• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part 2 has sold over 10 million units earlier this year according to Neil Druckmann | Factions 2 is now a standalone multiplayer game

Hezekiah

Banned
10m is great, but really wanna see Factions 2 now.

It seems like it has mushroomed into something much bigger for it to not even be coming out this year. Surely has to be out Q1 next year.

Will be happ if there's something alongside Battle Royale like Tarkov style modes.

EruditeHobo

No need!You can head yourself to a internet website called youtube and search yourself there!

Its really easy to use the website.You will get the hang of it fast enough!

Youtube is not a tool to gauge an overall response to a thing -- it's closer to the opposite, since it is incentivizing engagement and quite often it does this via algorithms promoting outrage at worst & sensationalism at best.

That's part of the reason just pointing to "youtube" is weak evidence... somewhat unlike other data points, like a number of user polls, player's choice GOTY awards, completion rates via PSN, etc. But keep feeling however you want about it, I guess! Feels like a waste of time trying to discuss the actual facts of the matter with you.

Have a great weekend.

Amiga

Very slow for the in PS4 era. Sony Bend got an executive intervention and their first AAA game Days Gone sold 9 million. so 10 million on a sequel to an all time great game is a big disappointment. Spider-Man had 30m+, GOW and HZD had about 20m each.

Hezekiah

Banned
God of War 2018 did those numbers in half the time. And it was coming from a series that was dormant and the last game didnt do too hot. It for sure didnt do the numbers they were hoping for. This is very likely the game with the highest budget of all sony 1st party games. All the rest dont actually have that big of a budget actually compared to top 3rd party games, but this one was in the higher echelon with regards to budget. So im sure they would have liked more. Plus, sony games crater so fast in price that these empty figures dont really have much meaning these days if 80% of the copies after the first 3 months are sold at 10 bucks
None of their games drop in price anywhere near that fast, look at Horizon for example, still £52 on Amazon, Returnal £60, Ratchet and Clank £47. And this is for the physical versions of the game which make up the minority of sales - on the Playstation Store all three of those games are still £70, with only irregular sales with limited price drops.

Only flops and games like Cyberpunk drop that sharply.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Youtube is not a tool to gauge an overall response to a thing -- it's closer to the opposite, since it is incentivizing engagement and quite often it does this via algorithms promoting outrage at worst & sensationalism at best.

That's part of the reason just pointing to "youtube" is weak evidence... somewhat unlike other data points, like a number of user polls, player's choice GOTY awards, completion rates via PSN, etc. But keep feeling however you want about it, I guess! Feels like a waste of time trying to discuss the actual facts of the matter with you.

Have a great weekend.
There are the user scores on metacritic and many other places if you prefer, though I will admit that those aren't the best to gauge either.But it does show overall satisfaction or insatisfaction with on game.Though you have used user polls and player's choice as a reliable source, as if user polls arent possibly as manipulated as something as a metacritic user score lol.

Smaller youtube reviewers are the best gauge to know what the end consumer feels.Sure, some use clickbait and outrage to drive traffic, but even then, they don't just outright trash the game if its not really that bad.And its not one or two creators that does that; the majority of them at the very least concur that TLOU 2 is a very flawed game, and not this perfect gem this vocal minority make it seem to be.

But yeah, wish you too a good weekend and a good night's rest.

Nautilus

Banned
None of their games drop in price anywhere near that fast, look at Horizon for example, still £52 on Amazon, Returnal £60, Ratchet and Clank £47. And this is for the physical versions of the game which make up the minority if sales - on the Playstation Store all three of those games are still £70, with only irregular sales with limited price drops.

This, so much this. Other than Ubisoft, I don't understand where this narrative of "Its normal for games to go from 60 to 20 dolars in 6 months" comming from.

Topher

Gold Member
Oh please do.I'll love you to prove that the world is flat.I find that hard to believe but hey, I'm nothing but open-minded.

