• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of video games fucking sucks

Tschumi

I totally agree with you OP, though the fourth genre is "Indy", in which the best games will be built with purposefully antiquated playstyles...

I'm just banking on growing out of games by the time this stuff happens.

DavJay

Sony is playing checker. Microsoft is playing monopoly. 😂

80 billion and 2 years. Doubt they are done because they proved they are ALL IN the gaming space. Take two and EA are next. Wasn’t too long ago when they went after Warner bros.

Kagey K

Banned
Sony is playing checker. Microsoft is playing monopoly. 😂

80 billion and 2 years. Doubt they are done because they proved they are ALL IN the gaming space. Take two and EA are next. Wasn’t too long ago when they went after Warner bros.
Member when people used to meme the war chest like it wasn't a real thing?

Beechos

They are all mint because i know how to look after my games, and it's my games room so guess what it's full of games, i guess you'd hate seeing the other side too.

Keep paying for your games & owning nothing all mine don't require a internet connection and a 50 gig day 1 update. And who wants to be normal lol man what a weakass attempt at an attack. It's ok once you start working you'll be able to afford your games too instead of renting them all.
It just depends on your lifesytle. I work myself and can afford anything gaming related i want. I just prefer the convience of digital having everything avail to me at once, not having to swap discs, install games remotely, i can just unplug my 14tb external and take my entire xbox library with me when i travel. Between work and family i dont want to be agrravated when its my time to relax i just want shit to work and avail. Theres value to both sides.

I agree with you, OP, but my main issue is generational. I am in the minority, but I do not like the Netflix model at all. I get how freaking convenient it is, but I still, and will always prefer physical over digital/streaming. The rise of the subscription model has impacted movie theaters and the cinema experience, to the point that people almost only abondon their couch when a Marvel flick is on the menu (Thanks, consolidation!)...
But this is a change that is taking place in the videogames industry whether you and I like it or not.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is somewhat true the future of gaming will be subscription based and will eventually change to Netflix style with no need to download at all.

I don't mind the fact it's 9:99 or anything but it's the fact I don't own. That's what annoys me the most. They have complete control and they will have the option to remove anything they want. Far too many people keep talking about cloud gaming and it's issues. Are you telling me that these issues will last 10 to 15 years from now? No no they won't

I'm not just on about MS here because they're not going to be the only ones doing it. MS are just smarter and can see its coming years from now.
Yeah there is no choice with digital.
The game is on not your server. Denuvo servers can die, game can be patched to some terrible version and you have no control. Like gta4… fuckers removed original music and added a requirement for rockstar launcher… on my 10yo copy.
Or Fuel(old racing game). It activates with securom online or something…. It doesn’t always work.

With disc, you always have a choice to at least play day0 version. The game is always as you bought it on release. Plus the disc and box look nice. You have something.

And nobody throws away games. It’s not ending up on a landfill. Digital is also not environment free.

chriskun

Buy everything
Own nothing

I still buy physical discs when I can. It feels even better now because it feels like going against the grain
Yeah, I definitely pattern my behaviors on being contrarian to others behaviors/wants too. Recently I’ve even been enjoying a hot steaming pile of shit for breakfast because I know that enjoying the taste of shit is really sticking it to all those sheep! LATER POSERS!

Griffon

I'm with you OP. Trillion $ corporation making huge moves to choke the life out of the industry and creators, and nobody bats an eye.

If you think this monolitic subscription centered business is gonna end well for the quality and variety of games that can succeed, you're just dumb. Before long those subscription corpos will decide what gets to be made and what doesn't. People are gonna be too lazy and poor to buy games outside their vampiric game renting services.

You're not gonna save any money either btw. Before long renting price is gonna go up, and they'll push buying prices to go up in tandem (it's already the case for MS Studio exclusives, Forza Horizon 3 was never on sale under 30€ even tho the game is positively prehistoric, pushing you toward rent).

Last edited:
Agreed. Everyone is drunk on “free games” juice right now they don’t even realize they are being fattened up for the inevitable streaming future of gaming that is constantly sapping you for more money.

Nothing that happened this week gave anyone MORE options it just took more options away. Absolutely nothing new was created, an absurd amount of money was spent, and it didn’t change anything. They can say gamepass is available to more people, but as long as everything is in their eco system on their terms you are losing options.

Thats whats really happening the future of gaming is jsut getting more narrow and consolidated into a smaller group of decision makers.

Last edited:
The days of devs just creating what they want without corporate interference is gone and it can be felt imo, the way Hollywood works has bled into gaming where decisions are made by suits in a boardroom and you have people telling you '' no '' more than '' yes '' as to what to put into your game.
Those games are still out there. It’s just that the 2K, Madden and COD folk don’t care for them.

Algorithm? Sure. Probably. But what data are they feeding it? Consumers created the current state. The market is just a reflection of it.

Monopoly ALWAYS make things more expensive and in the end much worse..

What monopoly? The number 1 and 2 consoles in the world are not made by Microsoft. The top selling consoles of all time are not made by Microsoft. For every Activision/Blizzard title/genre I could name dozens of alternatives you could play.

You have plenty of choice. There is no monopoly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, I definitely pattern my behaviors on being contrarian to others behaviors/wants too. Recently I’ve even been enjoying a hot steaming pile of shit for breakfast because I know that enjoying the taste of shit is really sticking it to all those sheep! LATER POSERS!
How funny of you... go, join the rest of facebook moms now

The entire turn that the industry has taken is crazy to me. I never would've thought it would deviate/evolve in this direction. Ironically, it makes me long for the late 2000's/early 2010's compared to what things have become now. The mass consolidation that's happening throughout the industry is just a sad affair. Not to mention the NFTs and Metaverse that's brewing on the horizon.

Btw, you better listen to this guy if you're still considering retro though:

OP best get yourself some retro stuff on the cheap while you still can otherwise it'll be RIP for you.

The second hand/used games market prices are already inflating and when, or if, the future of gaming gets fully engulfed in subscription services and Gaas... the entry price will likely climb even higher.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Consolidation. Subscription services. Streaming. All digital. No physical media. No ownership. Sky high prices. Three genres; FPS shooters, racing and open world RPG. Throw in a yearly FIFA for variety. I'm done with modern gaming after this console generation. I'm going retro. It was a good run. Have fun.

Lol.

Clam down.

A streaming plus subscription only future will be good for gaming. Imagine, never having to pay not only for another game ever again, but also never having to buy dedicated gaming hardware. Imagine a world where every game from every publisher is dropped on a subscription service day one, can be streamed to any device and it'll never leave the service. Every game ever made will be instantly accessable.

I was going to get a PC, but the prices are so insane that it's just not worth it. Why pay all that money when in the future I can stream any game to my phone? Buying games (digital or physical) and dedicated hardware is soooooooo archaic that it's almost comical.

Bring on the streaming and subscription only future! I'm willing to pay whatever it costs.

Boy Meets World Drama GIF

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What monopoly? The number 1 and 2 consoles in the world are not made by Microsoft. The top selling consoles of all time are not made by Microsoft. For every Activision/Blizzard title/genre I could name dozens of alternatives you could play.

You have plenty of choice. There is no monopoly.
Exactly. People keep screaming monopoly right after Microsoft made an acquisition, when Sony dominate the home console for decades and acquired 5 studios last year, is hilarious.

And there are countless indie releasing numerous games everyday on Steam. Bunch of alternatives around. If anyone refuses to play these unknown gems its on them.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

First thing MS should do is just let Activision guys manage all MS studios. They are probably the best publishers in overseeing production. MS should just move most of the guys managing their studios now to other divisions at the company.
As much as people will give you shit for this statement I agree - Activision can be a frat culture company, but on the business side and operations they ace it. They would never allowed projects to slip like Bioware or Blizzard (which I think was a result of the company getting too much autonomy).

Smokken

Banned
Consolidation. Subscription services. Streaming. All digital. No physical media. No ownership. Sky high prices. Three genres; FPS shooters, racing and open world RPG. Throw in a yearly FIFA for variety. I'm done with modern gaming after this console generation. I'm going retro. It was a good run. Have fun.
Haven't seen sky high prices yet. There's tons of free games to enjoy if you're struggling economically. Rocket League/Path of Exile/Warframe/Warzone/Genshin Impact/Lost Ark....the list is endless.

makaveli60

Games are getting increasingly more expensive meanwhile subscription services give you a whole catalogue of games for a much lower monthly price. Its a literal buffet of games.

How does this scenario suck. I can't afford to keep shelling out $70 on A game. I must have spent thousands last gen on PS4 games.
Xbox has GamePass and I spend like $19 a month and get access to all their big AAA titles (in addition to old gen games) and now big 3rd party AAA's from the Bethesda and Activision purchase. The same with EA and Ubisoft. Access to all their games for a low monthly fee.

What about this sucks?
You type these posts yet you can’t see the problem? Do you think that in the long run you will get these increasingly more expensive games with increasing quality for a couple of cents? I mean, there is no logic in that you say games are getting more and more expensive but you play them cheaper and cheaper. Something will have to give in down the road. And most of us assume it will be the quality of these games.

