the game XD

Last edited:

Pejo

Define classic Zelda to me. The definition seems to change every entry. Or did Link's Awakening not count for some reason?
You mean the remake to the 1993 Game Boy game with an awful art style? I mean I bought it and beat it again, but that's hardly a new mainline entry.

i mean nintendo is not really new to keeping multiple branches of their franchise alive, mario 2d/2.5 d/3d, metroid 2d and prime....
This is true, but their time table for that type of thing is suspect at best. I'd love a new top down Zelda more than you can believe.

Zelda had to die so Elden Ring could live.
200.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well damn. There goes any chance of ever getting a classic Zelda again. Sad day for me, but I'm happy for those that enjoy this new Minecraft Zelda formula.
TotK is direct sequel to BotW, once the story of that series over they will make new style of Zelda game, but there is always chance you would also hate that new style as well.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Seems I was a bit salty at first.
Actually went and checked out a proper review.
I take it back, seems it may be quite deserving of its 90+ score.
I don't know if I will get it, kinda want to play it at 60 FPS and at like 4k, maybe if emulators are stable.

Marvel14

Banned
The review explains why it got a 6. It's actually a thought out review with explanations of things.

Reviews are wholly subjective pieces. That's the entire point.

If the review was the worst written thing in the world, yet still gave the game a perfect score do you think people would be whining about having it removed form Metacritic?

This also shows how fucked up the review scale is for games.

-
In other news: Amazon has shipped my copy.
What are the substantive and thoughtful criticisms? I got "marketing was rubbish and annoyed me after 40 hours", "reminds me a lot of BOTW so if you didn't like that you won't like this" "controls are fiddly" "similar sized and complexity dungeons is heartbreaking" "there are too.many ways to solve puzzles which ruins dungeons " "bosses are an improvement but not quite at the level" "rewards are meaningless and I hate that this is not a traditional Zelda"

Anything else? It's mostly "I don't personally like these things " and very light on "here are the flaws in the gameplay that makes it a mediocre game" which is what a 6/10 review should be majoring on.

Last edited:
Well looks like I had 300 points from a previous purchase, so ended up being 66.99 digitally. Not bad. Would have payed the 69.99 +10% sales tax a retail store for the physical.
Does the standard edition physical come with anything though? Just the cart and case? No manual or poster or something?

You should've bought 2 vouchers for $100 and got Zelda and another game like pikmin 4 or whatever you're into

NanaMiku

I bought from Japanese account. Probably it was unlocked last night but I was so sleepy.

Played a session this morning. Pretty good so far!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought from Japanese account. Probably it was unlocked last night but I was so sleepy.

Played a session this morning. Pretty good so far!
Does it translate to English if that’s what your settings are?

anybody else going to the midnight launch in Nintendo NY? I'm in the 1-2am timeslot but I'm going to show up around 11
Do you get something special for attending? I’ve only seen footage of the store in NYC.

Last edited:
Because your interest is somewhere else.
I dont watch movies, because I cant stand the acting. But I watch documentaries and short videos too much, even though its still acting.

Your way of digesting medium is different than before. Maybe you got tired of these type of games, and they dont interest you that much anymore like it used to.
Well old zelda interested me alittle more, I could see the pacing and focus and process it better as a focused adventure.

When it went open world, From what I can see, it looks like not the same zelda of old in terms of focus, and looks like there could be some bloating and repetition that it didnt have before.

Last Zelda I played was twilight princess though. Which was a different experience I feel.

And that 6/10 review mirorred exactly my concerns unfortunately. I fear gamers are choosing "open ended gameplay" design at the sacrifice of creative cultivated content. The former promotes repetitve gameplay loops in practice.

feynoob

Well old zelda interested me alittle more, I could see the pacing and focus and process it better as a focused adventure.

When it went open world, From what I can see, it looks like not the same zelda of old in terms of focus, and looks like there could be some bloating and repetition that it didnt have before.

