• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 : REMASTERED |OT| If somehow a tenner gave me a second chance at that moment... I would do it all over again

Flabagast

Is the dev commentary in the cutscenes of the main game interesting and insightful, or is it just them jerking off about how emotional and hard the story is ?

GymWolf

Love No Return.
The Lost Levels were amazing. I wish they were actually in the game.

Film grain is terrible. I can really see the difference between Native and 1440p with that shit disabled.
Are those levels just for exploration or they have full fledged new enemy encounters? (not new enemy types, just new encounters)

Last edited:
Are those levels just for exploration or they have full fledged new enemy encounters? (not new enemy types, just new encounters)

Also, how do i unlock the framerate in the fidelity mode? in game option or ps5 system options?

It's done in the PS5 video settings: you just have to enable both 120hz AND VRR

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's done in the PS5 video settings: you just have to enable both 120hz AND VRR
Sorry i'm reading the topic and i'm a bit confused, so there is a fidelity mode 30 fps, a fidelity mode 40fps locked and a fidelity mode with unlocked framerate?

How do i get the fidelity 40fps locked mode? it seems like the unlocked mode is worse than the locked one.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sorry i'm reading the topic and i'm a bit confused, so there is a fidelity mode 30 fps, a fidelity mode 40fps locked and a fidelity mode with unlocked framerate?

How do i get the fidelity 40fps locked mode? it seems like the unlocked mode is worse than the locked one.
2 modes.
quality and performance. 30 and 60.
with 120hz enabled in ps5 = 40 and 60.
With 120hz + vrr enabled in ps5 = both unlocked

SCB3

I got this pretty much for free with the PS Stars rewards so I'm excited to replay it soon, for how shit the story was, it was a fun game to play, plus the DLC looks interesting

I will say though, I thought this would be day and date on PC with this remaster

No Return needs music in the set up shop, or whatever it’s called in between rounds. I also wish that they changed the ambience, weather, time of day of each location and randomized it instead of using the same ones from the game.

Edit: Some encounters have fog that doesn’t seem to make a difference in how easily the enemies can spot you, I also had one with a red filter which just looked awful, why Naughty Dog?

Last edited:

Flabagast

No Return needs music in the set up shop, or whatever it’s called in between rounds. I also wish that they changed the ambience, weather, time of day of each location and randomized it instead of using the same ones from the game.
All lighting is fully baked, they cannot change it one bit.

Clearly not a lot of effort went into this mode (but that's okay I prefer they focus on meaningful things)

Bartski

Gold Member
Completed first full run in No Return.

It's actually hard as fuck on Grounded.

Probably gonna take a long time to get that Grounded Daily Run trophy.

Proper game mode though. Fantastic addition
Just failed my first daily run at the boss... Grounded with Permadeath is so tense just makes me do stupid shit and fail... I refuse to drop it lower than survival with slo-mo on aim and I'm still getting wrecked. I already know I may not have time for other games this month.

Is the dev commentary in the cutscenes of the main game interesting and insightful, or is it just them jerking off about how emotional and hard the story is ?

I was also expecting a lot of self-fellating but no. I've only seen chapter 1 and so far, as with Lost Levels - it's mostly game dev talk. Discuss alternative cut versions, stories from the set and alike

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I got this pretty much for free with the PS Stars rewards so I'm excited to replay it soon, for how shit the story was, it was a fun game to play, plus the DLC looks interesting

I will say though, I thought this would be day and date on PC with this remaster
Is is a bit odd

saintjules

Quick PSA: Using Linear PCM in the PS5 settings does not give you 5.1 surround sound if you're using Home Theater. You'll need to use either Dolby or DTS to enable it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Quick PSA: Using Linear PCM in the PS5 settings does not give you 5.1 surround sound if you're using Home Theater. You'll need to use either Dolby or DTS to enable it.
Does setting linear PCM has any drawbacks to suing headphones with or without 3d audio setting in system menu?
Probably not at all right? This is only for output via hdmi ?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The only new fight is the boar fight. It's mostly just exploration with a bit more added story detail.

