• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of video games fucking sucks

Astral Dog

There is a disruption in the force, a storm is approaching

i think people are overreacting, Nintendo is doing very healthy with their business, PlayStation is still selling consoles and eventually will show a bunch of highly anticipated exclusives, GamePass is gonna stay. Maybe one day the others will change their business model to take on GP if needed , maybe not.

I don't like consolidation either but the only thing i seen is worried fanboys hoping Sony counterattacks by purchasing other companies, best thing to do is enjoy what you like now, hoping one takes over be Microsoft or other is silly imo, both Sony and Nintendo have been selling games for a long time, they won't go without a fight to keep their piece of the gaming pie 🥧

Last edited:

JayK47

I've been a gamer for a long while now. Before home consoles there were arcades. Slim selection and $20 of coins lasted a few hours. Then came consoles and at $50+ per game, you had to rent and trade a lot to save money. Most old games were shit if we are honest with ourselves. Only a few were any good and still not worth $50 in the 80s. I can play so many games for cheap and many places give stuff away for free. You could game all year now and not spend a penny on games.

Novacain

Consolidation. Subscription services. Streaming. All digital. No physical media. No ownership. Sky high prices. Three genres; FPS shooters, racing and open world RPG. Throw in a yearly FIFA for variety. I'm done with modern gaming after this console generation. I'm going retro. It was a good run. Have fun.
Hey.

You're getting older now.

It's okay, just let it be. The retro games you love were the same thing, namely corporations trying to convince kids to convince their parents to part with cash.

If the tactics they used 15-20 years ago to achieve this same result appeal to you more, that's totally okay; go ahead and focus on that content and enjoy yourself.

I guess you just couldn't help but seethe and mope a bit on the way?

Cheer up, it's going to be alright.

clintar

You could collect retro arcade cabinets
Edit: Might be tough though. You'd have to let your hair grow long and let yourself go a bit.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Indies have never been more prevalent than now. With indies popular on the Switch and lots coming to XSX and PS5. So, that's a plus. Now the AAA developers have issues. I have no problem with consolidation as long as the studios can make their games (unlike what happened with Toys For Bob and Vicarious Visions). Microsoft has infused money into studios to allow them to make their games. That's good.

My problem is the lack of originality in the AAA space. It's all sequels, remasters, 'directors cuts' (looking at you Sony), ports, remakes.....etc....there are very few AAA new IP's. Fortunately there are some coming out this year like Elden Ring, Forespoken, Starfield but overall it's 80% existing IP's.

Yes, the MTX, digital games, NFT's are all making this unbearable but hopefully the new IP's come and people get their heads out of their asses when it comes to fleecing the consumer.

Like I've said in the past, we are in a golden age for games. There are more games from every genre than there have ever been. There are triple A all the way to indie in every genre. It is easier than ever to play classic games if that is what you want. You can buy physical, digital, or subscribe to a service. The consoles have larger libraries than they have ever had, PC gaming has more games than it's ever had. I mean I am looking forward to like 20 games this year, and there is no chance I have enough time to play them all......

assurdum

Banned
I don't know, will see how will end. Force so much the industry to this path, it doesn't work like that, especially put so much money blindly. Costumers will decide as always, not the MS money. Mind you I read here and there Netflix and subscription service start to saturate very quickly; paywall service strategies can't work forever.

Last edited:
Consolidation. Subscription services. Streaming. All digital. No physical media. No ownership. Sky high prices. Three genres; FPS shooters, racing and open world RPG. Throw in a yearly FIFA for variety. I'm done with modern gaming after this console generation. I'm going retro. It was a good run. Have fun.
Sadly that is how things are going, also do not forget the NFT scam. You can check indie games, they do have more variety, and some games are amazing.

Fredrik

Do you hate Spotify and Netflix?
I don’t. And that’s what we’re getting in gaming, but without quality decrease, for now, since we still download the content in it’s original quality.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m happy mostly thanks to AA games and Japanese games.

But if all I played was AAA western games then maybe I could have sympathize with you.

mortal

Gold Member
I can understand where you're coming from OP, but you don't have to go full on luddite and only play retro.
If you like owning your games and being able to resell them then continue buying physical copies of the titles you're most interested in.

If you are concerned about the ongoing consolidation of the industry by huge corporations, which I also am,
then make an effort to try out more 3rd party titles in both the smaller indie and AAA sectors that you otherwise might not have before.

If you are growing tired of the same conventional game design, genres, and settings then support developers that are exploring unconventional or experimental game design and unique settings.
Again I can understand the sentiment to some extent, but being that cynical is an overreaction when you still have options as a consumer.
There are so many games both new and old that you would need several lifetimes to play most of them. Ultimately just play whatever you like.

Honey Bunny

And apparently no more fucking E3. I'm with you. At least there are a fuckton of interesting non-AAA games on PC.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

There’s more variety in gaming today than any period in history. If you don’t see it you’re playing the wrong games.

Physical media disappearing sucks but it was going to happen sooner or later. I don’t think gaming will become a subscription-only medium though. I don’t see Steam going anywhere anytime soon.

ZoukGalaxy

I Agree.
Doctor Who Reaction GIF

Bragr

Banned
I'm not so concerned about subscriptions, what concerns me is the Call of Duty format, where you use several great studios to produce one game each year.

The big game publishers have been killing themselves for years to be like the movie industry. It's been worse since the streaming services got popular. Appears now that they have their wish come true: games will be streamed and become just another service, ownership by the consumer is going away.

So like the music industry before and movies now, games become just another "consume and move on" throwaway style media. It's happening and it fucking sucks.

Catphish

As someone who’s been in gaming since Pong, and has seen the complete evolution of the industry, I completely get where Mr Hyde Mr Hyde is coming from.

I really dislike where things have gone, especially over the last decade, and I loathe most of what he mentioned. But there is a bright spot, in that there is such a diverse spread of games to be played now, I can find my niche. I can find stuff that I like.

I actually like Gamepass, a lot, because I can try all kinds of stuff I normally wouldn’t. In fact, I’d call Gamepass one of the best things to happen to my gaming hobby in quite some time.

Take a break if you need to, but all hope is not gone.

Impotaku

I'm finding all the pearl clutching hilarious over this, it's got people shook to their core today the drama and toy flailing LOLOLOL. The price of copium is going up by the hour, i wish microsoft would do the industry a favour and keeo buying everything up they have my support. if they buy ea, ubisoft & cd project it can be the platform that contains all the western turd peddlers keep it all exclusive in one ecosystem releasing their buggy unfinished AAA mtx ridden trash. I mean they already have bethesda & activision now just need the other 3 to complete the set.

It's been great watching this unfold with zero fallout for me as i don't buy games from any of those 5 they might as well not exist for all the effect it has personally. Watching people meltdown is making my weds rather enjoyable so far, keep going poeple.

Esppiral

If you are going retro you could buy an Xbox series, blink blink.

PhaseJump

Banned
I'm finding all the pearl clutching hilarious over this, it's got people shook to their core today the drama and toy flailing LOLOLOL. The price of copium is going up by the hour, i wish microsoft would do the industry a favour and keeo buying everything up they have my support. if they buy ea, ubisoft & cd project it can be the platform that contains all the western turd peddlers keep it all exclusive in one ecosystem releasing their buggy unfinished AAA mtx ridden trash. I mean they already have bethesda & activision now just need the other 3 to complete the set.

It's been great watching this unfold with zero fallout for me as i don't buy games from any of those 5 they might as well not exist for all the effect it has personally. Watching people meltdown is making my weds rather enjoyable so far, keep going poeple.

When they randomly buy Sega, Bandai Namco, Falcom, Capcom, Konami, and 7 Eleven; I will look forward to your reassessment and weeaboo screeching.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, you're probably right on the playstation end.

that said, imagine being stuck playing Cyberpunk that comes on the disc..

Publishers use day 1 patches as too much of a crutch and it's only getting worse.
That cyberpunk disc will be interesting curiosity one day haha

Although there is a lot of bad things in modern gaming, there are some good things still like indie games being where innovation/creativity lays. Also in terms of ownership, digital can be done right as proven by gog.com and zoom-platform.com where you can keep the installer for the games for pc games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Streaming was great for TV, gaming is old school everything is centered around massive boxes you put in your house, I’m a fan of VR. Free games on game pass or ps plus is unbelievable.

