• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Released 3 Years Ago Today!

PS5 dropped on November 12, 2020, hitting up Australia, Japan, New Zealand, North America, and South Korea first, followed by a worldwide rollout a week later.

Can you believe it's been a solid 3 years already!? SIE and third-party devs have been dishing out some killer titles, giving us some dope ass experiences and thrills. But hold up, 2024 is shaping up to be a banger for both first-party and third-party releases!

Aight, GAF fam, let's hear it! What are your hardware takes? Any standout games that rocked your world so far? Share your thoughts on anticipated features and spill the beans on upcoming announced and unannounced games. We're all ears! 😎

Nankatsu

Gold Member
pretty-cool-cerny.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nov 19th in europe.
I ordered mine on release date when orders opened... and it was out of stock everywhere.
But the store kept my order and realized it in janaury... 21st of january. It was a long damn wait.
Worth it. I love the console... and then hunt for pulse 3d began lol

Kurotri

I love its futuristic design and playing Demon's Soul at launch was something else. I still maintain it's a must have game and one of the best that PS5 has to offer. Had a blast with FF16, Forbidden West and GoW Ragnarok. Sony's future single player offerings are all pretty high on my list. Still, I decided to sell mine in the meantime as I want to have the Pro instead.

Nov 19th in europe.
I ordered mine on release date when orders opened... and it was out of stock everywhere.
But the store kept my order and realized it in janaury... 21st of january. It was a long damn wait.
Worth it. I love the console... and then hunt for pulse 3d began lol
Wait, there were no pre-orders in Poland for the PS5? You just had to be lucky enough to order one on release day instead?

I think I pre-ordered my launch PS5 unit back in September of that year. We had roughly one hour window to pre-order the launch PS5 (disc or digital).
Made sure that me and all my close buddies secured our pre-orders.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wait, there were no pre-orders in Poland for the PS5? You just had to be lucky enough to order one on release day instead?

I think I pre-ordered my launch PS5 unit back in September of that year. We had roughly one hour window to pre-order the launch PS5 (disc or digital).
I think there were very time limited pre-orders in Poland but I was in work or something that day and couldn't pre-order.
But in the end... pre-orderd and day1 orders were both delayed just the same

I can still remember my friends saying I'm stupid for pre-ordering the ps5 at gamestop. There will be enough of them ha. Somehow I was the only one who had one for a long time.
I feel you, had to convince some my friends to pre-order it ASAP cuz there was so much uncertainty regarding stock availability of PS5 due to all the news regarding disrupted supply chains. The stock on release date was sooo little that it sold out in like 5 min and then retailer chains started doing lotteries for a chance to buy a PS5 every time they managed to get some units from Sony. 🙃

Last edited:
It was a great premiere with Demons souls, Miles Morales or trying the Dualsense with Astro, it was also fun to see how the analyzes of the first multis (Valhalla, Dirt5, etc...) finished FUD of all the previous months quickly.

Man...I can't believe it's been that long. I'm honestly surprised too that I've gone this entire generation without having picked up a PS5 or SX.

Still, I'm so glad to see Playstation doing so well. I grew up with a NES and then Genesis, but it really wasn't until I got my Playstation that I really started diving deeper into games.

Keep it up Sony!

Three years and I'm still waiting for a single killer app game which makes it worth getting.

That's kind of where I'm at with it too. It almost has enough to finally warrant a purchase, but it's not quite there if you have a competent PC setup already. I've been totally fine waiting tbh.

The only games that I want to play or replay is Demon Souls remake and Ghosts of Tsushima. Other than that, most of the PS5's exclusive library has been pretty bog-standard "summer blockbuster" affairs, which I don't hate, but they are typically flash in the pan kind of moments where I don't really care or think about them outside of my brief time with them. So waiting hasn't really been a big deal of any real accord.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Good stuff so far

4f4Hqbm.png
Astro, Sackboy, TLOU and miles morales are the best games here. Feels like the PS5 is a remake machine. Mine is collecting dust. I’d like to buy a slim but there’s nothing there for me.

Ghost of Tsushima is vastly overrated. Basically Asscreed with better combat. Horizon is a Ubisoft game with fantastic graphics. Over the shoulder open world Kratos is crap. Returnal… I’m good. Finished demon souls on PS3.

Best game is TLOU which I’ve played across 3 generations already.

Sony have been slow starters and usually finish strong towards the end of the consoles life. Hope that’s the case here as well.

SABRE220

Arguably the best console of this gen(Nintendo has a decent case) but goddamn I just realized just how underwhelming the output has been this gen compared to earlier gens...barely any next gen games, barely any first party output besides insomniac. 3years is almost halfway into a console generation so we cant really claim its early gen etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom