• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Executive Leadership at 343 Needs to Go

Jaysen

Banned
Jesus you guys are such savages. I'm guessing by the way that the post is worded the guy/gal meant to post in this recent thread but ended up here

Given his post history, it’s most likely due to being an idiot.

Three

Maybe, but this thread is one of the "similar threads" shown on the franchise thread so i can see how they ended up here with a post like that.

Last edited:
If they get rid of Bonnie Ross the overgrown babies in today’s culture will call them “misogynists”. Everything has to turn to cry baby shit. Nobody can earn anything based on MERIT anymore: they are too worried about getting blasted by the “woke” (more like stupid) crowd.
So what are views on nepotism and cronyism? (Which have existed for a long time).

Let's face it, there have always been ways for certain people to "earn" things without necessarily deserving them.

A number of posters have already been banned in this thread, even the OP by making stupid unsubstantiated comments. 343 just had a huge blowout of information for Halo Infinite and the vast majority of people loved what they saw. All this BS about 343 being badly managed should have stopped after the E3 showing.
That's where you're wrong. 343 is badly managed, Halo Infinite was just their latest mistake.

I guess you really like them but you gotta keep in mind Halo is nowhere close to where it was a decade ago before 343 took over. They managed to take one of the most beloved franchises and they burned it to the ground.

You need to remember what Halo was a decade ago. It could sell consoles just by itself, it was the best selling videogame of its time, it set record after record, it was the first blockbuster videogame, there was just nothing like it.

I can't even remember another franchise that people don't care about anymore as huge as Halo. The thing is, in any other company when you're in charge of a project and you give lackluster results you're probably gonna be fired. Not in 343 though, they've been giving bad results for almost a decade and there hasn't been any management change.

The 343 issue is almost the opposite, they want to be as lean as possible to rely heavily on contractors and out-sourced talent; most of the staff they have are project managers who are supposed to oversee the contractors and ensure they are properly onboarded and their work goes through the correct QA process. The problem is the project got stuck in gestation so long, anybody working on it now cannot even contact the original developers who have long gone, so despite not even being released the game has years of technical debt, messy code and lack of any real in-house knowledge of what's holding it all together. Add to that covid which ravaged a lot of their contractor workforce, and I feel really bad for the developers left holding the fort now and trying to get it in a releasable state. They've been hiring a lot the past 12-months so it feels like they are course correcting and should get it all sorted given enough time and money.
Project managers? Are you serious? That's even worse. That means there are probably a lot of project "managers" that haven't moved a finger, that haven even developed a Halo game and that are taking huge pay for being "managers".

I've never heard of a workplace composed of just managers lmao.

I must be one of the few genuinely happy with the state of the Halo franchise right now? 343 has done a great job of porting the MCC to PC, fixed the XBO version, managed to enhance it for X|S, Halo 5 multiplayer was the tits (campaign was meh), and they actually listened to criticism and now Infinite looks pretty baller. What am I missing?

FireFly

Lmao, so the apology and the delay was for the lolz? I thought they were acknowledging their mistake but I guess you know better.
It was a mistake to promise a date they couldn't hit. We don't know if the final product will be a "mistake" yet.

(Games get delayed and even re-worked all the time and both Halo 1 and 2 had chaotic development processes)

Corgi1985

Banned
I must be one of the few genuinely happy with the state of the Halo franchise right now? 343 has done a great job of porting the MCC to PC, fixed the XBO version, managed to enhance it for X|S, Halo 5 multiplayer was the tits (campaign was meh), and they actually listened to criticism and now Infinite looks pretty baller. What am I missing?
MCC shouldn't have needed fixing at this level to begin with and halo 5 was awful. Whoever thought the warden was a good idea should be fired.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I will try Halo Infinite only because I have gamepass already, but I really have no faith anything this studio does will ever be good. At least the good Halos have modern PC versions which have active MP and a decent amount of options.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
If Halo Infinite doesn't deliver, then yes, 343 leadership should go.
It will be hard to measure. The MP is free. They would have to fail spectacularly for it to not succeed in attaining a regular audience. I enjoyed what I saw of the MP, but I am still concerned about the campaign.

JLB

Banned

You are missing that Halo is Xbox, and theres plenty of Xbox haters here.

It was a mistake to promise a date they couldn't hit. We don't know if the final product will be a "mistake" yet.

(Games get delayed and even re-worked all the time and both Halo 1 and 2 had chaotic development processes)
This is a new one, I've never seen a fanboy say the backlash had nothing to do with the delay because they were planning on delaying it anyway. Congratulations.

Of course you're wrong, have you not read the apology for the lackluster showing? They said the game was going to release in November and they only announced the delay 3 months before launch and after all the backlash. A delay of a whole year.

Delaying a game a year is not bad management to you? You must be really great at whatever you do.

Last edited:
Infinite's development has not been handled well by this developer.
One can only hope they're on track with Halo for Xbox this year. It needs a big exclusive.

FireFly

This is a new one, I've never seen a fanboy say the backlash had nothing to do with the delay because they were planning on delaying it anyway. Congratulations.

Of course you're wrong, have you not read the apology for the lackluster showing? They said the game was going to release in November and they only announced the delay 3 months before launch and after all the backlash. A delay of a whole year.

Delaying a game a year is not bad management to you? You must be really great at whatever you do.
First of all, I never said that the backlash had nothing to do with the game being delayed. And secondly, the text of the apology literally said they "made the difficult decision to shift our release to 2021 to ensure the team has adequate time to deliver a Halo game experience that meets our vision". In other words, they couldn't meet their original vision with the 2020 deadline.

As far as the delay goes, I think it's fundamentally extremely hard to predict how long the game development process will take, because it often depends on the development of new and unproven technology, combined with a period of gameplay iteration in which ideas are continually tested and thrown away when they prove not to work. So in my opinion, the better you want the final product to be, the less predictable the development process will be. Valve, id, Blizzard, Nintendo etc. all work on a "when it's ready" model, not a "we have to ship to meet the quarterly deadline" model. But if you are happy with your standard pre-packaged CoD style shooter every year or two years, then fair enough.

Last edited:
As we see more of Halo Infinite it's only becoming more clear how much of an overreaction much of this stuff was. They just needed more time, but this game was always shaping up excellently. Also, I'd be very curious as to how many people in here actually ever intended on playing this game.

If Halo Infinite doesn't deliver, then yes, 343 leadership should go.
Well, 343 was responsible for the horrible state the game was in when it was supposed to launch alongside the Series S/X.

Then, Microsoft brought in a lot of outside help to work on the game. If the game does make a huge turnaround, which is quite likely, I'm not sure that should get 343 off the hook.

REDRZA MWS

So what are views on nepotism and cronyism? (Which have existed for a long time).

Let's face it, there have always been ways for certain people to "earn" things without necessarily deserving them.
Never said any of those make getting something handed to you the right way either. It’s the point of “getting something handed to you” for WHATEVER reason, instead of EARNING it.

This isn't the posting tone you should be using.

lefty1117

Gold Member
just been playing through Reach again today and looking through all the lore and unlockables and stuff in MCC. If they just go back to fighting covenant and the whole war grind stuff, it will be fine. They have a great IP that Bungie built for them, they just have to remember it and dive into it. STop with all this progenitus whatevers computer people stuff, give us Covenant, and flood, and covenant with flood on them

I don't think 343 will be going anywhere even if the Campaign sucks but the Multiplayer looks good so far and with it being F2P anyone with a PC can play it for free i think it will do major numbers might set some Steam records for Players count

JLB

Banned
just been playing through Reach again today and looking through all the lore and unlockables and stuff in MCC. If they just go back to fighting covenant and the whole war grind stuff, it will be fine. They have a great IP that Bungie built for them, they just have to remember it and dive into it. STop with all this progenitus whatevers computer people stuff, give us Covenant, and flood, and covenant with flood on them

Reach is such a masterpiece. it really deserves a remaster.

iHaunter

They're not salty, they're absolutely right. 343 barely made any progress or major strides given the POWER YOUR DREAMS nonsense Phil is pedaling.

A couple of texture reshades and people are losing their mind. Just shows how low their expectations are. Having said that, 343 is definitely holding Halo back.

Greggy

I would understand the animosity towards 343 if Halo Infinite had been released and was bad. The game got delayed, get over it. A delayed game is ultimately good.... you know the saying.
343 has never released a bad Halo. Only a few more months and if the game is bad, you'll have all the time and space to throw them to the wolves.
In my experience, people who scream for the head of the developers and leadership without having even seen the game running are a lot more interested in chaos than the actual game.

Three

Project managers? Are you serious? That's even worse. That means there are probably a lot of project "managers" that haven't moved a finger, that haven even developed a Halo game and that are taking huge pay for being "managers".

I've never heard of a workplace composed of just managers lmao.
It often happens when a company outsources. usually to somewhere with cheap labour like India or Eastern Europe.

TheGrat1

You need to remember what Halo was a decade ago. It could sell consoles just by itself, it was the best selling videogame of its time, it set record after record, it was the first blockbuster videogame, there was just nothing like it.
62295905bd41433e865449cfaeacd855.gif

Yeah, sure. There were no blockbusters before Halo. Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid,, Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto? All blips on the radar compared to the mighty Halo! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

truth777

Banned
I’m shocked after all of the controversy that they thought using a story cinematic at E3 would create hype. Ppl only care about gameplay now. All of that story crap is permaskipped after the first watch.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Well, 343 was responsible for the horrible state the game was in when it was supposed to launch alongside the Series S/X.

Then, Microsoft brought in a lot of outside help to work on the game. If the game does make a huge turnaround, which is quite likely, I'm not sure that should get 343 off the hook.
They had 3 project leads on this. Literally took them hiring Joe Staten to apparently get things on track. After the dust settles, Ross, O'Conner, and Wolfkill need to go. Staten should be made franchise development director (hell he came up with the Halo Bible along with Marcus Lehto... it's his baby), and a new studio head should be brought over (maybe someone from a successful studio they acquired?).

People must’ve forgotten Bungie before releasing Halo - Oni? Game kinda sucked - and the multiple delays on Halo and bad E3 performance. Then Halo 2 with it’s totally Bullshit e3 demo

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I nominate this thread for "most hyperbolic thread" of the year. You've exaggerated every issue and minimized every strength. There's not really much to see here.

Jaxcellent

They made some smart choices, the multiplayer part will probably be great, 9ish.

C'mon its Halo, Microsoft is making sure the multiplayer will succeed, a smart move: Free too play, maybe if they play their cards right, they could capture some of the Fortnite audience... Could become a father son thing for many people out there.

I'm curious and worried about the MTX, not to buy, because i don't care for stuff like that, but i see them offering low prices to make it seem cheap, the MTX on Fortnite is more link stealing money from kids, i gave my nephew 50 bucks, he spent it all on Fortnite 3 skins.

The campaign will probably not satisfy everyone. and will probably be 8.5 ish the graphics look great though especially in 4k.
It will probably be fun. If it is, i might pick up a XSEX, if i can find one in the wild that is.

I would understand the animosity towards 343 if Halo Infinite had been released and was bad. The game got delayed, get over it. A delayed game is ultimately good.... you know the saying.
343 has never released a bad Halo. Only a few more months and if the game is bad, you'll have all the time and space to throw them to the wolves.
In my experience, people who scream for the head of the developers and leadership without having even seen the game running are a lot more interested in chaos than the actual game.
Oh my god. 343 has never released a bad Halo? You obviously see the world upsidedown

WorldHero

Despite the clean up job on Infinite it's apparent the Executive Leadership needs a shake up, starting with Bonnie and Frank. I find it amusing and alarming that everyone else on these projects get blamed/fired and these people in "leadership" are continually rewarded or come out unscathed. The game was supposed to be a system seller at launch and failed miserably. That is a leadership/management problem not an employee problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom