• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The battle over Gamestop is getting really interesting

sn0man

The idea I’ve seen is that Ryan Cohen just reinvent the online market (just look what this guy did with chewy), GameStop closes unprofitable stores, rest of stores become a hub of electronics, TVs, PC parts, consoles can even assemble PC live there in a table.

Their digital sales is still where it’s at, +-250% growth year over year, and without Cohen.
I think there is something to this. Family video experienced a similar boon until Covid. If I understand the benefit it comes down to this: retail is disrupted by digital/online but isn’t erased. Family video was able to see a small but steadily increasing retail rental business while blockbuster Hollywood video et al were crumbling under their own weight and also under wall street pressure.

GameStop isn’t Hollywood video, as the whole stock thread indicates: one is public and one is private. That said the short squeeze is a similar people that think their smart got too smart and didn’t look at the GameStop business as objectively as they could and believes the story of digital transition B&M can’t do anything but die story.

again I’m a stock-curious 30something newb. I don’t know anything and am trying to understand it.

LordOfChaos

what's wrong with obliterating physical

There's good figures and research in this 5 minute clip. What happens to Gamestop in 10+ years is kind of immaterial to this, but physical isn't going anywhere for a while, and they're growing out their digital and closing unprofitable stores.

This is the same guy that called it a year ago, deepfuckingvalue on reddit and Roaring Kitty on YT

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
There's good figures and research in this 5 minute clip. What happens to Gamestop in 10+ years is kind of immaterial to this, but physical isn't going anywhere for a while, and they're growing out their digital and closing unprofitable stores.

This is the same guy that called it a year ago, deepfuckingvalue on reddit and Roaring Kitty on YT

thanks for this, fair enough

performance center looks good, fundamentals and experiential concepts

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I’m gonna be up at market opening like :

bill hader popcorn GIF

A day of gamma squeeze after gamma squeeze and breakers triggering?

I only have 6 shares, i focused mainly on BB since I’m Canadian and have less shit to deal with by buying shares from TSE. I have more coming in but with these money transfers, it’ll be too late for GME most likely.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I’m gonna be up at market opening like :

bill hader popcorn GIF

A day of gamma squeeze after gamma squeeze and breakers triggering?

I only have 6 shares, i focused mainly on BB since I’m Canadian and have less shit to deal with by buying shares from TSE. I have more coming in but with these money transfers, it’ll be too late for GME most likely.

Let's just see about that. Remember that the squeeze has not been squozen yet, not remotely, check the purple line. For shorts, they're actually buying their "dip"! Short squeezes can take weeks and their peaks can last over a day.

u5z6ipuakcd61.jpg

Buggy Loop

Let's just see about that. Remember that the squeeze has not been squozen yet, not remotely, check the purple line. For shorts, they're actually buying their "dip"! Short squeezes can take weeks and their peaks can last over a day.

u5z6ipuakcd61.jpg

Not short squeeze, gamma squeeze!

squeeze grip GIF

ptuck874

Same
When this was thrashing around $7-$10 I was going to jump in, but then the next day it was $35.
100% pure insanity and not real
shoot, I'm glad I can still get my company stock at a decent discount, its gone from 150 a share to 313 or so a share in like 3 years, I hope I am not like an Enron type place :)

Andodalf

Banned
at only 6 shares, it'll be a virtual yacht haha

I just tipped my toes in market for the first time last week, i'm in no way confident with YOLO's way of life. It's always one thing to look back at a stock going up and say "fuck, i should have put all my life savings..." but it could have gone the other way.

100% I could never YOLO like the redditors do. But hey man you just made enough to buy a new console if you got out! not bad for a low risk

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Just watching this for fun. I see it shot to $144 today and is down to around $90 now and still dropping quickly. Is the fun over now?

Buggy Loop

100% I could never YOLO like the redditors do. But hey man you just made enough to buy a new console if you got out! not bad for a low risk

I bought 60 shares in Blackberry at 14.8 cad and a call option at 17.5 for 0.8 cents which jumped 800% today. This will be my main payoff. I thought it made more sense to invest in Blackberry for me because I’m Canadian. Those 6 shares of US stocks will probably give me more headaches with the US/CAD taxes than it was worth haha.

