• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol |OT| Galaxy of Terror

xrnzaaas

Super linear. While I don’t love backtracking this is too far the other way imo.
It's not exactly super linear, because there are alternative paths leading to collectibles and chests and some of them are big enough to have their own checkpoints. I think there are more of them than in the Dead Space games.

The game could use chapter select for the collectibles, because even if you miss one you're screwed with the collectibles trophy.

tommib

Finally able to get my captures out of the PS5:
NHg4DNM.jpg
iBQPli7.jpg
vfMxHih.jpg
5x6SizO.jpg
AE3bpA0.jpg
HNrpXib.jpg
KCXfeNW.jpg
lLecgk0.jpg
y3GzQgN.jpg
jyC2lAo.jpg

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Not really feeling it. Combat is okay, not a fan of the dodge mechanic. I hate that there are multiple paths to reach a goal but you cant backtrack once you get past a locked door or whatever.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
it still runs terrible after the patch. Game isn't good enough to put up with technical problems... refunded it.

I am again blown away by how incompetent game developers are these days. As a programmer myself for nearly 20 years now I just can't get my head around it. Don't release completely broken builds and take money for it. It's not hard.

Fabieter

So after playing for an hour or two yesterday I kinda regret getting it at all. I really miss a map, I have a feeling that I constantly missing out on stuff and I dont get the hang on the dodge. Can anyone help me with that. I like the other parts of the game but damn I might have to drop it.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
So after playing for an hour or two yesterday I kinda regret getting it at all. I really miss a map, I have a feeling that I constantly missing out on stuff and I dont get the hang on the dodge. Can anyone help me with that. I like the other parts of the game but damn I might have to drop it.
You really don't need a map, given how linear the game is.

Hold the left stick! Not just flick it. Up until you dodged. If you struggle just walk sideways before an attack. It's very easy, just unintuitive.

Fabieter

Hold the left stick! Not just flick it. Up until you dodged. If you struggle just walk sideways before an attack. It's very easy, just unintuitive.

Thanks for the reply. Will try. How's the block. Is that just another option or are there attacks that you have to block to avoid damage.

tommib

Fuck, that’s one of the things that I actually do like a lot. No fucking maps! And you need to make choices of where to go with the threat of leaving something behind. I like all that shit.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Thanks for the reply. Will try. How's the block. Is that just another option or are there attacks that you have to block to avoid damage.
There are attacks you can do after a block. But I think evading is better since you take damage while blocking. The damage can be reduced however with an upgrade.

Fabieter

Fuck, that’s one of the thing that I actually do like a lot. No fucking maps! And you need to make choices of where to go with the threat of leaving something behind. I like all that shit.

It depends if I have a easy way to get back to where I could find all these secrets like in elden ring. But if a game is really hard and it depends somehow on these upgrades to be enjoyable than there is a high chance I won't finish the game which would be sad because there is alot to love in this game.

It took me about 30 minutes to get used to the dodging mechanic. It works pretty well....until there are 3 or 4 enemies at a time, combat in general becomes a chaotic mess with that many. I feel that the game would benefit from a lock on mechanic that let's you focus on one target at a time.

Fabieter

It took me about 30 minutes to get used to the dodging mechanic. It works pretty well....until there are 3 or 4 enemies at a time, combat in general becomes a chaotic mess with that many. I feel that the game would benefit from a lock on mechanic that let's you focus on one target at a time.

Well maybe its a me problem and not a game problem.

Con-Z-epT

What does the patch do that I'm downloading

• Addressed random stuttering issues.
  • [PC] Improve gameplay stuttering issues due to shader compilation. After updating, you may see temporary stuttering in the game menu the first time you launch the app.
  • Addressed a crash related to the game loading.
  • Variuos performance improvements.
  • Added gameplay optimizations.
  • Added general stability fixes.
  • Other minor under the hood fixes.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
it still runs terrible after the patch. Game isn't good enough to put up with technical problems... refunded it.

