• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best article I've read on NFT tech in gaming

shubik

While some of you still debate if this is real or not others make millions with this shit. The technology is real. It has a purpose. And it will succeed. Gaming will be a big part of the rise of NFT´s and crypto in general.

Be smart. Buy loopring and simply wait.

Last edited:
The maker cannot deny access to a specific copy of the content, nor ban specific copies, as i said thats not how this works.
He can tell you "you can't do x, y, z", in a way thats not any different from selling a CD that says in the cover "don't ressell this".
The NFT does not store the actual file on the blockchain. Even regular artwork is usually too large for it, let alone entire games. The NFT stores a link to the data you 'own'. Denying you access is as simple as renaming a file. And in the case of something like a game install, it won't even be a single file in all likelihood, but an entire distribution platform with the NFT simply containing the account data verifying that the owner of the NFT owns a specific game, and is to be allowed access to the platform - and since it's nothing but a digital key promising access and not even a link to a file, the platform can easily revoke that access.

While some of you still debate if this is real or not others make millions with this shit. The technology is real. It has a purpose. And it will succeed. Gaming will be a big part of the rise of NFT´s and crypto in general.

Be smart. Buy loopring and simply wait.
Oh we know it's real. And we know its purpose. Its purpose is making money, off of others. There is far too much technology out there with that purpose. And we'd like it as far away from gaming as possible, because games are where we go to have fun.

Last edited:

shubik

Oh we know it's real. And we know its purpose. Its purpose is making money, off of others. There is far too much technology out there with that purpose. And we'd like it as far away from gaming as possible, because games are where we go to have fun.

Gaming and collecting are not the only use cases for this technology. You should check out NFT´s in connection to Finance, music, logistics, and events for example.

Will there be money grabs and scams? Sure! Crypto as a business is still in its infancy. It's like the internet in the early/mid-'90s. But there is really no reason to hate on the tech itself.

Also: please don´t act like shady business models and scams are not already a part of our beloved hobby. It´s already in the hands of mega-corporations.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

I don't think so. You can still copy the digital assets as much as you want. As he explains in the article, for a PC to even render anything it copies it to different parts of the computer. All digital items are infinitely reproduceable.

That's why I said it's selling the lie of artificial scarcity. It's not actually making anything scarce except the code attached to it that says your JPEG is really special.

In the context of a video game asset or microtransaction, your NFT is nothing but the "you're special" code attached. You can't take your item to other games. You don't own the IP, or have access to use it any way you want. It's a stupid lie. The NFT is literally just a unique code attached to an infinite copy.

Im afraid by the way you describe it, that this NFT thing is gonna stick in some games, and people gonna love it. Sadly the only way this wouldnt become mainstrem is legal issues, a restricitng law or somethig.

The problem here is why does anyone think game companies would allow items from other games to be used in their own game? Examples in this thread like a unique gun with random properties, ok great you have it, where exactly are you using it? Are you telling me Activision is going to let me use that gun, which they received zero compensation for, in Call of Duty? And then EA is going to let me use the same gun in Battlefield, and Microsoft in Halo? Do you really think this?

I understand the technology but it sounds like this is hitting the same practical application hurdles as it has in business and finance. Most of the use cases are already closed systems, and if you are dealing with a closed system you don't need blockchain because you already have total control of ownership management. You don't need blockchain to manage the usage rights of a sword in an MMORPG. That MMORPG developer already has complete and full ownership and control of the weapons that appear in the game. They can create as many or as few as they want, and the ownership is maintained already on the servers they fully control. You need it to use the sword from another MMORPG in that MMO, but why would the developer ever allow that? They are too busy selling you their own $10 unique swords, why would they let some free unique sword from another game be used?

Guilty_AI

The NFT does not store the actual file on the blockchain. Even regular artwork is usually too large for it, let alone entire games. The NFT stores a link to the data you 'own'. Denying you access is as simple as renaming a file. And in the case of something like a game install, it won't even be a single file in all likelihood, but an entire distribution platform with the NFT simply containing the account data verifying that the owner of the NFT owns a specific game, and is to be allowed access to the platform - and since it's nothing but a digital key promising access and not even a link to a file, the platform can easily revoke that access.
And how is that any different than the way things are now? You buy a game on PSN, suddenly Sony decides that the account shouldn't be allowed to access those games anymore and RIP your library.
If thats all already in place anyway, you do have to wonder whats the point of implementing some NFT pass system in the first place, maybe at best trick some suckers into it just because it has NFT in the name.

Last edited:
"That's not how any of this works" is all we really hear in defense of this stuff. Can you provide a proper plain-language counterpoint on how it works, without turning it into a sales pitch? Because the "shitty biased articles" only support the conclusions I've reached myself after researching the concept, they're not the source of my view on it. The proposition of making money on games or art does not blind me to the logistical deficiencies of the idea.
Non Fungible Tokens (NFT) will have a part in the future. It is a way of identifying digital ownership. You purchase a digital good that has a unique identifier and this is logged in the blockchain, which is decentralized and no one owns. No one can alter your ownership I less you sell it and it is then transferred just like you would a digital currency.

Sure this can be applied to games and it ultimately will. But my issue is you or many others don’t understand how important this is moving forward. In one breath you don’t like the idea of it, but would you scoff at the idea of buying a game from the PSN store and then being able to sell that on a third market once you are done with it? Just like a physical used video game would be sold. You own that digital copy. No more do you have simply a “license”. Or perhaps you buy a ticket to a concert. All tickets in the future will be digital and you will be able to identify your ownership of it.
So let’s apply this to games. Some kid grinds a ton to get a rare in game item. He now owns it. He can transfer it to anyone else. And why not? He put in how many hours to get it? Is it valuable? The market dictates that but at least he has some sense of ownership, instead of the game company just locking it to his account and not allowing him to do anything with it once the servers shut down.
It creates wealth for the user when currently there is only wealth being given to Activision, 2k, etc.

Do you have a problem with owning more of what you pay for?

Guilty_AI

Owning things is fine. Limiting ownership of infinite resources is the downside we're discussing.
The resources are still infinite, what this amounts to is bragging rights. And if its about trading cards games or skins, artificial scarcity of digital 'goods' is already a thing even without NFTs.

Lanrutcon

Yes people get mad for nothing. Your posts language implies you're upset to begin with.

There are already ultra rare items in game, this would potentially bring a different angle to it. Also you could ensure the body of the transaction in the next node is tiny, like a uuid for the item and a player id, and if it were a game on servers you wouldn't need individuals to keep the whole transaction history. You don't need it to be decentralized like crypto currency. I think a lot of people conflate all the different Blockchain techs and confused themselves, like you seem to suggest.

You say "people", but you mean "the users that pay our salaries". That's how MMOs work. So yeah, getting them mad isn't good business and your idea would get them mad as similar attempts have in the past.

Ultra rare != 1. The difference is pretty obvious when you're dealing with player expectations.

The transaction history, the entire thing, would obviously be kept serverside to avoid interference. Again, obvious.

Blockchain tech has nothing to do with your terrible suggestion. The idea, even if just hinted at with any MMO community, would go down like a lead balloon.

Sure this can be applied to games and it ultimately will. But my issue is you or many others don’t understand how important this is moving forward. In one breath you don’t like the idea of it, but would you scoff at the idea of buying a game from the PSN store and then being able to sell that on a third market once you are done with it? Just like a physical used video game would be sold.
I have sold off my used games once. I needed the money, and I sold my old Dendy (NES clone) and Megadrive with all the games I had. I would very dearly love to never have sold them.

I don't like the notion of sell-forward. If you paid for the game and played it, you have been provided content and service for your money. You should not be able to then recover that money - especially not by also denying the game's creators their fair share from another sale. If you didn't like the game there are refunds for that - but it doesn't mean you should be able to play through the game entirely and refund it. It's why refunds have a playtime and ownership time limit.

So let’s apply this to games. Some kid grinds a ton to get a rare in game item. He now owns it. He can transfer it to anyone else. And why not? He put in how many hours to get it? Is it valuable? The market dictates that but at least he has some sense of ownership, instead of the game company just locking it to his account and not allowing him to do anything with it once the servers shut down.
That kid has not been hired by anyone to perform the job of grinding for the item. The purpose of the game is to have fun, it is a purely voluntary activity. Therefore said kid is in no way entitled to monetary recompensation for his time spent with the game, nor any equivalent thereof, such as items he can trade for real money. You are positing a purely fantastical arrangement here - sure, people would like to make money by doing nothing that inconveniences them, but the world cannot function like that.

Why not just have a system wherein a player can be paid real money to grind out or procure and deliver an item? I'm pretty sure a side market for that sort of thing already exists in games like Path of Exile, outside of the internal trade systems of the game. That arrangement works, because it's literally a job, a task one is being paid to perform. A quest, if you will. The item has real, gameplay, value, only in the game anyway - why not keep item ownership tracked within the game where it matters, and perform trades in normal money rather than cryptocurrency? Will anyone really want an IOU for an item from a game that no longer exists, if it shuts down? Most importantly, is the energy cost of running the whole thing compared to traditional setups worth it, just to appease the rich few that might want to keep tags from defunct content as mementos?

It creates wealth for the user when currently there is only wealth being given to Activision, 2k, etc.

Do you have a problem with owning more of what you pay for?
I have a problem with owning more than what you pay for. And no wealth is created - at absolute best, NFTs as trade items create perceived value. The wealth, still comes from regular players. Except instead of going into the pockets of the people actually in charge of maintaining the game, the money mostly goes into the pockets of other players and the maintainers of the cryptocurrency market. Which does not make for a healthy, well-maintained and competently developed game, in the long run. The same problem applies to using NFTs for used digital games resale, btw.

The idea, even if just hinted at with any MMO community, would go down like a lead balloon.
Worse, really. A lead balloon, at least, as Mythbusters proved, with enough painstaking effort can still be made to fly.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
You say "people", but you mean "the users that pay our salaries". That's how MMOs work. So yeah, getting them mad isn't good business and your idea would get them mad as similar attempts have in the past.

Ultra rare != 1. The difference is pretty obvious when you're dealing with player expectations.

The transaction history, the entire thing, would obviously be kept serverside to avoid interference. Again, obvious.

Blockchain tech has nothing to do with your terrible suggestion. The idea, even if just hinted at with any MMO community, would go down like a lead balloon.
You are projecting your own personal opinions on literally everybody else. Just because you didn't like my off hand suggestion and don't really understand what you are talking about doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you. I literally threw out a random idea for something that may be possible using a ledger.

People get upset when they perceive unfairness. If they knew in advance there was only one Sword of whatever +7 in the game and it was part of the lore or whatever, you might find more of a positive culture of reverence for it. It also doesn't have to be just 1 of an item. It also doesn't have to be an item at all, it could be the deed to a fort, license to a vehicle or almost anything else.

"Explaining" the obvious in a condescending way as a way to downplay your own ignorance isn't helpful.

Lanrutcon

You are projecting your own personal opinions on literally everybody else. Just because you didn't like my off hand suggestion and don't really understand what you are talking about doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you. I literally threw out a random idea for something that may be possible using a ledger.

People get upset when they perceive unfairness. If they knew in advance there was only one Sword of whatever +7 in the game and it was part of the lore or whatever, you might find more of a positive culture of reverence for it. It also doesn't have to be just 1 of an item. It also doesn't have to be an item at all, it could be the deed to a fort, license to a vehicle or almost anything else.

No shit. They'd fucking riot. Do you not know anything about how MMOs work? "Positive culture". Yes, I'm sure that's what would cushion the blow when the raid leader tries to figure out who gets the one and only Sword of Discontent after weeks of 3 hours raids attempts, and then explain to every other raiding guild and completionist (you know...the hardcore players that form the core of every MMO community?) that they'll never see it.

"Explaining" the obvious in a condescending way as a way to downplay your own ignorance isn't helpful.

If you want me to stop explaining the obvious to you then you need to stop posting like a complete idiot. I don't know what else to tell you, man. It's like you have literally never played an MMO before. Your idea is like something a sociopath would put into play just to watch a playerbase melt.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
No shit. They'd fucking riot. Do you not know anything about how MMOs work? "Positive culture". Yes, I'm sure that's what would cushion the blow when the raid leader tries to figure out who gets the one and only Sword of Discontent after weeks of 3 hours raids attempts, and then explain to every other raiding guild and completionist (you know...the hardcore players that form the core of every MMO community?) that they'll never see it.

If you want me to stop explaining the obvious to you then you need to stop posting like a complete idiot. I don't know what else to tell you, man. It's like you have literally never played an MMO before. Your idea is like something a sociopath would put into play just to watch a playerbase melt.
And you're so far up your own ass you can't imagine a gameplay feature in an MMO that doesn't exactly match what is currently on the market. Fuck off troll

There will be no positive culture. Even if there will be some who admire it, they will be overshadowed by the majority who, in accordance with the widespread deadly sin of envy, will show nothing but disdain for the player who got the unique item before them. Real-world value and the desire to have thing other guy have that me deserve more has long been the source of the most toxic behavior in online games, and the world in general. Some people have killed other people over virtual items. That's just how humanity is. Combining the naturally competitive environment and mindset of gamers, with anything from envy to greed to simple FOMO, multiplied by the wide scale and reach of videogames and MMOs, and making it so there's no recourse for getting someone to give up a virtual item other than literally, physically, beat it out of them, regular mugging style? That's a recipe for disaster.

manfestival

Enter EA.

Makes sense that the biggest scammer supports scams.
"Wait till you can do ultimate team with a NFT! Your legendary is now a one of a kind but you cannot trade it or use it in any title other than this one! It only costs 600ETH to buy this off of our marketplace!!!!! Buy now before you miss out!"

That's insane to read. Do you have a link to this? Would be interested to learn what happened.
Honestly, I don't remember exact cases. I've just been on the internet and browsing gaming forums for a long time, I remember that it happened at some point. Googling turned up this case from 16 years ago, where a gamer "lent" his valuable artifact weapon to a friend, then stabbed him to death when he found out that said fried had sold it.

I'm pretty sure that this kind of thing doesn't happen often, but it's just the extreme end of the scale of various less violent things people do to others over online matters.
The case is from 16 years ago, but still has some shades of the current NFT business. NFTs aren't protected by law. They are not enforced in any way, so the same problems would happen with them.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

And you're so far up your own ass you can't imagine a gameplay feature in an MMO that doesn't exactly match what is currently on the market. Fuck off troll

You're adorable when you're mad.

Honestly, I don't remember exact cases. I've just been on the internet and browsing gaming forums for a long time, I remember that it happened at some point. Googling turned up this case from 16 years ago, where a gamer "lent" his valuable artifact weapon to a friend, then stabbed him to death when he found out that said fried had sold it.

I also remember a story about some dude who drove to another town to beat up a guy who had won an item in a roll off. Some people are nutso.

Top Bottom