• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol Devs working on fixing PC Issuie

Kacho

Oh I thought they were based on Korea. They should really be using SBRST (split based relative standard time) between the two locations.
It’s almost 10 pm in Cali now. Guessing the patch took a minute to go through the cert process, hence the delay? Either that or last minute updates.

jigglet

Banned
It’s almost 10 pm in Cali now. Guessing the patch took a minute to go through the cert process, hence the delay? Either that or last minute updates.

Yeah I’m not complaining about it being too slow or whatever. I’m just saying they should really be quoting a time relative to where I am. I know there’s a large community of gamers out there all over the world but I’m the only one that matters to me.

Last edited:
so they had a patch out in the first 8 hours , how did they not have a pc patch ready for release? they prob could have saved their steam rating

Kacho

Elden Ring launched with the same stuttering issue and people still praised the game with overwhelming support.
Tbf I never had stuttering issues on PC. It obviously affected a lot of people because the game sold bananas, but I don’t think it was as widespread as Callisto Protocol.

ZehDon

Gold Member
so they had a patch out in the first 8 hours , how did they not have a pc patch ready for release? they prob could have saved their steam rating
As has been posted a few times, it looks like there was an error with the initial release, it was incorrectly patched prior to launch. The release PC version wasn’t the one that was greenlit. It’s a fuck up with versions.

People did, and continue to, give shit to From about their engine/lack of optimization.

But ER's launch issues were nowhere near this bad.
Wrong. ER was playable at least. Just look the video as this game even dropped to 1 fps dam. Game was totally unable and most time game was stuttering rather than rendering the game.

//DEVIL//

like you didn't know about this issue before? no one even tried to compile the game to see it running for 10 mins which is all it takes to figure there is a fucking problem????? ?

FU, you knew about these issues and did nothing but release it anyway.

No dev is lazy dev, if you don't know how is the software development environment, simply shut your mouth.
This is a big project with small team, dealing with deadlines. Be respectful for any software developer.
I've done software/game development before and also have a degree in 3D Game Art and worked with programmers as an artist. Oh and I also work in the gaming industry and run a gaming website and have done dozens of interviews with top notch devs. The joke is on you. I am well aware of what happens during game dev.

Lazy/Bad devs do exist just like shitty real estate agents in real estate or fucking horrible lawyers. There are shit apples in every line of field. Lower down your condescending tone little Timmy and go drink your milk before bed or no Xmas gifts for you this year.

Last edited:
No dev is lazy dev, if you don't know how is the software development environment, simply shut your mouth.
This is a big project with small team, dealing with deadlines. Be respectful for any software developer.
cut the crap dude. Dev A tests and optomizes the shit out of their game. Delivers a smooth and well received product. Dev B fails to test their own game and takes shortcuts in optimizing resulting in an inferior product at launch. God forbid they get called the dreaded “L” word though you guys get triggered every time.

Stop defending this kind of thing its rediculous and you guys look silly every time. Instead of getting annoyed that the same avoidable performance issues keep ruining a games launch you’re upset about them being called lazy.

Priorities bro ...we don’t owe them our gratitude they want $70 for their game. Is it too much to expect from them? No!!

Rea

I've done software/game development before and also have a degree in 3D Game Art and worked with programmers as an artist. Oh and I also work in the gaming industry and run a gaming website and have done dozens of interviews with top notch devs. The joke is on you. I am well aware of what happens during game dev.

Lazy/Bad devs do exist just like shitty real estate agents in real estate or fucking horrible lawyers. There are shit apples in every line of field. Lower down your condescending tone little Timmy and go drink your milk before bed or no Xmas gifts for you this year.
Oh, the joke is blaming on devs when you don't know the real situation. Simply saying lazy dev is tiring. You should lower your condescending tone too, the real ones to blame are publishers who set the deadline tightly, not the actual devs who are working their ass off.

Rea

cut the crap dude. Dev A tests and optomizes the shit out of their game. Delivers a smooth and well received product. Dev B fails to test their own game and takes shortcuts in optimizing resulting in an inferior product at launch. God forbid they get called the dreaded “L” word though you guys get triggered every time.

Stop defending this kind of thing its rediculous and you guys look silly every time. Instead of getting annoyed that the same avoidable performance issues keep ruining a games launch you’re upset about them being called lazy.

Priorities bro ...we don’t owe them our gratitude they want $70 for their game. Is it too much to expect from them? No!!
The actual culprit is not the devs, its the publishers and Corpos who are setting the deadline tightly. The actual Devs are doing their best with limited time and budget which are given by their managers. Sure, there are games with correct time, budget, manpower, management. But not everything is the same in this world.

winjer

Gold Member
Here’s an idea; how about fixing your game before releasing it??

The speed by which this will be fixed makes you question why this wasn’t done to begin with?

The speed at which they fixed the issue, is directly proportional to the backlash they got from gamers.
I bet when they saw a 27% user score on Steam, the amount of threads on forums, including the Steam forums talking about the stutters, the refunds people were doing, and the videos from tech and gaming people, made them reconsider their stance on fixing the game.

If more and more devs feel the burn from not doing proper PSO gathering and shader compilation on load, word will spread and it will become an important focus for Q&A.

People on twitter are saying it's fixed the stuttering for them but performance is terrible with ray tracing on.