I am again blown away by how incompetent game developers are these days. As a programmer myself for nearly 20 years now I just can't get my head around it. Don't release completely broken builds and take money for it. It's not hard.
I think it runs well on PS5

Hobbygaming

I'm surprised people have issues with dodge, did y'all skip reading the tutorial screen? I'm not being a D head I'm just curious because I almost skipped it lol

Fabieter

I'm surprised people have issues with dodge, did y'all skip reading the tutorial screen? I'm not being a D head I'm just curious because I almost skipped it lol

Well I read the tutorial, actually prefer mele combat over shooting in games but just don't get the hang on the weird controls.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hold the left/right analog directional before the enemy starts attacking you (eg: before the enemy starts their arm striking/swinging motion). Left or right directional doesnt matter for the 1st dodge. Just imagine you are neo in matrix dodging bullets.

do not hold the directional during the mid attacking animation process, you are going to get hit.

The timing in this game is different from other action games.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Well I read the tutorial, actually prefer mele combat over shooting in games but just don't get the hang on the weird controls.
Oh. It's very simple in Callisto. When you see the enemy and they see you start holding left or right to dodge and if I remember correctly you should switch it up

Hugare

I'm absolutely loving the game

And now after some hours I can safely say: you can fight 3 or more enemies at the same time no problem.

The thing is: you have to be smart and use your options. You cant brute force it by spamming melee attacks. Probabky the reason why reviewers had a bad time. I found Dead Space to be much more limited and easier in comparison.

One example: I was riding a gondola, and at the end of the track, there were 3 enemies waiting for me. I thought "well, I'm fucked"

What I did: used kinesis to throw 2 of them out of a clif, and fought the last one alone. If there were 4, I could have killed one of them from distance with my weapon.

I had a bunch of enemy encounters with 2 enemies where I didnt get damage even.

The only bad design choice so far are the head thingy that jumps at you from afar.
You cant see them, so you will take damage from it.

Also, I dont think the game is too linear. It is linear, but I've found plenty of cool optional areas with great rewards such as new weapons schematics.

One example: I was looking for a fuse to power some door in order to progress, but I then I thought: "I've seen a door just like this one also needing power a while ago"

So I went back there, and it worked. I've gained access to an optional area with an audio log and a weapon schematic.

Any other game would have the MC saying to himself "I think I saw one other like this before", pointing it on your map, with Atreus shouting "WHAT ABOUT USING IT ON THAT DOOR, FATHER?""

So I applaud these guys so freaking much for trusting on us to find stuff by ourselves.

And the graphics are just ridiculous. I'm a graphic whore, so its worth the $70 just for the graphics, not even kidding.

Last edited:

lh032

Oh. It's very simple in Callisto. When you see the enemy and they see you start holding left or right to dodge and if I remember correctly you should switch it up
yea, especially when the enemy running at you, just hold down the left analog (left or right) and its a guaranteed dodge lol

Fabieter

So you just spamming left and right if enemys are around you no matter if they attack you at the moment.

I guess the last part with unituive is true and my problem.

lh032

And now after some hours I can safely say: you can fight 3 or more enemies at the same time no problem.

The thing is: you have to be smart and use your options. You cant brute force it by spamming melee attacks. Probabky the reason why reviewers had a bad time. I found Dead Space to be much more limited and easier in comparison.

One example: I was riding a gondola, and at the end of the track, there were 3 enemies waiting for me. I thought "well, I'm fucked"

What I did: used kinesis to throw 2 of them out of a clif, and fought the last one alone. If there were 4, I could have killed one of them from distance with my weapon.

The only bad design choice so far are the head thingy that jumps at you from afar.

Also, I dont think the game is too linear. It is linear, but I've found plenty of cool optional areas with great rewards such as new weapons schematics.

One example: I was looking for a fuse to power some door in order to progress, but I then I thought: "I've seen a door just like this one also needing power a while ago"

So I went back there, and it worked. I've gained access to an optional area with an audio log and a weapon schematic.

Any other game would have the MC saying to himself "I think I saw one other like this before", pointing it on your map, with Atreus shouting "WHAT ABOUT USING IT ON THAT DOOR, FATHER?""

So I applaud these guys so freaking much for trusting on us to find stuff by ourselves.
telekinesis is very important in this game imo, life saver, and max upgrade is really powerful, its like a mini rocket launcher when you launch one to another enemy.
There are quite a number of areas where you can just wipe out an entire area of enemy with just kinesis alone.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

yea, especially when the enemy running at you, just hold down the left analog (left or right) and its a guaranteed dodge lol
Facts and it's actually satisfying to dodge their attacks, you feel like you're untouchable when you do it right lol

Hobbygaming

telekinesis is very important in this game imo, life saver, and max upgrade is really powerful, its like a mini rocket launcher when you launch one to another enemy.
There are quite a number of areas where you can just wipe out an entire area of enemy with just kinesis alone.
Thanks for this tip! I was looking at that upgrade earlier it said it can damage the enemy when it grabs them or something like that before you launch them

lh032

Thanks for this tip! I was looking at that upgrade earlier it said it can damage the enemy when it grabs them or something like that before you launch them
not sure whether it damages the enemy, but i max the launch tree. Launch tree seems to maximize the damage when you launch the monster to another one.

K' Dash

It clearly says there’s no window, you can just hold the stick to the left or right and he will dodge, if the enemy does a combo just alternate left and right and you will dodge them all, the movements are telegraphed, so you’ll know if they come for a second hit.

Once you upgrade your baton and get the hand cannon it becomes a walk in the park.

Hobbygaming

And the graphics are just ridiculous. I'm a graphic whore, so its worth the $70 just for the graphics, not even kidding.
I think you're on to something here. They probably didn't use the environments to their advantage, sometimes there's things on the walls you can launch the enemy into or you can just launch them to their deaths. The quick target shot after a melee hit helps a lot too

And if you don't stump the enemy after you down them you don't get the credits, health or ammo pickup

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Game is pretty difficult with enemy encounters until you get a strap on Normal then it kind of evens out.

Wish the dodge mechanic was a button press on PS5 instead of the stick movement.

Other than that I'm having a good time. Missed some optional shit since I was unsure which path way to go down but that's not a negative. Could easily play this again once I'm done if I like it to the end.

Pokemon Scarlet&Violet gets an 8 from Gamespot that's a piece of shit that's falling apart as you play it but this gets a 5 for being a non handholding linear experience? lol.

Hugare

I think you're on to something here. They probably didn't use the environments to their advantage, sometimes there's things on the walls you can launch the enemy into or you can just launch them to their deaths. The quick target shot after a melee hit helps a lot too

And if you don't stump the enemy after you down them you don't get the credits, health or ammo pickup
Exactly.

In other games such as Dead Space, other options such as kinesis are there as something that you can use if you want to, as well as environmental stuff (explosive things and etc). You can easily finish DS by shooting limbs + stasis once and a while.

Here, they are essential. I had another encounter with 3 enemies, that I had to think for a while before engaging. "Ok, I will throw this one at the spikes, the ither one I will shot and the other one I'll fight melee".

I'm at chapter 3 and Ichave only died once so far. And it was my fault. Never felt unfair.

Game is pretty difficult with enemy encounters until you get a strap on Normal then it kind of evens out.

Wish the dodge mechanic was a button press on PS5 instead of the stick movement.

Other than that I'm having a good time. Missed some optional shit since I was unsure which path way to go down but that's not a negative. Could easily play this again once I'm done if I like it to the end.

Pokemon Scarlet&Violet gets an 8 from Gamespot that's a piece of shit that's falling apart as you play it but this gets a 5 for being a non handholding linear experience? lol.