You don't get it. There are people on YouTube exposing flat earth bullshit. According to you, that's proof of.....something. Cuz....I can just tell you to "search for it", right? If you don't then you are "too lazy" or some silly nonsense.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes, its bad?Because devs wants to maximize profits, and if they feel like they can get away charging 70 dollars for a game for 5 years, they will? Most PS5 exclusives haven't gone under 40 if I'm not mistaken, and most Sony games only reach 20-30 dollars after 2 or 3 years in the market, not 6 months.

GOW was 25 dollars in the holidays in the year of its release, or several years after the fact?Thats the point.

Ghost of Tsushima did almost as well as TLOU 2( Its very close to 10 million 2 years after launch), Horizon Zero Dawn, a new IP, did as well as TLOU 2.And all those games had smaller budgets.Or at least, they sure as hell looked like they did.And I'm talking worldwide, its sales after 2 years, not just in the US after 2 months lol.

They released Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 which boosted sales. Horizon Zero Dawn sold 7.6 million in one year.

God of War sold 10 million in 13 months. That's 2.4 million ahead. Ghost of Tsushima is about 2 million behind The Last of Us, even though it was re-released, unlikely Horizon Zero Dawn.

Horizon didn't do as well as The Last of Us II. Like I said before, it only took less than 2 months for The Last of Us Part II to surpass Horizon Zero Dawn in revenue in the US. You're not talking worldwide? The Last of Us Part II still sold better.

Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War were bundled, which helped sales. The Last of Us Part II didn't receive the same treatment.

GOW was 25 dollars in the holidays in the year of its release, or several years after the fact?Thats the point.

God of War become part of the Greatest Hits Collection in 2019, which is a permanent price drop of $19.99

Most PS5 exclusives haven't gone under 40 if I'm not mistaken, and most Sony games only reach 20-30 dollars after 2 or 3 years in the market, not 6 months.

Spider-Man was officially dropped to 39.99 in less than 5 months.

God of War was officially dropped to 39.99 in less than 6 months

What's funny, is that people thought it was big news when The Last of Us dropped to $39.99 after a year without realizing that the games above dropped in price faster.

Your arguments don't hold up.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
You don't get it. There are people on YouTube exposing flat earth bullshit. According to you, that's proof of.....something. Cuz....I can just tell you to "search for it", right? If you don't then you are "too lazy" or some silly nonsense.
You are right.Then I'll do my due research on youtube.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They released Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 which boosted sales. Horizon Zero Dawn sold 7.6 million in one year.

God of War sold 10 million in 13 months. That's 2.4 million ahead. Ghost of Tsushima is about 2 million behind The Last of Us, even though it was re-released, unlikely Horizon Zero Dawn.

Horizon didn't do as well as The Last of Us. Like I said before, it only took less than 2 months for The Last of Us Part II to surpass Horizon Zero Dawn in revenue in the US. You're not talking worldwide? The Last of Us Part II still sold better.

Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War were bundled, which helped sales. The Last of Us Part II didn't receive the game treatment.

God of War become part of the Greatest Hits Collection in 2019, which is a permanent price drop of $19.99

What's funny, is that people thought it was big news when The Last of Us dropped to $39.99 after a year without realizing that the games above dropped in price faster.

Love And Hip Hop Reaction GIF by I'm So Jonathan

Nautilus

Banned

Horizon didn't do as well as The Last of Us. Like I said before, it only took less than 2 months for The Last of Us Part II to surpass Horizon Zero Dawn in revenue in the US. You're not talking worldwide? The Last of Us Part II still sold better.

Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War were bundled, which helped sales. The Last of Us Part II didn't receive the game treatment.

...You just proved all of my points.

GOW 4 just got the 20 dollars price tag 18 months after release, not 6 months.

It officially dropped to 40 in 6 months, not the 20 for TLOU 2.Same for Spiderman.

And your whole first paragraph is a bunch on numbers showing that Sony did have a good number of games that did as well as TLOU 2 if not better during 8th gen alone, and all of them has smaller budgets, so they were less risky. Being better in the US is irrelevant if these games clearly have compensated that lack of revenue in other contries, like Ghost of Tsushima doing much better in Japan compared to other Sony titles.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
...You just proved all of my points.

GOW 4 just got the 20 dollars price tag 18 months after release, not 6 months.

It officially dropped to 40 in 6 months, not the 20 for TLOU 2.Same for Spiderman.

