• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Is 'Hands Down the Most Ambitious Game Naughty Dog Has Ever Made' - 'You Are Not Ready For TLOU 2' Says Troy Baker.

I wonder if people that say these things have actually played the game. I used to say similar things before I actually played TLOU :) then it became one of my favorite games in existence
I've played it and beat it. Speaking from experience, it's too linear and restrictive for my tastes, gameplay is meh, and it felt like a chore to play (but that's the point of survival horror isn't it?).

The sequel is fixing some major issues, like replayability and worthwhile features, like more in depth crafting which I was excited to see. I'd like to see an open world, more "gamey" TLOU game though.

im the only one on the planet, it seems, that thought TLOU was grossly overrated

Nope, you're not the only one. It is, and story wise it's generic but for a game it's not bad.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I've played it and beat it. Speaking from experience, it's too linear and restrictive for my tastes, gameplay is meh, and it felt like a chore to play (but that's the point of survival horror isn't it?).

The sequel is fixing some major issues, like replayability and worthwhile features, like more in depth crafting which I was excited to see. I'd like to see an open world, more "gamey" TLOU game though.

Nope, you're not the only one. It is, and story wise it's generic but for a game it's not bad.
The gameplay in TLOU for me was as equally satisfying as the story. It's a masterpiece but yeah TLOU Part 2 will raise the bar

Thanofski88

Neo Member
Well my favourite game of all time can't say enough .excellent pace , not packed with useless action like uncharted . Always had the feeling of being hunted ...game felt perfect back in 2013.one of the few games I didn't want it to end ....

Though I have a strong feeling part 2 will get delayed ....naughty dog seems to be kinda phishing our vibes with some Instagram posts bout the game but I really think they will translate people insecurity for the current situation like a wrong time to release their masterpiece ....I really really hope the don't !

Be safe

GymWolf

I agree. I just don’t like the gameplay at all. Horrible AI.

This sums it up for me pretty well:

Really killed the game for me.

you can make a video that shows idiot ia for every game on the planet, don't be that guy my dude, ia glitches happen in every single damn game, even games like rdr2 that was in development cycle for 9 years with 1000+ people working on it.

it's true that the ia during stealth is trash, but at the higher difficulty the human ia is pretty good and aggressive during gun fight.

of course sometimes it's gonna bug out like in every fucking game, but it's still far better than anything gears of war (a pure tps) or a lot of other tps has ever made in terms of ia.

i never cared for ND story or character, the only reason why i enjoyed tlou was the more than competent tps part (also the graphic and animation of course)

the major critique i have for the IA was the downgrade from the reveal trailer, i hope ND get his shit together after the ia showed on the reveal of tlou2, i don't trust journalist previews, i wanna see and try with my eyes.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gears has a much more satisfying gameplay though.
not in terms of animation, melee, gore or meaty gunplay no.(at least not for my taste)
(the last 2 are subjective i guess)

i give you that gears is better for the most important things like cover system, aim, precise movements etc, but personally the all gears formula for me was stagnant after the 2-3rd game.
also i like more slow and metodical tps compared to wall bounce fest that is gow.
like for example MP3 was my favourite last gen tps even if movements are not always fluid and precise like gears because that game use euphoria for max, still liked far more than any gears game.

Last edited:

Aggelos

I'd love to see this released earlier via digital. Has it gone gold?

Give it a shot to ask the director. You can go like -> "Yo bro, what's poppin' lately? You guys already done with the game?'

MacReady13

im the only one on the planet, it seems, that thought TLOU was grossly overrated

You most certainly aren't. I usually love ND games (Uncharted 1-3 being favs of mine) yet I just couldn't go back to TLOU. Mind you, I did finish it. Enjoyed the story somewhat. The gameplay though was where it faltered for me. The AI somehow not spotting the young girl whilst she was standing in front of them with me in cover was immersive breaking. Game dragged on too long I felt and, although I will eventually pick up TLOU2, i'm not holding on to the hope (like many) that this will be like the next coming of jesus! I honestly feel like since Amy Hennig left ND, they just haven't been the same. Uncharted 4 showed that to me. What an average game that was after the great trilogy on PS3.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

It is?

I don't get why people use the term "overrated" as it implies that people are overrating the game because of their love for Naughty Dog.

The game is one of the most anticipated games this generation for a reason. You don't get there unless, of course, many people enjoyed TLOU Part I.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You most certainly aren't. I usually love ND games (Uncharted 1-3 being favs of mine) yet I just couldn't go back to TLOU. Mind you, I did finish it. Enjoyed the story somewhat. The gameplay though was where it faltered for me. The AI somehow not spotting the young girl whilst she was standing in front of them with me in cover was immersive breaking. Game dragged on too long I felt and, although I will eventually pick up TLOU2, i'm not holding on to the hope (like many) that this will be like the next coming of jesus! I honestly feel like since Amy Hennig left ND, they just haven't been the same. Uncharted 4 showed that to me. What an average game that was after the great trilogy on PS3.

TLOU was the ND game I preferred. I agree the gameplay was iffy, but I preferred the more expansive world with more game to the game than shoot, shoot shoot, walk, cinematic rinse & repeat. Also while some people have called the story cliche, I found it interesting and engaging.

I do agree about TLOU2. I have little interest in the game without Joel and centered on Ellie and her sexual orientation.

GymWolf

TLOU was the ND game I preferred. I agree the gameplay was iffy, but I preferred the more expansive world with more game to the game than shoot, shoot shoot, walk, cinematic rinse & repeat. Also while some people have called the story cliche, I found it interesting and engaging.
meh, if she bash skulls like joel did, who gives a damn about her sexuality😆

Goliathy

Banned
That's a silly thing to dwell over for what might be the best game of this generation :)

Best game of the generation? Not in my option. This belongs to Zelda BotW for me.

They created a completely NEW Zelda, which you can’t compare to ANY other Zelda and at the same time revolutionized Open World games.

What did the last of us do? How is it different to uncharted - other than setting?
I played the first part - but AFTER - all the the hype... and it wasn’t nearly as good as everyone said. Don’t know why a second part of a game could be game of the generation. Lol

Anyway, we will see.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Best game of the generation? Not in my option. This belongs to Zelda BotW for me.

They created a completely NEW Zelda, which you can’t compare to ANY other Zelda and at the same time revolutionized Open World games.

What did the last of us do? How is it different to uncharted - other than setting?
I played the first part - but AFTER - all the the hype... and it wasn’t nearly as good as everyone said. Don’t know why a second part of a game could be game of the generation. Lol

Anyway, we will see.
I played the 1st TLOU after all of the hype and it surpassed the hype and became one of my GOATs. TLOU combined great story telling with great performances and good gameplay, especially the satisfying melee

TLOU Part 2 will have the best animations in gaming, an injury system, a new AI system where enemies can look for you under cars and actively communicate to find you. It's not so much about innovation as it is about how good is the game :)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
[,

It’s been over a year since we last got an update on the highly anticipated The Last of Us: Part II, but speaking at Manchester Comic-Con this weekend, star Troy Baker managed to whet our appetite with some tidbits about what we can expect from the title when the title deploys. The actor, who plays Joel in the series, was coy about sharing too many details – but he suggested that even he’s been surprised by how the project’s coming together.

“I can tell you this: it’s hands down the most ambitious game that Naughty Dog has ever done for sure,” he exclaimed, as part of a larger interview which will be published on Push Square later this week. “It’s far larger than I thought was going to be possible.”

Of course, we all want to know when we’ll actually be able to play it, and so we asked Baker if he had any more insight on actress Ashley Johnson’s recent slip-up. For those of you out of the loop, the Ellie star seemed to suggest that the sequel will be out in February, but her co-star seemed confused by the apparent error.

“It’ll be out 31st February, that’s what [Johnson] said – people just took it out of context,” he joked. “Wow, I’m sure she got a call from Sony saying, ‘Shut up!’ She’s like, ‘Guys, it’s a f*cking joke!’”

He continued that he doesn’t actually know the date: “I think they’ve probably been smart not to tell us because we can’t slip up and say something stupid. Last time we announced, we slipped. And they don’t want to do that again. We are still cranking on it, I can tell you that much. Where it’s at in development, I have no idea. Everybody feels like it’s broken until it’s shipping, and then when it’s shipping they’re like, ‘We shipped a broken game!’ And that’s the gig of making a game.”

Uncharted star Nolan North, who was also in attendance during the interview, interjected that “they’re not going to release it until they’re ready to release it”. So we’re no wiser as to when the title will launch, but if Baker’s comments on the scale of the game are accurate, then we can appreciate why the award-winning developer’s taking its time. Either way, we simply have to learn more soon – it’s been far too long since our last public update on the project.
Mehh 😑

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Theres no game I'm hyped about more.

For me Naughty Dog delivers EVERY time. What the team can achieve is nothing short of amazing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m excited for Last of Us 2, I really enjoyed the first game but lets get one thing straight, when they say “ambitious” they are mostly talking about “story” not actual gameplay....right?

I mean I like ND games but I never thought any of their game’s gameplay were “ambitious”. Now if someone like Ueda talks about being “ambitious” that would something I believe and be excited about because most of his games are actually “ambitious”.

Last edited:
I played the 1st TLOU after all of the hype and it surpassed the hype and became one of my GOATs. TLOU combined great story telling with great performances and good gameplay, especially the satisfying melee

TLOU Part 2 will have the best animations in gaming, an injury system, a new AI system where enemies can look for you under cars and actively communicate to find you. It's not so much about innovation as it is about how good is the game :)
Zelda BOTW is on another tier. I think we should accept the fact about BOTW being the game of the generation.

GymWolf

I’m excited for Last of Us 2, I really enjoyed the first game but lets get one thing straight, when they say “ambitious” they are mostly talking about “story” not actual gameplay....right?

I mean I like ND games but I never thought any of their game’s gameplay were “ambitious”. Now if someone like Ueda talks about being “ambitious” that would something I believe and be excited about because most of his games are actually “ambitious”.
probably story, but if they manage to make the ia similar to the reveal video, it's gonna be a good jump for stealth\tps games in general.
also it's probably gonna be the game with the most realistic and detailed gore\body damage ever, the reveal has some CRAZY gorey details (at least i hope)

zkorejo

TLOU didnt need MP but they gave us one of the best MP experiences. I for one was looking forward to it more than the SP tbh but ofcourse I will be there day1 for SP.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's been ages since I've launched ps4 and we had a real aaa exclusive.
As for Naughty Dog, their most ambitious was UC3 for me. YOu can see they tried so much and were fighting with Gears 3 at the time. Both franchises had amazing 3rd game that really looked next gen on their systems

Top Bottom