• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Released 3 Years Ago Today!

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I bought one the first january it came out. It wasn't until this year that actual games I'd want to play started coming out on it.

amigastar

It's wild to me that the PS5 is out for three years and it feels like we've barely scratched the surface of what the machine can do (aside from some exclusives).

Still feels like we're in a cross-gen period.
You sure about that? We all know that the jump from PS4 Pro to the PS5 is smaller than PS3 to PS4. I guess we see when GTA 6 comes out.

skit_data

I felt the same way in the subway, on the way home a bunch of teenagers recognized what I had with me. I have to say that I got a little nervous. The Ps5 was in a bigger bag but the top end was still sticking out.
Fam, ain't no way.... You have balls of steel, so respect!
Well in retrospective it's probably more likely people thought I was the robber tbh.
I almost always wear large black hoodies, a black cap, shades in the middle of winter and oversized green cargo pants which probably gives off the impression of me being somewhat of a questionable individual xD

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Better to celebrate that it's still alive than mourn it's death.

Don't you agree?

You have 3 days to comply otherwise the choice will be made for you.

Not the same. One is like if I threw a party for the day I built my pc every year.

The other is a company/service failure.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
And any time now we might get a game that actually uses its power!

Yay GIF by YoungerTV

Well in retrospective it's probably more likely people thought I was the robber tbh.
I almost always wear large black hoodies, a black cap, shades in the middle of winter and oversized green cargo pants which probably gives off the impression of me being somewhat of a questionable individual xD
Haha, I can see how that combination of clothes might give off a certain impression/vibe. XD The city I live in is safe, but even so I preferred to have the PS5 shipped to my door as people started being a bit too crazy around the console's launch. XD

Last edited:

TastyPastry

fantastic console and lineup of games but mostly because of third parties and not because of sony, i hope naughty dog, sucker punch, team asobi and so on deliver soon and not just gaas games

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Good console, it would have been better, but the clutches of Jim Ryan and his policies denigrated it.

The good thing is that this CEO is leaving... And the console can be better.

I got it a year ago, at Christmas, along with my launch video games, which were Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Clank and Demon souls.... And during that period my dad gave me Elden Ring as a Christmas gift.

Last edited:

Reallink

It's wild to me that the PS5 is out for three years and it feels like we've barely scratched the surface of what the machine can do (aside from some exclusives).

Still feels like we're in a cross-gen period.

Nothing wild about it. It's the PS4 Super Pro the spec sheet detailed 4 years ago, which you've already recognized it to be the last 3 years.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The 'forever Cross gen' console.....If you skipped PS4 its like PS4's "Super Pro" that they called PS5 I honestly think its a great system for people who never owned a PS4

I have a long history of getting sony consoles at launch psx/ps2/ps3/ps4.....I have no reason to even go near this one from launch to today

Hoping for more of a Japanese focus in the future but I doubt it

The 'forever Cross gen' console.....If you skipped PS4 its like PS4's "Super Pro" that they called PS5 I honestly think its a great system for people who never owned a PS4

I have a long history of getting sony consoles at launch psx/ps2/ps3/ps4.....I have no reason to even go near this one from launch to today

Hoping for more of a Japanese focus in the future but I doubt it
FF7 Rebirth is PS5 only title and it's coming in late Feb so maybe that would be a good enough reason to jump in. Oh and FFXVI too which released half a year ago.

Last edited:
They have failed to release actual next gen games. We have a few ps4.5 games at least- demons souls, Forbidden West, Ratchet, Spiderman 2

We need a PS5 Pro badly. FSR2 is killing the image quality of every game that's just a little bit demanding. Also, PC is pulling so far ahead of the consoles and its going to get much worse when the next line of cards comes out. Still havnt seen any proper ray tracing yet unless we consider Metro Exodus - but that game is so sacrificed in other areas. Spiderman 2's reflections are nice I guess. Cyberpunk, Alan Wake 2, Control, Robocop, Jedi Survivor, and Dying Light 2 are examples of games that look SO much better on PC due to ray tracing and iq. What do they have in common? They're actually pushing next gen graphics.

Sony only has one first party game, Spiderman 2, that's pushing Ray Tracing in any kind of way.

nial

Gold Member
3 years since the last two games SIE Japan Studio produced (Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls) is insane.

Got 2 at launch, kept one for myself and found a random idiot buyer with no patience on ebay for a good scalping price of $2000. Profit.

Get fucked kid.

Demon's Souls honestly is the only worthy game of the console.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Got 2 at launch, kept one for myself and found a random idiot buyer with no patience on ebay for a good scalping price of $2000. Profit.

Get fucked kid.

Demon's Souls honestly is the only worthy game of the console.
And thats not even the best version of the game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Crazy that it's been 3 years - I've barely used mine, though that's mostly because I got mine at the end of last year and have been dealing with life stuff for most of this year.

But I'm enjoying it a lot now. I've kinda sidelined PC gaming because of the seemingly endless stuttering/optimization issues, so it's been nice to get back to actually just sitting down and playing shit.

There are some fantastic games on the platform but lately is a little quiet because I don't care about Spider Man so I can't wait for FF7 Rebirth

ReBurn

Gold Member
Happy birthday. To be honest, not a lot of the games have wowed me so far. Mainly the first party output mostly seems so safe and repetetive. Hopefully, we will start seeing more system seller type games im 2024 and beyond.
This is how I feel. I bought it about 8 months after launch. Whenever Sony started doing the lottery system on PlayStation Direct. Bought R&C immediately and loved it, then played the PS Plus Collection until Horizon Forbidden West released. Not a ton of games I really wanted, but the games I have played are a ton of fun. Really enjoyed Spider-Man 2. This year has been way too lean. I'm really hoping they have some good 2024 surprises.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
PS5 is amazing hardware and having the super fast SSD instead of the old 5400rpm hard drives has been a game changer not just in terms of games and loading times but how snappy and modern the consoles feel in general. The selection of games is fantastic as well and the backwards compatibility with PS4 only enhances that. I'm a big fan of the PS5 (and I skipped PS4 entirely).

nial

Gold Member
this picture is a lie.

Last of us Part 1 ? uncharted ? Ghost of T ? Spider man Remaster and MM ? FF7 remake ? Death standing ?? lol

All these games were PS4 games. they are ports to PS5. and not even a port worth praise or even true to the PS5 power.
Miles Morales was a cross-gen launch title and TLOUP1 a remake, not exactly the same as the PS4 remaster.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
this picture is a lie.

Last of us Part 1 ? uncharted ? Ghost of T ? Spider man Remaster and MM ? FF7 remake ? Death standing ?? lol

All these games were PS4 games. they are ports to PS5. and not even a port worth praise or even true to the PS5 power.
The Last Of Us Part I was a ground-up remake, just like Demon's Souls; Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and Final Fantasy VII Remake launched with additional story content; and Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered brought raytracing to the table even in performance modes, which was arguably a next-gen showcase for a launch title.

The only underwhelming re-release were the Uncharted remasters, but even those introduced haptics, quality and performance modes and instant load times, just like all the titles we've discussed earlier.

Top Bottom