• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of info on God of War Ragnarok is concerning

I think this is coming this year, not that I really care as I haven’t finished the first one… I hope they take as much time as needed rather than rushing it though.

Plus it’s already been delayed, which seems to have been conveniently forgotten along with the delays to GT and Horizon 2, in order to praise Sony for it’s excellent studio management :messenger_grinning_smiling:

sircaw

Banned
For me, the only thing that would stop the god of war from releasing this year would be the Game of the Year crown.

Let's be honest here, Elden Ring is going to be hard to stop.

I personally think these awards are extremely valuable to Sony.

Releasing this year, as good as the game might be, won't be able to dethrone Eldrin Ring.

If I was Jim Ryan, i would postpone it till next year and scoop up the award.
Sony has already released so many top games already, i think they would be able to pull it off.

solidus12

We technically he was a dad before as well...
That’s my point. He was a dad and the older entries did have their emotional moments, but gaming journalists seem to shit on the older games while claiming that Kratos has become a dad now. It just shows how ignorant they can be.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
That’s my point. He was a dad and the older entries did have their emotional moments, but gaming journalists seem to shit on the older games while claiming that Kratos has become a dad now. It just shows how ignorant they can be.
Didn't some clown recently think Solid Snake climbed the ladder in MGS 3: Snake Eater. Either the pay is low to attract journalists with IQ in at least double digits or the interviewing process is non-existent.

cragarmi

I think this is coming this year, not that I really care as I haven’t finished the first one… I hope they take as much time as needed rather than rushing it though.

Plus it’s already been delayed, which seems to have been conveniently forgotten along with the delays to GT and Horizon 2, in order to praise Sony for it’s excellent studio management :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Unless an exact date was given it wasn't a delay

Oh, i misunderstood what you were saying. If you only ever played GOW 2018 i can understand why they would believe that.

Beechos

For me, the only thing that would stop the god of war from releasing this year would be the Game of the Year crown.

Releasing this year, as good as the game might be, won't be able to dethrone Eldrin Ring.

Sony has already released so many top games already, i think they would be able to pull it off.
That was be super shallow and petty if true. Arent souls games already associated with sony? Plus that would mean sony has shit to release next year if they need gow as their 2023 goty candidate. I still think itll come out in that sept-nov big game launch period. If not then Mar/apr of next year.

sircaw

Banned
That was be super shallow and petty if true. Arent souls games already associated with sony? Plus that would mean sony has shit to release next year if they need gow as their 2023 goty candidate. I still think itll come out in that sept-nov big game launch period. If not then Mar/apr of next year.
They are under no threat to release their games, Microsoft has dropped the ball yet again and left sony basically in charge of the narrative.

I personally hope they release god of war this year, but what pressure are they under?> none, their consoles are still selling like hotcakes and will continue to do so regardless of said game's release.

Knowing that starfield is now delayed till next year, i highly doubt that the thought has not crossed Sony's mind to delay it's ace in the hole till then.

Sony has released a string of bangers over the last year with Horizon being the most recent, they are IMO no where under as much pressure as Microsoft to deliever.

Astral Dog

People need to calm down with the Game Awards conspiracy theories, its getting silly the world doesn't revolve around that show.

If GOW comes out this year, gets a 95(or 94-96) Metascore, gets nominated for GotY, sells 20 million+ thats more than enough recognition for PlayStation (+of course Elden Ring) .

If GoWR indeed gets delayed, it won't be for fear of some show, like Zelda the reason simply could be game needs more development time, unlike other games God of War wouldn't be delayed because other AAA is releasing that month

You're suggesting Sony delay God of War in order to "scoop up" some bullshit awards that no one cares about a few hours after they're announced?

sircaw

Banned
You're suggesting Sony delay God of War in order to "scoop up" some bullshit awards that no one cares about a few hours after they're announced?
Just because you don't care about it, does not make it unimportant.

Today The Game Awards reported that viewership grew to 85 million live streams for its 2021 show, which represents an increase of 2% year-over-year compared to last year's event.

Finally, audience voting for the show grew to 27% year-over-year reaching 23.2 million.

The game awards are massive now.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
People need to calm down with the Game Awards conspiracy theories, its getting silly the world doesn't revolve around that show.

If GOW comes out this year, gets a 95(or 94-96) Metascore, gets nominated for GotY, sells 20 million+ thats more than enough recognition for PlayStation (+of course Elden Ring) .

If GoWR indeed gets delayed, it won't be for fear of some show, like Zelda the reason simply could be game needs more development time, unlike other games God of War wouldn't be delayed because other AAA is releasing that month
Taking advantage of a situation when you are in the driving seat is not a show of fear or a conspiracy theory as you put it, it would be a logical and sound judgment decision on Sony's point.

Sony cares about sales way more than they care about awards. No shame in losing to Elden Ring (a game that is on PlayStation) if it comes to that. If they push it to 2023 they would go against BotW2 anyway.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Sony cares about sales way more than they care about awards. No shame in losing to Elden Ring if it comes to that. If they push it to 2023 they would go against BotW2 anyway.
I think what will be telling about the release date, is what Sony has on the back burner.

If they do release it this year, it tells me they are extremely satisfied with what they have behind the scenes, a delay for me means a lot of stuff is way of a release.

Either way, i expect God of war to be the bees knees and that is really what is important.

Handel

No publisher is going to delay their game so as to get better chances of winning GOTY from some shows and sites. Even if they did, it'd be smarter to keep God of War in this year where it's going to be likely just a two horse race (Elden Ring and God of War), rather than delay it to 2023 which will have more top contenders (BOTW2, Starfield, maybe FFXVI, and potentially some other big games yet unannounced/haven't gotten a release date/come out of left field)

Last edited:

yurinka

Today The Game Awards reported that viewership grew to 85 million live streams for its 2021 show, which represents an increase of 2% year-over-year compared to last year's event.

Finally, audience voting for the show grew to 27% year-over-year reaching 23.2 million.

Not counting the several other game series/studios/regional/corporate ones) accounts they have on social media, the main PS account has 38.6M followers on FB, 28.8M on Instagram, 24,9 M on Twitter or 14M on YouTube. Plus they also have their PS Blog that must have millions of views.

In addition to this, any big trailer they release gets also republished in all gaming media or fan based social media channels, who add dozens of millions more of followers/views.

Sure, the game awards have great numbers and are important, but Sony already has their own channels plus the media and fan accounts resulting similar or even bigger reach. So using their own channels, for free they can reach many dozens of millions of players any day they want.

And for when Sony wants to pay to place ads, there are things like Google ads and ads in the social media, which reach billions of users. So they are paid ads like the game awards but not depending on a specific date an pretty likely for a cheaper price.

So to put some stuff on the game awards may be interesting for Sony, but they can have the same or higher reach any random Tuesday, paid of free.

sircaw

Banned
Not counting the several other game series/studios/regional/corporate ones) accounts they have on social media, the main PS account has 38.6M followers on FB, 28.8M on Instagram, 24,9 M on Twitter or 14M on YouTube. Plus they also have their PS Blog that must have millions of views.

In addition to this, any big trailer they release gets also republished in all gaming media or fan based social media channels, who add dozens of millions more of followers/views.

Sure, the game awards have great numbers and are important, but Sony already has their own channels plus the media and fan accounts resulting similar or even bigger reach. So using their own channels, for free they can reach many dozens of millions of players any day they want.

And for when Sony wants to pay to place ads, there are things like Google ads and ads in the social media, which reach billions of users. So they are paid ads like the game awards but not depending on a specific date an pretty likely for a cheaper price.

So to put some stuff on the game awards may be interesting for Sony, but they can have the same or higher reach any random Tuesday, paid of free.
The game awards is a also a great way for sony to reach fans of other platforms, where like their own channels are mainly dedicated to their own fans.

Its the best of both worlds.

yurinka

The game awards is a also a great way for sony to reach fans of other platforms, where like their own channels are mainly dedicated to their own fans.

Its the best of both worlds.
Yes, but when instead of paying for ads in the game awards you pay for them in the social media or google ads you can target the fans of Xbox or Nintendo (or anything else) if desired too. And also choose specific countries, age ranges, genre, etc.

No publisher is going to delay their game so as to get better chances of winning GOTY from some shows and sites. Even if they did, it'd be smarter to keep God of War in this year where it's going to be likely just a two horse race (Elden Ring and God of War), rather than delay it to 2023 which will have more top contenders (BOTW2, Starfield, maybe FFXVI, and potentially some other big games yet unannounced/haven't gotten a release date/come out of left field)
True. They move dates because of budgets, costs and revenues planned for certain quarters or financial years, not for awards. And in the fictional case where they'd do it, they'd prefer to keep GoW in 2022 because will be able to get more awards than in 2023.

In addition to this, with Starfield and Botw2 delayed to 2023 and with Elden Ring having been revealed at a previous Doritos event I think there are a 99.999999999999999% chances of Elden Ring getting the GOTY in the Games Awards this year even in the fantasy case of GoWR turning out to be the best game in history.

Last edited:

Whether or not I think game awards are ridiculous (I do) means nothing. I'm laughing at the idea of you thinking Jim Ryan should delay God of War over game awards.

The Alien

Banned
Concerning until it's not.

The second the next info dunno comes out, all the concern will wash away (as soon as 1st week of June, if u believe Jeff Grubb).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

DragonNCM

Putting God of War :Ragnarok against Elden ring will be suicide...better wait January/February 2023 launch window 😁

kyliethicc

People said the same thing about 2018 with Red Dead Redemption 2. Which also has a 97 on Metacritic.

I don’t think they’d delay the game into 2023 for that reason.

Hezekiah

Banned
I think what will be telling about the release date, is what Sony has on the back burner.

If they do release it this year, it tells me they are extremely satisfied with what they have behind the scenes, a delay for me means a lot of stuff is way of a release.

Either way, i expect God of war to be the bees knees and that is really what is important.
True - I think we can assume Factions 2 and Final Fantasy 16 for next year.

Question is, will there be anything else coming - Spiderman for example. KOTOR?

sircaw

Banned
True - I think we can assume Factions 2 and Final Fantasy 16 for next year.

Question is, will there be anything else coming - Spiderman for example. KOTOR?
I think there will be some massive announcements coming from Sonys this year.

I am really hoping that Microsoft's show this year hits the heights as it will hopefully force Sony's hands on some of their not disclosed projects so far.

That has to be something big boiling underneath the surface.

Hezekiah

Banned
I think there will be some massive announcements coming from Sonys this year.

I am really hoping that Microsoft's show this year hits the heights as it will hopefully force Sony's hands on some of their not disclosed projects so far.

That has to be something big boiling underneath the surface.
Yeah there are almost certainly a number of unannounced projects because Sony is taking their time with announcements nowadays, which is why Hendrick's post above is off the mark.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So he’s a hypocrite?

Meme Think GIF

No offense Hendrick's Hendrick's while I do support you reporting console warring posts it’s still not correct to do the same.

I guess what you need to ask is should I report what I just posted?
Again, that was a few days ago. I admit I became retaliatory and lost my cool a bit. I am trying to new approach.

Top Bottom