• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Comic Book Start Up Guide (The Big Thread of Comic Q&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got into comics, specifically DC stuff, with a focus on Batman.

I ended up using this guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/wiki/recommended#wiki_recommended_reading

and the sidebar on this subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/batman

I read through all the stuff in the DC Comics wiki on Batman, most of the JL stuff, and some of the Superman stuff. Thought those would be pretty good guides for anybody who has lots of time to kill and wants to get to know the backstories intimately.

I also use a Nexus 9, which can be picked up for about $300 right now. That + Perfect Viewer isn't a bad budget option. Plus, I'd like to point out that the Samsung's tablet has an AMOLED screen vs. the IPS LCD of Apple's iPad. Specifically for comics I'd argue that AMOLED is far superior, even if in practice it's come up short often in color accuracy--it tends to oversaturate, which is something that comics would just benefit from. Plus, the really deep blacks due to how AMOLED treats black pixels makes comic text really jump off the page. Lastly, there's also this: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SM-T9000ZWAXAR which is a 12" Samsung tablet (basically the absolute closest you'd get to the size of a real comic page), but it's only a LCD, and not IPS (?).

This is a bit off topic, but I'm majoring in Electrical and Computer Engineering right now, and one of the things I've started to think about and become infaturated with is the idea of a tablet built for comic reading--16:10 10" AMOLED display, preloaded with Perfect Viewer, Comixology, and several other related apps, possibly cut a deal with Marvel/DC to include a free month of MU and/or a few free comics. Have a Snapdragon 400 or something similar, doesn't need any real processing oomph. No camera or anything really unnecessary for what this would do, and focus on having a great screen and a long battery. Maybe have a lower end 7" one--even longer lasting battery, not running Android but some proprietary UI similar to the Kindle readers, have a Mirasol screen, which is basically color E-Ink. Sell the high end 10" model for $400-500, sell the 7" one for $200-300. It's something that's really taken a hold of me and seems like something I'd love to do when I graduate, and put on Kickstarter or somewhere...

but knowing my passions I'd soon dismiss it as too much work, too much effort, and I'd just give up on it. :l

Tizoc

giphy.gif

Excellent thread.

Zombine

Banned
Great job. Needs more Vertigo though.

What am I missing? I'm trying to think without google searching. When I did Vertigo last night I was drawing a blank.

That free month of Marvel Unlimited is awesome

I highly recommend checking out the current Punisher run

I personally love this run, but I left it off the list because it definitely has problems and it is not where I suggest new readers start. I'll end up posting both Ennis Runs.

What am I missing? I'm trying to think without google searching. When I did Vertigo last night I was drawing a blank.

I personally love this run, but I left it off the list because it definitely has problems and it not where I suggest new readers start with Punisher. I'll end up posting both Ennis Runs.
It's a shame that Punisher MAX isn't on Marvel Unlimited.

Mitch

Banned
Really well done and informative thread, Zombine.

I personally started reading comics when DC rolled out their New 52 lineup. Since then I've taken breaks, picked up a few issues here and there, and ultimately stopped collecting comics. I almost picked up manga, but ended up deciding not to after buying 8 or so volumes.

Definitely miss the weekly trip to my LCS. Having a personal box there was great, and the people were extremely friendly. Plus there were other odds and ends I always took the time to look at.

tim1138

Transmetropolitan, Saga of the Swamp Thing, Animal Man, The Books of Magic, Joshua Dysart's Unknown Soldier to name a few.

Zombine

Banned
Transmetropolitan, Saga of the Swamp Thing, Animal Man, The Books of Magic, Joshua Dysart's Unknown Soldier to name a few.

You're the best. Thanks dude. I know nothing about Astro City so it's basically on you if that makes it on the list.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I personally love this run, but I left it off the list because it definitely has problems and it is not where I suggest new readers start. I'll end up posting both Ennis Runs.

Well for recent stuff you should put FBP and American Vampire. But there is a lot of older works that are missing. Scalped, 100 Bullets, Fables, Grant Morrison (Animal Man, Doom Patrol, We3, Joe the Barbarian), Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Pride of Baghdad, Transmetropolitan, Daytrippers.

Zombine

Banned
Well for recent stuff you should put FBP and American Vampire. But there is a lot of older works that are missing. Scalped, 100 Bullets, Fables, Grant Morrison (Animal Man, Doom Patrol, We3, Joe the Barbarian), Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Pride of Baghdad, Transmetropolitan, Daytrippers.

Lol here I am spending hundreds of dollars on American Vampire pages and I forgot to add the book on the list.

Vanish

How long has it taken you so far?

It's crazy how many comics have been made.
That's part of the running joke "should I start at #1?"
Yeah sure. Assuming you've got a few more decades left to live.

I think since 2011 or around there. Being able to sometimes read at work helps.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Also Image is missing Wytches, Manhattan Projects, Stray Bullets, Chew, Revival and Southern Bastards aka best comic of 2014.

And Dark Horse is missing The Goon and Usagi Yojimbo

And you gotta put down Warren Ellis's Moon Knight

bengraven

Wow, if that direct market delivery thing existed back in the day when I stopped reading comics, I probably wouldn't have. You mean I don't have to drive an hour and a half to my nearest "big city" to a comic book shop.

+1 for the Black Science recommendation in the OP. The art is gorgeous

You know, not to derail, but it's funny to see comments in that other thread assuming that comics is all superheroes and then seeing here that a lot of the recommendations is non-superhero stuff

bengraven

I recently got into comics, specifically DC stuff, with a focus on Batman.

I ended up using this guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/wiki/recommended#wiki_recommended_reading

and the sidebar on this subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/batman

I read through all the stuff in the DC Comics wiki on Batman, most of the JL stuff, and some of the Superman stuff. Thought those would be pretty good guides for anybody who has lots of time to kill and wants to get to know the backstories intimately.

I also use a Nexus 9, which can be picked up for about $300 right now. That + Perfect Viewer isn't a bad budget option. Plus, I'd like to point out that the Samsung's tablet has an AMOLED screen vs. the IPS LCD of Apple's iPad. Specifically for comics I'd argue that AMOLED is far superior, even if in practice it's come up short often in color accuracy--it tends to oversaturate, which is something that comics would just benefit from. Plus, the really deep blacks due to how AMOLED treats black pixels makes comic text really jump off the page. Lastly, there's also this: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SM-T9000ZWAXAR which is a 12" Samsung tablet (basically the absolute closest you'd get to the size of a real comic page), but it's only a LCD, and not IPS (?).

This is a bit off topic, but I'm majoring in Electrical and Computer Engineering right now, and one of the things I've started to think about and become infaturated with is the idea of a tablet built for comic reading--16:10 10" AMOLED display, preloaded with Perfect Viewer, Comixology, and several other related apps, possibly cut a deal with Marvel/DC to include a free month of MU and/or a few free comics. Have a Snapdragon 400 or something similar, doesn't need any real processing oomph. No camera or anything really unnecessary for what this would do, and focus on having a great screen and a long battery. Maybe have a lower end 7" one--even longer lasting battery, not running Android but some proprietary UI similar to the Kindle readers, have a Mirasol screen, which is basically color E-Ink. Sell the high end 10" model for $400-500, sell the 7" one for $200-300. It's something that's really taken a hold of me and seems like something I'd love to do when I graduate, and put on Kickstarter or somewhere...

but knowing my passions I'd soon dismiss it as too much work, too much effort, and I'd just give up on it. :l

Hm, thanks for this! I've loved Batman all my life, but even in the 90s had no idea where to start. When every three months there was a crossover and there were at the time something like 6 books JUST FOR BATMAN, not counting his Gotham sidekicks, it was fucking hard. I tried just picking up one book, but half the time it was like "pick up BLANK to find out what happens next" and that frustrated me.

I'd like to get into modern Batman.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
+1 for the Black Science recommendation in the OP. The art is gorgeous

You know, not to derail, but it's funny to see comments in that other thread assuming that comics is all superheroes and then seeing here that a lot of the recommendations is non-superhero stuff

Most people dont know wtf they are talking about.

Hm, thanks for this! I've loved Batman all my life, but even in the 90s had no idea where to start. When every three months there was a crossover and there were at the time something like 6 books JUST FOR BATMAN, not counting his Gotham sidekicks, it was fucking hard. I tried just picking up one book, but half the time it was like "pick up BLANK to find out what happens next" and that frustrated me.

I'd like to get into modern Batman.
Start with the New 52 reboot. Volume 1: The Court of Owls

tim1138

You're the best. Thanks dude. I know nothing about Astro City so it's basically on you if that makes it on the list.

I can't believe I forgot Astro City, that's a solid add too. Please add God Hates Astronauts, it needs the help and visibility.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Also for Image you should mention two older works. Alan Moore's Supreme and Joe Kelly's I Kill Giants

New 52 Batman is pretty light on cross overs after death of a family. I think DC said after convergence they're trying to stay away from events and cross overs for a while. Buying collected editions usually solve the cross over problem anyways.