So far I’ve unlocked all of the characters up to and including Joel and they all have the exact same animations and run like Ellie, looks kind of silly.

angrod14

Is it just me or everytime you start a round and enemies spawn they know your exact location right from the beginning? It makes it very difficult to approach them stealthily.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Turn off vrr in your system settings and keep your framerate to locked. GOW had the same issue. 40 fps locked feels way more smooth than 40 fps unlocked.
I tried turning off VRR in the system settings and going to fidelity mode...now the framerate counter stays locked at 120hz instead of 119hz but it doesn't seem any smoother. It does seem to be smoother than 30FPS and maybe it's just the OLED not having any motion blur, but I'm still much preferring the buttery smooth performance mode unlocked. I sit about 11' back from a 65" C1 so maybe the resolution difference isn't too apparent to me, but the framerate is instantly noticeable.

Is it just me or everytime you start a round and enemies spawn they know your exact location right from the beginning? It makes it very difficult to approach them stealthily.
I think there is 1 mode enemies know your location. Not sure about other modes, just played 1 round and back to main story.

Muffdraul

Bought the $10 upgrade last night at 9PM, I was in bed and sawing logs before it finished downloading. Looking forward to starting my first remaster playthrough when I get home from work tonight.

Seriously Sony, you couldn't figure out how to allow PS4 version owners pre-load this? Fuck you, Sony. You suck. Be better to your loyal customers or we'll switch to Xbox, so help me god. ~shakes fist in a very manly way~

Last edited:

Poppyseed

It’s way above 40 fps most of the times. It’s not like Part I. VRR Fidelity is the way to go. Looks fucking amazing at native 4K.
I think it's not the way to go. The difference in input lag is insanity. VRR Performance is the way to go. Everything is sharper when you're turning and moving because the frame rate is much higher, and then the input latency is a massive part of the gameplay enjoyment. Switching back and forth is like switching Game Mode on and off on your TV.

Reave

Is anyone else playing in performance/uncapped mode? I’m finding the stuttery nature of the fidelity uncapped to be too distracting. Not sure if the extra visual clarity is worth the stuttery moments.

Bartski

Gold Member
Second boss down. PSA you can actually cheat and leave the accessibility settings on while on grounded. I somehow thought it was impossible earlier. Doing it the legit way feels borderline impossible.
As opposed to playing the campaign in grounded permadeath, where you can study every encounter and have all the stats for every room figured out, this is all random and made even more difficult by negative mods.

tommib

Guys

Guys...

Where the fuck are the screenshots
j5nQk6b.jpg

Fidelity mode, don’t notice any stutter at all, looks fab
That was bait, my man.

tommib

I think it's not the way to go. The difference in input lag is insanity. VRR Performance is the way to go. Everything is sharper when you're turning and moving because the frame rate is much higher, and then the input latency is a massive part of the gameplay enjoyment. Switching back and forth is like switching Game Mode on and off on your TV.

SXG442IRDWPYY5YA6RTQ52GKNA.jpg

King Dazzar

Yeah it’s definitely there since the game operates outside the 48fps mostly for vrr ro feel smooth
Dont believe that matters here as it appears to be using LFC to double frames below the VRR threshold. Same as Pt1 remake. Except the performance is better here.

Impressions so far is that this is superb. Visual clarity is excellent in fidelity unlocked VRR mode. And for me, whilst I can notice some frame variance occasionally, its acceptable for me and on the whole keeps to a very acceptable frame rate. No stutters, very smooth. FWIW I'm playing with no motion blur either. But I'm on an LCD.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Looks very good in 4k fidelity mode VRR HDR on. Great hdr implementation too. Only had to tick brightness up one to get rid of 99% of crushed blacks.

Kerotan

The 3 lost levels are a nice little dlc especially with the intro video and commentary included. Don't overlook it. Tbh they should have put all 3 into the final game.

Top Bottom