Last edited:

Rran

Just buy Nintendo systems, man.

Thavash

As a Sega fan , hoping silently for 20 years that i’d wake up one day to some crazy news that they’re releasing a new console, i was constantly told that only Sony and MS can compete in the hardware wars because of their deep pockets.

Yesterday , the hardware war became a content war, a game of even deeper pockets …

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah there is no choice with digital.
The game is on not your server. Denuvo servers can die, game can be patched to some terrible version and you have no control. Like gta4… fuckers removed original music and added a requirement for rockstar launcher… on my 10yo copy.
Or Fuel(old racing game). It activates with securom online or something…. It doesn’t always work.

With disc, you always have a choice to at least play day0 version. The game is always as you bought it on release. Plus the disc and box look nice. You have something.

And nobody throws away games. It’s not ending up on a landfill. Digital is also not environment free.

Digital is a fantastic OPTION and it should only remain as such. It should not be the only way we can access/buy/play these games. Streaming even less so.

I find it utterly baffling that some of the people in this thread are actively championing for the death of physical. Championing for the removal of consumer rights. All the while actively creating some of the most asinine/brainless claims and arguments I have seen in years.

Digital is nothing more than prolonged rentals. As soon as you lose access to said servers, you lose access to those games. “But this never happens!“ some will claim - except it does. Remember the Wii?

“Digital is better for the environment!“ Except it is just as bad. Still produces tons of pollution, requires huge server farms - hell some games are sold with a box and nothing but a scrap of paper for the game! That is arguably *worse* for the environment As it serves literally no purpose unlike normal disc/cart based games.

„All games are busted at release!“ No. This has never been the case and it is growing *less* true every time a new game is released. The vast majority of games are more than acceptable on Launch discs. It’s only a handful of shitty AAA titles that are typically not playable with the disc.

Lol.

Clam down.

A streaming plus subscription only future will be good for gaming. Imagine, never having to pay not only for another game ever again, but also never having to buy dedicated gaming hardware. Imagine a world where every game from every publisher is dropped on a subscription service day one, can be streamed to any device and it'll never leave the service. Every game ever made will be instantly accessable.

I was going to get a PC, but the prices are so insane that it's just not worth it. Why pay all that money when in the future I can stream any game to my phone? Buying games (digital or physical) and dedicated hardware is soooooooo archaic that it's almost comical.

Bring on the streaming and subscription only future! I'm willing to pay whatever it costs.

Imagine never owning a game again. Never getting the choice of whether you want to trade in a game. Sell a game. Lend a game to a friend. Imagine never being able to play a game because you dared live in a place that doesn‘t have amazing internet (y‘know, the majority of the fucking world).

This is some of the most pants-on-head-retarded anti-consumer shilling I have ever read. I have never been a fan of „[x] is ruining gaming!“ discussions, but quite frankly it is folks like you who gave companies the reason to screw consumers over more and more.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Digital is a fantastic OPTION and it should only remain as such. It should not be the only way we can access/buy/play these games. Streaming even less so.

I find it utterly baffling that some of the people in this thread are actively championing for the death of physical. Championing for the removal of consumer rights. All the while actively creating some of the most asinine/brainless claims and arguments I have seen in years.

Digital is nothing more than prolonged rentals. As soon as you lose access to said servers, you lose access to those games. “But this never happens!“ some will claim - except it does. Remember the Wii?

“Digital is better for the environment!“ Except it is just as bad. Still produces tons of pollution, requires huge server farms - hell some games are sold with a box and nothing but a scrap of paper for the game! That is arguably *worse* for the environment As it serves literally no purpose unlike normal disc/cart based games.

„All games are busted at release!“ No. This has never been the case and it is growing *less* true every time a new game is released. The vast majority of games are more than acceptable on Launch discs. It’s only a handful of shitty AAA titles that are typically not playable with the disc.

Imagine never owning a game again. Never getting the choice of whether you want to trade in a game. Sell a game. Lend a game to a friend. Imagine never being able to play a game because you dared live in a place that doesn‘t have amazing internet (y‘know, the majority of the fucking world).

This is some of the most pants-on-head-retarded anti-consumer shilling I have ever read. I have never been a fan of „[x] is ruining gaming!“ discussions, but quite frankly it is folks like you who gave companies the reason to screw consumers over more and more.
Exactly! Fantastic write up on this!
Digital is a great option but should not become the only one.
More about playing the game without patches.
Keep in mind that reviewers usually get to review and give scores of 9 and 10 to versions without patches. Or with day1 patch.
Most of us would not know about existing bugs and issues of it was not for internet videos.
So game discs at least have a playable full online game. In comparison to boxes with cardboard cd key inside.