Man this sucks, the broker I'm using is being so annoying with verification; I hope I can get some shares before it jumps even higher.

LordOfChaos

Just watching this for fun. I see it shot to $144 today and is down to around $90 now and still dropping quickly. Is the fun over now?

Paper hands folding and taking a profit, we'll have to see if this impacted short interest at all but I'm guessing it's still over 100% short.

Remember, lemon's price target was 20 dollars. So long as it's above what the shorts were betting on, they're under pressure the longer it stays there, losing money every day and risking getting margin called.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Paper hands folding and taking a profit, we'll have to see if this impacted short interest at all but I'm guessing it's still over 100% short.

Remember, lemon's price target was 20 dollars. So long as it's above what the shorts were betting on, they're under pressure the longer it stays there, losing money every day and risking getting margin called.

Ok I think that was another gamma squeeze right now. 115 was the upper limit for calls and that's when it rocketed.

Shorts are likely holding still. Looking for up to date short data which is held away from us regular investors but I'm more sure the squeeze still has not been squoze.

*Not your financial advisor, just an idiot, yada yada.

longdi

Banned
Oh well lost 100 bucks chasing BB meme.
Back to etf and nvidia.
Another reminder of pump and dump. Chinese scammer have been doing it too, via wechat instead of reddit

These types of surges scare me as a Traditional investor.

Seems that WSB did something people were not prepared for unless you bought in at a low price last month.

Andodalf

Banned
These types of surges scare me as a Traditional investor.

Seems that WSB did something people were not prepared for unless you bought in at a low price last month.

WSB doesn't appear to have the capital to cause all this. It's a weird situation where people made questionable shorts and the market was in a position to punish them. WSB seems to impact the sentiment of the market

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

WSB doesn't appear to have the capital to cause all this. It's a weird situation where people made questionable shorts and the market was in a position to punish them. WSB seems to impact the sentiment of the market

2 million followers, then maybe a fraction of that daring to invest and not just lurking, then how many of those are just throwing a 100~1000$ for shit and giggles. There’s not that many big whales on WSB.

The media is trying to put this on WSB, but it’s mathematically impossible. Maybe it’s the hedge funds who went to the media to cry that got the attention? If every traders, worldwide smells fear and blood, you can be sure it’ll move a lot of volume. WSB is not a 150M volume mover... media’s are either finding a scapegoat or are just fucking ignorant.

A.Romero

I got in last week so I already made quite a profit. I decided to put in money I can lose so I'm going to ride it to the end.

Remember, for this to really work positions have to be longer. Try to bet money you can lose and bet for it to go really high. The $150+ that it hit today is nothing compared to what it can get to.

Just drop any amount of money you wouldn't really miss if it doesn't work (although it seems all the factors are there) and stay. No rent money but maybe what you were thinking of spending in a new GPU or a new console (when they are available).

Also, Gamestop has a comprehensive strategy in the works. They want to sell PC hardware. As a gaming enthusiast I hope they do it. We need more microcenters. This is worth looking into for a longer position.

Disclaimer: I do this for fun and none of what I'm saying should be taken as investment advice.

AJUMP23

2 million followers, then maybe a fraction of that daring to invest and not just lurking, then how many of those are just throwing a 100~1000$ for shit and giggles. There’s not that many big whales on WSB.

The media is trying to put this on WSB, but it’s mathematically impossible. Maybe it’s the hedge funds who went to the media to cry that got the attention? If every traders, worldwide smells fear and blood, you can be sure it’ll move a lot of volume. WSB is not a 150M volume mover... media’s are either finding a scapegoat or are just fucking ignorant.
WSB believes they are the mover though. They take pride in manipulating the market. I wish I would have bought some calls last week in GME on Monday, but I was skittish.

LordOfChaos

They control 5, maybe up to 10% of the stock, but what they are controlling is sentiment. This is leaking into the mainstream media now and many of the memes are hitting reddit all. Lots of eyes in there now.

All it has to do to beat the shorts is hold the line above their target.

Last edited:
Top Bottom