And your whole first paragraph is a bunch on numbers showing that Sony did have a good number of games that did as well as TLOU 2 if not better during 8th gen alone, and all of them has smaller budgets, so they were less risky. Being better in the US is irrelevant if these games clearly have compensated that lack of revenue in other contries, like Ghost of Tsushima doing much better in Japan compared to other Sony titles.
You said The Last of Us Part II wasn't permanently dropped to $19.99 after 6 months and that is false. It was $19.99 during Black Friday, similar to God of War.

The Last of Us Part II $39.99 price dropped was official a year later.

The game also never received an official price drop to $19.99. Yes, it can be bought for $19.99 at retailers, but it's still $39.99 on the PlayStation Store.

Rykan

There are the user scores on metacritic and many other places if you prefer, though I will admit that those aren't the best to gauge either.But it does show overall satisfaction or insatisfaction with on game.Though you have used user polls and player's choice as a reliable source, as if user polls arent possibly as manipulated as something as a metacritic user score lol.

Smaller youtube reviewers are the best gauge to know what the end consumer feels.Sure, some use clickbait and outrage to drive traffic, but even then, they don't just outright trash the game if its not really that bad.And its not one or two creators that does that; the majority of them at the very least concur that TLOU 2 is a very flawed game, and not this perfect gem this vocal minority make it seem to be.

But yeah, wish you too a good weekend and a good night's rest.
At no point are user reviews on metacritic or "smaller youtube reviewers" even remotely the best gauge to know what the end consumer feels like. Why do you think they are small youtubers to begin with? Because nobody cares what they have to say. Metacritic user score is nothing more than outrage central. The Last of Us two was review bombed within hours of release, clearly long before these people even played or finished the game, for the exact same reason you dislike the game: Pathetic "Hurdur, SJW! TEH LEFT!!: whining from right wing gamers. None of which has anything to do with the actual quality of the game.

Your concern trolling regarding its sales are also quite unnecessary. The game was popular enough to warrant a multiplayer spin off and a remake of the first game.

Last edited:

EDMIX

oh woooooow, so you telling me they are updating the numbers of The Last Of Us 2 WHEN the remake of the first game is revealed?

Damn thats fucking crazy, who here could have guessed such a thing? /s

How would some of you like that crow served btw? Grilled, boiled, sautéed, airfried for the health freaks lol

EDMIX

The melding of story with multiplayer in factions sounds awesome. My gut feeling is ND would not half arse such an initiative. Expecting a new benchmark in the genre.
true. I'm happy they are taking their time with it.

Its not an easy thing to pull off and I'd rather have it working and finished and well designed, then rushed or what we call 2042ed lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What do you mean?

Quality game is something that's enjoyable, and that's not TLOU 2, which is shite.
It’s the best game of last years. This and death stranding are my favs for sure recently.
It is the strangest thing how much haters this game got because it’s not exactly the same game as one.
Be happy. They experimented and had balls to take you for a ride.
You don’t risk with most expensive games. But they did and it won me over

EDMIX

It’s the best game of last years. This and death stranding are my favs for sure recently.
It is the strangest thing how much haters this game got because it’s not exactly the same game as one.
Be happy. They experimented and had balls to take you for a ride.
You don’t risk with most expensive games. But they did and it won me over

Agreed. I wasn't expecting The Last Of Us 2 to be exactly what it was, but was fucking happy about that as they did something different.

I was just thinking they'd play it safe and just do some other adventure with Joel and Ellie, but a part of me really wanted to see if Marlene's family would kill him or come after him as I felt strongly that the game was foreshadowing he'd pay for what he did, but I just didn't feel they'd go thru with such a wild story, yet indeed....... revenge did take place, but not by who I thought it would be, but I'd say the doctor, nursing staff, etc all could have family that come looking for him.

Overall I was happy they made the world as dark as they made the first, if not darker and was happy to see that growth with all of those characters. Ellie not being exactly like how she was in the first game was something I personally loved, thats life....that is how people grow, they don't just remain like fucking kids folks and I'm happy they did that type of coming of age apocalypse type story

The melding of story with multiplayer in factions sounds awesome. My gut feeling is ND would not half arse such an initiative. Expecting a new benchmark in the genre.
This, it’s sounding more and more like I asked for over a year ago.