PhaseJump

Banned
Entertainment is disposable. In an on demand world, old content competes with time spent consuming new content. Gamers who whine about the sanctity of physical media collecting over digital have missed the mark. Media can last longer than server access, yet access fails as long as the media is locked to obsolete hardware standards. To me, arguing over owning walls of plastic is retarded in an era where most don't have the means to own real estate, and many choose to cut their own throats by supporting fundamentally fucking stupid DRM agendas. The Death Star piloted by Mickey Mouse has already blasted copyright law and public domain/access consumer rights. Now we have tractors and electric cars where you spend top dollar for garbage quality, and aren't entitled to repair anything.

I have said era too many times in this post. I think I can feel my dick falling off as a consequence. I have no point to make here other than to point out that you're all retarded. Thanks, Obama.

Quit driving yourselves to depression imagining the worst. Go play some games people, there are millions of them, multiple thousands of those are decent, thousands are actually really good and you couldn't even play 1/4 of those in your lifetime.

If you don't like how things are looking going forward try looking backward at the stuff you missed.

I've been playing more games lately. There is just more to play. More available old and new. Takes no time to download a big AAA release on day 1. 100GB? I'll have it faster than finding my keys and driving to gamestop, standing in line, having to get the wife something she forgot at the store, beer of course I swear she either drinks it all or is afraid to be seen buying it.
I have all the systems. Gamepass keeps us fed, Steam Deck up next on the list.
Speaking of, out of beer and Gamestop. The used game prices way to high. Tried to pick up a copy of Ghost of Tsushima and they did not have a copy of the PS5 version. They had PS4 versions but price was the same, high. Going to wait for that game to hit PS+.

Klik

What's wrong with streaming and subscription service?

I would love to see game streaming IF ITS WORKING CORRECTLY on my TV. Pay 20-30$ a month to play all games, im down for it.

Times are changing. Maybe after PS6 we won't see traditional console anymore.

I also think most of the games will be on VR. Im excited for the future😁

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I've been playing more games lately. There is just more to play. More available old and new.
Yes, there is. Its wonderful.
Takes no time to download a big AAA release on day 1. 100GB? I'll have it faster than finding my keys and driving to gamestop, standing in line, having to get the wife something she forgot at the store, beer of course I swear she either drinks it all or is afraid to be seen buying it.
Depends on where you live. Faster for me to jog 5 miles to a Gamestop and buy it there and jog back. You greatly overestimate the quality and speed of most people‘s internet connections.
I have all the systems. Gamepass keeps us fed, Steam Deck up next on the list.
Let us know how Steam Deck is! I would kill to have a portable handheld device for some old school gaming like ULTIMA or Sim City. I just don‘t trust Valve will actually support it for more than a revision or two before shutting it down like they did with everything else they make.
Speaking of, out of beer and Gamestop. The used game prices way to high. Tried to pick up a copy of Ghost of Tsushima and they did not have a copy of the PS5 version. They had PS4 versions but price was the same, high. Going to wait for that game to hit PS+.
Look for thrift shops. Salvation Army. Local game stores. Used game prices are often far, far more acceptable there. I was able to pick up things like Ghost of Tsushima for 4 bucks just a few weeks after launch.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I'm fine with not owning my games, either digital or physical. Such an outdated concept.

Think of this. Microsoft (or Sony) offered you a streaming and subscription service that had every game ever made (minus first party stuff per platform) and also guaranteed the games would never leave the service, all for a monthly payment. You're telling me you would rather buy individual games like it's 1999, rather sign up to this? Get out of here!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm fine with not owning my games, either digital or physical. Such an outdated concept.

Think of this. Microsoft (or Sony) offered you a streaming and subscription service that had every game ever made (minus first party stuff per platform) and also guaranteed the games would never leave the service, all for a monthly payment. You're telling me you would rather buy individual games like it's 1999, rather sign up to this? Get out of here!

Yes, I would. I would rather OWN my games than rent them. Being tied to internet connections. Being told how and when I can play the games I want to play. Having the fear that a single angry, bitter cunt can have me banned and lose access to said games.

Fuck that shit. But I am sure the companies will gladly drop their trousers so you can continue to please them while having less and less rights as a consumer. Just make sure to cover up your teeth and use ample tongue.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What's wrong with streaming and subscription service?

I would love to see game streaming IF ITS WORKING CORRECTLY on my TV. Pay 20-30$ a month to play all games, im down for it.

