• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The better version of MGSV came out 12 years ago today

One of the best PSP games I played and a great Metal Gear. I loved the cutscene artworks and animations - wish more developers used that style. The bite-sized missions were a lot of fun and allowed for a large variety of environments and objectives. While the story wasn't mind-blowing as you would expect an MGS story to be, it had some heartfelt moments. The dialogue writing and voice acting were impeccable, come to think of it this was David Hayter's last performance. Some gameplay moments were outstanding like the mission where you go all out against enemies. Bosses were tedious but the Peace Walker final fight was incredible.

CamHostage

One of the best PSP games I played and a great Metal Gear.

I have Peacewalker but for some reason it got buried in my pile, so the only PSP Metal Gear I played through was Portable Ops...

I personally recommend that one though, it's not by Kojima (and neither PSP game really solved the single-analog stick issue; PW did some things better, but I also hear it removed crawl and did some other things differently,) but PO is kind of the proto-Peacewalker, with a story that really helps going from 3 to PW to V (albeit PW re-retconned some things in it.) It's a bite-sized, mission-at-a-time style game, but there's also bosses and an evolving story when you're not just grinding out tasks on different maps. Certainly not perfect, you're fine if you missed it, but it's got some memorable moments and contributions to the saga.

To me, the two PSP games go hand in hand, and although I get why it didn't fit, it's sort of a shame that the MGS HD Collection didn't remaster both games. (AC!D 1&2 could have been done over too, but those don't fit any canon; also MGS GB was pretty good and could have been redone a bit like the MG 1&2 games on that HD Collection.)

Last edited:
I have Peacewalker but for some reason it got buried in my pile, so the only PSP Metal Gear I played was Portable Ops...

I personally recommend that one though, it's not by Kojima (and neither PSP game really solved the single-analog stick issue; PW did some things better, but I also hear it removed crawl and did some other things differently,) but PO is kind of the proto-Peacewalker, with a story that really helps going from 3 to PW to V (albeit PW re-retconned some things in it.) It's a bite-sized, mission-at-a-time style game, but there's also bosses and an evolving story when you're not just grinding out tasks on different maps. Certainly not perfect, you're fine if you missed it, but it's got some memorable moments and contributions to the saga.

To me, the two PSP games go hand in hand, and although I get why it didn't fit, it's sort of a shame that the MGS HD Collection didn't remaster both games. (AC!D 1&2 could have been done over too, but those don't fit any canon; also MGS GB was pretty good and could have been redone a bit like the MG 1&2 games on that HD Collection.)
Thank you for posting this. You summed up my thoughts about Portable Ops. I played it twice before Peace Walker. It's a shame fans don't talk about it despite it having introduced the soldier recruitment mechanic and being a solid game overall. Proto-Peace Walker is a great way to describe it. For a game where Kojima wasn't involved, the team behind it did a great job.

solidus12

It would be cool if there was a similar comment to change discs and when Snake goes to light a cigarette (MGS4 loading callback) Otacon tells him the SSD had already loaded it in. Snake grumbled that he used to have time to smoke a cigarette waiting for it before.
There's the option to have one complete installation at the beginning.

SZips

Peace Walker is unironically one of my favorite MGS titles ever.

I had the Peace Walker logo on a mousepad for quite some time. I had a part of the Peace Walker main theme as my ringtone for the longest time as well. It's the bit starting around the 2:00 minute mark:

The bit before it is this sort of "calm before the storm" before the next segment just blasts you with this intensity and I absolutely LOVE it.

I have Peacewalker but for some reason it got buried in my pile, so the only PSP Metal Gear I played through was Portable Ops...