Yeah, RT is kind of hidden, too. I don't mind it, though. I didn't have the best performance with it on. I turned on FSR and it helped a ton, but no RT. I can live without it.
I wish games would show requirements for low and high end systems and not these bullshit numbers for 1080p. What fucking year is it...

Last edited:

Thaedolus

The speed at which they fixed the issue, is directly proportional to the backlash they got from gamers.
I bet when they saw a 27% user score on Steam, the amount of threads on forums, including the Steam forums talking about the stutters, the refunds people were doing, and the videos from tech and gaming people, made them reconsider their stance on fixing the game.

If more and more devs feel the burn from not doing proper PSO gathering and shader compilation on load, word will spread and it will become an important focus for Q&A.
The speed at which they fixed the issue shows it was a minor error that seemed to be missed, not that the devs were lazy and thought nobody would notice the stuttering. They obviously didn’t think they released a game with stuttering and were like oh shit toggle that switch to precache on.

Never assume first malice when incompetence will suffice

winjer

Gold Member
The speed at which they fixed the issue shows it was a minor error that seemed to be missed, not that the devs were lazy and thought nobody would notice the stuttering. They obviously didn’t think they released a game with stuttering and were like oh shit toggle that switch to precache on.

Never assume first malice when incompetence will suffice

That's why a team for Q&A is important. To avoid screw ups like these.
Devs today are too comfortable with releasing broken games at launch, and patching it later.
You can be sure that if the backlash wasn't so big, they would go for the weekend, and only after a few days, maybe consider fixing the issue.

Thaedolus

Devs today are too comfortable with releasing broken games at launch, and patching it later.
This shows that you’re missing the point: they didn’t know they shipped it with a broken ini. QA (it’s not Q&A FYI) didn’t see the stuttering and sign off on it. It was likely an issue of version control where the wrong configuration shipped on accident. That’s different than being comfortable releasing it broken then fixing it later. They didn’t think they were shipping the game with that stuttering.

winjer

Gold Member
This shows that you’re missing the point: they didn’t know they shipped it with a broken ini. QA (it’s not Q&A FYI) didn’t see the stuttering and sign off on it. It was likely an issue of version control where the wrong configuration shipped on accident. That’s different than being comfortable releasing it broken then fixing it later. They didn’t think they were shipping the game with that stuttering.

They would know if they played the release version.
And it wasn't just a bad ini. People tried playing the game with an ini with shader compilation on load enabled, but still got stutters.

Buggy Loop

Not the first time. Every game with Ray Tracing on is unplayable even if you RTX 4090. Clearly developers cannot optimize the game with Raytracing on for PC.

r/AyyMD should have been the name of their RT optimization

But seriously, is it also problematic with AMD cards?

The patch went live, but my Steam froze when trying to implement. Uninstalled and re-downloading now. Fingers crossed their patch fixes the stuttering I saw last night that made the game worthless to play.

baphomet

Not buying it until it's actually fixed.

Warhammer 40k Darktide launched the other day and I was getting 35-40fps with my CPU and GPU at like ~30%. Less than 2 days later we got an update and new Nvidia drivers and I'm getting 180+fps with everything on max, including ray tracing.

I have faith they'll get it fixed.

thief183

So, I tried the game not patched on my various rig, as always my main one doesn't have any problem, I don't know why, the weaker one do, and it is kinda BS. I still can't find out why my main rig (9900k and a 3080) never have this problem.

drotahorror

So, I tried the game not patched on my various rig, as always my main one doesn't have any problem, I don't know why, the weaker one do, and it is kinda BS. I still can't find out why my main rig (9900k and a 3080) never have this problem.

The game got patched last night at midnight, how did you manage to not patch it and why wouldn't you? Also shader compilation stutter is a universal issue.

Buggy Loop

FjC3GmRXEAEDcDA.png

Holy crap

It needs more than just graphic updates. The save system is fucked up

YESSSS!!! They weren't lying! The PC patch actually works! Getting 100+fps 1440p Ultra (w/o RT) on a 3080. This game is beautiful. Haven't seen a single stutter like the ones I was getting every few seconds last night!

Edit: Getting about 60-80fps U Ultra with RT @1440p. Think I'll play it this way. Next-Gen-looking for sure

Edit2: Sorry, Ultra. Didn't realize I'd ping you lol

Last edited:

damidu

Japanese developer and PC don't mix so nobody was surprised.
only elden ring plays like shit basically on every platform it launched, their games never hold target framerates have horrible framepacing for over a decade now.

they simply don’t get half the flak other devs do.
basically only digital foundry calls out their issues.

Oh stop

r/AyyMD should have been the name of their RT optimization

But seriously, is it also problematic with AMD cards?
All most all RT games are surprisingly CPU limited ,rather than GPU.

Major bottleneck of PC port are mainly CPU bottleneck due OS and driver overhead.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Lol I have a 11900k and a 3090 and the game suggest that I play without ray tracing…and it’s true the game fps tank below 60fps next week cannot come soon enough for my 4090

ACESHIGH

Banned
They can go an eat a bag of 12 inch (30 cm) dicks. "Some users" my arse. What about performance issues other than stuttering?
As if they didn't know.

J3nga

Game is okay from 5 hours I played(not great not terrible). Sadly by the time they'll fix(if they will) no one will remember it even came out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom