• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE COALITION MOVING TO NEXT-GEN DEVELOPMENT, UNREAL ENGINE 5

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Too late. No idea wtf these studios are doing. Their shipped Gears 5 in 2019. THAT is when they shouldve moved to next gen development. WTF have they been doing for the last 1.5 years?

The mismanagement of these first party studios is baffling tbh. Naughty Dog is working on a PS4 TLOU1 remake because they apparently didnt have anything to do. Sony Bend had nothing to do after shipping Days Gone in 2019 so ended up helping ND with TLOU2. Why? These first party studios shouldve had devkits back in 2019. Hell Cerny specifically said that they did the wired article in April 2019 because devkits were going out soon.

I cannot believe that MS's best first party studio is only now transitioning to first party development. Games take 3-4 years to make nowadays. Are we seriously not going to get a new title from Coalition Games until 2024-2025?
Who woulda thought getting dev kits out early was more important than spec wars....

"but Sony is so quiet!, what are they hiding???"

Umbasaborne

Banned
*Screeches from mother's basement while feverishly itching neckbeard*

"But....But unreal engine 5 is exclusive!"

cHu6IeL.jpg
oAWG5Rf.gif
I was in the middle of beating off to my ps5 along with a pic of jim ryan when i saw this news, i blue balled myself because i felt so betrayed. I was so outraged when i heard that epic is allowing THEM to use our engine as well.

Last edited:

elliot5

Too late. No idea wtf these studios are doing. Their shipped Gears 5 in 2019. THAT is when they shouldve moved to next gen development. WTF have they been doing for the last 1.5 years?

The mismanagement of these first party studios is baffling tbh. Naughty Dog is working on a PS4 TLOU1 remake because they apparently didnt have anything to do. Sony Bend had nothing to do after shipping Days Gone in 2019 so ended up helping ND with TLOU2. Why? These first party studios shouldve had devkits back in 2019. Hell Cerny specifically said that they did the wired article in April 2019 because devkits were going out soon.

I cannot believe that MS's best first party studio is only now transitioning to first party development. Games take 3-4 years to make nowadays. Are we seriously not going to get a new title from Coalition Games until 2024-2025?
The Coalition uses an engine developed by a third party, in this case Epic Games. Naughty Dog uses an in-house one that they can iterate upon and improve as they work on their titles.

The Coalition has likely developed a lot of custom solutions and methods within Unreal Engine 4 to suit their needs. Now that a new major version, UE5, is coming out, they need to make sure all of their code will work within UE5, or analyze what they can cut if UE5 does something better. It takes a lot of time to transition over and make sure there's not a mountain of tech debt. That doesn't mean they can't prototype gameplay mechanics or the like, but the fact remains that the engine needs work before they can get into the full swing of things. I don't think it has anything to do with mismanagement.

Because of their close relationship with Epic, they likely have had access to UE5 early and have been working on testing and transitioning for a little bit, but it's still a very large engineering effort.

They aren't "just now" transitioning to first party development or next gen. They updated Gears 5 and Tactics for X|S and launched Hivebusters. Things take time, but the entitled angry gamer can't imagine that.

Last edited:
I would think the ppl that actually said this were Twitter residents.

Epic stated the day it was shown it was scalable all the way to smartphones.

This has to be an imaginary narrative.
Just going by what many posters were saying earlier on, that's all. You can't reckon with stupid.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I might be wrong, but aren't they allegedly giving a hand to 343i for Halo Infinite?
Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing about that as well. Still, like Sony Bend helping out with TLOU2, its a gigantic waste of time and resource of an exceptional first party studio.

They aren't "just now" transitioning to first party development or next gen.
I am sorry but this is literally what this blog post says they are doing.

Stuart360

so another excuse for a long game cycle with no games... this is probably microsofts best studio and they are now pretty much out for the next 2-3 years under the guise of "shifting resourses" and fans will eat this up... so i take it we wont be getting another gears game for a while
Well what do you want them to do?, they only finished the Gears 5 dlc like 3 months ago or something.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Who woulda thought getting dev kits out early was more important than spec wars....

"but Sony is so quiet!, what are they hiding???"
But Sony getting devkits out early didn't really help them as we saw with how poorly Sony Bend was managed. They wasted two years supporting TLOU2 and getting their pitches rejected by the top brass at Sony.

Even ND is working on a PS4 remake. We will see what happens at E3 but if ND, Sony Bend and Coalition all show up with cross gen games or are MIA altogether then we can safely say that these studios are mismanaged. Bend and Coalition had 2 and 1.5 years to come up with something for E3. ND only had 1 but if they spent that 1 year AFTER PS5's launch working on a last gen game then it would be extremely disappointing.

sircaw

Banned
What if it runs even better on a pci 3.0 SSD though? This won't be a hypothetical question anymore, as we'll be able to test the ins and outs soon. And myself and others will be reporting our findings.
that particular demo was built for sony, customer designed to make the best-case scenario of their ssd, look at the speeds of Microsoft ssd compared to Sony's, your not going to be able to run that EXACT DEMO the same, assets bla bla bla, you know it. People have been over this.

You guys need to stop with the fabrication.

End of.

Last edited:

elliot5

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing about that as well. Still, like Sony Bend helping out with TLOU2, its a gigantic waste of time and resource of an exceptional first party studio.

I am sorry but this is literally what this blog post says they are doing.
"we’re excited to start shifting our resources to next-gen development using Unreal Engine 5"

They're starting to use resources to next-gen dev using UE5. That doesn't mean they are literally just now working on next-gen, period. Native updates for Gears 5 and Tactics on next-gen consoles is working on next-gen.

As far as I know neither Sony nor Epic ever said UE5 would only work on PS5. What they did talk about though was that the new features would be working best on PS5 due to the SSD and you would need to scale down to other devices. So lets say that PS5 could load in 16GB of data in some circumstances where the XSX could load 6GB/s (being very generous here), the game would work with both systems but detail would be much less in the XSX version because of much less assets/textures would stream in at the same time. Not forgetting that PC SSDs are even further of because of slow I/O, something something like pumping milkshakes through a tiny straw.

Last edited:
that particular demo was built for sony, customer designed to make the best-case scenario of their ssd, look at the speeds of Microsoft ssd compared to Sony's, your not going to be able to run that EXACT DEMO the same, assets bla bla bla, you know it. People have been over this.

You guys need to stop with the fabrication.

End of.
If it were built for Sony, it would not be the official UE5 demo for that matter, nor would it be coming to PC. That kinda doesn't make sense with the fabrication you assert. It will be available for PC this year, to test the ins and outs. That's the reality of it. Theres no reason why a better GPU, dedicated system ram, and a decent SSD can't provide much better performance. To think otherwise, is the equivalent of believing the SSD=GPU. Hopefully you aren't one of them.

Again the truth will come out yet again. This isn't the first, second, or even third time Sweeney has shilled for consoles, to be completely wrong. But he doesn't care, he does it for the money.

Last edited:
Is it really going to be 2 or 3 years till the next gears? Other than halo which was supposed to release in 2020 till it was delayed, what other games do they have coming soon? 2022? Man that's a long time for new games on Xbox, they really didn't plan anything it feels or poor mismanagement for years.

First Hellblade was confirmed to be an UE5 game and now Gears 6 and whatever new projects The Coalition has cooking. With Unreal Engine 5 and id Tech 7, Microsoft seems poised to deliver the true next-gen visual breakthroughs of the generation.

sircaw

Banned
If it were built for Sony, it would not be the official UE5 demo for that matter, nor would it be coming to PC. That kinda doesn't make sense with the fabrication. It will be available for PC this year, to test the ins and outs. That's the reality of it. That's no reason why a better GPU, dedicated system ram, and a decent SSD can't provide much better performance. To think otherwise, is the equivalent of believing the SSD=GPU. Hopefully you aren't one of them.

Again the truth will come out yet again. This isn't the first, second, or even third time Sweeney has shilled for consoles, to be completely wrong. But he doesn't care, he does it for the money.
It's a scaleable engine, they never said it would not be available to other formats to use.

The Xbox version will be able to use it, but it would have to scale back/down and will probably look a lot worse to get the same effect of the demo that was custom-made for Sony.

Andodalf

Banned
Is it really going to be 2 or 3 years till the next gears? Other than halo which was supposed to release in 2020 till it was delayed, what other games do they have coming soon? 2022? Man that's a long time for new games on Xbox, they really didn't plan anything it feels or poor mismanagement for years.

It's crazy, you'd think that there was some major worldwide event that caused schedules to be changed!

Good thing Sony had that crazy launch with Horizon and GOW on day 1 just like neogaf said!

reksveks

Forza H5, Flight Simulator, AoE4, I think Project Mara is a 2022 small game, Starfield. I also think motorsport is out in q4 22.

Suspect one of the XGS published games could drop into 2022 but that's a stretch. I also think Wolfenstein 3 is being finished up.

Last edited:
It's a scaleable engine, they never said it would not be available to other formats to use.

The Xbox version will be able to use it, but it would have to scale back/down and will probably look a lot worse to get the same effect of the demo that was custom-made for Sony.
That demo was not custom made, they specifically said it can run on any supported hardware, including phones. The only reason it had PlayStation branding was because of Sony's financial contributions to Tim Sweeney's pocketbook. Nothing more.

sircaw

Banned
That demo was not custom made, they specifically said it can run on any supported hardware, including phones. The only reason it had PlayStation branding was because of Sony's financial contributions to Tim Sweeney's pocketbook. Nothing more.
That demo was specifically built for the ps5 yes?

Did you see that demo on an other official format?

But that's your interpretation. Based on what? I have no clue, as there are no exact data streaming speeds publicized. Your guess is as good as a blind guys vision. But to honestly think PC will have to scale this demo is fucking hilarious. Serious question, was unreal engine 5 created, designed, and tested on ps5, and is going to be ported to PC a year later?!

That's an interesting reality you live in bud. But more power to you for believing!

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
But that's your interpretation. Based on what? I have no clue, as there are no exact dates streaming speeds publicized. Your guess is as good as a blind guys vision. But to honestly think PC will have to scale this demo is fucking hilarious. Serious question, was unreal engine 5 created, designed, and tested on ps5, and is going to be ported to PC a year later?!

That's an interesting reality you live in bud. But more power to you for believing!

I am not talking about Pc sunshine, i am talking about consoles, hence the word xbox in my posts.

Do you think the xbox is going to run that demo the same as the ps5, I don't think so.

Epic's vice president of engineering, Nick Penwarden, touched on this point in a post-demo stream. "There are tens of billions of triangles in that scene, and we simply couldn't have them all in memory at once," he says, referring to a bunch of statues in the demo. "So what we ended up needing to do is streaming in triangles as the camera is moving throughout the environment. The IO capabilities of PlayStation 5 are one of the key hardware features that enable us to achieve that level of realism."

Last edited:
It's crazy, you'd think that there was some major worldwide event that caused schedules to be changed!

Good thing Sony had that crazy launch with Horizon and GOW on day 1 just like neogaf said!
That's definitely true but you saw from 2020 Sony released ghost of tsushima, tlou2, dreams, ps5 launch with demon souls, and cross gen games like miles with raytracing. Returnal is out, ratchet is coming in June. Plus we maybe will expect horizon 2. Other than the medium that came out for Xbox, what have you been playing other than last gen games?
I can only think of the recent resident evil 8.
So far other than halo I don't see anything else soon.

Andodalf

Banned
Imaging thinking an SSD being only 8x faster than a game could ever need instead of 10x will negate the massive ram advantage PCs have over consoles.

That's definitely true but you saw from 2020 Sony released ghost of tsushima, tlou2, dreams, ps5 launch with demon souls, and cross gen games like miles with raytracing. Returnal is out, ratchet is coming in June. Plus we maybe will expect horizon 2. Other than the medium that came out for Xbox, what have you been playing other than last gen games?
I can only think of the recent resident evil 8.
So far other than halo I don't see anything else soon.