I loved portable ops. I think thats where PAZ originates also

The original mgsv, kojima says in his mind the idea start with The Boss in Normandy and sadly we dont get that, the mgsv we got its a terrible metal gear full of plotholes, terrible story and a bland expwrience, peace walker like you say is the better mgsv, the Best psp game and 1 of the Best mgs in gameplay

Last edited:
I also love Portable Ops. It's CRIMINALLY underrated. I love the story so damn much. And Calling to the Night is an amazing track.
The gameplay its not as good as PW, But at the time, 2006 was amazing (yes it needed a New scheme control) and the story was fucking amazing, and yes its fucking canon, But like all non mgs kojima games, sadly it was not re released (digital copy arrive post vita), the 2 acid games never Go digital in North América and lets not forget the biggest list mgs of all, GHOST FUCKING BABEL

treemk

Banned
I was so freakin hyped for this game, borrowed my brother's PSP to play through Portable Ops and then pre ordered the Big Boss PSP.

The game fully lived up to it. I played it for hundreds of hours and 100% the game. Co-op and PVP using the PS3 program (Adhoc party?) was really fun too. The game was fully designed for the PSP in a way that made it fell better for being portable instead of limited or watered down.

Unfortunately my battery swelled up, so I need to find a new one before I can use my PSP again

rupMvDH.jpg

Last edited:
Finally playing these games on my Vita, almost done with 3. Probably going to do PW next unless someone makes a strong case for PO. After 1-3 I'm desperate for a game with solid, modern controls lol

Finally playing these games on my Vita, almost done with 3. Probably going to do PW next unless someone makes a strong case for PO. After 1-3 I'm desperate for a game with solid, modern controls lol
If you alrdedy played 1 to 3, play the release order, portable ops, 4 and pw, the games not only have good gameplay, have amazing story

Peace Walker was brilliant. I also enjoyed the animated comic book style cutscenes

Really wish they brought it to PC or remastered for newer consoles
Me and my Best friend are actually playing peace walker since Last week on xbox series x/s, you can play it on xbox one as well

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I actually didn't realize this was BC on Xbox? Just bought it https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/mgs-pw-hd/BQXWH8FJK3V0 ironically XSX is the best overall MGS saga console at the moment all thats missing is MGS1 and 4. Curious how it holds up visually...I played Ninja Gaiden 2 the other day for the first time and the art direction made it seem current gen...until you zoom in on textures lol.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

I was so freakin hyped for this game, borrowed my brother's PSP to play through Portable Ops and then pre ordered the Big Boss PSP.

The game fully lived up to it. I played it for hundreds of hours and 100% the game. Co-op and PVP using the PS3 program (Adhoc party?) was really fun too. The game was fully designed for the PSP in a way that made it fell better for being portable instead of limited or watered down.

Unfortunately my battery swelled up, so I need to find a new one before I can use my PSP again

rupMvDH.jpg
We lost too many good PSPs to this
sad metal gear solid GIF

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's light on story & bosses, level design could be better and the controls were difficult to get around (but emulated you can make it a bit better setting the d-pad camera to the 2nd analog stick, which is still gonna be digital but oh well) but the mood, style & ideas were ace, Kojima adopted many.

Portable Ops is flawed but neat, I wish PW/V were more like it, but with Kojima back onboard instead of just expanding on its awesome ideas and features and and bringing in some QOL changes to it all, they just went to batshit crazy extremes where you just fulton everyone and everything in it.

There was also the expandalone Portable Ops + which doubled down on randomized missions and the multiplayer (which I guess was pretty awesome for the PSP all things considered, much like Metal Gear Online was for the PS2, It had new characters and collabs like Old Snake before MGS4).

It's the final "classic" Metal Gear Solid game before 4, PW and V went in a totally different direction so shouldn't be missed for that alone, though I guess if you're playing them in a sequence you can always play some newer games then go back to this, they didn't release chronologically after all.

Last edited:

rolandss

Peace Walker is unironically one of my favorite MGS titles ever.

I had the Peace Walker logo on a mousepad for quite some time. I had a part of the Peace Walker main theme as my ringtone for the longest time as well. It's the bit starting around the 2:00 minute mark:

The bit before it is this sort of "calm before the storm" before the next segment just blasts you with this intensity and I absolutely LOVE it.

Peace Walker was GOAT metal gear for me for a long time. I used to marvel at how good it looked on psp. I remember vividly playing it and passing it on a holiday to France and UK. I bought it to play on the plane and got hooked, and used all my down time, whether it after a days sightseeing and in between restaurants or on trains before sleeping in my hotel, playing that game. I even managed to get a Peace Walker tshirt at a Uniqlo in Paris. It was fucking brilliant. Still have it, and still have the PSP. Tempted to fire it up.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The game I bought a PSP Go for.

Amazing experience, even though a lot of the gameplay is held back by the handheld design nature. Better base building mechanics than MGSV, too.

DelireMan7

Never played Peace Walker. I have the MGS HD Collection on PS3. Is this pretty a good candidate to get into it?
If you're not familiar with at least MGS3, I would say Peace Walker is not a good starting point.

Best is MGS1, 2 3 and then PW.
You could go MGS3 directly and then PW.

EDIT : On topic, I played it first time last year and it's amazing. One of the best of the series. Those "comic style" cutscenes... Wonderful

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
Portable Ops is flawed but neat, I wish PW/V were more like it, but with Kojima back onboard instead of just expanding on its awesome ideas and features and and bringing in some QOL changes to it all, they just went to batshit crazy extremes where you just fulton everyone and everything in it.

The futon could have used more limitations, more so in V than PW but for me having to drag people around so much in PO was one of the worst things about it. The wormhole in V does kinda ruin the game.

Still makes me laugh that people think peace walker is a good mgs game, it's not even a good game.

Missions last what like 1 minute with 3 enemies you can just run past.

Boring bullet sponge bosses

Awful story with snake in love with a computer he wants to fuck.

DelireMan7

Still makes me laugh that people think peace walker is a good mgs game, it's not even a good game.

I give you the bullet sponge bosses.

For the rest, it looks like you didn't play the full game xD

But I'd say it's not for everyone.

If you're not familiar with at least MGS3, I would say Peace Walker is not a good starting point.

Best is MGS1, 2 3 and then PW.
You could go MGS3 directly and then PW.

EDIT : On topic, I played it first time last year and it's amazing. One of the best of the series. Those "comic style" cutscenes... Wonderful

Sorry if I didn't express myself correctly. I have played MGS1, Twin Snakes, MGS2, MGS3, MGS3 Subsistence, MGS4 and finally MGSV. A bunch of times for MGS1-2-3 especially. It's only Peace Walker that I've skipped. I was wonderous if the PS3 port included in the HD Collection is a good rendition or if I should hunt a PSP copy instead.

DelireMan7

Sorry if I didn't express myself correctly. I have played MGS1, Twin Snakes, MGS2, MGS3, MGS3 Subsistence, MGS4 and finally MGSV. A bunch of times for MGS1-2-3 especially. It's only Peace Walker that I've skipped. I was wonderous if the PS3 port included in the HD Collection is a good rendition or if I should hunt a PSP copy instead.
Ha sorry xD

I heard the PS3 version is the best. Better graphics, framerate... I played the PSP version last year and it was fine for me. A bit rough at the start but quickly I didn't mind it anymore. The PSP stick can be annoying and the aiming controls are weird at first.
I think the PS3 version is the must play now that I think about it.

treemk

Banned

One minute is an exaggeration on how short they are, but short missions is exactly what you should have on a portable game.

Bullet sponge bosses are negated by upgrading your weapons and co-op, the giant robots and monsters are fucking awesome in co-op. All of the main story level bosses can be deleted in seconds with upgraded weapons. I imagine it was heavily designed for kids on a train, bus, or at school playing co-op but I did most of it on adhoc party.

The story is cheese with some cringe, that's just MGS.

The game is a masterclass on how to make a big IP work on portable. Did you play it on PSP or the PS3 remaster?

The PS3 version is good but you miss the charm of playing it on PSP, worth playing if you don't have access to a PSP.

Fbh

First Metal Gear I didn't finish.
Boring plot, boring small areas limited by the PSP hardware, terrible bosses and I fucking hate the base building. Shame it became the blueprint for MGSV

Top Bottom