Last Zelda I played was twilight princess though. Which was a different experience I feel.

And that 6/10 review mirorred exactly my concerns unfortunately. I fear gamers are choosing "open ended gameplay" design at the sacrifice of creative cultivated content. The former promotes repetitve gameplay loops in practice.
Games evolve. I am just afraid that you are not keeping with current taste. That could be the reason why you having these thoughts.

My advice would be for you to enjoy it, and dont care about anything. Perfect score is meaningless. What matters is for you to enjoy and have fun.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Performance way betters after the patch

This game is so good I thinks I mights be in love. Controls are complication though and take abouts 5 hours to click in.

Games evolve. I am just afraid that you are not keeping with current taste. That could be the reason why you having these thoughts.

My advice would be for you to enjoy it, and dont care about anything. Perfect score is meaningless. What matters is for you to enjoy and have fun.
Well i fear it devolved, not evolved lol

Like most things in the entertainment industry recently.

The more people like a thing, the dumber it becomes to adapt to more tastes.

Last edited:
When I see BOTW or a this game that reviews so well. Im honestly looking for something to get me excited, but Im just not seeing anything...spectacular

Can someone please sell me on this? What is the experience?

I would normally get excited if I saw:

1. Badass combat

2. Great storytelling and quests

3. Great and ambitious presentation

Im not really seeing any of that with these recent open world zelda titles.

To me, it seems like its about just findibg items, wondering about. And ultimately most "adventures" conclude in combat. But the combat is okay looking.

Am I wrong? Sell me please I wanna play a good game but i dunno, reviewers and gaming trends these days seem to he more about "hey look no quest markers im choosing my own focus!" Than it is actual focus, pacing, storytelling, creative and varied quests etc.

Like im more of a witcher 3 guy for reference sake.

Same. I approach this as I did mgsv, a problem solving game. One puzzle, 50 ways to solve it. I guess its an immersive sim in a way where instead of stat checks or dialogue trees, its purely from your imagination of what is possible from the tools given.
And from reviews I read, there are side quests that are substantial but not really in the narrative sense like witcher 3 but more gameplay driven.

Has anyone read a review that discusses the Musical Quality / Tracks?

I loved BOTW's chill vibe, but I am hoping it consists of more new songs (if not all new songs).

Is that the case?

Dude its a Zelda review.. Cmon. Skyward Sword a 9.4-9.5 got 10's.
I think some reviewers are too scared to be the odd one out for saying one of the best games wasn't good. A score of 10 is a less risky move than a score of 8.
Let's see if they keep that same energy when Starfield is 30fps on Xbox.

seems like pretty good performance when there's no bugs in a gargantuan open world game with an incredibly complex crafting system
It's 30 with drops to 20. I get they are working on a console that powered like a mobile phone. It's more about reviewers than the game. I'm not a Nintendo person or a Zelda person, so my viewers on if it's a good game mean jack shit.

Zannegan

Granted, it's a spectrum not a dichotomy, and I'm not rushing out to buy Minecraft, personally because it's just too directionless; but wouldn't you say the latter typically promotes even MORE repetitive gameplay loops? At least with more open-ended gameplay, if worst comes to worst I can make my own fun, and I'm not railroaded into their "vision."

In my experience, linear "curated" gaming experiences change their scenery often and their gameplay rarely. You'll get a couple of standouts like the Portal Games and Platinum's stuff, but for the most part the variation comes from setting and story scenario. The typical A-to-Awesome roller coaster rides most devs put together are so monotonous.

At least in an open-ended experience I'm in charge if the pace and my approach. If I lack the creativity to make my own fun when I have so many systems and tools at my disposal, then shame on me.

Here's what I found about the musical score. Excited

Some music returns from Breath of the Wild, but we’re delighted that there are tons of new songs and arrangements in this sequel, some of which are utterly gorgeous and brought a tear to our eyes. It made coming to this new, bigger version of “home” that much more special.

Top Bottom