Huge open world where you make your camp, go for supply story based runs, get invaded by other camps(could be bots, if people find real players too hard), where if you lose, you lose a percentage of your supplies, etc.

And of course TDM, and Battle Royal modes.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Also we keep forgettinf two things againsg the game
1. It launched in a pandemic when access to games and entertainment was readily available especially for people who want physical

2. The hate campagn ans miss information going on about the game with "leaks" that scars were a murderous christian group, and that joel was killed by a trans person lol

ZywyPL

Banned
That's... Days Gone level of sales, and we all know story of that one. And DG certainly didn't have a budget nowhere near as big as TLoU2. Dunno, feels rather weak for what's suppose to be one of the absolute top franchises on a 140M PS4/5 userbase, I would expect something closer to 16-18M like other Sony's big blockbusters.

Rykan

That's... Days Gone level of sales, and we all know story of that one. And DG certainly didn't have a budget nowhere near as big as TLoU2. Dunno, feels rather weak for what's suppose to be one of the absolute top franchises on a 140M PS4/5 userbase, I would expect something closer to 16-18M like other Sony's big blockbusters.
I don't think its public knowledge how much days gone sold.

sircaw

Banned
When Factions finally releases we should have an internal gaf-war.

Two groups/factions that are prepared to duke it out in the game.

Nautilus Nautilus could lead the Haters, a small group of neo-gaf renegades that cite youtube streamers as its sources.
DeepEnigma DeepEnigma could lead the group called Reality, A group of over ten million people that rely on facts, figures on numbers.

Not sure who my money is on TBH. "lollipop_disappointed:

Picture of DeepEnigma

armed machine gun GIF

Picture of Nautilus

Temptation Island Pool GIF by RTL

Last edited:

yurinka

Very slow for the in PS4 era. Sony Bend got an executive intervention and their first AAA game Days Gone sold 9 million. so 10 million on a sequel to an all time great game is a big disappointment. Spider-Man had 30m+, GOW and HZD had about 20m each.
What do you mean by executive intervention?

Will the standalone version be free for people that bought TLOU2?
It won't be a MP game mode. It will be a full, separate standalone AAA MP game. So no.

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
None of their games drop in price anywhere near that fast, look at Horizon for example, still £52 on Amazon, Returnal £60, Ratchet and Clank £47. And this is for the physical versions of the game which make up the minority of sales - on the Playstation Store all three of those games are still £70, with only irregular sales with limited price drops.

Guess it depends on the country. In Germany all the big Sony games drop very fast and the smaller games with less budget are quite stable. Horizon for example was already down to 29,99 early May. Returnal or Demon Souls on the other hand are still near 50 while being much older.

Kokoloko85

Based on the gameplay in The Last of Us 2 I see Factions being big. How big do I think it can be? I think it can threaten Fortnite, Apex and Warzone kind of big if it's done right. Last of Us 2 has an excellent gameplay loop. But it comes down to the execution, which I suspect will be high quality.

Dude I never thought Id see you say something nice about a Playstation game. You make me want to grow lol

If Factions has lots of PVE, Coop stuff like RDR online, Ill be happy. Aswell as PVP.
I cant remember the quote one of the developers used but something like a single player experience in an online world or something.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Last of us 2 is like 8 pounds at some retailers in the UK and its been as low as like 12 and 10 pounds multiple times in the last year.

10 million is good sales, decent but I would have expected 15 to 20 million for a game like last of us 2 easily. It must have underperformed compared to internal projections....it just must have.

I put it down to the leaks though and internet backlash...not the actual game.

Nah that was 8m, and including the PC release.
False. The claim was that it was over 8 millions by late 2020, about one year and a half after release and 6 months before the PC realese.
TLOU2 has beeen on sale for 2 years and could also take advantage of having a quite publiicized Ps5 patch.
Still, some people want us to believe that DG was a flop and TLOU 2 sales are great...
Nah that was 8m, and including the PC release.

Top Bottom