• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol |OT| Galaxy of Terror

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Kinda sad to see the state of the game on PC. Especially given how smooth my experience is on PS5. Why not admit the bad state and delay the PC release for some months. No shame in that.

Otherwise i'm having a good time. The atmosphere is through the roof here and the visuals are insane sometimes. My only real complaint is the checkpoint system. It really messes with the progression a lot. And i wished for a more fleshed out DualSense support.

52538135919_7e51d2e9c9_o.png

52538391068_12d4f29a44_o.png

52538135879_fc52bcc6a3_o.png

52538135839_baeedab4e6_o.png

tommib

Kinda sad to see the state of the game on PC. Especially given how smooth my experience is on PS5. Why not admit the bad state and delay the PC release for some months. No shame in that.

Otherwise i'm having a good time. The atmosphere is through the roof here and the visuals are insane sometimes. My only real complaint is the checkpoint system. It really messes with the progression a lot. And i wished for a more fleshed out DualSense support.

52538135919_7e51d2e9c9_o.png

52538391068_12d4f29a44_o.png

52538135879_fc52bcc6a3_o.png

52538135839_baeedab4e6_o.png
Amazing screens, dude. Can’t wait for tonight.

Con-Z-epT

Good to know, because for now the locations are not nearly big enough to really avoid enemies and dealing with one at the time.
I mean it's mostly pretty claustrophobic but when the game throws multiple enemies at you than there is always something in the room that can help you a lot. It's about dealing with them fast before you get surrounded and to position yourself correctly. I also found it easy to lure them away from each other or to line them up while walking away.

After watching this i'm going to play in quality mode with all the ray traced godness, more shadows and better volumetric smoke and with the SRGB option with deep black for OLED's

Last edited:

GymWolf

I mean it's mostly pretty claustrophobic but when the game throws multiple enemies at you than there is always something in the room that can help you a lot. It's about dealing with them fast before you get surrounded and to position yourself correctly. I also found it easy to lure them away from each other or to line them up while walking away.
My "problem" is that when you are close to melee range there is that magnetism\camera closing and the movements get kinda limited, and sometimes you just want to take a steop back to take a breath but the character just block instead of moving.

Like i said, i played the game without the fixing patch so framerate was choppy and it didn't helped at all with my first impression, and the first 3-4 encounters with only the baton are rough.

Also playing on hard so enemies fuck you up in 3 hits or less.

I have no work tomorrow so tonight i'm gonna nerd hard with it, it's probably just a matter of re-adjusting from ragnarock and evil west that are way more fast paced.

Last edited:

GymWolf

After watching this i'm going to play in quality mode with all the ray traced godness, more shadows and better volumetric smoke and with the SRGB option with deep black for OLED's

Wait, do they give optimal hdr setting? I had to disable mine because it was washed up AF.

Con-Z-epT

My "problem" is that when you are close to melee range there is that magnetism\camera closing and the movements get kinda limited, and sometimes you just want to take a steop back to take a breath but the character just block instead of moving.

Like i said, i played the game without the fixing patch so framerate was choppy and it didn't helped at all with my first impression, and the first 3-4 encounters with only the baton are rough.

Also playing on hard so enemies fuck you up in 3 hits or less.

I have no work tomorrow so tonight i'm gonna nerd hard with it, it's probably just a matter of re-adjusting from ragnarock and evil west that are way more fast paced.
I found it really hard at first and now it gets easier and easier the further i progress. But yeah, you are right, once enemies are close enough its "combat time". The more time i took to think about it the more likey i was to die.

Just play for an hour or two and then the possibilities for combat grow a bit, leaving you with more options.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Judging from DF video, game looks like a visual banger.

I think I'll end up pulling the trigger on it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Use those bullets, guys. I mean as cool as close combat is, you'll be finding a lot of ammo along the way so don't be afraid to use it and run out, just... don't use the gun too much early on. At least 2 times I had to leave a lot of ammo cuz I've used close combat for the most part with gun shot after melee combo.

Last edited:

sainraja

First impressions for me are good so far and I love the use of the Dualsense, specially voice communication via the controller speaker!

Yah, ammo isn't a problem thus far, and using the gun to polish off melee combos is key for taking out weaker enemies easily.

Really the biggest letdown for me is the vibe it carries. Atmosphere is visually and aurally fantastic, but I was hoping for a slower paced The Thing meets Dead Space kinda deal. This is much more Dead Space: The Suffering Edition.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This game runs like absolute trash on my 3080. Stutters galore. At this point I've capped to 60 FPS, turned off all ray tracing stuff, enabled the balanced quality up scaling AMD thing, tried Temporal instead, lowered my display from 4K to 1440p, and still stutters.

Is the PS5 version fairing better? Can I get a locked 60FPS in performance mode on PS5 at 1440p? May just refund the steam version.

Ulysses 31

Does the game have a decent check point system? I don't mind dying a lot if I don't get thrown too far back to repeat shit I have already done.
It was inconsistent according to SkillUp, sometimes it's before you mod a weapon and you have to redo the modding(unskippable animations) each time if you die.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Bummer about the PC version...I could get it on PS5 but with how polarizing people are finding the gameplay itself I kinda think I may wait for it to get discounted/patched up to eliminate the shader comp issues.

J3nga

This game runs like absolute trash on my 3080. Stutters galore. At this point I've capped to 60 FPS, turned off all ray tracing stuff, enabled the balanced quality up scaling AMD thing, tried Temporal instead, lowered my display from 4K to 1440p, and still stutters.

Is the PS5 version fairing better? Can I get a locked 60FPS in performance mode on PS5 at 1440p? May just refund the steam version.
The stuttering is due to the shaders compilation, do whatever you want and it won't make a difference until they fix shaders compilation before you start the game. Devs just didn't give a fuck releasing this at current state.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The stuttering is due to the shaders compilation, do whatever you want and it won't make a difference until they fix shaders compilation before you start the game. Devs just didn't give a fuck releasing this at current state.

Apparently they said on Twitter in a few hours they'll drop a patch to fix it? Massive doubt, but I'll play Midnight Suns until then to see before refunding.

I'm enjoying it but it does feel very dated like I'm back in 2008 with a supercharged X360 that is somehow pulling 1440p 60fps out of its arse.

Shakka43

It was inconsistent according to SkillUp, sometimes it's before you mod a weapon and you have to redo the modding(unskippable animations) each time if you die.
Well that sucks. I'll probably wait until Christmas to buy it, hopefully PC shader issues are fixed by them, or PS5 version gets a bit of a discount.

J3nga

Apparently they said on Twitter in a few hours they'll drop a patch to fix it? Massive doubt, but I'll play Midnight Suns until then to see before refunding.
I have refunded already, will see if it fixes anything then maybe i'll buy it again. Fix is simple actually, compile shaders before starting any gameplay. It'll take 5-10 minutes which you only have to do once (for example Horizon ZD does it) but that is nothing compared to not having giant stutters during gameplay and cutscenes.

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

I've upgraded the baton to the 2nd tier and it takes the same amount of hits as the non upgraded. I don't get it lol I could have saved my shit and upgraded the EPG or w/e its called.

I'm surprised the reviews and some people don't like it, it's exactly what I wanted. I get the technical issues and I don't defend it there but damn is it fun.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I actually almost ordered it for Series X, but decided to go with PS5 for the dualsense features.

I made the right choice it seems. Hopefully they can patch the game quickly.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I actually almost ordered it for Series X, but decided to go with PS5 for the dualsense features.

I made the right choice it seems. Hopefully they can patch the game quickly.
Same here! Went PS5 for dualsense and my Steelseries headset is more comfy on my head than my Turtle Beach on Xbox.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's not because of that.

The common denominator here with problems are UE4 + DirectX12.

Can we all agree finally that DirectX12 sucks major balls?

So what is it?

When this game gets patched in the coming months will it just be that the series consoles are harder for them to develop for ....or maybe that they prioritised ps5 and the game should have been delayed?

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Ok, this game is HARD. On normal difficulty, and the enemy killed me in like 5 hits. Considering how melee heavy it is so far, and how dodging is harder than it looks(so far)I need to git gud fast.

Con-Z-epT

Ok, this game is HARD. On normal difficulty, and the enemy killed me in like 5 hits. Considering how melee heavy it is so far, and how dodging is harder than it looks(so far)I need to git gud fast.
The further i get the easier it is. Once you got the dodge down it's a breeze. You also get overwhelmed with ammunition later on.

For the record, i struggled hard in the first two hours.

Rob_27

Seems OK to me. I opted for performance on PS5 but still feels a little heavy. Hope that's sorted out. Otherwise I'm happy.

j0hnnix

Reading around the OT and Review threads, haven't purchased it yet, but so far looks like if I do it'll be the PS5 copy. I'll wait and see what the patch notes bring later today as well, they might fix Series X. Been nit picking some twitch runs and some like it , some are iffy about it.

Nautilus

Banned
The further i get the easier it is. Once you got the dodge down it's a breeze. You also get overwhelmed with ammunition later on.

For the record, i struggled hard in the first two hours.
I am struggling right now lol.But I think Im getting better at the dodge. Honestly, Its not elegant as it should have been, but it gets the job done.

Also, I have been getting sone strange bugs. Once the floor vanished for a second and I almost clipped through it, and in another, while melee fighting an enemy, I was teleported a few steps back, which completely disoriented me. Happened to anyone else?

Im on a PS4.

xrnzaaas

Dodging is not hard, just hold the stick left or right long before the monster attacks (which means you'll be moving to the side at the same time). And just to be safe you can do that again (different direction) because some monsters attack twice in melee combat. You NEED to learn to dodge properly or you're not gonna pass the boss battles.

Last edited:

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I don't know, I played the first chapter (outbreak) and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. Sure, it's linear, but I prefer this to any open world crap. Also, I really don't mind the melee combat. It feels very solid. Dualsense use is also good. Playing on performance mode.

One thing I am wondering: is there a quick turn?

Top Bottom