A tip: if you dont want to lose an optional area, pay atention to the autosave. If the game saves, you are on the main path. Turn back and go the other way.

lh032

Oh ok I'm gonna choose that next 💪
not sure you know about this, different ammo will spawn once you unlock and buy different weapon.
So if you would like to increase the chances of getting that particular type of ammo, its best not to invest in too many weapons. Different ammo take up a slot inventory as well, seems more troublesum to me personally.

Last edited:

Strider311

After the patch, I'm getting solid 60fps, max settings (without RT) on an ultra wide 3440x1440. The previous performance issues sucked, yes, but not enough to warrant this hyperbolic response just trashing the game. Now that it is fixed, I don't get what all the hate is for. As a HUGE Dead Space fan, this scratches the itch extremely well.

SteadyEvo

Those that bought it, does the lack of new game plus suck? It’s always fun playing again to fully upgrade weapons and feel OP.

Sounds like I’ll wait for a sale or for it to pop up on a subscription service.

Bartski

Gold Member
Callisto Protocol made me legitimately angry at myself much more than I am angry at the devs and the publisher. I am officially done playing games on "hard" unless it's ND or another studio with a track record.

A quick word of advice from my fellow trophy sluts - do not attempt "Maximum Security" unless you're a complete self-destructible masochist and feel like going against a bunch of straight-up broken core mechanics, especially during boss fights, coupled with baffling game design school book failures. The game features an exploit where you can switch the difficulty to maximum after playing the whole game past the final boss on medium for "The protocol is about life" trophy. Something I didn't know about all the way to the final boss.

TJHLnQd.jpg

and thank fucking god. I somehow made it during a single, almost blind playthrough. More on that later.

There are great things about this game. Truly amazing AAA stuff. Ingredients of a modern current-gen survival horror benchmark that CP was supposed to be. What it needed tho is one more year of solid early build playtesting and iterations.

I really wanna talk about it all in more detail but need to go off the grid now. I'll chime in later after I check some reviews, I have a feeling I might agree with some of them.

lh032

Callisto Protocol made me legitimately angry at myself much more than I am angry at the devs and the publisher. I am officially done playing games on "hard" unless it's ND or another studio with a track record.

A quick word of advice from my fellow trophy sluts - do not attempt "Maximum Security" unless you're a complete self-destructible masochist and feel like going against a bunch of straight-up broken core mechanics, especially during boss fights, coupled with baffling game design school book failures. The game features an exploit where you can switch the difficulty to maximum after playing the whole game past the final boss on medium for "The protocol is about life" trophy. Something I didn't know about all the way to the final boss.

TJHLnQd.jpg

and thank fucking god. I somehow made it during a single, almost blind playthrough. More on that later.

There are great things about this game. Truly amazing AAA stuff. Ingredients of a modern current-gen survival horror benchmark that CP was supposed to be. What it needed tho is one more year of solid early build playtesting and iterations.

I really wanna talk about it all in more detail but need to go off the grid now. I'll chime in later after I check some reviews, I have a feeling I might agree with some of them.
The boss are easy when its 1v1, the real problem is when there are other enemies on the screen besides the boss.

FYI if you’re playing on PS5, the HDMI black level range is broken in this game. To fix, set your PS5 settings to Limited (not Auto) and it should then send the correct black level signal to the tv. Annoying. Hope they patch this.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll pass that onto my friend who was irked by that.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What's up with the low frame rate of the fire in the game (looks like it is locked to 20-30 FPS) and very outdated smoke effect which turns with the camera and animated with 1-2 FPS (It looks very bad) and why haven't they used thick volumetric steam from one of the location in the game instead? It's so strange to see in a game so beautiful as TCP very outdated smoke effects here and there which was also badly cropped.
eC1rFMg.png
1EKqUjE.png
Shadow maps are also not good. Obviously I'm nitpicking here, but if I was working on the game, I would've fixed all this and made the game look better in some places, even if I would't get paid to do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom