• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 - New extended gameplay from Naughty Dog

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Bored Married With Children GIF

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Reflections in TLOU2 look stunning. You dont need ray tracing to do good reflections when artists can bake them in. They arent very accurate, but In open world games like Spiderman where the artist cant go in and individually adjust thousands of puddles, ray tracing becomes almost neccessary. That was what puddle gate was about. Insomniac devs created reflections just for the demo but in the final game you simply cant have artists bake in reflections for an entire world full of thousands of puddles.

TLOU2 has only a few areas with ponds and reflective surfaces so ND artists used high screenspace reflections to create some incredible reflections.

EhCpq_wXYAMTsIw

Actually, TLOU2 had many areas with reflecting puddles and they often looked terrible; cubemaps in particular were pretty ugly. This remake has really stepped up in reflection department - the reflections in the Pennsylvania storefeont area right after the crash had amazing reflections and i cant wait to play through it myself. Hell, i don't need to remind you and others how heavily I leaned on the RT reflections hypothesis (although i still dont know how they pulled off that particular reflection i was referring to as it was offscreen). But it's annoying to see a ND game do well in getting close to realism only to have that immersion tainted with ssr artifacts. It's especially annoying knowing that they have the hardware to do it. Rt reflections would've been worth sacrifices elsewhere and made the presentation much better i think. They should've at least permitted it for the fidelity mode. Oh well...

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I just watched that extended gameplay clip and whilst it looks great there's absolutely no way that couldn't run on a PS4, I saw nothing that didn't look far superior to the already incredible looking TLOU2, I was tempted to blow 70nicker on this as I'm busting for a replay of both games but I'm gonna hang out until this drops way in price, if it actually looked next gen and like a proper PS5 game I might've bought it but £70 for essentially a PS4 game? Nah fuck off Sony

Top Bottom