• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind expansion announced

Somnia

I haven't been able to re-install my PC version on my new PC. I keep getting a "windows firewall is blocking part of javaw.exe". I tried excluding it, re-installing java and even turning windows firewall off to no avail.

Any suggestions?

I think that ESO doesn't suit well with traditional MMO thinking, where you are constantly chasing higher levels and better gear and hitting your head in the wall trying to get that one particular piece of armor. Especially now after the big change.

People can play it like that of course, but in my opinion it's more about the adventure and exploring and doing all kinds off neat stuff, much like the single player games.

I don't know, this playstyle gives me more satisfaction. But everyone is different and need to find that own style.

Champion points are a replacement to veteran levels. Your account shares a champion point level which is basically points you can spend in 9 different skill trees on any character you have leveled up 50.

Gear does not scale to your level, but as you level up any new gear you get as loot will be of your level, so you're constantly getting appropriate gear for the character you're playing.

CP is basically like iLVL as it relates to gear, but not to your skill trees. The highest level gear currently goes in the game is CP 160. The highest possible CP you can spend on your account is 561 (actually I think the last patch may have upped it to an even 600).

As for the end game, I don't know how it compares to back when Veteran levels existed because I did very little of it back in those days. End game is split up between Veteran 4-man dungeons and Veteran 12-man trials which are basically raids.

Most of the point of gear acquisition late game is waiting for RNG to bless you with equipment with a particular trait on it so you can get full BIS depending on your role and what you're doing (PvE or PvP).

WBs should have always been as tough as they are now. Most of them CAN still be soloed if you're cp160 and have pretty good gear, which is the way it should be. 5 or 6 is a bit of an exaggeration tho. Excepting the ones in the DLC zones, which are insanely difficult, most of them can be killed comfortably by 2 people.

Intetesting, so does that essiantlly make all the different kinds of sets still "viable?"

I have the monster set that summons a deadra randomly on hit, and I know it's probably not bis or anything like that but it's just too dope to not have. I can farm for a higher cp later I would imagine correct?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I think I may want to try this but I don't know. I hate how most MMO's are like weird hub worlds connected by corridors or fast travels. Is ESO truely open world (other than jumping from major region) or is it like Fibal Fantasy Online and just a bunch of smallish areas?

Levito

Banned
So so most people agree that this game has improved a lot since launch?

Seems like most people think it's good now?

BizzyBum

Oh god yes, I want as much Morrowind fanservice as possible.

I mean, I'll be pretty disappointed if I don't get a quest about a missing ring from one of Fargoth's ancestors.

I think I may want to try this but I don't know. I hate how most MMO's are like weird hub worlds connected by corridors or fast travels. Is ESO truely open world (other than jumping from major region) or is it like Fibal Fantasy Online and just a bunch of smallish areas?

ESO is not a true sandbox, but each zone is pretty massive (minus the starting areas and some DLC). Definitely big enough to explore and find cool things. At the end of the day though, it's still considered more of a themepark MMO.

So so most people agree that this game has improved a lot since launch?

Seems like most people think it's good now?

I really can't state how massive the turnaround this game has had. The difference between launch and now is staggering.

Levito

Banned
I really can't state how massive the turnaround this game has had. The difference between launch and now is staggering.

That's great to hear, all too often if an MMO launches poorly the developers drop it and it slowly fades into obscurity.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Intetesting, so does that essiantlly make all the different kinds of sets still "viable?"

I have the monster set that summons a deadra randomly on hit, and I know it's probably not bis or anything like that but it's just too dope to not have. I can farm for a higher cp later I would imagine correct?

Sure. Not all sets are super useful to viable late game builds, but they're all available at cp160, so you can mix and match with the monster helm sets and make some pretty interesting builds. The hardest part about farming monster sets at cp160 is that you need to farm until you get an ideal drop that you're looking for. For instance, I need a monster helm set on my tank that's heavy armor with sturdy trait. Will take a lot of dungeon running and chest opening to get the head and shoulders for it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
That's not something exclusive to ESO... I can't think of an MMO that doesn't require a bunch of RNG in its end-game loot acquisition.

