• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Is Targeting the Base PS4 Model, Not the Pro

Bullet Club

The Last of Us 2 Is Targeting the Base PS4 Model, Not the Pro

Will it sound like a plane is taking off, though?

Over the past six months or so, the base PlayStation 4 that released all the way back in late 2013 has been running into a number of issues when trying to run recently released games. Many studios seem to be using Sony's supercharged PS4 Pro as its target platform, but that's not the case with The Last of Us: Part II.

Speaking with USgamer, lead game designer Emilia Schatz said that the base PS4 is Naughty Dog's target platform. "That's actually what I've got on my desk at work, and so that's what we sort of aim for." Schatz then goes on to state that the footage we saw earlier this week isn't the game's final frame rate nor its locked screen resolution.

This is surely welcome news for those who haven't upgraded to the PS4 Pro yet. The likes of Control and Borderlands 3 are two games that have been considered almost unplayable on the base PS4 model, particularly in the case of Remedy's latest mysterious adventure. It doesn't look like The Last of Us: Part II will be adding itself to that list.

Are you a base PS4 owner and happy with this news?

Source: PushSquare

Fahdis

Doesn't matter. I'm playing this on the PS5. Why waste my time on these pleb consoles anymore when the new one is just around the corner.

This goes for every other Sony Exclusive starting next year for me.

P.S. I have patience. I get to play the Definitive Edition. Payless money and buy it on a sale. Perhaps has 60 FPS option.
Win-Win.

Last edited:

Fbh

It's a first party title, what are they supposed to say?.

"We know there's way more regular Ps4's out there but fuck it, we designed the game for the pro!"

Most Sony exclusives have been great on the base system. Running at 1080p with similar frame rates to the pro version. Don't see why this would be different.

Also what's this about Borderlands 3 being "almost unplayable" on the OG PS4?.
From the Digital foundry article:
By and large, there's the sense that Borderlands 3 is a generally more stable experience on the base machines - certainly more so than PS4 Pro version

The best word to describe Borderlands 3 on PS4 would be 'solid'

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I'll believe it when I see it but I never made it through TLOU until it came out on PS4 because the PS3 performance was so bad.

Doesn't matter. I'm playing this on the PS5. Why waste my time on these pleb consoles anymore when the new one is just around the corner.

P.S. I have patience.

I definitely can’t blame you. What concerns me is, unfortunately I doubt they will fully take advantage of the PS5 with multiplatform titles because of the 100 million + userbase with PS4. Sure, everything will look better on PS5, but I think they will still develop with PS4 in mind for at least another 2 years.

Honestly though, this news isn’t even remotely surprising. Are there any titles that take full advantage of the PS4 Pro yet? God of War maybe? Horizon? Gran Turismo? Even the Xbox One X? Gears 5 perhaps?

Last edited:

Fahdis

I definitely can’t blame you. What concerns me is, unfortunately I doubt they will fully take advantage of the PS5 with multiplatform titles because of the 100 million + user base with PS4. Sure, everything will look better on PS5, but I think they will still develop with PS4 in mind for at least another 2 years.

Honestly though, this news isn’t even remotely surprising. Are there any titles that take full advantage of the PS4 Pro yet? God of War maybe? Horizon? Gran Turismo? Even the Xbox One X? Gears 5 perhaps?

I've literally gone stingy because I noticed games dropping value rapidly, with the launch pre-orders being hilariously shit, especially for Sony games. I have a PC with 2 1080 Ti SLi's as well with a huge backlog. I think those will hold me over especially since I have been enjoying regional sales from Asia over North America since I moved here. It's ridiculous how cheap things really are on storefronts like Steam.

Add the fact that MS just keeps getting better and better with offering their catalog on Steam (waiting for Forza 7 so hard) since I opted to get Ultimate Game Pass for $2 just to try it.

PlayStation has no such stuff, they are anti-consumer as of this gen. I buy all of their games after a few years at $5-15 and have all of their exclusive catalogs until 2017 bought up. I vote with my wallet and in no rush to play this. Probably will wait for PS5 Pro to be honest.

I definitely can’t blame you. What concerns me is, unfortunately I doubt they will fully take advantage of the PS5 with multiplatform titles because of the 100 million + userbase with PS4. Sure, everything will look better on PS5, but I think they will still develop with PS4 in mind for at least another 2 years.

Well the Third Parties will do that.
But that's why 1st party games exist.
And of course nothing would take advantage of Pro, what made you think anyone would? At most you get better VR results. Mid gen upgrades are meant to be minor.

It is the job of 1st party studios to deliver launch games that sell the new console. Always have been, but even more important now than it used to be. That's why Sony is so quiet about new games in production for the last year; they are PS5 exclusives so not to be announced until the official console reveal.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
This is good news, I felt like that with pretty much all of Sony's first party titles. Only Days Gone ran horribly on the base model.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
More FUD.

There's no reason whatsoever to prioritize Pro over base model. Its based on the false assumption that everyone obsesses over minutia of performance and frame-rate. Its not like previous to the existence of the mid-gen refreshes that all games ran perfectly even when targeting 30fps.

xool

Fuck this "Control is unplayable on base PS4" narrative .

LOL at bitches that start screaming because framerate dropped below 30fps for 2secs a couple times in the entire game. Fucking slowdowns. Live with it or go play CandyCrush on your i9

[triggered]

Javthusiast

Banned
God of war and spider man worked really well on a base model, so this is no surprising news. I am just glad my old ps4 will handle it well, cause at this point I am not gettign a pro, but rather a ps5 next year and play all my ps4 collection and ps5 games going forward on that.

xool

Another full of shit vg journalist narrative - that base consoles are being left behind - repeated even when it contradicts reality.

In reality all the Pro is capable is the same performance as PS4 at 1.5-2x the resolution. XboxOneX is can do up to 4x OG XONE resolution with slightly better CPU clock as well.

None of this is enough to alter the overall performance outside resolution or a few tweeks. They're just not capable of that. Any differences in performance are down to developers priorities and possiblt GPU/CPU balance with the X ..

Last edited:

onQ123

Why would any high budget game target the PS4 Pro?

it would be dumb to target a sub console when the user base is mostly on the base console?

Wonko_C

Isn't that how it goes with every game? They are ovbiously going to use the platform with the highest player count as a base, then adjust for the high end model. What I wrongly assumed is that every single game released after the Pro would have taken advantage of the newer console. It's baffling how many games, released even to this day only support the standard PS4 and take ages for a "Pro patch", that is if they get one at all.

Is it really that different from PC games which offer multiple resolution and graphics options out of the box? Those versions have to take in account endless hardware configurations, whereas with the PS4+Pro it's only two.

Even though I would like to not suffer from low resolutions (especially for PSVR games like Resident Evil 7, which renders at 540p on a standard PS4) I'm glad I didn't upgrade to a Pro, otherwise I would have felt ripped off. I'll just wait for PS5 backwards compat. and hope they don't half-ass it there too.

Last edited:

mejin

The complete opposite of MS which always put X first and S be damned. Also, they focus all on single player. Talk about courage.

Trimesh

Banned
Didn't the original TLOU brick some PS3s? I thought I remember something like that.

It pushed the machine really hard, and tended to get everything so hot that the fans were running at 100%. I killed my launch PS3 running it - although I think it's more accurate to characterize it as the game that finally pushed it over the edge since those CECHA PS3s are best considered to be time bombs anyway.

scydrex

P.S. I have patience. I get to play the Definitive Edition. Payless money and buy it on a sale. Perhaps has 60 FPS option.
Win-Win.

Yep... thinking the same thing. Will play it on PS5 at 4K 60fps. I even sold my Pro. Thinking of getting a Slim for a good price or even a used one. All the exclusive from Sony and AAA games coming next year PS5 with them.

Last edited:

Romulus

Judging by what's going onscreen, I do think the performance mode will shine on Pro in TloU2. There's far less effects and particles than something like God of War, and even that game wasn't bad in performance mode, mostly 50-60fps.

I've enjoyed the Pro this gen, I got it ridiculously cheap on a trade in offer.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s how it should be, but all the same, I appreciate this.

I don’t mind having more advanced models show up, but my gameplay experience that I laid $400 down for, 1080p, good framerate, the current gen standard and the typical evolution throughout the gen, should all continue to exist.

I should never feel pressured to upgrade, because my base system, bought with the understanding that it would last the gen, suddenly isn’t cutting it.

Alebrije

Its logic...but being honest the best version of TLOU is the PS4 remaster....so the PS5 remaster could be the best TLOU2 specially on the FPS.. therefore Double Deep

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The base model is just that - the base. The resolution, effects, frame rate would then just be increased for PS4 Pro. Kind of like a PC going from High to Ultra.

Expecting 4K CBR and 60 FPS that fluctuates throughout the game even though I would prefer a locked 30 FPS with the highest resolution and effects possible.

Fake

Fine with that. Seeing some dev ignoring the base consoles and focus on the middle update its not smart after all.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
you don't say! only stupid people with more money than sense would buy a Pro.

most people have a standard PS4 and that's where the lettuce is.

Fake

Is that so? I have absolutely faith Pro and X can do way better than 1080p60fps if they target them.
Dunno. If was IDtech maybe.I don't even know what engine that game is using, but was a waste of showing what IDtech could do.

Is Battlefield 1 another example? Run like mess on base consoles.

ethomaz

Banned
Dunno. If was IDtech maybe.I don't even know what engine that game is using, but was a waste of showing what IDtech could do.

Is Battlefield 1 another example? Run like mess on base consoles.
Frostbite runs bad everywhere.

There is no game targeting the premium console in the market... all of them target the base and scale up.

That will change with the new gem and a new base target to hold the industry.

Last edited:
This is surely welcome news for those who haven't upgraded to the PS4 Pro yet. The likes of Control and Borderlands 3 are two games that have been considered almost unplayable on the base PS4 model, particularly in the case of Remedy's latest mysterious adventure. It doesn't look like The Last of Us: Part II will be adding itself to that list.
There was no reason to believe that to begin with, look at Uncharted 4, Horison, God of War, etc. all really great looking titles that run on the base model, I'd say that the teams working on Control and Borderlands 3 have their priorities in the wrong place (their games should be pretty much locked 30fps/1080p (60 if they can do it) on the base PS4 and do whatever more they can muster on the PRO, I'm fairly confident this was the intent of Sony when they released it, this is why it has the power it has compared to the base model.

Fake

Frostbite runs bad everywhere.

There is no game targeting the premium console in the market... all of them target the base and scale up.

That will change with the new gem and a new base target to hold the industry.
Fair enough, but imo PS4 first party games usally target of base PS4 because 1080p.

Last edited:
Top Bottom