• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of info on God of War Ragnarok is concerning

Borowski_1

It's been 6 months since we had the only thing that can be labled as "info". So it's now April and we're yet to have a release date, or anything new , really

With the recent news from Sony shifting towards acquisitions, VR 2 and PS Plus, i fear the game might not come this year if we don't get anything this month. And that's because i don't see it releasing in October-December, as it's not the way Sony usually works with big games

What do you think?

you mean this?

to me this could be just PR talk

They wouldn’t have said anything at all if it wasn’t possible. That indicates to me that they believe they can release it this year. Reassuring people that a game will come out this year when they know there’s no chance isn’t the right thing to do.

Lognor

Banned
They wouldn’t have said anything at all if it wasn’t possible. That indicates to me that they believe they can release it this year. Reassuring people that a game will come out this year when they know there’s no chance isn’t the right thing to do.
I dunno. How is this different from Sony having firm release dates in 2021 for GT7 and HZD2 and both ended up being delayed?

I think it gets delayed. Sony doesn't usually hold games this close to their chest less than a year before release.

I dunno. How is this different from Sony having firm release dates in 2021 for GT7 and HZD2 and both ended up being delayed?

I think it gets delayed. Sony doesn't usually hold games this close to their chest less than a year before release.

With HFW they started to release a ton of footage right before launch. Same could happen with GoW.

yurinka

It's been 6 months since we had the only thing that can be labled as "info". So it's now April and we're yet to have a release date, or anything new , really

With the recent news from Sony shifting towards acquisitions, VR 2 and PS Plus, i fear the game might not come this year if we don't get anything this month. And that's because i don't see it releasing in October-December, as it's not the way Sony usually works with big games

What do you think?
I think they didn't show the GoWR card because had more prioritary cards to market during these months: all the exclusives or games with marketting deal they have been releasing, plus announcing some stuff they also had to announce like PSVR2 and the new PS Plus.

I think that once they promoted all the stuff they had to promote during H1, which I think we'll see another acquisition, a couple of smaller tier exclusives, more PS+ info, some OS stuff like Discord or VRR they'll move to announce or reveal the main H2 2022 + H1 2023 stuff and to market it. Specially H2 stuff. I think we'll get a Statte of Play focused on bigger exclusives, another one more focused on indies and multis with marketing deals, maybe another one to announced date and price of VR2 and is launch window games, and once closer to release a GoWR focused SoP.

Marketing has some timings, and Sony has their schedule and roadmap. They'll show it at the proper moment.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
With HFW they started to release a ton of footage right before launch. Same could happen with GoW.
Looking back at the trailers, it looks like Sony did a big gameplay reveal in May of 2021 for HFW. At that point it was slated to be out in 2021, but we know how that went. So if we assume the same with GOW2, we should see something more in the next month or two. But even then, like with HZD, it could still see a delay into 2023.

But I guess it is in the same situation as Starfield. Both games we've seen very little of. Both games are due out this year. Both studios have indicated recently that their games will be out this year. So maybe we should believe them?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm not concerned in the least. I bet it will be pushed to 2023, but that's because everything gets delayed these days.

SkylineRKR

I reckon we'll get a lot of info and footage around early summer. This game absolutely seems to be set for 2022. Its only early April. They could show it in June and release it in October or so.

mortal

Gold Member
tumblr_m5ekqzhILS1r0wxq8o1_250.gifv

Lognor

Banned
I think they didn't show the GoWR card because had more prioritary cards to market during these months: all the exclusives or games with marketting deal they have been releasing, plus announcing some stuff they also had to announce like PSVR2 and the new PS Plus.

I think that once they promoted all the stuff they had to promote during H1, which I think we'll see another acquisition, a couple of smaller tier exclusives, more PS+ info, some OS stuff like Discord or VRR they'll move to announce or reveal the main H2 2022 + H1 2023 stuff and to market it. Specially H2 stuff. I think we'll get a Statte of Play focused on bigger exclusives, another one more focused on indies and multis with marketing deals, maybe another one to announced date and price of VR2 and is launch window games, and once closer to release a GoWR focused SoP.

Marketing has some timings, and Sony has their schedule and roadmap. They'll show it at the proper moment.
So you think GOW2 will release this year, yet Starfield will slip to 2023? Interesting how that works...

Looking back at the trailers, it looks like Sony did a big gameplay reveal in May of 2021 for HFW. At that point it was slated to be out in 2021, but we know how that went. So if we assume the same with GOW2, we should see something more in the next month or two. But even then, like with HZD, it could still see a delay into 2023.

But I guess it is in the same situation as Starfield. Both games we've seen very little of. Both games are due out this year. Both studios have indicated recently that their games will be out this year. So maybe we should believe them?

I know your really looking forward to the game. I wouldn’t worry about it to be honest. SSM knows what they are doing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Plenty of time to still make 2022.

trust me, if it’s not coming out this year, Sony will wait until august/September to tell us. No way they are having 9 months without a big game.

Sony has 18 studios. Most of them are developing multiple games.
God of War Ragnarok is the only game that we actually have gameplay released.
Besides that one we got 2 trailers from 2 Insomniac games and that's it.

We have a lack of information regarding all Sony studios not just that one game.

They only need one more state of play of God of War with a release date which I'm sure they will give us sooner than later. I don't think there's more information to give us...

Yoboman

Gold Member
Its going to be a pretty lite marketing campaign until launch

They dont really need to do much to convince people

God of War 2018's release date was revealed 3 months prior to release. If this is a Fall game, Sony still has plenty of time before they have to reveal the date.

It’s a bit early in the year to be speculating a delay. I mean sure anything’s possible but is there any evidence to suggest that a delay is happening?

Top Bottom