BizzyBum

That's not something exclusive to ESO... I can't think of an MMO that doesn't require a bunch of RNG in its end-game loot acquisition.

I know, and it sucks. I wish MMO's didn't rely so heavily on it. But it's the easiest way to keep people playing.

ESO:Gold is on sale on steam for 50% off. (29.99)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/526150/

Just a heads up for anyone who, like me, had been curious about ESO and the Morrowind announcement finally pushed them over the edge. I was holding out for a sale, since over the Steam Winter sale ESO:Gold was only $30 - lo-and-behold, I didn't even need to wait that long.

Now to actually wait for the damn thing to finish downloading....

Kinda silly and fanservicy that the census office looks identical in ESO as it does in Morrowind, given the 700 year time gap between them haha.

Hopefully this asshole doesn't show up or else I'm gonna have a legitimate beef.

zmKYIbi.png

AAAAAAAAAHH! Yes...

so I purchased the game back at launch and hardly played it (imperial edition), if I want the steam version I need to buy it on steam, then I can link to my original ESO account in game? Will it carry over the imperial edition content (or was that added into the game finally)?

Skeletron

So I just pre-ordered the PS4 Physical Collector's Edition.

Does this include all the other DLC (Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood) or would I have to buy those separate?

LiQuid!

So I just pre-ordered the PS4 Physical Collector's Edition.

Does this include all the other DLC (Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood) or would I have to buy those separate?

Not included. You need a Gold edition to get them, or to buy them off the crown store.

LiQuid!

It's a little worrisome to me that Vvardenfell is only one zone. Even if it is the biggest zone in the game (aside from Cyrodiil) I have a feeling it's going to feel a whole lot smaller than the same land mass did in TES3. On top of that it will further be trivialized by mounted/maneuvered movement speed too. I know ESO and TES3 are totally different beasts and my expectations are adjusted accordingly, I just think it's going to be weird to see that gigantic, mysterious island truncated into a single MMO zone you can jet across in 3 minutes the way you can basically trivially cover most of the land mass from Oblivion already.

ESO LIVE

Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

Start Time: Friday, February 24 at 3:00pm EST (GMT-5)

Duration: 45-60 minutes

Topics:

Official ESO news and updates
Discussion with Lead PvP Designer Brian Wheeler on upcoming campaign changes
Showcase of recent Morrowind concept art and fan creations
Live walkthrough of key areas in Vvardenfell with Creative Director Rich Lambert
A giveaway sometime during the show

Feeroper

So the early access period started for PC players on May 22 - anyone who digitally upgraded or for customers of the physical CE. Anyone playing this now? The NDA from the beta lifted as of May 22.

Feeroper

I started a Warden last night - went with a Bosmer mainly because it fits very thematically with what the Warden is. I spent forever on the character creator though. Bosmer models are generally unappealing to me. All the elves have a unique look in TES series, but I found I needed to do some tweaking to get it to my liking.

Started the tutorial area of Firefly island (I think that's what it's called). It's okay as far as tutorials go, although it was unnecessary for me since I've been playing since launch on PC. I just wanted to see what the new one looked like. Something I really appreciate about it is that it is short unlike the original tutorial - you get to Seyda Neen pretty quick. I spent a little time looking around and I liked the feel of it, reminded me of Morrowind from 15 years ago, but it certainly is different too. We'll see how the rest of this xpac delivers.

One thing I wanted to mention is the music - specifically in the menu. They are going for a call back to the classic Morrowind theme but it is altered and sounds weird to me. I wish it was more a straightforward rendition of the classic morrowind theme as that is easily my favorite of the series. To be fair it does show up further in but with the opening notes being so reminiscent at the beginning I wish it wouldn't have been altered the way it was.

Top Bottom