Impotaku

When they randomly buy Sega, Bandai Namco, Falcom, Capcom, Konami, and 7 Eleven; I will look forward to your reassessment and weeaboo screeching.
Not really as i game between switch & ps4 and i already have more than enough games on both, even if your list was all bought up i have enough modern games already to last me a lifetime not even including all the hundreds of retro games i have. Been deprived of the latest dudebro shootbang & sportsball games are a non issue as i never play either of those genres to start with. Which is why i find the mini meltdowns on here soo funny it's been entertaining as hell all the doom & gloom oh noooo the end is near because my shootbang series has jumped consoles wahahahahahahaaa.

Can live without segas output, never played any falcom stuff lets see what else, capcom stuff is a rarity me buying anything think last thing was resi 3 remake can live without any more biohazard games, konami doesn't release anything new of note & 7-11 isn't even in the uk lol.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Literally haven’t bought a disc of anything since like 2012…once you embrace the digital library from iTunes to Xbox it’s hard to go back. The only shitty part was the break in BC on PS4 which has resulted in my buying most 3rd party stuff on Xbox or just using Gamepass.

Fbh

I've been hearing this gloom and doom for at least 5 years now but I'm still consistently getting games that interest me.

Yeah I think everything moving to a subscription model kinda sucks, and I'll support more traditional release models for as long as it's available (and reasonably priced). But even if everything does go to streaming/subscription I'll just deal with it and keep on playing for as long as there are games that appeal to me. If 5 years from now FROM releases Bloodborne 2 for some Sony subscription service I'm not going to forbid myself from playing it because "what if in 30 years I want to replay it and it's not available anymore?"

Last edited:

Majmun

I'm in for an all digital streaming future for gaming. Everyone is going to want to become the Netflix of gaming.
MS is securing this future and they're doing well. Gamepass is getting lots of worth added to it.

I think this is good for competition because Sony now has to do something about their services as well. I'm now a PSNOW subscriber and I feel fucked compared to what MS is offering with Gamepass.

If Sony wants to keep me subscribed, they have to offer me a better deal. I'm buying an Xbox anyway because of Gamepass.

So no, the future of gaming is very nice for me.

SSfox

As Long as Sony and other top tier Japanese devs and others are there Gaming will never sucks.

Last edited:

SSfox

Literally haven’t bought a disc of anything since like 2012…once you embrace the digital library from iTunes to Xbox it’s hard to go back. The only shitty part was the break in BC on PS4 which has resulted in my buying most 3rd party stuff on Xbox or just using Gamepass.
No BC is the biggest weakness of Sony right now, it's unbelievable how Sony doesn't seem to give a fuck about a such super important gaming feature.

PhaseJump

Banned
Not really as i game between switch & ps4 and i already have more than enough games on both, even if your list was all bought up i have enough modern games already to last me a lifetime not even including all the hundreds of retro games i have. Been deprived of the latest dudebro shootbang & sportsball games are a non issue as i never play either of those genres to start with. Which is why i find the mini meltdowns on here soo funny it's been entertaining as hell all the doom & gloom oh noooo the end is near because my shootbang series has jumped consoles wahahahahahahaaa.

Can live without segas output, never played any falcom stuff lets see what else, capcom stuff is a rarity me buying anything think last thing was resi 3 remake can live without any more biohazard games, konami doesn't release anything new of note & 7-11 isn't even in the uk lol.

john-constantine-youre-fucked.gif

The writing was on the wall during the Xbox 360 era.

My collection tells me otherwise but enjoy your rental future LOL, i can happily coexist outside the rental loop.
G4duqiq.jpg

And yes it's a shithole thats in need of a tidy up LOLOLOL
It's like seeing a computer that fills an entire room, except it's your media that you "own". Don't scratch a disc and enjoy your EULAs. Normal people don't want their house to look like this and take pride in their living environment..

Last edited:
Top Bottom