Times are changing. Maybe after PS6 we won't see traditional console anymore.

I also think most of the games will be on VR. Im excited for the future😁
Because purists (which some reason they are a-ok with tv, movie and music sub plans) have a mentality that you got to "own your games". And that streaming stinks.

But if you are a-ok with sub plans or streaming some games on whatever device you game on is good enough, youre pigeon holed as a traitor to gaming as you dont play and pay for games like guys buying every game.

It's like if you prefer to lease a car every 4 years, someone who prefers to finance a car for ownership thinks you're a piece of shit for leasing.

(but other sub plans are ok so dont bring those up)

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Yes, I would. I would rather OWN my games than rent them. Being tied to internet connections. Being told how and when I can play the games I want to play. Having the fear that a single angry, bitter cunt can have me banned and lose access to said games.

Fuck that shit. But I am sure the companies will gladly drop their trousers so you can continue to please them while having less and less rights as a consumer. Just make sure to cover up your teeth and use ample tongue.

You own fuck all as long as you're still tied to dead or dying hardware reliance, when accessing your plastic. There needs to be ownership of a stronger public domain, and a shift to universal media standard you can use to play or download the game you bought on all platforms, sources for downloads being mirrored and preserved beyond just the game network of the platform you use.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You own fuck all as long as you're still tied to dead or dying hardware reliance, when accessing your plastic. There needs to be ownership of a stronger public domain, and a shift to universal media standard you can use to play or download the game you bought on all platforms, sources for downloads being mirrored and preserved beyond just the game network of the platform you use.
So true.

When everyone was buying CDs, you can play that Best of Simon & Garfunkel CD you bought at HMV for $10 on:

Any brand of:

- Stereo system
- Portable players
- Disc based game systems
- Car CD player
- DVD player
- PC/Laptop optical drive

Nobody gives a shit. You dont see a music label say some CDs are good for stereos and some are good for your car CD player. One purchase has access to all platforms.

PhaseJump

Banned
Nobody gives a shit, yet they argue about digital not being real ownership, all points negated by their own existing lack of ownership while hoarding trash with no free access. Retarded shit all around. Regulators need to put a framework together for digital property, now more than ever with NFT shit going around, yet plastic hoarding dumb cunts are whining and blaming other consumers, equally fucked by DRM schemes and trends in the industry.

IDKFA

I understand your point. It's nice to own things. I personally own a large book collection, so I get the passion of collecting.

But with gaming I feel differently. I wouldn't mind paying Microsoft and Sony as much money as they wanted if it means I could stream day one releases from major publishers, plus have a library of thousands of other games to play whenever and wherever.

They could charge me what ever they wanted and I'd even give them a reach round as well.

Thanks for the tip of covering my teeth and using extra tongue. I'm always thankful to receive tips from professionals.

Tuff McNutt

The entire turn that the industry has taken is crazy to me. I never would've thought it would deviate/evolve in this direction. Ironically, it makes me long for the late 2000's/early 2010's compared to what things have become now. The mass consolidation that's happening throughout the industry is just a sad affair. Not to mention the NFTs and Metaverse that's brewing on the horizon.

Btw, you better listen to this guy if you're still considering retro though:

The second hand/used games market prices are already inflating and when, or if, the future of gaming gets fully engulfed in subscription services and Gaas... the entry price will likely climb even higher.
Retro game prices have been insane for a couple of years, to the point where I stopped buying physical games. Like even repro carts can go for $50+. If you just want to play the games, you're much better off getting an Everdrive, modding one of the mini consoles, or building a Raspberry Pi.

You type these posts yet you can’t see the problem? Do you think that in the long run you will get these increasingly more expensive games with increasing quality for a couple of cents? I mean, there is no logic in that you say games are getting more and more expensive but you play them cheaper and cheaper. Something will have to give in down the road. And most of us assume it will be the quality of these games.
Do you have any proof that future game quality will suffer because of subscription services?
Do you really think future games from Xbox, PS, Nintendo will consist of only indies and no AAA's?

JackMcGunns

Last I checked, you could still buy physical copies of pretty much anything, oh and high prices can be mitigated with a subscription service which kind of contradicts your comment.

PS. Consolidation began when Sega left the console market and all studios went to develop for the PS2 trojan horse, but no one cared about consolidation then because it was their favorite piece of plastic. Having a service that can be used on PC, Nintendo and even PlayStation if Sony allows it is the best thing that could ever happen to gaming if consolidation is inevitable.

*That last part reminded me of Thanos

Top Bottom