For Sony you're counting a bunch of games that were delayed into 2020 that don't even have dedicated next gen versions. Then you have a remake, an expandalone, AA 3rd party game that was already pushed off of launch, and a couple games that haven't come out yet. None of that is something we can call impressive yet. Returnal is the lone new exclusive next gen game and it's far from AAA. If you're counting cross gen stuff, XSX is the place to be without question due to it's improvements in BC and patches that added brand new features like for Gears, which also had a major expansion. Maybe if they decided to make you pay 50$ for the expansion you'd think the sides were closer?

Until we see the Big dogs like Horizon and Halo, next gen isn't really about the next gen games

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Pretty sure when MS bought Gears from Epic, part of the deal was extended UE support so not surprised.

People eat up marketing like the UE5 demo. The previous engines where also showcased by Sony lol

I am not talking about Pc sunshine, i am talking about consoles, hence the word xbox in my posts.
And I have only been talking about PC. Hence dedicated ram, pci 3.0, and various other hints. You originally quoted me because I made the "UE5 exclusivity" post. Not sure where you got lost at.

sircaw

Banned
And I have only been talking about PC. Hence dedicated ram, pci 3.0, and various other hints. You originally quoted me because I made the "UE5 exclusivity" post. Not sure where you got lost at.
I have zero interest in pc stuff, that's why you never if ever see me in those threads. i am strictly a console person
Sorry if there is a miscommunication between us, maybe i could have articulated myself better.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Is this all caps news worthy?
Nope. But at the same time, it's cool that Coalition are moving to that engine. I consider them to be the team that puts on technical showpieces for Microsoft. Well, I guess them and id now. We're going to see some very pretty Unreal and id Tech engine games in the future.

You’re thinking of the demo not the engine and it was Epic who stated it, not random internet posters.
No one said the demo won't run on PC, or that it can't run it better. Please show some evidence please.

I have zero interest in pc stuff, that's why you never if ever see me in them, i am strictly a console person
Sorry if there is a miscommunication between us, maybe i could have articulated myself better.
It's all good. Just don't want anyone having the misconception that this demo could only run on ps5, or can't exceed it's performance and quality. Hence the demo releasing soon for us to test out.

bitbydeath

No one said the demo won't run on PC, or that it can't run it better. Please show some evidence please.

It's all good. Just don't want anyone having the misconception that this demo could only run on ps5, or can't exceed it's performance and quality. Hence the demo releasing soon for us to test out.
The evidence was already posted above by sircaw sircaw , if PC can’t run it now it will be able to eventually, that spec is always moving.

Three

so another excuse for a long game cycle with no games... this is probably microsofts best studio and they are now pretty much out for the next 2-3 years under the guise of "shifting resourses" and fans will eat this up... so i take it we wont be getting another gears game for a while
Yep they even say it:

"Gears 5 has content on the way, and we’ll continue to release new operations through Operations 7 and 8. Each Operation will have two drops including new characters, new maps, and special events. Through the end of the year, we will have store updates with exciting new content as well as featured playlists.

Shifting to a new engine is a big undertaking, so we want to be clear that we will not be announcing any new projects or titles for some time."

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If it were built for Sony, it would not be the official UE5 demo for that matter, nor would it be coming to PC. That kinda doesn't make sense with the fabrication you assert. It will be available for PC this year, to test the ins and outs. That's the reality of it. Theres no reason why a better GPU, dedicated system ram, and a decent SSD can't provide much better performance. To think otherwise, is the equivalent of believing the SSD=GPU. Hopefully you aren't one of them.

Dont all games and demos for a specific platform be built for that specific platform?

Not really sure what you are saying here.

The demo itself was overkill with all those giant statues in that room. Like that poster said....that demo.... was built specifically for the PS5, showing off what the PS5 can do.

elliot5

I feel like the same demographic of person mad that TC aren't gonna pump out a new title next year are the same people saying Gears is stale and needs a significant reboot ala God of War. You can't have both folks.

Top Bottom