I know a lot of people read DC just for Batman but I've drifted away from most Bat books since I started. 52 is still my favorite work they've put out, and JSA had a great thing going as well. Really excited for the new slew of books coming out.

I'm surprised the OP didn't mention free comic book day on may 2nd.

Camwi

Thanks for this thread, and in particular www.instocktrades.com

I've always been interested in comics, but never got into them because I thought it'd be too hard to find the older ones and start at the beginning.

When I found out that there was such a thing as an Omnibus, I was in love, but put off by the price. I might finally be able to buy some of those things now!

Mitch

Banned
New 52 Batman is pretty light on cross overs after death of a family. I think DC said after convergence they're trying to stay away from events and cross overs for a while. Buying collected editions usually solve the cross over problem anyways.

I know a lot of people read DC just for Batman but I've drifted away from most Bat books since I started. 52 is still my favorite work they've put out, and JSA had a great thing going as well. Really excited for the new slew of books coming out.

My favorites coming from DC were Animal Man and Batwoman hands down. I have New 52 JLA up until issue 14 or so, and haven't read any of them. They're all bagged & boarded, just waiting to be read.

Same with Detective Comics and a few others I never got around to.

Zombine

Banned

Free Comic Book Day is huge and I will add it tonight after work with the listing of this year's books.

ninge

so thanks to this awesome thread i'm now subscribed to marvel unlimited - but I seem to be having issues reading comics on iOS - it's only showing the first 3 pages of any comic i try to view then tries to take me to the next issue. Anyone got any ideas? It works fine in chrome on desktop... but i'd like to read these on my phone.

EDIT: it's working for the most recent comics, but not for older ones such as uncanny x-men. I was reading through the essential collected version and wanted to carry on where i got to at issue #102 but it only shows the first 3 pages on my phone... is this some sort of restriction that applies to the mobile app for older titles or something?

Messi

I am sure Zombine will add it soon. But everyone should check out Sunstone from Stjepan Sejic and Topcow/image. It's a fantastic romance series about love, friendships and bdsm. It's handled really well and in a mature way. First book is out now and second on next week.

This thread is blowing my mind. Seriously great work Zombine.

joelseph

What is the quickest and 'cleanest' website that I can go to for current and future releases? Preferably someplace that I can create a list to filter out stuff I don't want to track. Does a site like this exist? Also what's the best way to keep up on future releases? Specifically TPB releases.

Recommend me something similar to Invicible. I enjoy the drama more than the gore.

Afrodium

Banned
so thanks to this awesome thread i'm now subscribed to marvel unlimited - but I seem to be having issues reading comics on iOS - it's only showing the first 3 pages of any comic i try to view then tries to take me to the next issue. Anyone got any ideas? It works fine in chrome on desktop... but i'd like to read these on my phone.

EDIT: it's working for the most recent comics, but not for older ones such as uncanny x-men. I was reading through the essential collected version and wanted to carry on where i got to at issue #102 but it only shows the first 3 pages on my phone... is this some sort of restriction that applies to the mobile app for older titles or something?

Marvel Unlimited definitely still has some kinks to work out. I've often found that if a comic is giving me some type of trouble then quitting the app, relaunching it, and browsing for the comic again (as in, don't launch it from your 'recently read' queue) and will often solve the issue.

Zombine

Banned
What is the quickest and 'cleanest' website that I can go to for current and future releases? Preferably someplace that I can create a list to filter out stuff I don't want to track. Does a site like this exist? Also what's the best way to keep up on future releases? Specifically TPB releases.

Recommend me something similar to Invicible. I enjoy the drama more than the gore.

There are new release sites which I will add tonight, but my personal preference is the Midtown Comics app. It updates the same day as new comic Wednesday between 1-2pm EST, and what's cool is they also include collected editions, figures, statues, and other merch for the following week.

Ms Marvel

SoilBreak

Banned
That free month of Marvel Unlimited is awesome

I highly recommend checking out the current Punisher run

I would also like to recommend Greg Rucka's run on the Punisher

MattyG

Banned
I would also like to recommend Greg Rucka's run on the Punisher
This one? Is there any place where volume 1 is cheaper? I don't think instocktrades even has it.

Oh I have no idea. I don't really follow all the different series. But as a great Batman series that doesnt have any continuity baggage, Snyder's run is really good. Art is wonderful too
Is Night of the Owls (this is a local store's site) part of Court of Owls? Or are they separate stories/runs?

Edit: It looks like this is a sequel story?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Good thread, thanks for all the info.

If I want to get into Kieron Gillen, where is a great place to start?

If you arent super into pop music I'd avoid starting with Phonogram. Try Young Avengers or Wicked and Divine.
All his stuff is quite similar in themes and attitude so if you like one youll probably like that others.

I have no idea how his Thor or Iron Man stuff is.

Rooster12

Is that the only series worth keeping up on in the Gotham canon?

Snyder's Batman is one of the best comics out. Batgirl, Batwoman and Batman Incoporated are pretty good too.

The rest are very inconsistent. Legend of the Dark Knight is trash for the most part, Detective Comics doesn't get good until way later...Batman and Robin is average to me.

like what is good in the Batman Family, or if it is the series where all the major changes happen in canon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_New_52_imprint_publications#.22Batman.22
based on that list (most of these titles are being relaunched next month).

I like B&R and at times I feel it is better than Snyder's run.
Detective Comics is ok, I haven't been keeping up with it.
Batman Inc was a continuation of morrison's story, it is pretty crazy.
Heard Batwoman and Gotham Academy was/is good.
Didn't care for Dark Knight, didn't like Red Hood, never read the rest.

My feeling is that B&R always felt more like a DC Universe story (it kind of becomes a Brave and the Bold for awhile) while Snyder's Batman has little links outside of the Bat Fam.

My favorites coming from DC were Animal Man and Batwoman hands down. I have New 52 JLA up until issue 14 or so, and haven't read any of them. They're all bagged & boarded, just waiting to be read.

Same with Detective Comics and a few others I never got around to.

Animal Man was such a nice surprise. Didn't know what to expect before going in. Swamp Thing is also good, I didn't care much for the cross over. JL starts out a bit rough, but I liked Throne of Atlantis and I think it hit its stride after Trinity War. #29 onward has been fantastic.

there's a lot of love for Batman & Robin in the OT so that may be worth a look if you want more.

I enjoyed what I did read of Batwoman but I hear it goes to shit after the original creative team left. Still, Batwoman: Elegy is a good read with amazing art. Worth checking out just for J.H. Williams III's art and layouts.

Oh yeah, Gotham Academy! It's not really a Batman book, but it's one of the best DC ongoings right now IMO. It's great stuff. Grayson is also really good but if you want to count that.

Very nice thread, Zombine. Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, but what the heck.

TL;DR - Image is amazing. Brian K. Vaughn is my comic muse. Street level Marvel is great. DC writes too many Batman books.

Saga by Brian K. Vaughn
Zero by Ales Kot
Rat Queens by Kurtis J Wiebe
Black Science by Rick Remender
Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction
Fatale by Ed Brubaker
Velvet by Ed Brubaker
The Fade Out by Ed Brubaker
Chew by John Layman
The Manhattan Projects by Jonathan Hickman
God Hates Astronauts by Ryan Browne
Low by Rick Remender
Lazarus by Greg Rucka

Marvel
Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender
Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis
The Punisher by Nathan Edmondson
Daredevil by Frank Miller
Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis
Daredevil by Ed Brubaker
Daredevil by Mark Waid
The Immortal Iron Fist by Matt Fraction & Ed Brubaker
Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson
Captain America by Ed Brubaker
Hawkguy by Matt Fraction

Vertigo
Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn
Ex Machina by Brian K. Vaughn
American Vampire by Scott Snyder
Watchmen by Alan Moore
V For Vendetta by Alan Moore
100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello
Fables by Bill Willingham
Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

Dark Horse
Locke & Key by Joe Hill

DC
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
Batman: Year One by Frank Miller
Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar
One of the 15+ Batman books that release every month...I guess

Independents
Blankets by Craig Thompson
Maus by Art Spiegelman
Ghost World by Daniel Clowes
Black Hole by Charles Burns

I haven't read Hellboy, Sandman, or Preacher yet. But all those, based on universal praise.

Rooster12

The one series that is definitely worth reading is Cassandra Cain Batgirl's series:

58339-7205-91334-1-batgirl.jpg

The entire series was awesome, better than the Batman books at the time.

The Birds of Prey series was really good as well, this was the best Batman related book for 10 years:

Birds_of_Prey_Vol_1_40.jpg

I don't know if it has been asked, but what are the best places to order comics for international buyers?

I saw that amazon now has free intl. shipping to Mexico(where I live) when you order over $125, that sounds amazing to me but I haven't tried it. Also the book depository has free shipping even for small orders. When I lived in the DF thebookdepository was awesome, I had orders arriving seven days after paying. Any other nice place to buy comics? InStockTrades was almost the same than using the book depository(or do they do discount in bigger orders?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom